user profile

I would like to place icons on the desktop of one of the users of my computer
but it indicates "access denied" when I try to move things into the folder
"desktop" for this user. I have administration access and can use this
function on other users.
Any advice would be appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about user profile

    "skittles" <skittles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I would like to place icons on the desktop of one of the users of my
    computer
    > but it indicates "access denied" when I try to move things into the folder
    > "desktop" for this user. I have administration access and can use this
    > function on other users.
    > Any advice would be appreciated.

    Is he also an admin user?
    Try making his account a limited user account
    Add the icon
    Change him back

    > "skittles" <skittles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I would like to place icons on the desktop of one of the users of my
    > computer
    >> but it indicates "access denied" when I try to move things into the
    >> folder
    >> "desktop" for this user. I have administration access and can use this
    >> function on other users.
    >> Any advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > Is he also an admin user?
    > Try making his account a limited user account
    > Add the icon
    > Change him back

    If the other user is also an admin, this should not have happened, because
    by default Administrators have access to all user directories in XP pro.
    therefore lowering his 'status' won't do much good either, because I suspect
    your own admin account does *not* have any ntfs file permissions in that
    users directory structure.
    This could have happened because the other user (possibly administrator
    himself) has removed Administrators from the security settings in his
    structure.
    Because you are also administrator you can add yourself (or the group
    Administrators) back to the security settings of the user directory
    structure and then you should be able to add something to his desktop.

    hth

    george

    "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > If the other user is also an admin, this should not have happened, because
    > by default Administrators have access to all user directories in XP pro.

    Not on my PC they can't. I have two admin users set up and they can't see
    each others files. I didn't mess with any access permissions either.

Desktops Microsoft Windows XP