My Briefcase

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

I accidentally deleted My Briefcase from my desktop. I have tried the
suggested solution of going to Windows Explorer, selecting the location I
would like for My Briefcase and selecting File, New, Briefcase Folder - but I
just don't get the option for a Briefcase Folder! Same when I try
right-clicking on my Desktop. I have tried reinstalling this Windows
Component but when I go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Progs., Windows Setup
tab - the "My Briefcase" application isn't listed where it was in Accessories.

Please can anyone help - I've even tried reinstalling Windows but to no avail.

Thanks folks.

On Tue, 3 May 2005 12:07:14 -0700, Adrian
<Adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I accidentally deleted My Briefcase from my desktop. I have tried the
>suggested solution of going to Windows Explorer, selecting the location I
>would like for My Briefcase and selecting File, New, Briefcase Folder - but I
>just don't get the option for a Briefcase Folder! Same when I try
>right-clicking on my Desktop. I have tried reinstalling this Windows
>Component but when I go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Progs., Windows Setup
>tab - the "My Briefcase" application isn't listed where it was in Accessories.
>
>Please can anyone help - I've even tried reinstalling Windows but to no avail.
>
>Thanks folks.

Adrian,

If you deleted it and it's not in the Recycle Bin then it should
appear in the NEW menu. Strange that it doesn't unless it's hidden
behind another shortcut.

Try this:
Create a new folder on the desktop and give it this name instead of
New Folder. Copy paste it. After naming it right click it and make
it read only. Be sure to include the period, 4 hyphens and brackets.
Briefcase.{85BBD920-42A0-1069-A2E4-08002B30309D}

If it doesn't work try renaming it to My Briefcase. The folder MUST
be empty to rename it.
Check to see if it works. If not, delete it.

If you re--install Windows look for other features to add, maybe
some portable options.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

Message at end

On Tue, 03 May 2005 16:27:15 -0400, Bill Watt <nobwatt@ptd.net>
wrote:

>On Tue, 3 May 2005 12:07:14 -0700, Adrian
><Adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I accidentally deleted My Briefcase from my desktop. I have tried the
>>suggested solution of going to Windows Explorer, selecting the location I
>>would like for My Briefcase and selecting File, New, Briefcase Folder - but I
>>just don't get the option for a Briefcase Folder! Same when I try
>>right-clicking on my Desktop. I have tried reinstalling this Windows
>>Component but when I go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Progs., Windows Setup
>>tab - the "My Briefcase" application isn't listed where it was in Accessories.
>>
>>Please can anyone help - I've even tried reinstalling Windows but to no avail.
>>
>>Thanks folks.
>
>Adrian,
>
>If you deleted it and it's not in the Recycle Bin then it should
>appear in the NEW menu. Strange that it doesn't unless it's hidden
>behind another shortcut.
>
>Try this:
>Create a new folder on the desktop and give it this name instead of
>New Folder. Copy paste it. After naming it right click it and make
>it read only. Be sure to include the period, 4 hyphens and brackets.
>Briefcase.{85BBD920-42A0-1069-A2E4-08002B30309D}
>
>If it doesn't work try renaming it to My Briefcase. The folder MUST
>be empty to rename it.
>Check to see if it works. If not, delete it.
>
>If you re--install Windows look for other features to add, maybe
>some portable options.

Also with TweakUI under the NEW or Desktop tabs you may be able to
check My Briefcase to put it in the NEW menu or on the Desktop.

I can't test them because mine is in use.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

Good point, Bill. If TweakUI is installed, My Briefcase may be un-checked from
either or both of those locations, and check-marking them should fix it.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

On Tue, 3 May 2005 22:09:08 -0400, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
wrote:

>Good point, Bill. If TweakUI is installed, My Briefcase may be un-checked from
>either or both of those locations, and check-marking them should fix it.

Hi Glen,

As you can see, it was an after thought. :)

Hope it helps.