Startup hangs after installing Windows patches

Hello all,

I've just installed three Windows patches using Windows Update, and now my
machine will not complete the startup - it hangs with an hourglass, and C-A-D
allows restart. Any ideas on what I can do to try to fix this?

Many thanks,

The hang appears to be near the end of the startup - antivirus is started,
and there are various normal items showing in the right of the Start bar.

I didn't note which fixes were installed, but I think two were Windows and
one was Internet Explorer.

So far, based on items on this forum, I've tried:
Running anti-virus in safe mode
Checking device manager for obvious problems
Removing the ethernet cable to broadband
10 answers Last reply
More about startup hangs installing windows patches

    Glen won't mind if I steal his nice, concise advice on this subject:
    ------------------------
    Follow the procedures here:
    Blank Desktop or Illegal Operations Error Message After You Install
    Internet
    Explorer:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=kb;en-us;249191

    If those procedures do not help, have a look here:
    Recovering From a Failed Internet Explorer Upgrade in Windows 98:
    http://www.cs.bsu.edu/~gjjones/administrivia/stories/2003/03/21/recoveringFromAFailedInternetExplorerUpgradeInWindows98.html
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/r5ba

    Especially this section at the end:

    "If you still have boot problems after you reboot, you should use the
    command prompt
    to edit the c:\windows\system.ini file. On the command line type edit
    c:\windows\system.ini.

    "Once it is open, change the line shell=explorer.exe to
    shell=progman.exe. What you
    are doing here is changing the default shell (that is having problems)
    from the
    Windows Explorer to the old Windows Program Manager shell.

    "Reboot Windows. It should now successfully boot with no errors into an
    empty
    Program Manager shell. Use the File | Run | Browse drop down menu
    selection to
    browse to c:\program files\internet explorer and launch ie5setup.exe or
    ie6setup.exe
    (depending on what is there). Do a custom install and check all the Bold
    faced
    options. When the setup program alerts you that these files are already
    installed,
    tell it to reinstall all of the files.

    "When the Internet Explorer Setup program is done and reboots, hit the
    F8 key to
    bring up a Boot Menu. Choose Command Prompt and boot to the command
    prompt. Once
    there, type edit c:\windows\system.ini and, once it is open, change the
    line
    shell=progman.exe back to shell=explorer.exe. Save and exit the file.
    You have now
    set the shell back to the original value."

    Right, Glen, <g>?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I've just installed three Windows patches using Windows Update, and
    now my
    > machine will not complete the startup - it hangs with an hourglass,
    and C-A-D
    > allows restart. Any ideas on what I can do to try to fix this?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > The hang appears to be near the end of the startup - antivirus is
    started,
    > and there are various normal items showing in the right of the Start
    bar.

    > I didn't note which fixes were installed, but I think two were Windows
    and
    > one was Internet Explorer.
    >
    > So far, based on items on this forum, I've tried:
    > Running anti-virus in safe mode
    > Checking device manager for obvious problems
    > Removing the ethernet cable to broadband

    Hey! ;-)

    > Glen won't mind if I steal his nice, concise advice on this subject:

    You say you tried running the virus scan in Safe Mode, leading me to assume that you
    *can* start in Safe Mode. If that is the case, the info of mine that Gary posted is
    not likely to help (though it may). Did you install any *Driver* updates from WU,
    or just Critical updates?
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I've just installed three Windows patches using Windows Update, and now my
    > machine will not complete the startup - it hangs with an hourglass, and C-A-D
    > allows restart. Any ideas on what I can do to try to fix this?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > The hang appears to be near the end of the startup - antivirus is started,
    > and there are various normal items showing in the right of the Start bar.
    >
    > I didn't note which fixes were installed, but I think two were Windows and
    > one was Internet Explorer.
    >
    > So far, based on items on this forum, I've tried:
    > Running anti-virus in safe mode
    > Checking device manager for obvious problems
    > Removing the ethernet cable to broadband

    Thanks both for such quick replies.

    I installed only the critical updates. The system seems to hang right at
    the end of the startup process, so the icons are all visible on the screen,
    and the 'Start' button works for a short while.

    I tried looking at the task manager as it booted, and it appeared to get to
    an application in the Startup folder, so I removed this entry in Safe mode
    but still no joy

    "glee" wrote:

    > You say you tried running the virus scan in Safe Mode, leading me to assume that you
    > *can* start in Safe Mode. If that is the case, the info of mine that Gary posted is
    > not likely to help (though it may). Did you install any *Driver* updates from WU,
    > or just Critical updates?
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >
    > "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > I've just installed three Windows patches using Windows Update, and now my
    > > machine will not complete the startup - it hangs with an hourglass, and C-A-D
    > > allows restart. Any ideas on what I can do to try to fix this?
    > >
    > > Many thanks,
    > >
    > > The hang appears to be near the end of the startup - antivirus is started,
    > > and there are various normal items showing in the right of the Start bar.
    > >
    > > I didn't note which fixes were installed, but I think two were Windows and
    > > one was Internet Explorer.
    > >
    > > So far, based on items on this forum, I've tried:
    > > Running anti-virus in safe mode
    > > Checking device manager for obvious problems
    > > Removing the ethernet cable to broadband

    After trying the advice, some interesting findings:

    Firstly though, I'm in the wrong place here as my machine is ME - should I
    repost?

    I tried the shell=progman idea, but could not find ie5setup.exe or
    ie6setup.exe
    After switching back to shell=explorer.exe, I tried hitting C-A-D
    frequently, to try to look at the Close Program diaglog and see what was
    running when the system hung. Astonishingly, it completed when I did this,
    but not the next time!

    "Andrew" wrote:

    > Thanks both for such quick replies.
    >
    > I installed only the critical updates. The system seems to hang right at
    > the end of the startup process, so the icons are all visible on the screen,
    > and the 'Start' button works for a short while.
    >
    > I tried looking at the task manager as it booted, and it appeared to get to
    > an application in the Startup folder, so I removed this entry in Safe mode
    > but still no joy
    >
    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    > > You say you tried running the virus scan in Safe Mode, leading me to assume that you
    > > *can* start in Safe Mode. If that is the case, the info of mine that Gary posted is
    > > not likely to help (though it may). Did you install any *Driver* updates from WU,
    > > or just Critical updates?
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >
    > > "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hello all,
    > > >
    > > > I've just installed three Windows patches using Windows Update, and now my
    > > > machine will not complete the startup - it hangs with an hourglass, and C-A-D
    > > > allows restart. Any ideas on what I can do to try to fix this?
    > > >
    > > > Many thanks,
    > > >
    > > > The hang appears to be near the end of the startup - antivirus is started,
    > > > and there are various normal items showing in the right of the Start bar.
    > > >
    > > > I didn't note which fixes were installed, but I think two were Windows and
    > > > one was Internet Explorer.
    > > >
    > > > So far, based on items on this forum, I've tried:
    > > > Running anti-virus in safe mode
    > > > Checking device manager for obvious problems
    > > > Removing the ethernet cable to broadband

    is one of those updates kb89171?. had the same sort of impact on my puter.
    if it is go into safe mode, get into msconfig and turn off the kb891711
    start-up file - in config sys.

    > After trying the advice, some interesting findings:
    >
    > Firstly though, I'm in the wrong place here as my machine is ME - should I
    > repost?
    >
    > I tried the shell=progman idea, but could not find ie5setup.exe or
    > ie6setup.exe
    > After switching back to shell=explorer.exe, I tried hitting C-A-D
    > frequently, to try to look at the Close Program diaglog and see what was
    > running when the system hung. Astonishingly, it completed when I did
    this,
    > but not the next time!
    >

    > "Andrew" wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks both for such quick replies.
    > >
    > > I installed only the critical updates. The system seems to hang right
    at
    > > the end of the startup process, so the icons are all visible on the
    screen,
    > > and the 'Start' button works for a short while.
    > >
    > > I tried looking at the task manager as it booted, and it appeared to get
    > > an application in the Startup folder, so I removed this entry in Safe
    mode
    > > but still no joy
    > >
    > > "glee" wrote:
    > >
    > > > You say you tried running the virus scan in Safe Mode, leading me to
    assume that you
    > > > *can* start in Safe Mode. If that is the case, the info of mine that
    Gary posted is
    > > > not likely to help (though it may). Did you install any *Driver*
    updates from WU,
    > > > or just Critical updates?
    > > > --
    > > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > > >
    > > > "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Windows and

    Gavin, have you installed the recently (12 Apr-05) re-released 891711?
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Gavin wrote:
    > is one of those updates kb89171?. had the same sort of impact on my
    > puter. if it is go into safe mode, get into msconfig and turn off the
    > kb891711 start-up file - in config sys.

    Hi Gavin, PA Bear and others

    The problem appears to be KB891711 - it appears to have a conflict with my
    Zonelabs firewall, and after removing it using msconfig it works correctly.

    I installed KB891711 on Wednesday 4th May

    There are a bunch of other details that I will post in the ME folder to
    assist with PD

    Regards and thanks.
    Andrew

    "PA Bear" wrote:

    > Gavin, have you installed the recently (12 Apr-05) re-released 891711?
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >
    > Gavin wrote:
    > > is one of those updates kb89171?. had the same sort of impact on my
    > > puter. if it is go into safe mode, get into msconfig and turn off the
    > > kb891711 start-up file - in config sys.

    That happened to me when I installed the KB981711 update. The moment my
    ZoneAlarm firewall started, the system froze completely. I have had to
    uninstall KB891711. The reissued KB891711 has the same problem.

    I'm now looking for a different firewall.

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 08:50:15 -0400, Andrew
    <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > After trying the advice, some interesting findings:
    >
    > Firstly though, I'm in the wrong place here as my machine is ME - should
    > repost?
    >
    > I tried the shell=progman idea, but could not find ie5setup.exe or
    > ie6setup.exe
    > After switching back to shell=explorer.exe, I tried hitting C-A-D
    > frequently, to try to look at the Close Program diaglog and see what was
    > running when the system hung. Astonishingly, it completed when I did
    > this,
    > but not the next time!
    >

    > "Andrew" wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks both for such quick replies.
    >>
    >> I installed only the critical updates. The system seems to hang right
    >> at
    >> the end of the startup process, so the icons are all visible on the
    >> screen,
    >> and the 'Start' button works for a short while.
    >>
    >> I tried looking at the task manager as it booted, and it appeared to
    >> get to
    >> an application in the Startup folder, so I removed this entry in Safe
    >> mode
    >> but still no joy
    >>
    >> "glee" wrote:
    >>
    >> > You say you tried running the virus scan in Safe Mode, leading me to
    >> assume that you
    >> > *can* start in Safe Mode. If that is the case, the info of mine that
    >> Gary posted is
    >> > not likely to help (though it may). Did you install any *Driver*
    >> updates from WU,
    >> > or just Critical updates?
    >> > --
    >> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >> >
    >> > "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >> now my
    >> and C-A-D

    >> started,
    >> Start bar.

    >> Windows and

    What version of ZA were you using? IIRC, the problem is known and exists with
    previous versions of ZA. Have you tried upgrading to the latest version of ZA?
    --

    "Alan Macdonald" <dd323@deletemencf.ca> wrote in message
    > That happened to me when I installed the KB981711 update. The moment my
    > ZoneAlarm firewall started, the system froze completely. I have had to
    > uninstall KB891711. The reissued KB891711 has the same problem.
    >
    > I'm now looking for a different firewall.
    >

    > On Wed, 04 May 2005 08:50:15 -0400, Andrew
    > <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > After trying the advice, some interesting findings:
    > >
    > > Firstly though, I'm in the wrong place here as my machine is ME - should
    > > repost?
    > >
    > > I tried the shell=progman idea, but could not find ie5setup.exe or
    > > ie6setup.exe
    > > After switching back to shell=explorer.exe, I tried hitting C-A-D
    > > frequently, to try to look at the Close Program diaglog and see what was
    > > running when the system hung. Astonishingly, it completed when I did
    > > this,
    > > but not the next time!
    > >

    > > "Andrew" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Thanks both for such quick replies.
    > >>
    > >> I installed only the critical updates. The system seems to hang right
    > >> at
    > >> the end of the startup process, so the icons are all visible on the
    > >> screen,
    > >> and the 'Start' button works for a short while.
    > >>
    > >> I tried looking at the task manager as it booted, and it appeared to
    > >> get to
    > >> an application in the Startup folder, so I removed this entry in Safe
    > >> mode
    > >> but still no joy

    > >> assume that you
    > >> Gary posted is