I've not installed an update in years because of bad exper..

.... however, now that I'm more familiar with my computer, wanted to
give it another try.

Whenever I think about this issue, I marvel at myself. I have a
firewall, Ad-Aware, 2 av programs, Spybox and Hijack This but have not
resolved this updates issue.

I don't like automatic updates of any kind, however; where do I go to
get the latest update pls? I'm determined to learn how to do this
esp. so that the updates don't mess up my system like the only time I
ever did this.

Thanks so much.
12 answers Last reply
More about installed update years exper

    Here you go:

    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

    It's not fully automatic because you have to visit the site but Windows
    Update does perform an automatic scan of your OS to determine exactly which
    updates you need.

    Regards

    Daniel

    "StargateFan" wrote:

    > .... however, now that I'm more familiar with my computer, wanted to
    > give it another try.
    >
    > Whenever I think about this issue, I marvel at myself. I have a
    > firewall, Ad-Aware, 2 av programs, Spybox and Hijack This but have not
    > resolved this updates issue.
    >
    > I don't like automatic updates of any kind, however; where do I go to
    > get the latest update pls? I'm determined to learn how to do this
    > esp. so that the updates don't mess up my system like the only time I
    > ever did this.
    >
    > Thanks so much.

    Since you don't explain about the "bad experience" you had, there's no
    way to address that issue directly.

    The best way to update, by far, is at Windows Updates. Not only does it
    tell you which updates you need, it installs them in the proper order.
    Very few people are knowledgeable enough about Windows to make picking
    and choosing a smart thing to do. Read the "More info" write-ups, for
    sure, but install *all* Critical and updates, and even most of the
    Important ones.

    The best defense against possible screw-ups at Windows Updates is proper
    backup. The simplest of these backups is the automatic Registry backup
    that is created by SCANREGW during the first boot of any day, assuming
    you haven't disabled that. In almost all cases, restoring a Registry
    backup will at least let you back into Windows in order to make further
    repairs to an update gone bad. You restore a Registry backup but booting
    to Command Prompt Only and running the following:

    smartdrv
    scanreg /restore

    SMARTDRV is a DOS virtual memory that helps large operations run more
    smoothly. When using Scanreg /restore, always pay attention to dates,
    not filenames, and choose the most recent backup that preceds your
    problem.

    There is one thing that may occur for which you will need more drastic
    techniques, and it usually happens if some update to Internet Explorer
    goes wrong. SInce most updates are essentially Internet Explorer
    updates... see where I'm going? So, here's the instructions for
    recovering from such a problem. I have *never* seen this problem myself,
    but we deal with it often enough in this group that it's prudent to have
    the instructions printed and handy. Here they are as explained by Glen
    Ventura, MVP:

    Follow the procedures here:
    Blank Desktop or Illegal Operations Error Message After You Install
    Internet
    Explorer:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=kb;en-us;249191

    If those procedures do not help, have a look here:
    Recovering From a Failed Internet Explorer Upgrade in Windows 98:
    http://www.cs.bsu.edu/~gjjones/administrivia/stories/2003/03/21/recoveringFromAFailedInternetExplorerUpgradeInWindows98.html
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/r5ba

    Especially this section at the end:

    "If you still have boot problems after you reboot, you should use the
    command prompt
    to edit the c:\windows\system.ini file. On the command line type edit
    c:\windows\system.ini.

    "Once it is open, change the line shell=explorer.exe to
    shell=progman.exe. What you
    are doing here is changing the default shell (that is having problems)
    from the
    Windows Explorer to the old Windows Program Manager shell.

    "Reboot Windows. It should now successfully boot with no errors into an
    empty
    Program Manager shell. Use the File | Run | Browse drop down menu
    selection to
    browse to c:\program files\internet explorer and launch ie5setup.exe or
    ie6setup.exe
    (depending on what is there). Do a custom install and check all the Bold
    faced
    options. When the setup program alerts you that these files are already
    installed,
    tell it to reinstall all of the files.

    "When the Internet Explorer Setup program is done and reboots, hit the
    F8 key to
    bring up a Boot Menu. Choose Command Prompt and boot to the command
    prompt. Once
    there, type edit c:\windows\system.ini and, once it is open, change the
    line
    shell=progman.exe back to shell=explorer.exe. Save and exit the file.
    You have now
    set the shell back to the original value."

    Again, I've *never* had to do any of these emergency procedures, at
    least not because of problems with Windows Updates. The worst that's
    happened was I had to uninstall an update and use IE Repair or
    force-reinstall IE. One of the reasons I'm so "lucky" is that I prepare
    properly for these procedures. The methods I use are explained in the
    two articles in the links in my signature. I link to them because I was
    writing and rewriting them so often, I figured it would work better if I
    made permanent copies of those two "master posts", put them on my
    private site, and linked to them instead.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "StargateFan" <IDon'tAcceptSpam@IDon'tAcceptSpam.com> wrote in message
    > ... however, now that I'm more familiar with my computer, wanted to
    > give it another try.
    >
    > Whenever I think about this issue, I marvel at myself. I have a
    > firewall, Ad-Aware, 2 av programs, Spybox and Hijack This but have not
    > resolved this updates issue.
    >
    > I don't like automatic updates of any kind, however; where do I go to
    > get the latest update pls? I'm determined to learn how to do this
    > esp. so that the updates don't mess up my system like the only time I
    > ever did this.
    >
    > Thanks so much.

    Be careful of update kb891711 caused me a lot of problems - i'm operating
    the first release of 98.

    For a while i didn't think i'd get back into the computer. This was about
    three months ago. It might be an idea to make sure they've solved the
    problem with it.

    If you have any problems feel free to ask me.
    Gavin

    "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Here you go:
    >
    > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    >
    > It's not fully automatic because you have to visit the site but Windows
    > Update does perform an automatic scan of your OS to determine exactly
    which
    > updates you need.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Daniel
    >

    > "StargateFan" wrote:
    >
    > > .... however, now that I'm more familiar with my computer, wanted to
    > > give it another try.
    > >
    > > Whenever I think about this issue, I marvel at myself. I have a
    > > firewall, Ad-Aware, 2 av programs, Spybox and Hijack This but have not
    > > resolved this updates issue.
    > >
    > > I don't like automatic updates of any kind, however; where do I go to
    > > get the latest update pls? I'm determined to learn how to do this
    > > esp. so that the updates don't mess up my system like the only time I
    > > ever did this.
    > >
    > > Thanks so much.

    KB891711 was fixed a month ago.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Gavin" <gavin_masonNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Be careful of update kb891711 caused me a lot of problems - i'm
    operating
    > the first release of 98.
    >
    > For a while i didn't think i'd get back into the computer. This was
    about
    > three months ago. It might be an idea to make sure they've solved the
    > problem with it.
    >
    > If you have any problems feel free to ask me.
    > Gavin
    >

    > "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Here you go:
    > >
    > > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    > >
    > > It's not fully automatic because you have to visit the site but
    Windows
    > > Update does perform an automatic scan of your OS to determine
    exactly
    > which
    > > updates you need.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > Daniel
    > >

    > > "StargateFan" wrote:
    > >
    > > > .... however, now that I'm more familiar with my computer, wanted
    > > > give it another try.
    > > >
    > > > Whenever I think about this issue, I marvel at myself. I have a
    > > > firewall, Ad-Aware, 2 av programs, Spybox and Hijack This but have
    not
    > > > resolved this updates issue.
    > > >
    > > > I don't like automatic updates of any kind, however; where do I go
    > > > get the latest update pls? I'm determined to learn how to do this
    > > > esp. so that the updates don't mess up my system like the only
    time I
    > > > ever did this.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks so much.

    On Wed, 4 May 2005 12:50:06 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
    <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Since you don't explain about the "bad experience" you had, there's no
    >way to address that issue directly.
    >
    >The best way to update, by far, is at Windows Updates. Not only does it
    >tell you which updates you need, it installs them in the proper order.
    >Very few people are knowledgeable enough about Windows to make picking
    >and choosing a smart thing to do. Read the "More info" write-ups, for
    >sure, but install *all* Critical and updates, and even most of the
    >Important ones.

    [snip]

    Thank you for the comprehensive response! I appreciate it. Sorry if
    I posted my question again before this. I hadn't realized that I
    accidentally put the messages to 0 in this ng in my Agent. I'd
    probably done it by mistake instead of another ng that I don't use
    very much but keep subscribed to in case needed in future.

    No, I haven't disabled anything but I don't have that "Windows update"
    icon anywhere. I'm sure there is a secondary place to get Windows
    updates on my installation?

    Thanks so much. Armed with these instructions, I should do much
    better than the last time without resorting to an OS nuke/re-install.

    Cheers! :oD

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 21:38:43 -0400, StargateFan
    <IDon'tAcceptSpam@IDon'tAcceptSpam.com> wrote:

    >On Wed, 4 May 2005 12:50:06 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
    ><grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

    [snip]

    >No, I haven't disabled anything but I don't have that "Windows update"
    >icon anywhere. I'm sure there is a secondary place to get Windows
    >updates on my installation?

    [snip]

    Ah, just found the other thread re this and an MS website was given to
    do this with. Thanks everyone for your kind help. :oD

    OK, but it's also found in the Tools menu of Internet Explorer, which is
    usually what people use to get Windows Updates, even if they don't
    usually use IE for day-to-day browsing. As I understand it, you *can*
    use certain other browsers for WU, but it's not recommended, and I
    wouldn't know how to go about it.

    Windows Updates itself occasionally gets updated, but you will be
    automatically redirected if your version is out of date, and prompted to
    install the latest version for your version of Windows.

    --

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > Since you don't explain about the "bad experience" you had, there's no
    > way to address that issue directly.
    >
    > The best way to update, by far, is at Windows Updates. Not only does it
    > tell you which updates you need, it installs them in the proper order.
    > Very few people are knowledgeable enough about Windows to make picking
    > and choosing a smart thing to do. Read the "More info" write-ups, for
    > sure, but install *all* Critical and updates, and even most of the
    > Important ones.

    Until recently, I too was a Windows update virgin. Not because of
    a bad experience, but because of nervousness. For several years,
    I'd been making reasonably regular tape backups, but I'd never
    had to use one of them to do a full restore, and since I have
    an OEM Win98SE, I knew I'd have to start by going back to the
    original factory state of my machine, and if the full restore
    then failed I'd lose all my data and the software I'd installed
    (some with downloads and therefore no CDs).

    Finally came the day when I _did_ have to do a full tape restore,
    which worked (and took a full twenty-four-hour day). This broke
    the anxiety logjam, and I did my first update and have kept
    up to date since. Plus, I upgraded to a recording DVD drive
    and installed Acronis True Image, so now I can do a full restore
    in about an hour, and have two restore options. Some of this
    will be familiar to you, Gary, since you're one of those who
    helped me.

    What I'm getting at, I guess, is that Windows Update can be a
    scary thing to some of us. Virginity, or badly lost virginity,
    can be like that. :)

    "StargateFan" <IDon'tAcceptSpam@IDon'tAcceptSpam.com> wrote in message
    > ... however, now that I'm more familiar with my computer, wanted to
    > give it another try.
    >
    > Whenever I think about this issue, I marvel at myself. I have a
    > firewall, Ad-Aware, 2 av programs, Spybox and Hijack This but have not
    > resolved this updates issue.
    >
    > I don't like automatic updates of any kind, however; where do I go to
    > get the latest update pls? I'm determined to learn how to do this
    > esp. so that the updates don't mess up my system like the only time I
    > ever did this.
    >
    > Thanks so much.

    Some update failures are user related. They won't wait until its done
    installing, turn off the PC or whatever.

    Some updates can be made easier on the PC to install if you do one at a
    time. And reboot at each and everyone upon completion, whether or not a
    reboot is called for.

    Since you haven't done this for awhile, you probably have many to install as
    a result.

    What gets me is that people will do all kinds of horribly risky
    programming on their systems--like installing Norton products, to take
    one prominent example--and think nothing of it. But won't Update Windows
    because it's too "risky".

    It's just soooo illogical, <s>.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Anthony Buckland" <buckland@direct.ca> wrote in message
    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > Since you don't explain about the "bad experience" you had, there's
    no
    > > way to address that issue directly.
    > >
    > > The best way to update, by far, is at Windows Updates. Not only does
    it
    > > tell you which updates you need, it installs them in the proper
    order.
    > > Very few people are knowledgeable enough about Windows to make
    picking
    > > and choosing a smart thing to do. Read the "More info" write-ups,
    for
    > > sure, but install *all* Critical and updates, and even most of the
    > > Important ones.
    >
    > Until recently, I too was a Windows update virgin. Not because of
    > a bad experience, but because of nervousness. For several years,
    > I'd been making reasonably regular tape backups, but I'd never
    > had to use one of them to do a full restore, and since I have
    > an OEM Win98SE, I knew I'd have to start by going back to the
    > original factory state of my machine, and if the full restore
    > then failed I'd lose all my data and the software I'd installed
    > (some with downloads and therefore no CDs).
    >
    > Finally came the day when I _did_ have to do a full tape restore,
    > which worked (and took a full twenty-four-hour day). This broke
    > the anxiety logjam, and I did my first update and have kept
    > up to date since. Plus, I upgraded to a recording DVD drive
    > and installed Acronis True Image, so now I can do a full restore
    > in about an hour, and have two restore options. Some of this
    > will be familiar to you, Gary, since you're one of those who
    > helped me.
    >
    > What I'm getting at, I guess, is that Windows Update can be a
    > scary thing to some of us. Virginity, or badly lost virginity,
    > can be like that. :)

    > ... however, now that I'm more familiar with my computer, wanted to
    > give it another try.

    Dont, all i can say is Dont.
    if your comp is running fine, then stay away from m.s updates
    unless you want headaches and a subscription to this group for
    months asking for help to fix the mess the updates made.
    your choice friend.

    Best advice I can offer the WinUP newbie is to take it easy, no more
    than 2 little updates at one time. The large ones should be done one
    at a time.

    See also
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=08b1ac1b-7a11-43e8-b59d-0867f9bdda66

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A8A18F6-249C-4A72-BFCF-FC6AF26DC390&displaylang=en