jpg files with bad association

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
May 4, 2005 5:39:04 PM

Hi,

My jpg files seem to associated to a programme called Vidfun exe which i
have long since deleted from the computer.

I have tried to change the associations to explorer to no avail. I can't
even prompt explorer to open the file by using explorer to open the JPG.
Macromedia's fireworks opens it fine.

Can anyone explain what is going on and how to change it.

Thanks for your assistance in advance.

Regards.
Gavin
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 5:39:05 PM

"Gavin" <gavin_masonNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> My jpg files seem to associated to a programme called Vidfun exe which i
> have long since deleted from the computer.
>
> I have tried to change the associations to explorer to no avail. I can't
> even prompt explorer to open the file by using explorer to open the JPG.
> Macromedia's fireworks opens it fine.

1. Theory: / start / help / "file extensions"
select "associating with programs."

2. Explorer is a viewer much inferior to the
free one from www.irfanview.com

3. Practice: select one JPG icon and right click.
Select "Open with . . . "
Select IRFANVIEW either from the list or via / Browse
Leave unselected the box "always use this app for this tiletype"
Click OK.
If your selected app opens your file OK, repeat the process
and this time select the box "always use this app for this tiletype"

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

How to Create a File Association in Windows 98 and Windows Me
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q306493

Getting/Using Open With from the popup menu

Left click once on a file you want to associate with a program to hilite it.
Next hold down the Shift key and right click on it to get the popup menu.
Select "Open With" from the list.
Select the program you want to open it with by left clicking it once.
Put a check in "Always open......."
Click Apply/Ok.

**Note: You may find it better to leave "Always open......." unchecked until
you are sure that you have the correct program you want to use. Once you are
sure of the program to use, then check it.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Gavin" <gavin_masonNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My jpg files seem to associated to a programme called Vidfun exe which i
> have long since deleted from the computer.
>
> I have tried to change the associations to explorer to no avail. I can't
> even prompt explorer to open the file by using explorer to open the JPG.
> Macromedia's fireworks opens it fine.
>
> Can anyone explain what is going on and how to change it.
>
> Thanks for your assistance in advance.
>
> Regards.
> Gavin

Related resources
May 4, 2005 8:44:23 PM

Have you tried shift right clicking ie holding the shift key down whilst
right clicking on a JPG file then on the menu select Open With..
Select iexplore to select Internet Explorer to open the files and then click
the box to always open the files with that program if you wish.

Zippy

"Gavin" <gavin_masonNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My jpg files seem to associated to a programme called Vidfun exe which i
> have long since deleted from the computer.
>
> I have tried to change the associations to explorer to no avail. I can't
> even prompt explorer to open the file by using explorer to open the JPG.
> Macromedia's fireworks opens it fine.
>
> Can anyone explain what is going on and how to change it.
>
> Thanks for your assistance in advance.
>
> Regards.
> Gavin

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 9:54:19 PM

"Gavin" <gavin_masonNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> My jpg files seem to associated to a programme called Vidfun exe which i
> have long since deleted from the computer.
>
> I have tried to change the associations to explorer to no avail. I can't
> even prompt explorer to open the file by using explorer to open the JPG.
> Macromedia's fireworks opens it fine.

1. Theory: / start / help / "file extensions"
select "associating with programs."

2. Explorer is a viewer much inferior to the
free one from www.irfanview.com

3. Practice: select one JPG icon and Shift + right click.

!