BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I posted last week about a stability problem, here is what I found.I built a new system and loadedit. I started having small crashes every day on lots of programs. I tested the memory no errors. I had corsair mem installed. 3200 400 " 4 512 chips" I finally removed all the corsair and replace it with kingston and now have no problems. Bruce

Antec full tower
480 watt PS
MSI K8N Neo 4 plat. Mobo
EVGA 6800XT video
2 gig Kingston 3200 mem
Sony dual layer dvd burner
Lite on DVD Rom
Floppy
Creative Labs audigy 2 gamer
AMD 3800 x2 64 bit cpu
250 gig WD Serial ATA HD
2 rear 80mm fans
1 front 80mm fan

MSI *shudders*

I posted last week about a stability problem, here is what I found.I built a new system and loadedit. I started having small crashes every day on lots of programs. I tested the memory no errors. I had corsair mem installed. 3200 400 " 4 512 chips" I finally removed all the corsair and replace it with kingston and now have no problems. Bruce

Antec full tower
480 watt PS
MSI K8N Neo 4 plat. Mobo
EVGA 6800XT video
2 gig Kingston 3200 mem
Sony dual layer dvd burner
Lite on DVD Rom
Floppy
Creative Labs audigy 2 gamer
AMD 3800 x2 64 bit cpu
250 gig WD Serial ATA HD
2 rear 80mm fans
1 front 80mm fan

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
Sorry about you problems with MSI. I have used 25 MSI boards and never had the first problem with any except one and it was the built in lan.What board do you favor or find reliable. Bruce

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I have never used MSI myself but I do know they have a hmmm sketchy rep ? Like I say I have zero personal experience but he may be right ? usualy people recomend like ASUS or some of the other more expensive bourds (I guess you get what you pay for in that part)

Edit: But not to worry I will soon be with you sort of lol I just ordered an ECS mobo and they have a sketchy rep as well (the bourd I ordered is getting decent reviews though) but hey I only paid like 70$ so im not expecting mega super overclocks lol

ECS!!!! U OUT OF YOUR MIND SON?

MSI is crap in my experience like a preference in HDD's etc - bad luck, dont go back, but mind you ASUS and a few others have copped issues aswell, but iv never had a bad ASUS board personally, BUT iv had even better experiences with Gigabyte - all there boards iv owned have never seen one issue and i use em as test boards! Go figure.

I have never used MSI myself but I do know they have a hmmm sketchy rep ? Like I say I have zero personal experience but he may be right ? usualy people recomend like ASUS or some of the other more expensive bourds (I guess you get what you pay for in that part)

Edit: But not to worry I will soon be with you sort of lol I just ordered an ECS mobo and they have a sketchy rep as well (the bourd I ordered is getting decent reviews though) but hey I only paid like 70$ so im not expecting mega super overclocks lol

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
ECS!!!! U OUT OF YOUR MIND SON?

MSI is crap in my experience like a preference in HDD's etc - bad luck, dont go back, but mind you ASUS and a few others have copped issues aswell, but iv never had a bad ASUS board personally, BUT iv had even better experiences with Gigabyte - all there boards iv owned have never seen one issue and i use em as test boards! Go figure.

lol I know I know im crazy :) but it was so cheap for an Nforce 4 chipset !!!! lol

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I had issues with Asus in the past. The last good board was the P5Ab. I went to MSI and have bought cheap ones and expensive ones all were great. I have built systems out of Biostar, not a power house but good stable boards. I ahve always wanted to try gigabyte and might do that. I will have to do some research of Gigabyte boards. But never having a problem with MSI Why should I stray away. Bruce

Hey if its working for you! No Problemos, to my knowledge I haven't had a bad MSI product either, I was attracted to the post because I run Corsair and was going to suggest some things to solve your problems, some M/Bs and Corsair RAM don't get along but you can usually solve that by increasing the memory voltage a little, or adjusting your timings.

But you solved it by changing to Kingston which if I'm not mistaken is RAM reccommended for that MSI M/B, so alls well and life is good again! Cause when your brand new computer doesn't run right it can really be an irritating pain in the rear! Have a good One! Ryan

networker

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
Did you go into the bios and manually set the memory timing?

I recall corsair had a problem about 2 years ago were they had high performance memory with very fast timing. When it was installed in a motherboard, it wouldn't post because the default timing wasn't compatible with the memory and you had to go into the bios to change the timing - which alot of people didn't know how to that.

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
Well I still had a mini crash the other day in explore.exe. That is where it seems to happen all the time. Some times I can watch my screen recover from explore not responding and then some times I have to restart. I have not been able to pin point that problem. I could be a bad file. I have though about formatting and reloading to clean any bad files out from the memory problem I had and try it from there. What do you think. bruce

Sometimes its possible to have memory corruption that gets written to the HDD and when that happens usually an uninstall and reinstall of the affected software will resolve the problem.

Unfortunately with explorer you will have corruption with Windows System files.

Heres my suggestion;

First you need to test your memory with a program like Memtest86 to make sure its solid and running with no errors, if you fix this problem but still have memory errors you're wasting your time so you need to make sure memory is not an issue before repairing the problem.

You can download Memtest86 from here under the memory header.

The downloaded file is a Floppy Bootdisk creator, find the downloaded file double click it to execute the creator program, put a blank floppy disk in your floppy drive, and the disk creator will write the boot information to the floppy.

Then set the CMOS to boot from the floppy drive boot the machine with the floppy disk you created and Memtest86 will automatically start running if it completes the 7 passes with no errors you can rule out memory as a problem and continue with the repair you'll need to do.

You can press [I believe it is the ESC key] to exit Memtest86 anytime during its running.

Then if you have no memory errors you can repair WinXP by using your WinXP installation CD.

Do a normal boot like you're installing WinXP from scratch, after you pass the F8 agreement screen, the setup will scan your HDD for previous versions of WindowsXP, it will find your previous setup and give you the option to continue installing, or press R to repair the existing XP installation.

Press R at this point and the repair will begin, it will seem like its installing from scratch because you'll have to re-enter the product key code, but when the installation is completed, all your settings, programs, files, pictures,Etc. will be there and Windows will be repaired.

Note: Do not use any repair or restore options before you get to the F8 agreement screen, or you'll end up starting over, the option is immediately after the F8 agreement.