I've not installed an update in years because of bad exper..

.... however, now that I'm more familiar with my computer, wanted to
give it another try.

Whenever I think about this issue, I marvel at myself. I have a
firewall, Ad-Aware, 2 av programs, Spybox and Hijack This but have not
resolved this updates issue.

I don't like automatic updates of any kind, however; where do I go to
get the latest update pls? I'm determined to learn how to do this
esp. so that the updates don't mess up my system like the only time I
ever did this.

Thanks so much.

kelly

go to http://www.windowsupdate.com

custom install

you choose which updates to install

good luck!

"StargateFan" wrote:

> .... however, now that I'm more familiar with my computer, wanted to
> give it another try.
>
> Whenever I think about this issue, I marvel at myself. I have a
> firewall, Ad-Aware, 2 av programs, Spybox and Hijack This but have not
> resolved this updates issue.
>
> I don't like automatic updates of any kind, however; where do I go to
> get the latest update pls? I'm determined to learn how to do this
> esp. so that the updates don't mess up my system like the only time I
> ever did this.
>
> Thanks so much.

On Wed, 4 May 2005 18:58:02 -0700, "Kelly"
<Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>go to http://www.windowsupdate.com
>
>custom install
>
>you choose which updates to install
>
>good luck!

[snip]

Thanks! Appreciate everyone's input. I did that last night and so
ar, so good. Nothing like the problems with the other time I did this
where I had troubles.

One question, though. I'm concerned as all Win98 users probably are,
for the day when these updates won't be available. I know that this
OS will be around for quite a while yet as I can't afford any upgrades
as yet and won't for some time. Is there a way to get these updates
in a downloaded file? The install yesterday didn't yield a file that
I could save, as far as I can tell. Here's hoping that we can get all
the updates in an easy manner. After the analysis was complete, I
think it was 24 critical updates that were installed.

Thanks.

Daniel

Check out the Microsoft Download Center:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en

Choose "Windows 98" in the Product/Technology drop-down and click Go for a
list of all the updates for Windows 98. Note that some of them may not be
applicable to Windows 98 Second Edition and you'll have to search through
which ones you need because the new ones are mixed in among some old updates.

Or, you can try here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/corporate.asp

Once again, you'll have to hunt through the updates for the ones you want.

Regards

Daniel

"StargateFan" wrote:

> On Wed, 4 May 2005 18:58:02 -0700, "Kelly"
> <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >go to http://www.windowsupdate.com
> >
> >custom install
> >
> >you choose which updates to install
> >
> >good luck!
>
> [snip]
>
> Thanks! Appreciate everyone's input. I did that last night and so
> ar, so good. Nothing like the problems with the other time I did this
> where I had troubles.
>
> One question, though. I'm concerned as all Win98 users probably are,
> for the day when these updates won't be available. I know that this
> OS will be around for quite a while yet as I can't afford any upgrades
> as yet and won't for some time. Is there a way to get these updates
> in a downloaded file? The install yesterday didn't yield a file that
> I could save, as far as I can tell. Here's hoping that we can get all
> the updates in an easy manner. After the analysis was complete, I
> think it was 24 critical updates that were installed.
>
> Thanks.

Daniel

Actually, I just found out that you can download the Windows Update updates
as packages that you can save to disk and install later. Here you are:

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

Click on 'Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems' and then
select your OS.

Regards

Daniel

> B203-44FBD2F876F4@microsoft.com:
>
> > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp
>
> I'm getting "Your requested page cannot be found" on that one.

The problem is on your end. The page loads just fine.

Checked your Hosts file?

If it is OK, run a search for Hosts.

Make sure that you don't have a bogus one,
especially in C:\WINDOWS\HELP

Well, until a short while ago, I'd have recommended that your telephone
Microsoft and request the Windows Security Updates CD. Will bring your
system up to date as of October, 2003, which means the bulk of available
updates. Unfortunately, they no longer offer it. Next best choice is to
search for that CD online of in local computer shops, amongst friends,
etc. As far as I'm concerned (and Microsoft is concerned, for that
matter) the more copies of that CD that get passed around, the better.
(Though you should, of course, make sure you trust the source to not
give you a virus-laden copy.)

Even when "Extended Support" for Windows 98 ends in a little over a
year, I seriously doubt that Microsoft is going to totally yank it from
Windows Updates. It's conceivable that they might, but that's not my
understanding of what they're going to do. In any case, best idea is to
use the Windows Updates Catalog to download the whole mess, burn it to a
CD or two (multiple copies), and then make sure to update that stash as
necessary.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in news:OYD#CgZUFHA.3932
@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

> "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
>> Daniel <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> B203-44FBD2F876F4@microsoft.com:
>>
>> > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp
>>
>> I'm getting "Your requested page cannot be found" on that one.
>
> The problem is on your end. The page loads just fine.
>
> Checked your Hosts file?

I have a huge one, but that isn't in it.

Problem was: My default browser is Firefox. When I pasted your link in IE,
it worked fine.

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

> "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in news:OYD#CgZUFHA.3932
> @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
>

> > "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> >> Daniel <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> B203-44FBD2F876F4@microsoft.com:

> >> I'm getting "Your requested page cannot be found" on that one.
> >
> > The problem is on your end. The page loads just fine.
> >
> > Checked your Hosts file?
>
> I have a huge one, but that isn't in it.
>
> Problem was: My default browser is Firefox. When I pasted your link in IE,
> it worked fine.

You are suggesting that Microsoft designed their site
so that it doesn't work with a Mozilla browser?

I am shocked. Shocked I tell you.........

On Thu, 5 May 2005 12:23:09 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
<grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>Well, until a short while ago, I'd have recommended that your telephone
>Microsoft and request the Windows Security Updates CD. Will bring your
>system up to date as of October, 2003, which means the bulk of available
>updates. Unfortunately, they no longer offer it. Next best choice is to
>search for that CD online of in local computer shops, amongst friends,
>etc. As far as I'm concerned (and Microsoft is concerned, for that
>matter) the more copies of that CD that get passed around, the better.
>(Though you should, of course, make sure you trust the source to not
>give you a virus-laden copy.)
>
>Even when "Extended Support" for Windows 98 ends in a little over a
>year, I seriously doubt that Microsoft is going to totally yank it from
>Windows Updates. It's conceivable that they might, but that's not my
>understanding of what they're going to do. In any case, best idea is to
>use the Windows Updates Catalog to download the whole mess, burn it to a
>CD or two (multiple copies), and then make sure to update that stash as
>necessary.

Great idea. But is there a way for the system to just get what it
needs? In other words, this time the website did an analysis and
seemed to only install what's needed (?). Or am I misunderstanding
something? Tx.

No. Aside from Windows Updates, there is no utility available for Wiin9x
systems that will tell you what you need to install

Fact is, not even Windows Updates will tell you what truly needs to be
installed. WU only has the ability to tell you if this or that update
has been installed at some time in the past. It can't tell you if the
fix remains intact.

--

"Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in news:OVJIgfaUFHA.3584
@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> Well, until a short while ago, I'd have recommended that your telephone
> Microsoft and request the Windows Security Updates CD. Will bring your
> system up to date as of October, 2003, which means the bulk of available
> updates. Unfortunately, they no longer offer it. Next best choice is to
> search for that CD online of in local computer shops, amongst friends,
> etc. As far as I'm concerned (and Microsoft is concerned, for that
> matter) the more copies of that CD that get passed around, the better.
> (Though you should, of course, make sure you trust the source to not
> give you a virus-laden copy.)

Well, if you trust me,
http://www.mewnlite.com/utilities/WindowsUpdate2004.iso
It's around 476 megs so you'll probably have time for a couple cups of
coffee while you're downloading it.... :)

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

ROTF LMAO
Norman