I've not installed an update in years because of bad exper..

.... however, now that I'm more familiar with my computer, wanted to
give it another try.

Whenever I think about this issue, I marvel at myself. I have a
firewall, Ad-Aware, 2 av programs, Spybox and Hijack This but have not
resolved this updates issue.

I don't like automatic updates of any kind, however; where do I go to
get the latest update pls? I'm determined to learn how to do this
esp. so that the updates don't mess up my system like the only time I
ever did this.

Thanks so much.
13 answers Last reply
More about installed update years exper

    go to http://www.windowsupdate.com

    custom install

    you choose which updates to install

    good luck!

    "StargateFan" wrote:

    > .... however, now that I'm more familiar with my computer, wanted to
    > give it another try.
    >
    > Whenever I think about this issue, I marvel at myself. I have a
    > firewall, Ad-Aware, 2 av programs, Spybox and Hijack This but have not
    > resolved this updates issue.
    >
    > I don't like automatic updates of any kind, however; where do I go to
    > get the latest update pls? I'm determined to learn how to do this
    > esp. so that the updates don't mess up my system like the only time I
    > ever did this.
    >
    > Thanks so much.

    On Wed, 4 May 2005 18:58:02 -0700, "Kelly"
    <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >go to http://www.windowsupdate.com
    >
    >custom install
    >
    >you choose which updates to install
    >
    >good luck!

    [snip]

    Thanks! Appreciate everyone's input. I did that last night and so
    ar, so good. Nothing like the problems with the other time I did this
    where I had troubles.

    One question, though. I'm concerned as all Win98 users probably are,
    for the day when these updates won't be available. I know that this
    OS will be around for quite a while yet as I can't afford any upgrades
    as yet and won't for some time. Is there a way to get these updates
    in a downloaded file? The install yesterday didn't yield a file that
    I could save, as far as I can tell. Here's hoping that we can get all
    the updates in an easy manner. After the analysis was complete, I
    think it was 24 critical updates that were installed.

    Thanks.

    Check out the Microsoft Download Center:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en

    Choose "Windows 98" in the Product/Technology drop-down and click Go for a
    list of all the updates for Windows 98. Note that some of them may not be
    applicable to Windows 98 Second Edition and you'll have to search through
    which ones you need because the new ones are mixed in among some old updates.

    Or, you can try here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/corporate.asp

    Once again, you'll have to hunt through the updates for the ones you want.

    Regards

    Daniel

    "StargateFan" wrote:

    > On Wed, 4 May 2005 18:58:02 -0700, "Kelly"
    > <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >go to http://www.windowsupdate.com
    > >
    > >custom install
    > >
    > >you choose which updates to install
    > >
    > >good luck!
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > Thanks! Appreciate everyone's input. I did that last night and so
    > ar, so good. Nothing like the problems with the other time I did this
    > where I had troubles.
    >
    > One question, though. I'm concerned as all Win98 users probably are,
    > for the day when these updates won't be available. I know that this
    > OS will be around for quite a while yet as I can't afford any upgrades
    > as yet and won't for some time. Is there a way to get these updates
    > in a downloaded file? The install yesterday didn't yield a file that
    > I could save, as far as I can tell. Here's hoping that we can get all
    > the updates in an easy manner. After the analysis was complete, I
    > think it was 24 critical updates that were installed.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Actually, I just found out that you can download the Windows Update updates
    as packages that you can save to disk and install later. Here you are:

    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

    Click on 'Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems' and then
    select your OS.

    Regards

    Daniel

    Daniel <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:3334EB94-1987-4178-
    B203-44FBD2F876F4@microsoft.com:

    > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

    I'm getting "Your requested page cannot be found" on that one.

    --
    --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    > B203-44FBD2F876F4@microsoft.com:
    >
    > > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp
    >
    > I'm getting "Your requested page cannot be found" on that one.

    The problem is on your end. The page loads just fine.

    Checked your Hosts file?

    If it is OK, run a search for Hosts.

    Make sure that you don't have a bogus one,
    especially in C:\WINDOWS\HELP

    Well, until a short while ago, I'd have recommended that your telephone
    Microsoft and request the Windows Security Updates CD. Will bring your
    system up to date as of October, 2003, which means the bulk of available
    updates. Unfortunately, they no longer offer it. Next best choice is to
    search for that CD online of in local computer shops, amongst friends,
    etc. As far as I'm concerned (and Microsoft is concerned, for that
    matter) the more copies of that CD that get passed around, the better.
    (Though you should, of course, make sure you trust the source to not
    give you a virus-laden copy.)

    Even when "Extended Support" for Windows 98 ends in a little over a
    year, I seriously doubt that Microsoft is going to totally yank it from
    Windows Updates. It's conceivable that they might, but that's not my
    understanding of what they're going to do. In any case, best idea is to
    use the Windows Updates Catalog to download the whole mess, burn it to a
    CD or two (multiple copies), and then make sure to update that stash as
    necessary.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in news:OYD#CgZUFHA.3932
    @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

    > "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
    >> Daniel <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> B203-44FBD2F876F4@microsoft.com:
    >>
    >> > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp
    >>
    >> I'm getting "Your requested page cannot be found" on that one.
    >
    > The problem is on your end. The page loads just fine.
    >
    > Checked your Hosts file?

    I have a huge one, but that isn't in it.

    Problem was: My default browser is Firefox. When I pasted your link in IE,
    it worked fine.

    --

    > "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in news:OYD#CgZUFHA.3932
    > @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
    >

    > > "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
    > >> Daniel <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > >> B203-44FBD2F876F4@microsoft.com:

    > >> I'm getting "Your requested page cannot be found" on that one.
    > >
    > > The problem is on your end. The page loads just fine.
    > >
    > > Checked your Hosts file?
    >
    > I have a huge one, but that isn't in it.
    >
    > Problem was: My default browser is Firefox. When I pasted your link in IE,
    > it worked fine.

    You are suggesting that Microsoft designed their site
    so that it doesn't work with a Mozilla browser?

    I am shocked. Shocked I tell you.........

    On Thu, 5 May 2005 12:23:09 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
    <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Well, until a short while ago, I'd have recommended that your telephone
    >Microsoft and request the Windows Security Updates CD. Will bring your
    >system up to date as of October, 2003, which means the bulk of available
    >updates. Unfortunately, they no longer offer it. Next best choice is to
    >search for that CD online of in local computer shops, amongst friends,
    >etc. As far as I'm concerned (and Microsoft is concerned, for that
    >matter) the more copies of that CD that get passed around, the better.
    >(Though you should, of course, make sure you trust the source to not
    >give you a virus-laden copy.)
    >
    >Even when "Extended Support" for Windows 98 ends in a little over a
    >year, I seriously doubt that Microsoft is going to totally yank it from
    >Windows Updates. It's conceivable that they might, but that's not my
    >understanding of what they're going to do. In any case, best idea is to
    >use the Windows Updates Catalog to download the whole mess, burn it to a
    >CD or two (multiple copies), and then make sure to update that stash as
    >necessary.

    Great idea. But is there a way for the system to just get what it
    needs? In other words, this time the website did an analysis and
    seemed to only install what's needed (?). Or am I misunderstanding
    something? Tx.

    No. Aside from Windows Updates, there is no utility available for Wiin9x
    systems that will tell you what you need to install

    Fact is, not even Windows Updates will tell you what truly needs to be
    installed. WU only has the ability to tell you if this or that update
    has been installed at some time in the past. It can't tell you if the
    fix remains intact.

    --

    "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in news:OVJIgfaUFHA.3584
    @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

    > Well, until a short while ago, I'd have recommended that your telephone
    > Microsoft and request the Windows Security Updates CD. Will bring your
    > system up to date as of October, 2003, which means the bulk of available
    > updates. Unfortunately, they no longer offer it. Next best choice is to
    > search for that CD online of in local computer shops, amongst friends,
    > etc. As far as I'm concerned (and Microsoft is concerned, for that
    > matter) the more copies of that CD that get passed around, the better.
    > (Though you should, of course, make sure you trust the source to not
    > give you a virus-laden copy.)

    Well, if you trust me,
    http://www.mewnlite.com/utilities/WindowsUpdate2004.iso
    It's around 476 megs so you'll probably have time for a couple cups of
    coffee while you're downloading it.... :-)

    --
    --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    ROTF LMAO
    Norman

    "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

    > "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
    > > "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in news:OYD#CgZUFHA.3932
    > > @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
    > >

    > > > "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message

    > > > The problem is on your end. The page loads just fine.
    > > >
    > > > Checked your Hosts file?
    > >
    > > I have a huge one, but that isn't in it.
    > >
    > > Problem was: My default browser is Firefox. When I pasted your link in
    IE,
    > > it worked fine.
    >
    > You are suggesting that Microsoft designed their site
    > so that it doesn't work with a Mozilla browser?
    >
    > I am shocked. Shocked I tell you.........

Microsoft Windows