stuttering w/ 1900xt video card

chuubaka

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
I recently purchased a x1900xt video card and I get some stuttering before entering a new room, before an event, when I trigger a new sound, etc with games like FEAR (which I will use as an example).

At first the stuttering was real bad so I purchased a Antec 550 watt PSU to replace some no name 430 watt PSU which greatly improved performance but the stuttering is still there just not as bad.

Shouldn't I be able to run FEAR with everything maxed including at least 4x AA and 4x anisotropic filtering? (stuttering seems to be the same whether AA and anisotropic is at 2x or up to 16x) I am running the game at 1280x720 so i'm thinking it could be the ram. Do i need 2 gigs of ram to get this thing to run properly at this high a resolution? I thought i would pretty much be able run most current games flawlessly with maxed settings. Any suggestions? thx )

PS: my mobo A8R-MVP is widely know to have some major stability problems but i don't have any signs of that. My system has been running for a few days and no problems.

System specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Sapphire x1900xt
1GB of OCZ Ram
Antec 550w PSU
ASUS A8R-MVP mobo

chuubaka

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Okay. I tried my current rig with a friends set of OCZ 2 gig of ram. Same problems. So it must be the CPU not being fast enough? Does anyone have a similair spec'ed system to mine and can tell me how there performance is with max settings on FEAR?

I also get a corrupted graphics screen for about 1 sec right after windows loads and before the desktop boots. Anyone else have that with their x1900xt video card? Its not my monitor as it did it with my 32in Lcd using dvi and a friend's 17in CRT using standard vga.

Any help would be appreciated. I need to know whether or not to RMA this mobo and/or video card. thx

chuubaka

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Hmmm......least i know i'm not the only one with the corrupt screen image before desktop boot. Thats some comfort.

Anyway, i have all the lastest drivers for soundcard, mobo chipset, bios, videocard.

I scannned for viruses, adaware: none.

I turned off AVG, my antivirus scanning software during gameplay which didn't seem to help. The main HD i'm using is a recent clean install of WinXP SP2.

My soundcard is an X-Fi platinum. I didn't put that in my system specs earlier.