How to Format

Hi there! I am proficient with Windows XP however not so much with Windows
98. I am going to be formatting and installing Windows 98 on an older
computer for a family member; we have the CD for Windows 98.
My question is this; is formatting in 98 anything like XP? Or is this an F
Disk situation? I figured if I booted from the CD, I'd get the option to
delete the partition and create a new one as with XP. Am I right?
Thanks for any info!
Kelly
4 answers Last reply
More about format

    XP is a different situation. For 98 you need to boot to DOS with a 98 boot disk
    w/CD support which you can create from any 98 machine or download from
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Read the Readme1st on the right side of the page on how to create the disk from
    bootdisk.com.

    Once created put the floppy in the drive and boot the machine. If it does not
    boot to DOS then you need to set the drive sequence in the BIOS to A:, CD, HD.
    When booting to DOS with a disk w/CD support pay attention near the end of
    booting where it will assign the CD drive letter.
    Once booted to DOS fdisk and format the drive. Make sure that you select YES for
    Large Hard Drive support when beginning the fdisk process.
    Once fdisk/format is complete, place the 98 CD in the tray and at the prompt
    type and press Enter after each line:

    cd assignedCDdriveletter:\
    setup.exe

    Windows should now begin installing.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    "Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there! I am proficient with Windows XP however not so much with Windows
    > 98. I am going to be formatting and installing Windows 98 on an older
    > computer for a family member; we have the CD for Windows 98.
    > My question is this; is formatting in 98 anything like XP? Or is this an F
    > Disk situation? I figured if I booted from the CD, I'd get the option to
    > delete the partition and create a new one as with XP. Am I right?
    > Thanks for any info!
    > Kelly

    You want to do a FRESH Install? Are you pure Windows or OEM, such as
    Compaq? If you are OEM, then you can get back to factory condition by
    using their recovery CD, such as QuickRestore, which may contain
    proprietary drivers and add-ons. Otherwise...

    http://www.hexff.com/index.html How to Clean Install
    This first has it all, but..
    (a) Perhaps don't do the 2.5 swap file thing, &
    (b) You may rather have multiple partitions, &
    (c) Attend it's warning: Have any non-Windows peripheral drivers
    available to install afterwards. Here...
    http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
    http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version
    Those two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such that
    they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a favorable
    report.

    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html Badour has one
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/clean.htm Aumha has one
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=250928 How to Reinstall Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193902
    How to Reinstall Windows into a new folder

    "Setup.txt", located in the same folder as "Setup.exe", either on CD or
    hard drive. This instructs how to run it from a folder on the hard
    drive, but "hexff" says it better.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129971&Product=w98
    "SU" Error Message List for Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me Setup

    Get a Startup Diskette from
    http://www.bootdisk.com/ , if you don't already have one from "Control
    Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Startup Disk tab". Test the Startup
    Diskette. Boot it, put in a CD and "DIR" the CD. It will say which
    letter is the CD. (Otherwise, it is likely one letter higher than
    normal.)

    Here is what I know of those Installation CD's. The full list of
    capabilities of each type of CD is as follows, says Harper. Each
    requires a valid Product key. "Proof" means it must see you had a prior
    version. So, if it isn't sitting there, expect to insert a floppy or
    earlier CD.

    FULL VERSION: Will perform either clean install or upgrade of existing
    OS. Does not ask for proof of ownership of an earlier version.

    UPGRADE VERSION: Will perform either clean install or upgrade of
    existing OS. Will ask for proof of ownership of an earlier version if
    one is not installed.

    WIN98 SE UPDATES: Will only install if Windows 98 is present on the hard
    drive. Cannot be used for a clean install at all.

    OEM VERSION: Only installs on a clean, fresh-formatted hard drive. May
    be customized to include or omit components that would be found/not
    found on a retail CD.

    Be sure of your ProductKey...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    ProductKey "12345-12345-12345-12345-12345"

    (1) "START, Run, RegEdit"
    (2) Click plus signs beginning at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", & ending with
    "Windows".
    (3) Click "CurrentVersion" in the left pane under "Windows".
    (4) Look in right pane for ProductKey.

    That is the one that was used to install your current Windows. Jot it
    down, as it may work if different from the one on your Windows 98 Manual
    or CD case.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    Kelly wrote:
    > Hi there! I am proficient with Windows XP however not so much with Windows
    > 98. I am going to be formatting and installing Windows 98 on an older
    > computer for a family member; we have the CD for Windows 98.
    > My question is this; is formatting in 98 anything like XP? Or is this an F
    > Disk situation? I figured if I booted from the CD, I'd get the option to
    > delete the partition and create a new one as with XP. Am I right?
    > Thanks for any info!
    > Kelly

    Win98 CD's aren't bootable like an WinXP one. So yes, FDisk then Format
    (or a 3'rd party alternative) situation.

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    Get a utility to create a W98 boot floppy with CD support at
    www.bootdisk.com.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there! I am proficient with Windows XP however not so much with Windows
    > 98. I am going to be formatting and installing Windows 98 on an older
    > computer for a family member; we have the CD for Windows 98.
    > My question is this; is formatting in 98 anything like XP? Or is this an F
    > Disk situation? I figured if I booted from the CD, I'd get the option to
    > delete the partition and create a new one as with XP. Am I right?
    > Thanks for any info!
    > Kelly

Windows 98 Windows XP Windows