How to Format

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
May 4, 2005 10:48:04 PM

Hi there! I am proficient with Windows XP however not so much with Windows
98. I am going to be formatting and installing Windows 98 on an older
computer for a family member; we have the CD for Windows 98.
My question is this; is formatting in 98 anything like XP? Or is this an F
Disk situation? I figured if I booted from the CD, I'd get the option to
delete the partition and create a new one as with XP. Am I right?
Thanks for any info!
Kelly

More about : format

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 2:04:42 AM

XP is a different situation. For 98 you need to boot to DOS with a 98 boot disk
w/CD support which you can create from any 98 machine or download from
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Read the Readme1st on the right side of the page on how to create the disk from
bootdisk.com.

Once created put the floppy in the drive and boot the machine. If it does not
boot to DOS then you need to set the drive sequence in the BIOS to A:, CD, HD.
When booting to DOS with a disk w/CD support pay attention near the end of
booting where it will assign the CD drive letter.
Once booted to DOS fdisk and format the drive. Make sure that you select YES for
Large Hard Drive support when beginning the fdisk process.
Once fdisk/format is complete, place the 98 CD in the tray and at the prompt
type and press Enter after each line:

cd assignedCDdriveletter:\
setup.exe

Windows should now begin installing.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there! I am proficient with Windows XP however not so much with Windows
> 98. I am going to be formatting and installing Windows 98 on an older
> computer for a family member; we have the CD for Windows 98.
> My question is this; is formatting in 98 anything like XP? Or is this an F
> Disk situation? I figured if I booted from the CD, I'd get the option to
> delete the partition and create a new one as with XP. Am I right?
> Thanks for any info!
> Kelly
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 3:59:09 AM

You want to do a FRESH Install? Are you pure Windows or OEM, such as
Compaq? If you are OEM, then you can get back to factory condition by
using their recovery CD, such as QuickRestore, which may contain
proprietary drivers and add-ons. Otherwise...

http://www.hexff.com/index.html How to Clean Install
This first has it all, but..
(a) Perhaps don't do the 2.5 swap file thing, &
(b) You may rather have multiple partitions, &
(c) Attend it's warning: Have any non-Windows peripheral drivers
available to install afterwards. Here...
http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version
Those two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such that
they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a favorable
report.

http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html Badour has one
http://aumha.org/win4/a/clean.htm Aumha has one
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=250928 How to Reinstall Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193902
How to Reinstall Windows into a new folder

"Setup.txt", located in the same folder as "Setup.exe", either on CD or
hard drive. This instructs how to run it from a folder on the hard
drive, but "hexff" says it better.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129971&Product=w98
"SU" Error Message List for Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me Setup

Get a Startup Diskette from
http://www.bootdisk.com/ , if you don't already have one from "Control
Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Startup Disk tab". Test the Startup
Diskette. Boot it, put in a CD and "DIR" the CD. It will say which
letter is the CD. (Otherwise, it is likely one letter higher than
normal.)

Here is what I know of those Installation CD's. The full list of
capabilities of each type of CD is as follows, says Harper. Each
requires a valid Product key. "Proof" means it must see you had a prior
version. So, if it isn't sitting there, expect to insert a floppy or
earlier CD.

FULL VERSION: Will perform either clean install or upgrade of existing
OS. Does not ask for proof of ownership of an earlier version.

UPGRADE VERSION: Will perform either clean install or upgrade of
existing OS. Will ask for proof of ownership of an earlier version if
one is not installed.

WIN98 SE UPDATES: Will only install if Windows 98 is present on the hard
drive. Cannot be used for a clean install at all.

OEM VERSION: Only installs on a clean, fresh-formatted hard drive. May
be customized to include or omit components that would be found/not
found on a retail CD.

Be sure of your ProductKey...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
ProductKey "12345-12345-12345-12345-12345"

(1) "START, Run, RegEdit"
(2) Click plus signs beginning at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", & ending with
"Windows".
(3) Click "CurrentVersion" in the left pane under "Windows".
(4) Look in right pane for ProductKey.

That is the one that was used to install your current Windows. Jot it
down, as it may work if different from the one on your Windows 98 Manual
or CD case.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hi there! I am proficient with Windows XP however not so much with
Windows
| 98. I am going to be formatting and installing Windows 98 on an older
| computer for a family member; we have the CD for Windows 98.
| My question is this; is formatting in 98 anything like XP? Or is this
an F
| Disk situation? I figured if I booted from the CD, I'd get the option
| delete the partition and create a new one as with XP. Am I right?
| Thanks for any info!
| Kelly
May 5, 2005 6:02:21 AM

Kelly wrote:
> Hi there! I am proficient with Windows XP however not so much with Windows
> 98. I am going to be formatting and installing Windows 98 on an older
> computer for a family member; we have the CD for Windows 98.
> My question is this; is formatting in 98 anything like XP? Or is this an F
> Disk situation? I figured if I booted from the CD, I'd get the option to
> delete the partition and create a new one as with XP. Am I right?
> Thanks for any info!
> Kelly

Win98 CD's aren't bootable like an WinXP one. So yes, FDisk then Format
(or a 3'rd party alternative) situation.

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

Get a utility to create a W98 boot floppy with CD support at
www.bootdisk.com.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)