Sign in with
Your question

Searching for a graphics Card....

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 27, 2006 1:40:28 AM

I own a Dell Dimension 3000 with an Intel Pentium Processor 4 with a 3 gig CPU, and 1.25 gigs of RAM. Not sure if it's capable of having a PCIe or just a PCI, so any info on that would be greatly appreciated. I'll be using it mostly for games, and I wouldn't like to spend more then 300 dollars or so. Any suggestions would be great. And I'm pretty new to this so please try to keep the graphics card experienced lingo to a mininum. Thanks!
April 27, 2006 2:04:23 AM

Dude you cant upgrade dell dimension graphics card no matter how hard you try. First off no agp or pci-e slot on models 3000. And down second off you cant use pci graphics cards cause of the chipset it wont allow it(Just one more reason why I hate dell :x )
April 27, 2006 2:13:30 PM

No, when i bought it i opted for it not to come with a graphics card, and there definetly is a slot for a pci or pci-e, i just dont know which one it is, im sure i could add a graphics card, ive opened the pc and seen the slot. So assuming it is pci-e, what do you think the best choice is for under 300$
Related resources
April 27, 2006 2:19:10 PM

Ok well is the slot black or brown?
April 27, 2006 3:07:29 PM

ok does it look like this

or this

(look at the first slot at the top not the white ones at the bottom)
April 27, 2006 5:00:41 PM

piddys correct. The 3000 only has regular everday PCI slots, NO PCI-E or PCI-X.

Which means you'd probably end up with a Radeon 9200 or 9250 for an upgrade.

In this situation, I can agree with hating Dell like dvdpiddy does.

You might be able to drop in this Epox board along with this X800GTO for about $200 and some change.

Unfortunately it only puts you into AGP and not PCI-E, but it would be a huge upgrade from your current situation. There's also the issue of this setup being compatible with your Dell case and PSU, but you could probably swing this inexpensive Antec that comes with an Antec 350 PSU and still be under $300 for the whole deal.
April 27, 2006 5:57:00 PM

you are correct, I know for a fact that dell psu's are NOT compatible w/ atx mobos. They LOOK like they are but unless you get an adapter that swaps a few wires they will fry it.

cases are a bit more ambiguous... some work w/ atx, some dont. google it up to make sure before you buy.

I also agree, I have a pci 9250 that does ok in another box of mine, and probably better than your onboard graphics, but the investment is kinda lame in that it wont enable much for new games, and most wont support non-agp/pci-e setups b/c there is not enough bandwidth.
April 27, 2006 8:43:10 PM

Quote:
piddys correct. The 3000 only has regular everday PCI slots, NO PCI-E or PCI-X.

Which means you'd probably end up with a Radeon 9200 or 9250 for an upgrade.

In this situation, I can agree with hating Dell like dvdpiddy does.

You might be able to drop in this Epox board along with this X800GTO for about $200 and some change.

Unfortunately it only puts you into AGP and not PCI-E, but it would be a huge upgrade from your current situation. There's also the issue of this setup being compatible with your Dell case and PSU, but you could probably swing this inexpensive Antec that comes with an Antec 350 PSU and still be under $300 for the whole deal.
Anoobis did you forget no dell model below 3000 can be upgraded with a better graphics card no dell!
April 27, 2006 9:02:11 PM

Dell has their purposes...like keeping me from getting bored at work by browsing the forums and helping those in need (i.e. those with Dells).
April 27, 2006 9:31:11 PM

I'd never buy a Dell; last Dell I used was a Pentium2 350Mhz.
April 27, 2006 9:42:58 PM

mine was a p3 450, but that was back when they were more (or less) atx standard components throughout.

now, while the majority of connections are still standard, that mobo/psu/case thing just honks up everything... trying to make more $ off of joe-computer user.
April 27, 2006 10:06:39 PM

Quote:
Anoobis did you forget no dell model below 3000 can be upgraded with a better graphics card no dell!

Um.. he is talk about putting new mobo in there. So the whole no upgradint thing isn't and issue (execpt that dells i belive use BTX now not ATX so idk).
April 27, 2006 10:18:58 PM

Quote:
I'd never buy a Dell; last Dell I used was a Pentium2 350Mhz.

My brother uses an old Dell with a P3 450MHz. I used to have a Dell with a P4 1.6GHz Willy. It got full of viruses and crap like that, and I had no idea what to do because I was a total n00b.

My friend's dad came over to look at it, and he told me that it was obselete, and I should get a new computer. He found this refurbished HP (he didn't tell me that when he bought it) which had a MSRP of $3k, and he got it for $630. The board and CPU fried. So far, I've bought a new case, board, CPU, and PSU. $500 on top of the original $630.

I'd never buy another HP; if I ever bought another pre built PC, I'd get a Dell. But I wouldn't buy a pre built PC, so that's irrelevant.

Dell is fine for the average PC user; they're cheap and reliable. My dad's had his Dell laptop for 2 years, and never had a problem with it.

I don't like Dell because of the bloatware, and the proprietary components (but all OEM's use proprietary components.)

To answer the original question, I don't think the 3000 has an AGP/PCIe slot. Even if it did, you'd need a new PSU, and therefore case to get a powerful card. Save your money to build a new PC.
April 27, 2006 10:22:17 PM

Quote:
Dell has their purposes...like keeping me from getting bored at work by browsing the forums and helping those in need (i.e. those with Dells).
Anoobis dell reasons are simple they dont want people buying their cheapest pc and upgrading the hell out of it!
April 27, 2006 10:58:10 PM

Quote:
I own a Dell Dimension 3000 with an Intel Pentium Processor 4 with a 3 gig CPU

A 3 gig cpu????? :D  ....omfgf!!! :D  :D  :D 
!