Can't find my Favorites web folder in DOS mode in order to..

I can't seem to locate the Favorites web folder in DOS. When I switch to the
C:\Windows\Favorites directory in DOS, it comes up an invalid directory
syntax error. Even when I use the DIR command in the C:\Windows directory in
DOS, I don't see the Favorites folder listed. I can read to and copy other
files from the hard disk by using the boot disk with the aid of the Windows
CD support option in DOS. However, I can't see the important Favorites
folder in order to back it up.

The reason why I'm using DOS is because I experienced a system crash
yesterday and I can't boot the system into Safe Mode. When I try to enter
safe mode, it comes up with an error message saying that it was unable to
load explorer.exe and requests me to reinstall Windows. This means I'm
totally restricted to the DOS mode in order to backup my files. I don't know
why this problem occured in the first place because I did not install any new
applications or drivers recently to have caused this inoperable state and I
have up to 18GB free hard disk space. I can accept the fact that I may have
to reinstall my system but I am really desperate to retrieve my Favorites
folder with all my web pages. In the unlikely event of my hard disk being
faulty, could you please tell me how to run ScanDisk in DOS mode as I may
need to test the hard disk. It may be necessary as well to run diagnostics
on my hard disk by using the manufacturer's Diagnostic CD (if available)
prior to running ScanDisk as a safety precaution. More importantly, I would
really appreciate if could plese assist me in finding and backing up my
Favorites folder and give me some advice on how to run ScanDisk in DOS.

I hope the explorer.exe loading error has not deleted my Favorites folder as
this error may be linked to Internet Explorer.

Trusting that you will understand my cirumstances with regard to not being
to able to backup my crucial Favorites folder and that you will assist me
with same.

Thanking You.

Martin Healy

See if anything here helps for the explorer error:
http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/errexplo.htm

Also try a registry restore to see if it helps. At the DOS prompt type and press
Enter:

scanreg /restore *note the space between g and /

Select a date prior to the problem.

You also mention wanting to run scandisk, at the prompt:

scandisk *for help with switches type after scandisk and a space:

-help or /?

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

=?Utf-8?B?TWFydGluIEhlYWx5?= <MartinHealy@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in news:138B8BEC-EF8A-4205-8E96-1A9796E75799@microsoft.com:

> Even when I use the DIR command in the
> C:\Windows directory in DOS, I don't see the Favorites folder listed.

try 'dir /ASD'

Yes this solved my problem. Thanks alot for that. Although I copied the
FAVORI~1 (Favorites folder) to my ZIP drive in DOS without any errors, I
can't see the copied Favorites folder in my Zipped D drive. What command do
I need to enter to see that the Favorites folder was actually copied to the
Zipped drive? As a safety precaution, I'm making directories in the Zipped
drive corresponding to subfolders in my favorites and copying them over.
It's working fine as I have checked to see that they are there in the D
drive. I'm only doing this because I'm not sure if the Favorites folder with
all the contents was copied over properly in the first instance. Anyway
thanks very much for providing me with the very useful 'dir /ASD' command.

Thanks,

Martin Healy

> Yes this solved my problem. Thanks alot for that. Although I copied the
> FAVORI~1 (Favorites folder) to my ZIP drive in DOS without any errors, I
> can't see the copied Favorites folder in my Zipped D drive. What command
do
> I need to enter to see that the Favorites folder was actually copied to
the
> Zipped drive? As a safety precaution, I'm making directories in the Zipped
> drive corresponding to subfolders in my favorites and copying them over.
> It's working fine as I have checked to see that they are there in the D
> drive. I'm only doing this because I'm not sure if the Favorites folder
with
> all the contents was copied over properly in the first instance.

The FAVORITES folder is a System folder.

Your Folder Options is probably set to
"Do not show hidden or system files".

If so you need to change to "Show All Files".

In Windows Explorer, click on VIEW on the Menu Bar.

Select FOLDER OPTIONS and click on the VIEW tab

In FILES AND FOLDERS under HIDDEN FILES
click the radio button named "Show All Files".

I can locate or see the Favorites folder now from the hard disk. It just
that I can't see the Favorites folder that is copied to the Zip Drive.
Please remember that I'm confined to DOS mode as I can't use Safe Mode - so I
won't be able to use the hidden files or change permissions steps as
described above.

"Hugh Candlin" wrote:

> "Martin Healy" <MartinHealy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes this solved my problem. Thanks alot for that. Although I copied the
> > FAVORI~1 (Favorites folder) to my ZIP drive in DOS without any errors, I
> > can't see the copied Favorites folder in my Zipped D drive. What command
> do
> > I need to enter to see that the Favorites folder was actually copied to
> the
> > Zipped drive? As a safety precaution, I'm making directories in the Zipped
> > drive corresponding to subfolders in my favorites and copying them over.
> > It's working fine as I have checked to see that they are there in the D
> > drive. I'm only doing this because I'm not sure if the Favorites folder
> with
> > all the contents was copied over properly in the first instance.
>
> The FAVORITES folder is a System folder.
>
> Your Folder Options is probably set to
> "Do not show hidden or system files".
>
> If so you need to change to "Show All Files".
>
> In Windows Explorer, click on VIEW on the Menu Bar.
>
> Select FOLDER OPTIONS and click on the VIEW tab
>
> In FILES AND FOLDERS under HIDDEN FILES
> click the radio button named "Show All Files".

What commands are you using to copy the folder to the ZIP drive? The
easiest way to start is to use the ATTRIB command to change the
attributes of the Favorites folder:

attrib -h -s c:\windows\favori~1

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

wrote in news:8B8E608B-EA22-45D6-87B7-806904E91E44@microsoft.com:

> Yes this solved my problem. Thanks alot for that. Although I copied
> the FAVORI~1 (Favorites folder) to my ZIP drive in DOS without any
> errors, I can't see the copied Favorites folder in my Zipped D drive.
> What command do I need to enter to see that the Favorites folder was
> actually copied to the Zipped drive? As a safety precaution, I'm
> making directories in the Zipped drive corresponding to subfolders in
> my favorites and copying them over. It's working fine as I have
> checked to see that they are there in the D drive. I'm only doing
> this because I'm not sure if the Favorites folder with all the
> contents was copied over properly in the first instance. Anyway
> thanks very much for providing me with the very useful 'dir /ASD'
> command.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Martin Healy
>
> "Ingeborg" wrote:
>
>> =?Utf-8?B?TWFydGluIEhlYWx5?= <MartinHealy@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in news:138B8BEC-EF8A-4205-8E96-1A9796E75799@microsoft.com:
>>
>> > Even when I use the DIR command in the
>> > C:\Windows directory in DOS, I don't see the Favorites folder
>> > listed.
>>
>> try 'dir /ASD'

Well, I'm not sure, but I suppose the folder flags were copied too. So on
the zipdrive you'll need 'dir /ASD' too.

For a short manual on 'dir' type 'dir /?'