Sign in with
Your question

Ageia Physx?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 27, 2006 2:02:23 AM

Anyone can tell me what is this card? For what type of purpose?

More about : ageia physx

April 27, 2006 2:41:22 AM

Its a physics accelator which takes all the physics work off the cpu and on to it when you play a game.
April 27, 2006 2:44:16 AM

The Ageia PhysX card is well a physics card or PPU (physics processing unit). It's a card that fucoses on calculation the games movements of objects and effects as well as interactions. Right now, a pc with no physics card relies mainly on the cpu to calculate the physics but it is usually a programmed or prescript physics, means that is not random. With the physics card, it will not only take over and handle the physics part of the game but it would improved it. Depends on the game if it supports it or maybe with a help of patch to utilize the PPU. Basically this card improves the game's explosions and destruction effects and other moving objects.

Check this out:

http://physx.ageia.com/footage.html
Related resources
April 27, 2006 2:49:37 AM

Quote:
Its a physics accelator which takes all the physics work off the gpu and on to it when you play a game.
You mean CPU*
April 27, 2006 2:56:30 AM

Quote:
The Ageia PhysX card is well a physics card or PPU (physics processing unit). It's a card that fucoses on calculation the games movements of objects and effects as well as interactions. Right now, a pc with no physics card relies mainly on the cpu to calculate the physics but it is usually a programmed or prescript physics, means that is not random. With the physics card, it will not only take over and handle the physics part of the game but it would improved it. Depends on the game if it supports it or maybe with a help of patch to utilize the PPU. Basically this card improves the game's explosions and destruction effects and other moving objects.

Check this out:

http://physx.ageia.com/footage.html
Thats basically what i said except dummed down.
April 27, 2006 3:23:04 AM

Quote:
Its a physics accelator which takes all the physics work off the gpu and on to it when you play a game.
You mean CPU* Sorry ill go fix it now. :cry: 
April 27, 2006 3:32:19 AM

Well you beat me to it....I should type faster next time :p 

Anyways this PPU card is coming out next, anyone here gonna buy it just for the hell of it and be the first one on the block? I'm thinking Im gonna get the BFG, but the ASUS has 256Mb. Is there any difference, or the Asus is just too much like the 6600 512Mb card? I wonder if this card still improves performance on a non-ageia physx game like BF2? I really like this new thing much like the first graphics card came out over a decade ago in which time I was only wishing I had a computer.

I know, maybe you can overclock and tweak this card. You think? I mean tweak it so that you could throw a grenade 3 times farther in BF2 and jump like 30 feet on the air. That would be awesome!! :D 
April 27, 2006 4:35:36 AM

Maybe the asus does it work with all graphics cards?
April 27, 2006 3:24:31 PM

Thank for ur info.

But I still have some question.

What type of slot it using, pci, pci-x or agp?
Do we still need to using Graphics Card (GPU) if this card (PPU) was install?
What type of processor unit (GPU or PPU) we should choice to max out the game performance and visual effect?

Thanks.
April 27, 2006 3:48:45 PM

This PPU or physics card is gonna take up just a regular pci slot. And yes you still need the graphics card (GPU) to play games.

Check this out:

Graphics card(s) will do the rendering of 3D and effects (visuals)

Physics card will calculate the games movement and interactions.

CPU does the rest.

As far as what type of cards (PPU) and (GPU) combination to get the most performance I don't know. The (PPU) Graphics card should be compatible to any computer running XP with a PCI slot. They have the BFG 128Mb and the Asus 128mb and 256Mb respectively. As far as which one is the best, we'll gonna have to wait for THG to get some hands down on this new product and get the facts. But I'm getting the BFG as my SLI cards are BFG as well.

However sometime in the future graphics manufacturers are planning to make one card that has the (GPU) graphics processing unit and (PPU) physics processing unit together. But I guess that would increase the price and all.
April 27, 2006 4:04:42 PM

Thanks. I get the idea already.
April 27, 2006 4:13:35 PM

uh... no quite... you said it just takes the load off the cpu and performs itself physics calculation. But as chuck said, it actually improves physics, giving more realistic effects, not only on explosions, but i guess on virtually everything that moves in a game. The way a guy is shot, or a grenade bouncing, water movement, etc, etc.

Quote:
I wonder if this card still improves performance on a non-ageia physx game like BF2?

uh... nope :/  the game will have to be compatible with the physics card... there are some new titles that will be compatible, but i dont know the list
April 27, 2006 4:31:46 PM

For games that aren't compatible with the new physics card, a patch or expansion can make it so? I mean for the games that is not supporting the physics card obviously doesn't have the Ageia physics software but implimenting this to games through a software patch or expansion cd should do the trick right? :? I would really like to play BF2 with this physics card. :D 
April 27, 2006 4:35:45 PM

well, technically is possible, as patches can enable smp support, hdr support, why not physics support? it all depende on the developer's willl hahahah
maybe if you ask them gently they might release a patch :p 

but certainly a BF3 will support physics card :) 
April 27, 2006 4:44:26 PM

Some questions.
I remember reading nVidia and ATI don't plan to add a physics chip on their GPU or GPU card (because of space, cost, etc) - Still the case? (I hope they change their minds)
I also think DX10 supports PPUs. So there will be little support for PPUs now unless some applications are specifically written for this.
Correct ??

Thanks!
April 27, 2006 4:49:25 PM

i've heard something about dual card setups (dunno if SLI, crossfire or both) will allow one card do calculate physics while the other do the graphics job. but i haven't heard anything about a ppu included in the card... if that's true it would be nice
April 27, 2006 5:00:20 PM

I also heard about the dual card-setup.
I think this uses normal 7900 cards with special drivers allow the GPUs to calculate physics. So in SLI, one card can handle normal GPU work while the other card will handle the physics.
This sounds good, but I will rather see a didicated PPU chip for handling physics on the GPU rather than using normal GPUs with special drivers. (You also don't need PCIe and SLI/crossfile this way)
I hope to see a compairison to see which strategy will work best.
April 27, 2006 5:14:31 PM

Thanks for the info.
Do you think DX10 will support these PPU chips?
Then games & apps using PPU should be very common in a year.
April 27, 2006 5:28:26 PM

Multicore processing will render this thing obsolete pretty quickly.
April 27, 2006 5:34:37 PM

So, from my experience with Dell computers as a long time user, I found that this card works really well in the OEM systems over folks adding them to untested systems.

My neighbor just got the Dell XPS 600 with the AGEIA card and plays all the high end games. He is roughly getting between 120 to 180 FPS in the FEAR benchmark, this appears to be higher then most systems I have seen with the card.

Dell also sold their high end Renegade with this card and a Quad SLI video card package. I look forward to seeing how the computer looks with that configuration.

Dell also has a whole breakdown and detailed information on how the Ageia card works.

The following games support Ageia:

Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter - Ubisoft
Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends - Microsoft Games
Bet on Soldier: Blood Sport - Take Two
CellFactor - not provided
City of Villians - NCSoft
Gunship Apocolypse: Novitas

The following games are working on adaptability:

Unreal Tournament 2007
Sacred 2
Loki
Dogtag
Fallen Earth
Crazy Machines 2
Arena Online
Infernal
Warhammer MMORPG
Eye of the Storm
Alpha Prime
Abyss Lights
Highlander
Dark Basic Pro
Blink 3D
Fritz Chess 3D

Hope this information helps everyone.

Thanks,
April 27, 2006 6:03:21 PM

Quote:
well, technically is possible, as patches can enable smp support, hdr support, why not physics support? it all depende on the developer's willl hahahah
maybe if you ask them gently they might release a patch :p 

but certainly a BF3 will support physics card :) 

You mean the Battlefield 2142? Yeah that game is going to be awesome, but I don't really like the futuristic thing going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_t6g0VLLY0
!