Lotsa freezes lately

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 6, 2005 12:55:35 AM

Lately the Acer laptop, 6 gig, 128 RAM, win 98SE, has been
experiencing a lot of freezes. Seems to happen mostly when I'm online either
using OE or IE. Can't do anything except reboot. Ctr-Alt-del doesn't do
anything. I've run a thorough scandisk which found no errors on the HD. I've
cleaned up the usual with S&D, Adaware and MS antispyware beta. Not much
found anyway.
Where else should I start looking? Memory? Heat?

More about : lotsa freezes

Anonymous
May 6, 2005 10:47:46 PM

A quick thing might be to try Safe Mode, to see whether it freezes
there. If not, then it is likely something in the Startup Group or a
32-bit Normal Mode driver doing it. Then, there is an MSCONFIG
troubleshooting method for that, explained in "START, Help, Contents,
Troubleshooting, Windows 98 Troubleshooters, Startup & Shutdown
section".
http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/tshoot
That also is the Troubleshooters.

Also...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281965
How to Troubleshoot Using the Msconfig Utility with Windows 98
(281965) - This article describes how to use the Microsoft System
Configuration (Msconfig) utility to troubleshoot configuration errors in
Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition.

Careful with that one, though. Don't turn off System.ini or Win.ini,
unless you know how to restore them in DOS.

To get to Safe Mode, hit F5 as you boot. Or hit Ctrl for the Startup
Menu, if not already enabled at "START, Run, MSConfig, Advanced button".

(1) The mouse & keyboard are the ones with moving parts, & they are
"hooked", meaning tasks will run each time you touch one. Therefore,
with the computer off, unplug the mouse & hold by it's tail until it may
stop spinning & squawking. Also, open & clean the ball & rollers. That
is not a design you may see on the rollers-- it is a band of dirt
running round the center! Also, unplug the keyboard, turn it round &
spank it.

I did plenty of THAT, when I suffered erratic mouse movements & ultimate
mouse freeze. Unfortunately, I more/more dimly recall, there were still
one/two freezes AFTER the last cleaning. STILL, it is good to get the
gook out of there, I think.

(2) If disabling your virus checker's auto-"System" scan, using it's
Tray button, leaving the other types on, gives immediate & dramatic
relief, I have further info. This supposedly applies to Scan Engine
4.1.60.

(3)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327551&Product=w98
USB Mouse May Hang When the Computer Is Idle for a Long Time

So, if you have "Find Fast", try disabling that.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=199787
OFF2000: How to Turn Off the Find Fast Indexer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;158705
OFF97: How to Disable the Find Fast Indexer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;135476
OFF95: Office for Windows 95 Find Fast Indexer Overview

(4) For sluggishness in navigating folders: Open Explorer, R-Clk My
Documents in the left pane, & select Properties. How many folders
does it contain? If it is around 100, try moving them out. Reboot. Is
your sluggishness gone?

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,