Connect 2 PCs w/Win98

DaNa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Seems to me there is a way to connect 2 Win 98 pcs using the paralel port.
Does anyone know how to do this? I need to copy large files from one to the
other but don't want to build a network. Is there a way using USB ports?
Machines do not have ethernet so no LAN possible?

"Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Seems to me there is a way to connect 2 Win 98 pcs using the paralel port.
>Does anyone know how to do this? I need to copy large files from one to the
>other but don't want to build a network. Is there a way using USB ports?
>Machines do not have ethernet so no LAN possible?

Parallel port connections are going to be extremely slow for
transferring very large files.

You can buy a special USB cable for networking two computers via their
USB ports but unless both computers support USB2 this also will be
very slow as plain USB is at best 10% faster than a parallel port.

A basic two computer network is very simple to connect and not too
complex to configure. All you need for hardware is two network cards,
which should not be more than $15 each, and a crossover cable to
connect them with, which should be about the same price or less
depending on the length. Just make certain that the cable is a
*crossover* cable. A regular network cable will not work.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

zippy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi Dana

Yes you can connect two PCs via the parallel port. Direct Cable Connection
is what you are looking for in the way of software. This comes as part of
Windows 98 but isn't installed by default so you will need to install it
(Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Windows set-up tab). If you look under
the help stuff it will give you more info.

HTH

Zippy

"Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Seems to me there is a way to connect 2 Win 98 pcs using the paralel port.
> Does anyone know how to do this? I need to copy large files from one to
the
> other but don't want to build a network. Is there a way using USB ports?
> Machines do not have ethernet so no LAN possible?

On Fri, 6 May 2005 09:48:05 -0700, "Dana"
<Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Seems to me there is a way to connect 2 Win 98 pcs using the paralel port.
>Does anyone know how to do this? I need to copy large files from one to the
>other but don't want to build a network. Is there a way using USB ports?
>Machines do not have ethernet so no LAN possible?

Dana,

Try this, I use it and it works well.
Direct Cable Connection is used to connect two computers together
with a cable via the parallel printer port or serial port to
transfer files back and forth. This is for the printer port, it's
faster.

How to Setup Direct Cable Connection.
http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/#How-To

It's the first one on the list.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

"Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Seems to me there is a way to connect 2 Win 98 pcs using the paralel port.
> Does anyone know how to do this? I need to copy large files from one to
the
> other but don't want to build a network. Is there a way using USB ports?
> Machines do not have ethernet so no LAN possible?

Connecting two PCs by cable is "building a network,"
like it or not.
In order to transfer data, you may find it simpler to
put the hard drive from PC A into PC B (as a second
drive), reboot, then use Windows Copy.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs