Vonage with a dial tone?

I just moved into a new apt. and found out that the buzzer is
connected to the phone jack. Basically, a code sends a signal to the
jack and it uses the dial tone to ring your telephone. Im waiting on
more technical details from the mgmt. company but that's the high
level, general, gist.

So.....I have vonage and I'd really rather use that service instead of
going through verizon. Is there a way to hook a VOIP service to a
phone jack and have a dial tone?

Why not just have a separate phone for your door buzzer, and use Vonage for
everything else? Hopefully, the door buzzer system doesn't actually need
the phone to be in service.

Mike Schumann

On 4 Oct 2004 21:33:55 -0700, "Mark" <jmdavies@gmail.com> wrote:

>The POTS lines are what powers your phone with electricity, so they
>have to be removed. The Motorola ATA device from Vonage can power ~3-5
>devices (aka phones), as a limit.

When I moved to Vonage I pulled the plug at the NIC and plugged the
Motorola ATA device into a spare phone jack to connect it to my NINE
devices (aka phone) and one device (aka answering machine).

No problem with their operation - ringing and other features!