How to find uninstalled prog file

I recently uninstalled an anti virus program from my computer because
it was causing problems with it. When the uninstall was almost
complete, the computer locked up and I had to power off to get it to
restart.
Now when I boot up I get the following message:
"Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a
Windows application.
The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file,
but the device file no longer exists.
C:\PROGRA~1\SHAWSE ~1\ANTI-V~1\WIN9X\FSGK95.VXD
Press any key to continue"
The computer then boots up ok, but would like to be able to have an
unattended startup.

I have looked through the system.ini, win.ini, startup in msconfig,
but not sure where to find it in there or in the registry. Nothing is
listed under startup in msconfig that refers to this program.

Can anyone point me to exactly where this reference might reside?

TIA
2 answers Last reply
More about find uninstalled prog file

    "Scott" <scott_conway2003@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

    > I recently uninstalled an anti virus program from my computer because
    > it was causing problems with it. When the uninstall was almost
    > complete, the computer locked up and I had to power off to get it to
    > restart.
    > Now when I boot up I get the following message:
    > "Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a
    > Windows application.
    > The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file,
    > but the device file no longer exists.
    > C:\PROGRA~1\SHAWSE ~1\ANTI-V~1\WIN9X\FSGK95.VXD
    > Press any key to continue"
    > The computer then boots up ok, but would like to be able to have an
    > unattended startup.

    All you need do is edit SYSTEM.INI to nullify this
    file call (left over from the incompete Uninstal).
    Locate its line and enter
    ;
    i.e. semicolon and one space
    at the leftmost end of the line. Save SYSTEM.INI
    and reboot.

    Or if this is a Registry call, just / start / run / REGEDIT.EXE
    Save a copy first in case of disasters
    Then / Find all keys calling FSGK95.VXD and delete them.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    > I have looked through the system.ini, win.ini, startup in msconfig,
    > but not sure where to find it in there or in the registry. Nothing is
    > listed under startup in msconfig that refers to this program.
    >
    > Can anyone point me to exactly where this reference might reside?
    >
    > TIA

    Thanks Don, reg key deleted successfully and all is well.
    On Sat, 7 May 2005 15:07:23 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
    <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote:

    >"Scott" <scott_conway2003@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    >
    >> I recently uninstalled an anti virus program from my computer because
    >> it was causing problems with it. When the uninstall was almost
    >> complete, the computer locked up and I had to power off to get it to
    >> restart.
    >> Now when I boot up I get the following message:
    >> "Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a
    >> Windows application.
    >> The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file,
    >> but the device file no longer exists.
    >> C:\PROGRA~1\SHAWSE ~1\ANTI-V~1\WIN9X\FSGK95.VXD
    >> Press any key to continue"
    >> The computer then boots up ok, but would like to be able to have an
    >> unattended startup.
    >
    >All you need do is edit SYSTEM.INI to nullify this
    >file call (left over from the incompete Uninstal).
    >Locate its line and enter
    >;
    >i.e. semicolon and one space
    >at the leftmost end of the line. Save SYSTEM.INI
    >and reboot.
    >
    >Or if this is a Registry call, just / start / run / REGEDIT.EXE
    >Save a copy first in case of disasters
    >Then / Find all keys calling FSGK95.VXD and delete them.

Computers Devices Windows