Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to find uninstalled prog file

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
May 7, 2005 10:11:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I recently uninstalled an anti virus program from my computer because
it was causing problems with it. When the uninstall was almost
complete, the computer locked up and I had to power off to get it to
restart.
Now when I boot up I get the following message:
"Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a
Windows application.
The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file,
but the device file no longer exists.
C:\PROGRA~1\SHAWSE ~1\ANTI-V~1\WIN9X\FSGK95.VXD
Press any key to continue"
The computer then boots up ok, but would like to be able to have an
unattended startup.

I have looked through the system.ini, win.ini, startup in msconfig,
but not sure where to find it in there or in the registry. Nothing is
listed under startup in msconfig that refers to this program.

Can anyone point me to exactly where this reference might reside?

TIA
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 10:11:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Scott" <scott_conway2003@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:440q71h0p7cg4asj4fhqjuk6up46i9g1hl@4ax.com...

> I recently uninstalled an anti virus program from my computer because
> it was causing problems with it. When the uninstall was almost
> complete, the computer locked up and I had to power off to get it to
> restart.
> Now when I boot up I get the following message:
> "Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a
> Windows application.
> The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file,
> but the device file no longer exists.
> C:\PROGRA~1\SHAWSE ~1\ANTI-V~1\WIN9X\FSGK95.VXD
> Press any key to continue"
> The computer then boots up ok, but would like to be able to have an
> unattended startup.

All you need do is edit SYSTEM.INI to nullify this
file call (left over from the incompete Uninstal).
Locate its line and enter
;
i.e. semicolon and one space
at the leftmost end of the line. Save SYSTEM.INI
and reboot.

Or if this is a Registry call, just / start / run / REGEDIT.EXE
Save a copy first in case of disasters
Then / Find all keys calling FSGK95.VXD and delete them.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

> I have looked through the system.ini, win.ini, startup in msconfig,
> but not sure where to find it in there or in the registry. Nothing is
> listed under startup in msconfig that refers to this program.
>
> Can anyone point me to exactly where this reference might reside?
>
> TIA
May 8, 2005 1:37:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Thanks Don, reg key deleted successfully and all is well.
On Sat, 7 May 2005 15:07:23 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
<d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote:

>"Scott" <scott_conway2003@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>news:440q71h0p7cg4asj4fhqjuk6up46i9g1hl@4ax.com...
>
>> I recently uninstalled an anti virus program from my computer because
>> it was causing problems with it. When the uninstall was almost
>> complete, the computer locked up and I had to power off to get it to
>> restart.
>> Now when I boot up I get the following message:
>> "Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a
>> Windows application.
>> The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file,
>> but the device file no longer exists.
>> C:\PROGRA~1\SHAWSE ~1\ANTI-V~1\WIN9X\FSGK95.VXD
>> Press any key to continue"
>> The computer then boots up ok, but would like to be able to have an
>> unattended startup.
>
>All you need do is edit SYSTEM.INI to nullify this
>file call (left over from the incompete Uninstal).
>Locate its line and enter
>;
>i.e. semicolon and one space
>at the leftmost end of the line. Save SYSTEM.INI
>and reboot.
>
>Or if this is a Registry call, just / start / run / REGEDIT.EXE
>Save a copy first in case of disasters
>Then / Find all keys calling FSGK95.VXD and delete them.
!