Win98 wont start up

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 7, 2005 6:27:01 PM

My computer running Windows 98 SE wont start up anymore. It says that
explorer.exe and comctl32.dll is missing and it freezes up, even though the
files are there. I can't reinstall Windows, either. I am utterly confused and
I have no clue what to do.

More about : win98 wont start

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 9:39:05 PM

Try starting the computer in Safe mode(tap the F8 key repeatedly during
bootup).

Ben

"Milton027" <Milton027@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9C8D6D4-7EAA-42A4-9001-6060F167A978@microsoft.com...
> My computer running Windows 98 SE wont start up anymore. It says that
> explorer.exe and comctl32.dll is missing and it freezes up, even though the
> files are there. I can't reinstall Windows, either. I am utterly confused and
> I have no clue what to do.
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 6:56:51 PM

http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/comctl32.htm
Leboeuf's Comctl32.dll.

http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN... MSKB
Search "Comctl32.dll"; Windows 98; Full Text; Exact Phrase; here are
three of many...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;137273&Product=w98
Error Message: The Comdlg32.dll File Cannot Start
(137273) - When you try to start a program in Windows, you may receive
one of the following error messages: Error starting program. The
Comctl32.dll file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem.
Error starting program. The Comdlg32.dll file cannot...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316517&Product=w98
Error Message: Shell32.dll Is Linked to Missing Export Comctl32.dll:386
(316517) - When you use Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition, you
may receive an error message similar to the following: Shell32.dll is
linked to missing export comctl32.dll:386

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298343
The Error Message "Explorer Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module
Unknown" Is Displayed When Starting Windows
(298343) - After you upgrade Internet Explorer, when you attempt to
restart the computer you may receive an error message similar to one of
the following errors: Explorer caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module
<unknown> -or- The Comctl32.dll file cannot start....

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Milton027" <Milton027@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| My computer running Windows 98 SE wont start up anymore. It says that
| explorer.exe and comctl32.dll is missing and it freezes up, even
though the
| files are there. I can't reinstall Windows, either. I am utterly
confused and
| I have no clue what to do.
May 10, 2005 5:36:04 PM

Safe mode did the same thing and it gave me a BSOD when I pressed
Ctrl+Alt+Del. The BSOD said something like "Fatal exception 0D occured at
0028:C274DF7D. I tried replacing the files from the Win98 CD with the 'ext'
utility but it still does the same thing.

"Ben Myers" wrote:

> Try starting the computer in Safe mode(tap the F8 key repeatedly during
> bootup).
>
> Ben
>
> "Milton027" <Milton027@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9C8D6D4-7EAA-42A4-9001-6060F167A978@microsoft.com...
> > My computer running Windows 98 SE wont start up anymore. It says that
> > explorer.exe and comctl32.dll is missing and it freezes up, even though the
> > files are there. I can't reinstall Windows, either. I am utterly confused and
> > I have no clue what to do.

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 4:07:13 AM

Milton027 wrote:
> My computer running Windows 98 SE wont start up anymore. It says that
> explorer.exe and comctl32.dll is missing and it freezes up, even though the
> files are there. I can't reinstall Windows, either. I am utterly confused and
> I have no clue what to do.

Boot up using the DOS boot floppy, move your valuable files to a safe
location, delete everything and reinstall.

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor

"Even a child who is pure at heart
And does his homework neatly
May become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms
And the moon is full, completely."
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 6:53:37 AM

Try using "Step by step confirmation". Also, please confirm that you extracted
the files to the correct directory.

c:\windows\explorer.exe
c:\windows\system\comctl32.dll

Ben