a VxD load failure, and related questions...

I was just playing around with my system (which is working fine right now),
and found out something interesting that I hope somebody can explain to me
(I haven't found a good explanation yet in my searches so far):

I noticed in a Bootlog.txt file (I made it create one) that ndis2.vxd
"loadfailed", so I thought I'd "help it along" by putting a copy of
ndis2.vxd in the windows\system\vmm32 folder. After bootup, it blue
screened, and I had to restore the registry (and remove that copied file).

What am I missing here? I don't get it - first, why putting that file in
there would hurt anything, and second, why ndis2.vxd is showing up as
loadfailed in the boot log. (It apparently is not being incorporated into
vmm32.vxd either, I gather)

Load Failures Listed in the Bootlog.txt File
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=127970
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I was just playing around with my system (which is working fine right now),
> and found out something interesting that I hope somebody can explain to me
> (I haven't found a good explanation yet in my searches so far):
>
> I noticed in a Bootlog.txt file (I made it create one) that ndis2.vxd
> "loadfailed", so I thought I'd "help it along" by putting a copy of
> ndis2.vxd in the windows\system\vmm32 folder. After bootup, it blue
> screened, and I had to restore the registry (and remove that copied file).
>
> What am I missing here? I don't get it - first, why putting that file in
> there would hurt anything, and second, why ndis2.vxd is showing up as
> loadfailed in the boot log. (It apparently is not being incorporated into
> vmm32.vxd either, I gather)

Thanks Glen. Looks like I was trying to force it to load a VxD with no
supporting hardware (if I'm reading that right - I have no network card)

I have noticed one other anomoly. The last two times I reinstalled
windows, mrci2.vxd was located in the \windows\system\vmm32 subdirectory,
but I don't have it in there now. Why, I have no idea. Do you know why
(or does anybody)?

For some strange reason, it doesn't appear necessary THIS time.

glee wrote:
> Load Failures Listed in the Bootlog.txt File
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=127970
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>

> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I was just playing around with my system (which is working fine right
now),
>> and found out something interesting that I hope somebody can explain to
me
>> (I haven't found a good explanation yet in my searches so far):
>>
>> I noticed in a Bootlog.txt file (I made it create one) that ndis2.vxd
>> "loadfailed", so I thought I'd "help it along" by putting a copy of
>> ndis2.vxd in the windows\system\vmm32 folder. After bootup, it blue
>> screened, and I had to restore the registry (and remove that copied
file).

>> What am I missing here? I don't get it - first, why putting that file
in
>> there would hurt anything, and second, why ndis2.vxd is showing up as
>> loadfailed in the boot log. (It apparently is not being incorporated
into
>> vmm32.vxd either, I gather)

Have a look here:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win95.filediskmanage/browse_frm/thread/1c1766b71a6f9678/5cdaa1dedf828c40?q=what+is+mrci2&rnum=2&hl=en#5cdaa1dedf828c40

MVP Jeff Richards (who is a bit smarter than me ;)) writes that MRCI2.vxd is the
MS-DOS 6.22 Drivespace protected mode compression driver. Take a look at that
thread.
--

> Thanks Glen. Looks like I was trying to force it to load a VxD with no
> supporting hardware (if I'm reading that right - I have no network card)
>
> I have noticed one other anomoly. The last two times I reinstalled
> windows, mrci2.vxd was located in the \windows\system\vmm32 subdirectory,
> but I don't have it in there now. Why, I have no idea. Do you know why
> (or does anybody)?
>
> For some strange reason, it doesn't appear necessary THIS time.
>
> glee wrote:
> > Load Failures Listed in the Bootlog.txt File
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
> >

> > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >> I was just playing around with my system (which is working fine right
> now),
> >> and found out something interesting that I hope somebody can explain to
> me
> >> (I haven't found a good explanation yet in my searches so far):
> >>
> >> I noticed in a Bootlog.txt file (I made it create one) that ndis2.vxd
> >> "loadfailed", so I thought I'd "help it along" by putting a copy of
> >> ndis2.vxd in the windows\system\vmm32 folder. After bootup, it blue
> >> screened, and I had to restore the registry (and remove that copied
> file).
> >>
> >> What am I missing here? I don't get it - first, why putting that file
> in
> >> there would hurt anything, and second, why ndis2.vxd is showing up as
> >> loadfailed in the boot log. (It apparently is not being incorporated
> into
> >> vmm32.vxd either, I gather)

Thanks, Glen. I just read the thread.

I have no use of Drivespace (and I have*never* used it - to my knowledge),
so I'm scratching my head wondering how it ever got installed in that
\system\vmm32 subdirectory before.

(Maybe some software, unbeknownst to me, installed that driver, in those
earlier installations)

glee wrote:
> Have a look here:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win95.filediskmanage/br
owse_frm/thread/1c1766b71a6f9678/5cdaa1dedf828c40?q=what+is+mrci2&rnum=2&hl=
en#5cdaa1dedf828c40

> MVP Jeff Richards (who is a bit smarter than me ;)) writes that MRCI2.vxd
is
> the MS-DOS 6.22 Drivespace protected mode compression driver. Take a
> look at that thread.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>

> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks Glen. Looks like I was trying to force it to load a VxD with no
>> supporting hardware (if I'm reading that right - I have no network card)
>>
>> I have noticed one other anomoly. The last two times I reinstalled
>> windows, mrci2.vxd was located in the \windows\system\vmm32
subdirectory,
>> but I don't have it in there now. Why, I have no idea. Do you know
why
>> (or does anybody)?
>>
>> For some strange reason, it doesn't appear necessary THIS time.
>>
>> glee wrote:
>>> Load Failures Listed in the Bootlog.txt File
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=127970
>>> --
>>> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
>>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>>>

>>> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> me

>> file).

>> into

I dunno....I do have mrci2.vxd there on this system, but this is an upgrade from
Win95B. Perhaps it's time to track down Jeff Richards and ask him, as he seems more
knowledgeable on the subject?
--

> Thanks, Glen. I just read the thread.
>
> I have no use of Drivespace (and I have*never* used it - to my knowledge),
> so I'm scratching my head wondering how it ever got installed in that
> \system\vmm32 subdirectory before.
>
> (Maybe some software, unbeknownst to me, installed that driver, in those
> earlier installations)
>
> glee wrote:
> > Have a look here:
> >
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win95.filediskmanage/br
> owse_frm/thread/1c1766b71a6f9678/5cdaa1dedf828c40?q=what+is+mrci2&rnum=2&hl=
> en#5cdaa1dedf828c40
> >
> > MVP Jeff Richards (who is a bit smarter than me ;)) writes that MRCI2.vxd
> is
> > the MS-DOS 6.22 Drivespace protected mode compression driver. Take a
> > look at that thread.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
> >

> > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >> Thanks Glen. Looks like I was trying to force it to load a VxD with no
> >> supporting hardware (if I'm reading that right - I have no network card)
> >>
> >> I have noticed one other anomoly. The last two times I reinstalled
> >> windows, mrci2.vxd was located in the \windows\system\vmm32
> subdirectory,
> >> but I don't have it in there now. Why, I have no idea. Do you know
> why
> >> (or does anybody)?
> >>
> >> For some strange reason, it doesn't appear necessary THIS time.

> now),
> >> me

> blue
> >> file).

> file in
> >> into

Bill,

If you have DRVSPACE.BIN or DBLSPACE.BIN files in the root check
the Msdos.sys file for:
DBLSpace=1
DRVSpace=1
Change the values to 0 (zero)
If those BIN files are found in the root then the entries are made
in the Msdos.sys file. It would use some memory even though
compression is not setup.

I have the files in the root even though I have never used
compression.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/
______________________________________

On Sun, 8 May 2005 13:12:34 -0600, "Bill in Co."

Bill Watt wrote:
> Bill,
>
> If you have DRVSPACE.BIN or DBLSPACE.BIN files in the root check
> the Msdos.sys file for:

I don't have those (and don't want em on my machine, either!)
(and, no, they're not in Msdos.sys)

> DBLSpace=1
> DRVSpace=1
> Change the values to 0 (zero)
> If those BIN files are found in the root then the entries are made
> in the Msdos.sys file. It would use some memory even though
> compression is not setup.
>
> I have the files in the root even though I have never used
> compression.

Wonder how you got them? Maybe you installed the disk compression tools
as an option in windows setup (or added it in later). Or maybe third
party software did it. (?)

Bill in Co. wrote:

> Thanks, Glen. I just read the thread.
>
> I have no use of Drivespace (and I have*never* used it - to my knowledge),
> so I'm scratching my head wondering how it ever got installed in that
> \system\vmm32 subdirectory before.
>
> (Maybe some software, unbeknownst to me, installed that driver, in those
> earlier installations)

MRCI2.vxd gets installed as part of the following:
Win98(FE&SE) Optional Components - System Tools - [Disk] Compression Tools.

I think that if you install this, that the option disappears from the
list so you can't uninstall it again.

I'm guessing that on earlier installs you probably choose to install
this (or did one of the standard installs), but that this time you did a
custom install and now knew that you had no use for DriveSpace and
choose to leave it unchecked.
Or, like you said, perhaps you installed some 3rd party software that
automatically forced the install of this Win98 Optional Component.

> glee wrote:
>
>>Have a look here:
>>

> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win95.filediskmanage/br
> owse_frm/thread/1c1766b71a6f9678/5cdaa1dedf828c40?q=what+is+mrci2&rnum=2&hl=
> en#5cdaa1dedf828c40
>
>>MVP Jeff Richards (who is a bit smarter than me ;)) writes that MRCI2.vxd
>
> is
>
>>the MS-DOS 6.22 Drivespace protected mode compression driver. Take a
>>look at that thread.

>>>I have noticed one other anomoly. The last two times I reinstalled
>>>windows, mrci2.vxd was located in the \windows\system\vmm32
> subdirectory,
>>>but I don't have it in there now. Why, I have no idea. Do you know
> why
>
>>>(or does anybody)?
>>>
>>>For some strange reason, it doesn't appear necessary THIS time.

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

.... et al. wrote:
> Bill in Co. wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Glen. I just read the thread.
>>
>> I have no use of Drivespace (and I have*never* used it - to my
knowledge),
>> so I'm scratching my head wondering how it ever got installed in that
>> \system\vmm32 subdirectory before.
>>
>> (Maybe some software, unbeknownst to me, installed that driver, in those
>> earlier installations)
>
> MRCI2.vxd gets installed as part of the following:
> Win98(FE&SE) Optional Components - System Tools - [Disk] Compression
Tools.

> I think that if you install this, that the option disappears from the
> list so you can't uninstall it again.

> I'm guessing that on earlier installs you probably choose to install
> this (or did one of the standard installs), but that this time you did a
> custom install and now knew that you had no use for DriveSpace and
> choose to leave it unchecked.

I nearly always use "custom" in my installs, and never installed those disk
compression tools. (Never have used them, and never will use them - am
dead set against them, and always have been)

> Or, like you said, perhaps you installed some 3rd party software that
> automatically forced the install of this Win98 Optional Component.

I think that's probably what happened.

>> glee wrote:
>>
>>> Have a look here:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win95.filediskmanage/br

owse_frm/thread/1c1766b71a6f9678/5cdaa1dedf828c40?q=what+is+mrci2&rnum=2&hl=
>> en#5cdaa1dedf828c40
>>
>>> MVP Jeff Richards (who is a bit smarter than me ;)) writes that
MRCI2.vxd

>> is
>>
>>> the MS-DOS 6.22 Drivespace protected mode compression driver. Take a
>>> look at that thread.

> --
> Please followup in newsgroup.
> E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

On Sun, 8 May 2005 22:20:28 -0600, "Bill in Co."
<not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Bill Watt wrote:
>> Bill,
>>
>> If you have DRVSPACE.BIN or DBLSPACE.BIN files in the root check
>> the Msdos.sys file for:
>
>I don't have those (and don't want em on my machine, either!)
>(and, no, they're not in Msdos.sys)
>
>> DBLSpace=1
>> DRVSpace=1
>> Change the values to 0 (zero)
>> If those BIN files are found in the root then the entries are made
>> in the Msdos.sys file. It would use some memory even though
>> compression is not setup.
>>
>> I have the files in the root even though I have never used
>> compression.
>
>Wonder how you got them? Maybe you installed the disk compression tools
>as an option in windows setup (or added it in later). Or maybe third
>party software did it. (?)

They are dated 1998 and 1999 so I must have upgraded and just chose
everything. I can't think of a third party app that may have been
responsible. Also I have never formatted and re-installed since
before Win 3.1 so I could have acquired them anytime.

BTW this is what MRCI2.VXD does. :)
MS Real Time Compression Interface (DriveSpace) Virtual Device.
DRVSPACX.VXD passes memory pointers to raw data, not the actual file
location, to MRCI2.VXD which performs the actual data compression.
MRCI2.VXD then passes the compressed data back to DRVSPACX.VXD.
DRVSPACX.VXD hands the file to the IOS subsystem which then writes
the file to disk.

From MS File Information, part of MS Management Console.