Unable to acces URL:s after 10 minutes

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 8, 2005 3:57:52 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.os.ms-windows,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

After leaving the desktop idle for 10 minutes after booting, I can no
longer access internet URL:s with either IE6.0 or Firefox1.0, though I
can retreive Emails and NG:s with OE6.0 and Thunderbird1.0. Have an
ADSL connection. This problem only occurs when I start Win98 (not when
starting other partitions with XP, W2k or Win95 on the same box)

Am running Win98 on a box with CPU AMD64 3400+, Chipset K8T800 with VIA
8237 South Bridge. RAM is 1024 MB. Thought this was a memory problem, so
I have eliminated unnecesary processes and have e.g. deactivated the
drivers to a bare minimum for the nVidea GeForce FX5200 video card.

Entries in system.ini:
[386enh] EMMExclude=C000-CFFF
MinPagingFileSize=262144
MaxPagingFileSize=524288
MaxPhysPage=40000
ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1
[vcache] MinFileCache=1024
MaxFileCache=512000
Believe the EMMExclude=C000-CFFF was entered when installing the video
drivers. Have tried to REM it, but no difference. Have tried other
settings of the entries above, but the problem remains. Not so sure it
is a memory problem anymore.

Can anyone give me a clue of what is happening?

Krister
Lytham, UK
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 4:21:40 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.os.ms-windows,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

What happens exactly when you try to access an internet URL after 10 minutes of idle
time? Please post any and all errors and messages verbatim.

While I doubt there is any connection between your problem and your memory settings,
I am a bit baffled by some of your settings:

MaxPhysPage=40000 limits RAM available to Windows, to 1GB. You only have 1GB
installed to begin with, so what is the purpose of adding that to your .ini file?
(unless you are planning to add more RAM later?)

MinFileCache=1024 While MaxFileCache is likely needed here, there is no good
reason for the MinFileCache setting.

MinPagingFileSize=262144
MaxPagingFileSize=524288
This is setting your swap file to a minimum and maximum size. While there may be
some advantage to setting a minimum size (I have a minimum size set here also),
setting a maximum size, effectively putting a limit on the upper end of the swap
file, is a very bad practice which can lead to out-of-memory and other errors.
Apparently you must feel that with 1GB of RAM installed, you won't need or use a the
swap file over the max size you entered. However, there may be cases where Windows
will want to anticipate and create a larger swap file regardless, and you may run
into errors in that case. I don't see the point of your max setting existing at
all.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Krister Hallergard" <krister@hallergard.fsworld.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 5kr83$i7v$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
> After leaving the desktop idle for 10 minutes after booting, I can no
> longer access internet URL:s with either IE6.0 or Firefox1.0, though I
> can retreive Emails and NG:s with OE6.0 and Thunderbird1.0. Have an
> ADSL connection. This problem only occurs when I start Win98 (not when
> starting other partitions with XP, W2k or Win95 on the same box)
>
> Am running Win98 on a box with CPU AMD64 3400+, Chipset K8T800 with VIA
> 8237 South Bridge. RAM is 1024 MB. Thought this was a memory problem, so
> I have eliminated unnecesary processes and have e.g. deactivated the
> drivers to a bare minimum for the nVidea GeForce FX5200 video card.
>
> Entries in system.ini:
> [386enh] EMMExclude=C000-CFFF
> MinPagingFileSize=262144
> MaxPagingFileSize=524288
> MaxPhysPage=40000
> ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1
> [vcache] MinFileCache=1024
> MaxFileCache=512000
> Believe the EMMExclude=C000-CFFF was entered when installing the video
> drivers. Have tried to REM it, but no difference. Have tried other
> settings of the entries above, but the problem remains. Not so sure it
> is a memory problem anymore.
>
> Can anyone give me a clue of what is happening?
>
> Krister
> Lytham, UK

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 2:42:09 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.os.ms-windows,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

On Sun, 08 May 2005 11:57:52 +0100, Krister Hallergard <krister@hallergard.fsworld.co.uk>
wrote the following to uk.comp.os.ms-windows:

> After leaving the desktop idle for 10 minutes after booting, I can no
> longer access internet URL:s with either IE6.0 or Firefox1.0, though I
> can retreive Emails and NG:s with OE6.0 and Thunderbird1.0. Have an
> ADSL connection. This problem only occurs when I start Win98 (not when
> starting other partitions with XP, W2k or Win95 on the same box)

With browser problems the first thing to try is check for spyware and clear
the cache, including the Java cache.

mh.
--
Reply-to address *is* valid. "From" address is a blackhole.

This space to let.
May 9, 2005 2:51:26 AM

glee wrote:
> What happens exactly when you try to access an internet URL after 10 minutes of idle
> time? Please post any and all errors and messages verbatim.
>

> While I doubt there is any connection between your problem and your memory settings,
> I am a bit baffled by some of your settings:
>
> MaxPhysPage=40000 limits RAM available to Windows, to 1GB. You only have 1GB
> installed to begin with, so what is the purpose of adding that to your .ini file?
> (unless you are planning to add more RAM later?)
>
> MinFileCache=1024 While MaxFileCache is likely needed here, there is no good
> reason for the MinFileCache setting.
>
> MinPagingFileSize=262144
> MaxPagingFileSize=524288
> This is setting your swap file to a minimum and maximum size. While there may be
> some advantage to setting a minimum size (I have a minimum size set here also),
> setting a maximum size, effectively putting a limit on the upper end of the swap
> file, is a very bad practice which can lead to out-of-memory and other errors.
> Apparently you must feel that with 1GB of RAM installed, you won't need or use a the
> swap file over the max size you entered. However, there may be cases where Windows
> will want to anticipate and create a larger swap file regardless, and you may run
> into errors in that case. I don't see the point of your max setting existing at
> all.

Thank you Glen. I do agree to your comment upon my settings. Don´t
need the MinFileCache=1024 setting - on the other hand does it harm?
Believe I do need a MaxFileCache setting, but is my suggested value
optimal? As to MaxPhysPage I have seen suggestions that I should put
the value at 20000, but as I don´t understand why, so I put it at 40000.
Don´t think I am using the Swap-file at all - its actual value has
remained 262122 kB whatever I do.

Maybe more importantly, what happens when I try to access an internet
URL? Nothing! The browser starts normally and nothing happens. With
Firefox nothing at all. With IE evenually the default page. No error
messages or anything. Any ideas?
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 3:04:12 AM

news:D 5m1hf$nir$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
> glee wrote:
> > What happens exactly when you try to access an internet URL after 10 minutes of
idle
> > time? Please post any and all errors and messages verbatim.
> >

> > While I doubt there is any connection between your problem and your memory
settings,
> > I am a bit baffled by some of your settings:
> >
> > MaxPhysPage=40000 limits RAM available to Windows, to 1GB. You only have 1GB
> > installed to begin with, so what is the purpose of adding that to your .ini
file?
> > (unless you are planning to add more RAM later?)
> >
> > MinFileCache=1024 While MaxFileCache is likely needed here, there is no good
> > reason for the MinFileCache setting.
> >
> > MinPagingFileSize=262144
> > MaxPagingFileSize=524288
> > This is setting your swap file to a minimum and maximum size. While there may
be
> > some advantage to setting a minimum size (I have a minimum size set here also),
> > setting a maximum size, effectively putting a limit on the upper end of the swap
> > file, is a very bad practice which can lead to out-of-memory and other errors.
> > Apparently you must feel that with 1GB of RAM installed, you won't need or use a
the
> > swap file over the max size you entered. However, there may be cases where
Windows
> > will want to anticipate and create a larger swap file regardless, and you may
run
> > into errors in that case. I don't see the point of your max setting existing at
> > all.
>
> Thank you Glen. I do agree to your comment upon my settings. Don´t
> need the MinFileCache=1024 setting - on the other hand does it harm?

It forces the system to create a ileCache, whether it is ready to or not. I would
remove the MinFileCache setting altogether.

> Believe I do need a MaxFileCache setting, but is my suggested value
> optimal?

Yes.

> As to MaxPhysPage I have seen suggestions that I should put
> the value at 20000, but as I don´t understand why, so I put it at 40000.

20000 is 512MB (536,870,912 bytes), and I am not sure why you want to limit the
amount of RAM available to Win98, to 512MB....I am not sure why you have the setting
at all, unless as I said, you plan to add more RAM later, bringing it over 1GB
installed.

> Don´t think I am using the Swap-file at all - its actual value has
> remained 262122 kB whatever I do.

Then leave your MinPagingFileSize as is, and remove the MaxPagingFileSize setting
altogether.

> Maybe more importantly, what happens when I try to access an internet
> URL? Nothing! The browser starts normally and nothing happens. With
> Firefox nothing at all. With IE evenually the default page. No error
> messages or anything. Any ideas?

Back to the hard question......from where are you accessing the URL (not that it
should matter)? I am guessing, from a link in an email perhaps. Just to be clear,
you *can* access the same URLs using the same method, but then you let the computer
sit idle for 10 minutes, after which those same URLs cause the behaviour you
described?

If that is the case, it is unusual, as normally a configuration problem would cause
this to occur all the time, not just after sitting idle. I agree with Marcus that
you should do a spyware/malware check, and empty your cache, for starters.

Update your anti-virus app and then run a full-system virus scan.

Use CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
Close all browser windows and open apps, start CWShredder and click the Fix button.

Install Ad-Aware SE free Personal Edition, start it, click its 'Check for Updates'
link in the app to install updates, then use it to scan your system, and remove what
it finds.
Ad-Aware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Install, update and run SpyBot Search & Destroy, scan your system, and then remove
the items in RED only.
SpyBot S&D:
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

Install SpywareBlaster:
Click the link in the app to check for and install updates, then click to 'Enable
all protection'.
Update at least weekly.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 1:42:13 PM

Marcus Houlden wrote:
> On Sun, 08 May 2005 11:57:52 +0100, Krister Hallergard <krister@hallergard.fsworld.co.uk>
> wrote the following to uk.comp.os.ms-windows:
>

>>After leaving the desktop idle for 10 minutes after booting, I can no
>>longer access internet URL:s with either IE6.0 or Firefox1.0, though I
>>can retreive Emails and NG:s with OE6.0 and Thunderbird1.0. Have an
>>ADSL connection. This problem only occurs when I start Win98 (not when
>>starting other partitions with XP, W2k or Win95 on the same box)
>

> With browser problems the first thing to try is check for spyware and clear
> the cache, including the Java cache.
>
> mh.

Thanks Marcus. So I cleard all the caches incl the Java, but the
problem remained. Am regularly using these anti spyware: Adaware,
Spybot and SpywareBlaster
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 3:09:42 PM

glee wrote:
> [...]
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3019.html
> http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
> Close all browser windows and open apps, start CWShredder and click the Fix button.
>
> Install Ad-Aware SE free Personal Edition, start it, click its 'Check for Updates'
> link in the app to install updates, then use it to scan your system, and remove what
> it finds.
> Ad-Aware:
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
>
> Install, update and run SpyBot Search & Destroy, scan your system, and then remove
> the items in RED only.
> SpyBot S&D:
> http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download
>
> Install SpywareBlaster:
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2859.html
> Click the link in the app to check for and install updates, then click to 'Enable

Thanks Glen. To remove possible memory setting issues I have followed
your advice and changed the system.ini settings (did not help):
MinFileCache deleted
MaxFileCache=512000
MinPagingFileSize=262144
MaxPagingFileSize deleted
MaxPhysPage deleted

Have www.google.co.uk as default home page in both browsers. Yes at
boot up it starts nomally, but if I leave it for 10 minuets it doesn't.
Changed the home page to AltaVista, alas same result. Am already
using all your suggested links, except CWShredder, which I have now run
and not found anything. As to virus I am using AVG 7.0. Must confess
that I have not run a full-system virus test. Will do that right now.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 3:37:11 PM

Krister Hallergard wrote:
> [...]
>> to 'Enable
>> all protection'.
>> Update at least weekly.
>

> Thanks Glen. To remove possible memory setting issues I have followed
> your advice and changed the system.ini settings (did not help):
> MinFileCache deleted
> MaxFileCache=512000
> MinPagingFileSize=262144
> MaxPagingFileSize deleted
> MaxPhysPage deleted
>
> Have www.google.co.uk as default home page in both browsers. Yes at
> boot up it starts nomally, but if I leave it for 10 minuets it doesn't.
> Changed the home page to AltaVista, alas same result. Am already using
> all your suggested links, except CWShredder, which I have now run and
> not found anything. As to virus I am using AVG 7.0. Must confess that
> I have not run a full-system virus test. Will do that right now.

No virus found
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 6:18:41 PM

glee wrote:
> [...]
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3019.html
> http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
> Close all browser windows and open apps, start CWShredder and click the Fix button.
>
> Install Ad-Aware SE free Personal Edition, start it, click its 'Check for Updates'
> link in the app to install updates, then use it to scan your system, and remove what
> it finds.
> Ad-Aware:
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
>
> Install, update and run SpyBot Search & Destroy, scan your system, and then remove
> the items in RED only.
> SpyBot S&D:
> http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download
>
> Install SpywareBlaster:
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2859.html
> Click the link in the app to check for and install updates, then click to 'Enable

Recalled that I had changed fire wall (from ZoneAlarm to Keiro) just
before getting the new box. So when I could not access URL:s I exited
Keiro and tried again. Got a page called Zone Labs: VSMON - Lockup
Server, informing me that it had detected a problem with my
installation, and therefore had restricted Internet access from my
machine for my protection. This is what must have happened during the
10 minutes!!

To test this theory I installed ZoneAlarm and yes, everything now works
fine. The Win98 I had cloned from the old box, whereas XP and W2k were
fresh installs and had never had ZoneAlarm installed.

I am rather upset with ZoneAlarm for taking this kind of a revenge on
competitors, and intend to change again when I find an alternative. I
had uninstalled ZoneAlarm properly so I think I have the right to be upset.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 6:18:42 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.os.ms-windows,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Alright, now I have a clearer picture of what was going on. I was mis-reading your
post as having the problem *every time* you let it sit idle for 10 minutes, but I
see now that you were relating a single occurrence that did not reverse itself.
Zone Alarm has long had an issue with incomplete uninstall in some cases, and their
support site has had manual uninstall instructions up periodically. Last time I
checked they were gone, and I complained to their support people about that. I see
that NBT has posted with a link to those instructions....I will have to take a look
at the support site and see if they are making those instructions easily visible.

Glad you figured it out, nice work!.....and I understand your annoyance. Kerio is
an excellent firewall, but with a slightly different learning curve than Zone Alarm.
You can use Kerio right out of the box, same as Zone Alarm, but you may want to look
over these suggestions for adding rules:

Kerio and pre-v3.0 Tiny PFW:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/security/2.5.1.+Kerio+and...

Generic Rule Set for Kerio (Proxy and no Proxy):
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,6642367~mode=fla...

Kerio - Example ICMP rules:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,2649460~mode=fla...
--

news:D 5nns3$mll$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
glee wrote:
> [...]

Recalled that I had changed fire wall (from ZoneAlarm to Keiro) just
before getting the new box. So when I could not access URL:s I exited
Keiro and tried again. Got a page called Zone Labs: VSMON - Lockup
Server, informing me that it had detected a problem with my
installation, and therefore had restricted Internet access from my
machine for my protection. This is what must have happened during the
10 minutes!!

To test this theory I installed ZoneAlarm and yes, everything now works
fine. The Win98 I had cloned from the old box, whereas XP and W2k were
fresh installs and had never had ZoneAlarm installed.

I am rather upset with ZoneAlarm for taking this kind of a revenge on
competitors, and intend to change again when I find an alternative. I
had uninstalled ZoneAlarm properly so I think I have the right to be upset.
May 9, 2005 6:37:32 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.os.ms-windows,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Krister Hallergard wrote:
8><............................................................
> I am rather upset with ZoneAlarm for taking this kind of a revenge on
> competitors, and intend to change again when I find an alternative. I
> had uninstalled ZoneAlarm properly so I think I have the right to be upset.

See
http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646...
http://tinyurl.com/28mdc

uninstall ZA
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 6:42:50 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.os.ms-windows,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

> Thanks Marcus. So I cleard all the caches incl the Java, but the
> problem remained. Am regularly using these anti spyware: Adaware,
> Spybot and SpywareBlaster

I've not heard mention of a firewall in this thread. My suggestion would
be to check your firewall settings and logs.

Since it doesn't happen with other OS's and mail is available, even when
the Internet isn't, I would suspect that only port 80 traffic is being
blocked.

Are you using a proxy? Check that also.

Another good anti parasite tool is HiJackThis
(<http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html&gt;) but be careful
about taking any action based on its results, unless you're confident
you know what you're doing.

HTH

--

Simon Elliott
Anonymous

NBT wrote:
> Krister Hallergard wrote:
> 8><............................................................
>
>> I am rather upset with ZoneAlarm for taking this kind of a revenge on
>> competitors, and intend to change again when I find an alternative. I
>> had uninstalled ZoneAlarm properly so I think I have the right to be
>> upset.
>

> See
> http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/28mdc
>
> uninstall ZA

Thanks NBT. I did not know about this. Krister
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 7:25:43 PM

Simon Elliott wrote:

>> Thanks Marcus. So I cleard all the caches incl the Java, but the
>> problem remained. Am regularly using these anti spyware: Adaware,
>> Spybot and SpywareBlaster
>

> I've not heard mention of a firewall in this thread. My suggestion would
> be to check your firewall settings and logs.
>
> Since it doesn't happen with other OS's and mail is available, even when
> the Internet isn't, I would suspect that only port 80 traffic is being
> blocked.
>
> Are you using a proxy? Check that also.
>
> Another good anti parasite tool is HiJackThis
> (<http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html&gt;) but be careful
> about taking any action based on its results, unless you're confident
> you know what you're doing.
>
> HTH

Thanks Simon, you were right about firewall, ZoneAlarm taking revenge on
Keiro, see above, posted an hour before yours. Krister
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 9:14:38 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.os.ms-windows,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

No, you read correctly that it happened every time, and in order to
access internet again I had to reboot. And then if I left it for 10
minutes I again could not access internet. Thank you Glen

glee wrote:
> Alright, now I have a clearer picture of what was going on. I was mis-reading your
> post as having the problem *every time* you let it sit idle for 10 minutes, but I
> see now that you were relating a single occurrence that did not reverse itself.
> Zone Alarm has long had an issue with incomplete uninstall in some cases, and their
> support site has had manual uninstall instructions up periodically. Last time I
> checked they were gone, and I complained to their support people about that. I see
> that NBT has posted with a link to those instructions....I will have to take a look
> at the support site and see if they are making those instructions easily visible.
>
> Glad you figured it out, nice work!.....and I understand your annoyance. Kerio is
> an excellent firewall, but with a slightly different learning curve than Zone Alarm.
> You can use Kerio right out of the box, same as Zone Alarm, but you may want to look
> over these suggestions for adding rules:
>
> Kerio and pre-v3.0 Tiny PFW:
> http://www.dslreports.com/faq/security/2.5.1.+Kerio+and...
>
> Generic Rule Set for Kerio (Proxy and no Proxy):
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,6642367~mode=fla...
>
> Kerio - Example ICMP rules:
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,2649460~mode=fla...
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 9:14:39 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.os.ms-windows,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Wow...so Zone Alarm was cutting off you Internet access via browsers 10 minutes
after *each* boot. Very interesting.......
--

news:D 5o25v$1t1$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> No, you read correctly that it happened every time, and in order to
> access internet again I had to reboot. And then if I left it for 10
> minutes I again could not access internet. Thank you Glen
>

> glee wrote:
> > Alright, now I have a clearer picture of what was going on. I was mis-reading
your
> > post as having the problem *every time* you let it sit idle for 10 minutes, but
> > see now that you were relating a single occurrence that did not reverse itself.
> > Zone Alarm has long had an issue with incomplete uninstall in some cases, and
their
> > support site has had manual uninstall instructions up periodically. Last time I
> > checked they were gone, and I complained to their support people about that. I
see
> > that NBT has posted with a link to those instructions....I will have to take a
look
> > at the support site and see if they are making those instructions easily
visible.

> > Glad you figured it out, nice work!.....and I understand your annoyance. Kerio
is
> > an excellent firewall, but with a slightly different learning curve than Zone
Alarm.
> > You can use Kerio right out of the box, same as Zone Alarm, but you may want to
look
> > over these suggestions for adding rules:
> >
> > Kerio and pre-v3.0 Tiny PFW:
> > http://www.dslreports.com/faq/security/2.5.1.+Kerio+and...
> >
> > Generic Rule Set for Kerio (Proxy and no Proxy):
> > http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,6642367~mode=fla...
> >
> > Kerio - Example ICMP rules:
> > http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,2649460~mode=fla...
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 10:18:07 PM

glee wrote:
> Wow...so Zone Alarm was cutting off you Internet access via browsers 10 minutes
> after *each* boot. Very interesting.......

Yes, you got it
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 5:27:31 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.os.ms-windows,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

| Kerio and pre-v3.0 Tiny PFW:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/security/2.5.1.+Kerio+and...

| Generic Rule Set for Kerio (Proxy and no Proxy):
| http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,6642367~mode=fla...
|
| Kerio - Example ICMP rules:
| http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,2649460~mode=fla...

Yow, I find those to be almost as incomprehensible as...
www.geocities.com/yosponge

(1) Do you have a rule named DNS that permits UDP packets in both
directions, any port, any application, any address, single port, port
number 53, valid always?

(2) What about much the same for one named DHCP (Dynamic Host
Configuration Protocol)?

(3) Do you allow Kerio itself to send & receive?

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| Alright, now I have a clearer picture of what was going on. I was
mis-reading your
| post as having the problem *every time* you let it sit idle for 10
minutes, but I
| see now that you were relating a single occurrence that did not
reverse itself.
| Zone Alarm has long had an issue with incomplete uninstall in some
cases, and their
| support site has had manual uninstall instructions up periodically.
Last time I
| checked they were gone, and I complained to their support people about
that. I see
| that NBT has posted with a link to those instructions....I will have
to take a look
| at the support site and see if they are making those instructions
easily visible.

| Glad you figured it out, nice work!.....and I understand your
annoyance. Kerio is
| an excellent firewall, but with a slightly different learning curve
than Zone Alarm.
| You can use Kerio right out of the box, same as Zone Alarm, but you
may want to look
| over these suggestions for adding rules:
|
| Kerio and pre-v3.0 Tiny PFW:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/security/2.5.1.+Kerio+and...

| Generic Rule Set for Kerio (Proxy and no Proxy):
| http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,6642367~mode=fla...
|
| Kerio - Example ICMP rules:
| http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,2649460~mode=fla...
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
....snip
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 12:04:09 PM

PCR wrote:
> | Kerio and pre-v3.0 Tiny PFW:
> |
> http://www.dslreports.com/faq/security/2.5.1.+Kerio+and...
> |
> | Generic Rule Set for Kerio (Proxy and no Proxy):
> | http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,6642367~mode=fla...
> |
> | Kerio - Example ICMP rules:
> | http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,2649460~mode=fla...
>
> Yow, I find those to be almost as incomprehensible as...
> www.geocities.com/yosponge
>
> (1) Do you have a rule named DNS that permits UDP packets in both
> directions, any port, any application, any address, single port, port
> number 53, valid always?
>
> (2) What about much the same for one named DHCP (Dynamic Host
> Configuration Protocol)?
>
> (3) Do you allow Kerio itself to send & receive?

Have not got a clue. I used Keiro "as installed"
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 12:11:57 PM

snip
>> Thanks Glen. To remove possible memory setting issues I have followed
>> your advice and changed the system.ini settings (did not help):
>> MinFileCache deleted
>> MaxFileCache=512000
>> MinPagingFileSize=262144
>> MaxPagingFileSize deleted
>> MaxPhysPage deleted

Also have a Win95 partition, where there is a memory problem.

Should the settings be the same as those you recommeded for Win98 above?
Especially curious about the MaxFileCache (should it be as low as
12000?) and MaxPhysPage (if at all, 10000,20000 or 40000?)
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 10:59:30 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.os.ms-windows,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Hmm. I've recently begun to play with mine again, but I don't want to go
batty with it. Too bad it has no way to export a text file of the rules
I've got now.
Yikes, here's an Incoming Alert...!...

Details: Someone from 218.66.104.133, port 35514 wants to send UDP
datagram to port 1026 owned by 'Kerio Personal Firewall Engine' on your
computer.

Details About Application: c:\program files\kerio\personal
firewall\persfw.exe

....I presume that is Kerio trying to talk to itself with a UDP datagram.
I am manually denying it at this point.

Now, wait a minute, what is this one...?...

UDP Datagram from minidns.nyc.mini.untd.com [64.136.20.122:53] was
permitted by rule 'DNS'

....There is some Kerio & MSIMN (Outlook Express) that got through my
newly constructed DNS rule! Seems like there is a flurry of it each time
I deny the top one!

--
news:D 5pm9p$jdp$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
| PCR wrote:
| > | Kerio and pre-v3.0 Tiny PFW:
| > |

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/security/2.5.1.+Kerio+and...
| > |
| > | Generic Rule Set for Kerio (Proxy and no Proxy):
| > | http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,6642367~mode=fla...
| > |
| > | Kerio - Example ICMP rules:
| > | http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,2649460~mode=fla...
| >
| > Yow, I find those to be almost as incomprehensible as...
| > www.geocities.com/yosponge
| >
| > (1) Do you have a rule named DNS that permits UDP packets in both
| > directions, any port, any application, any address, single port,
port
| > number 53, valid always?
| >
| > (2) What about much the same for one named DHCP (Dynamic Host
| > Configuration Protocol)?
| >
| > (3) Do you allow Kerio itself to send & receive?
| >

| Have not got a clue. I used Keiro "as installed"
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 1:37:47 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.os.ms-windows,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Have You WinMX or another Napster-based application running?
WinMX uploader makes some ADSL-modems hanging.

"Krister Hallergard" <krister@hallergard.fsworld.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 5n7lm$afg$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Marcus Houlden wrote:
> > On Sun, 08 May 2005 11:57:52 +0100, Krister Hallergard
<krister@hallergard.fsworld.co.uk>
> > wrote the following to uk.comp.os.ms-windows:
> >

> >>After leaving the desktop idle for 10 minutes after booting, I can no
> >>longer access internet URL:s with either IE6.0 or Firefox1.0, though I
> >>can retreive Emails and NG:s with OE6.0 and Thunderbird1.0. Have an
> >>ADSL connection. This problem only occurs when I start Win98 (not when
> >>starting other partitions with XP, W2k or Win95 on the same box)
> >

> > With browser problems the first thing to try is check for spyware and
clear
> > the cache, including the Java cache.
> >
> > mh.
>
> Thanks Marcus. So I cleard all the caches incl the Java, but the
> problem remained. Am regularly using these anti spyware: Adaware,
> Spybot and SpywareBlaster
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 1:37:48 PM

news.estpak.ee wrote:
> Have You WinMX or another Napster-based application running?
> WinMX uploader makes some ADSL-modems hanging.
>
> "Krister Hallergard" <krister@hallergard.fsworld.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D 5n7lm$afg$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
>
>>Marcus Houlden wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun, 08 May 2005 11:57:52 +0100, Krister Hallergard
>
> <krister@hallergard.fsworld.co.uk>

>>>With browser problems the first thing to try is check for spyware and
>
> clear
>
>>>the cache, including the Java cache.
>>>
>>>mh.
>>
>>Thanks Marcus. So I cleard all the caches incl the Java, but the
>>problem remained. Am regularly using these anti spyware: Adaware,
>>Spybot and SpywareBlaster

No, the problem was this. I thought I had uninstalled ZoneAlarm and
installed Keiro. What happened was that ZoneAlarm blocked Internet
after about 10 minutes, and there is a page informing about this.
However, as I was running Keiro I could not see this ZoneAlarm page.
Became obvious when I happened to switch off Keiro.
!