What upgrade Card to get?

GFKiraR

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
well im near finished building my new system and i now just need to get a video card. im gonna be mostly playing games and doing some sound, music editing. i was looking at getting a Geforce 7900GT with a Zalman VF900HSF, but now im considering a X1800XT 512 card. mainly because i see that the next main game im gonna be playing is GRAW(Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter) and in the opening credits it shows that its main supporters are IntelEE Cpu's and ATI video cards and ofcourse Agia phsyx. i started playing it on my old system, a Intel 2.4Ghz HT 800Mhzfsb,AGP 6600GT setup and it was really laggy, likely i was maybe getting 15-20FPS max. so now with my new system i only need to get a video card, i really like the 7900GT because of all the reviews ive seen on it but my friends who have tried out the GRAW Demo with a 6800Ultra 754 AMD setup said they were lagging badly so that why im not so sure about getting it .
heres the setup.
AMD Athalon 64 X2 3800+CPU, gonna overclock it to 2.2ghz
ASUS A8N-E Mobo
1GB of Corsair XMS Pro CS2
150GB 3.0GBS sata HD
450watt PSU
im not looking to spend to mutch more then $380 or so with it.

pauldh

Illustrious
Sorry, can't help you with that game. While it could be the case that ATI will win out in that game (X1800XT>7900GT), it's not a given. Just Look at Oblivion which is an Nvidia TWIMTBP game, and the ATI's are kicking butt in it. :lol: Although i will say that ATI doesn't pay to play as often as NV, so it could be they would take their games (like they originally did with HL2) a greater percentage of the time compared to NV that sticks their logo on what seems to be countless games.

Bottom line is they are both great cards; you just need to find out which is better for your game. The game comes out in a week, so mabye there will be some benchies of it soon.