Curious about this entry from KB891711 install

I ran INCTRL5 before and after installing KB891711, and found that
the install produced this registry entry in addition to the
RunServices entry. And I just wondered in what way printers are
involved in this update.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers
"StartOnBoot"
Old type: REG_DWORD
New type: REG_DWORD
Old data: 00, 00, 00, 00
New data: 01, 00, 00, 00
3 answers Last reply
More about curious entry kb891711 install

    It's not related to the update at all....it occurs at boot sometimes, and you
    booted. I see it toggle back and forth from 0 to 1 periodically on boot-up here. I
    never bothered to research exactly why it does so, but it is not due to the update.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Peabody" <waybackKILLSPAM44@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I ran INCTRL5 before and after installing KB891711, and found that
    > the install produced this registry entry in addition to the
    > RunServices entry. And I just wondered in what way printers are
    > involved in this update.
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers
    > "StartOnBoot"
    > Old type: REG_DWORD
    > New type: REG_DWORD
    > Old data: 00, 00, 00, 00
    > New data: 01, 00, 00, 00

    glee says...

    > It's not related to the update at all....it occurs at
    > boot sometimes, and you booted.

    Actually, no I didn't. That's why I asked about it.

    > I see it toggle back and forth from 0 to 1 periodically
    > on boot-up here. I never bothered to research exactly
    > why it does so, but it is not due to the update.

    Ok, well, as long as it's not a problem. Thanks.

    > glee says...
    >
    > > It's not related to the update at all....it occurs at
    > > boot sometimes, and you booted.
    >
    > Actually, no I didn't. That's why I asked about it.

    The update may trigger the switch when installed, the same way a reboot sometimes
    does....but it is not a part of the update that creates or modifies the setting
    directly. You might ask in a Printing group exactly what the StartOnBoot setting is
    for and why it periodically toggles, as it is a setting that is included in most
    printers' Setup Information (.inf) files.

    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Printers Registry Microsoft Windows