San Diego SH-E5

Xabbo

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
Alright time for another San Diego E6 discussion. Not too many of the E6s around yet it seems, as info is pretty scarce. My core is identified as ADA3700DKA5CF which is the supposed E6 stepping. Now thats fine but both CPU-Z and Central Brain identify it as having a stepping of SH-E5. I would like to hear some thoughts on this. Another thing is the batch number CCBWE which seems to correspond to opterons but appears on my San Diego. Ive asked this before but never recieved a satisfactory answer.

Also anyones E6 overclocking results would be appreciated with their corresponding voltages. To start it off i got mine to 2.59 at 1.4 volts on the 11x multiplier. Not great but my board doesnt support higher voltages until/if i do a voltmod.

San Diego 3700
ASRock SataII
Enermax 425P
1 Gig OCZ Platinum
Radeon x800xl

knightrous

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
The 3700+ should be able to clock higher then that. What are all your OC settings?

I've currently got my 3200+ Venice @ 2.6Ghz with stock HSF and it's idling at 31-32'c (40-44'c under heavy load) with an ambient room temp of 26'c. I'm running 1.450v core voltage, 10x CPU , 4x HTT, 1.53:1 (Ram runs @ DDR390) with 260mhz base. It was rather easy to obtain and I don't have an extremely fancy mobo or ram either :? I'm no overclock expert (This was my first OC) but I agree with Wusy, you should be able to get 2.88 fairly easily.

Xabbo

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
As to my OC settings;

Async, coolnquiet disabled, 1.45volts (1.4 volts in bios), 230 on the 11x multi, 4x HT, 1:1 (Ill explain later), ram timings 2.5-3-3-6, load temp 50, idle 38.

I believe what is limiting my overclock is that my mobo doesnt like dividers. For example, i tried 10x mulit at 250 HT with at 166 divider (ram would be at 208 which i know works) everything else as above and it wouldnt boot no matter what i tried. As i know the cpu is good for 2.5 from the earlier settings and over 3 hours of prime95, it seems strange.

As to your settings is it yours an E6? And from slinking around in other forums (OCWorkbench, overclock.net, etc.) i see that generally the venice does overclock better then the San Diego and runs cooler.

knightrous

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Yes, my 3200 is an E6. It does seem pretty strange that you can't get any more. Also, since your proc isn't an FX, isn't the CPU multi locked? So if you changed it from x11 to x10, that would probably explain the no boot issue.

I have a feeling it's to do with the ram divider. I couldn't get my Corsair ram to run anymore then DDR440 without it locking up (only 2.2ghz) but once I slide the ratio back, to 1.5:1 I was able to get the CPU freq up to 2.6ghz with the ram just running at DDR390.

Any expert OC'ers want to pitch in some info?

Xabbo

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
Ya that be great. I figured out that the 166 divider is problematic on my board which is the reason for my problem with the 10x multiplier. The only thing holding me back now is voltage. At 1.45 my cpu tops out at 2.53ghz prime stable. I hope yours has a better result. My stepping is CCBWE 0544.

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Mine is in my sig, but I'll give some more details...
- The voltage is set from bios
- FSB 260, Multiplier x10, HTT x3
- Stock cooling, running about 35-38ºC idle, and 40-42ºC on full load
- RAM is running with 3-3-3-7 timings (cheapo brand), above 400 MHz (can't remember how much exactly, but it doesn't go further than 15-20 MHz)

I'd bet if I had a better PSU, it would go further... maybe 2.8... 8O
I can't set FSB:DRAM ratio on my mobo, so I underclock it manually before doing overclocking to the FSB
Quick question! Am I losing performance with a lower HTT speed?? Is it "visible"???

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
It is very possible that your motherboard is topping out. And Knightrous, all AMD 64 chips are locked up(exception FX) but they are all unlocked to the lower multi's which makes CNQ work. Other than that, you may need more voltage, but I would think you could get a little higher at stock. I am sorry to say it, but you would probably be best served to purchase a mobo that will have better voltage settings. Also, are you locking your PCI bus down? Your PSU should be plenty, it is a fairly low power system. My 165 opteron is JH9-E6 and it runs 2.7 stable @ 1.5 volts. I am using an Asus A8N SLI premium.... if I were you, I would keep the memory at as close to 400 or below, and then OC the cpu. I would not lower the CPU multi as I have had trouble with that before also, some boards the .5 multi won't work. And some the 8 won't work but the 7 will.... it is very strange. I had one setup, the only way it was stable @ 2.8 was with a 400 bus, cpu @ 7 and the memory turned all the way down. I actually had the htt running @ 1200. But I could not duplicate it in a another DFI board..... only that one golden board. I just could n't get a stable OC so I tried some stuff that I didn't think would work, and it did. Sorry if this is hard to understand I just got off of work and I am tired.... going to bed.