automating a multi-step action in Windows into one step

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Here's the kind of thing I do a million times. I've just copied some
text from a web page into Word. Now I want to copy the URL of that web
page into Word.

I do Alt+Tab to switch back to the Internet Exporer page.

I press Alt+D to place cursor in address bar.

I press Ctrl+C to copy the address.

I use Alt+Tab switch back to Word.

I press Ctrl+V to paste the url into Word.

Would there be a way to automate these five steps into one action,
whether done by a .vbs file or some other means?

If it is MS Word (part of MS Office). Not sure if in your version of Word you
can do this, yet worth mentioning:

While in Word click Insert > Hyperlink.
Click on the Browsed Pages icon and select the URL from the list.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message

> Here's the kind of thing I do a million times. I've just copied some
> text from a web page into Word. Now I want to copy the URL of that web
> page into Word.
>
> I do Alt+Tab to switch back to the Internet Exporer page.
>
> I press Alt+D to place cursor in address bar.
>
> I press Ctrl+C to copy the address.
>
> I use Alt+Tab switch back to Word.
>
> I press Ctrl+V to paste the url into Word.
>
> Would there be a way to automate these five steps into one action,
> whether done by a .vbs file or some other means?

This is actually a WORD question, not a Windows question, so you might get
better answers in a WORD newsgroup.

These steps can be written as a VBA module in WORD and assigned to a hotkey.
There will be some restrictions - for instance if you have two copies of IE
open then you would need to select which one should be the source for the
URL. You will find many references to writing VBA modules for WORD - this
site is a useful starting point.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/word/articles/default.aspx

This site has many small example modules
http://www.vba-programmer.com/
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)