Downloading problems

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I have recently upgraded to Windows 98 second edition, have installed Comcast
high speed internet, and have attempted to execute the "Easychange "software.

I get a window opened with a small square (about 3/4 ") with 3 symblos
inside: a red square, a green circle, and a blue triangle. Nothing executes,
I can not get any response from right or left clicking on the small square.
I have also gotten this small square as response to other attempts to load
funtions from a website. I have tried disabling McAfee, tried enabling
Active X, etc.

Anybody out there , know what is going on??

Thanks in advance
--
MS 98 SE Troubles
12 answers Last reply
More about downloading problems
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    From your description, it sounds like what is referred to in this reply by MS-MVP
    Alan Edwards:

    If it is only .exe files, then read on and see if this is relevant:
    You may have an invalid plugin.
    Netscape-Style Plug-ins Do Not Work After Upgrading Internet Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3034­01

    Remove the plugin with Regedit.exe
    Start-Run-Regedit.exe
    Navigate down to this key and remove it, after exporting it as a
    normal safety precaution.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi­crosoft\Internet
    Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.ex­e

    If that key exists, then you will see what plugin has been installed.
    The key does not normally exist.
    ***********
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx


    "MS 98 SE Troubles" <MS98SETroubles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:076B8F7A-0019-4572-A3DB-80D5A91A4E97@microsoft.com...
    > I have recently upgraded to Windows 98 second edition, have installed Comcast
    > high speed internet, and have attempted to execute the "Easychange "software.
    >
    > I get a window opened with a small square (about 3/4 ") with 3 symblos
    > inside: a red square, a green circle, and a blue triangle. Nothing executes,
    > I can not get any response from right or left clicking on the small square.
    > I have also gotten this small square as response to other attempts to load
    > funtions from a website. I have tried disabling McAfee, tried enabling
    > Active X, etc.
    >
    > Anybody out there , know what is going on??
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > --
    > MS 98 SE Troubles
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "MS 98 SE Troubles" <MS98SETroubles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:076B8F7A-0019-4572-A3DB-80D5A91A4E97@microsoft.com...
    > I have recently upgraded to Windows 98 second edition, have installed
    Comcast
    > high speed internet, and have attempted to execute the "Easychange
    "software.
    >
    > I get a window opened with a small square (about 3/4 ") with 3 symblos
    > inside: a red square, a green circle, and a blue triangle. Nothing
    executes,
    > I can not get any response from right or left clicking on the small
    square.
    > I have also gotten this small square as response to other attempts to load
    > funtions from a website. I have tried disabling McAfee, tried enabling
    > Active X, etc.
    >
    > Anybody out there , know what is going on??
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > --
    > MS 98 SE Troubles

    Test Macromedia Shockwave & Flash Players
    http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    If it is only .exe files, then read on and see if this is relevant:
    You may have an invalid plugin.
    Netscape-Style Plug-ins Do Not Work After Upgrading Internet Explorer
    [Q303401]
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303401

    Remove the plugin with Regedit.exe
    Start-Run-Regedit.exe
    Navigate down to this key and remove it, after exporting it as a
    normal safety precaution.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
    Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.exe

    If that key exists, then you will see what plugin has been installed.
    The key does not normally exist.

    ....Alan
    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "MS 98 SE Troubles"
    <MS98SETroubles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have recently upgraded to Windows 98 second edition, have installed Comcast
    >high speed internet, and have attempted to execute the "Easychange "software.
    >
    >I get a window opened with a small square (about 3/4 ") with 3 symblos
    >inside: a red square, a green circle, and a blue triangle. Nothing executes,
    >I can not get any response from right or left clicking on the small square.
    >I have also gotten this small square as response to other attempts to load
    >funtions from a website. I have tried disabling McAfee, tried enabling
    >Active X, etc.
    >
    >Anybody out there , know what is going on??
    >
    >Thanks in advance
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I thought so too but was a little slow. <g>

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "glee"
    <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote:

    >From your description, it sounds like what is referred to in this reply by MS-MVP
    >Alan Edwards:
    >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Only four minutes, but you *did* have a headstart, being on the other side of the
    Date Line. <g>

    BTW, doing a quick google on:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi­crosoft\Internet
    Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.ex­e
    it is interesting to note how many people quote your exact reply, word for word,
    without bothering to acknowledge the authorship. :-\
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

    "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    news:4pvs71h47v4crp19hvn4s4g2jdkdd06sd5@4ax.com...
    > I thought so too but was a little slow. <g>
    >
    > ...Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "glee"
    > <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote:
    >
    > >From your description, it sounds like what is referred to in this reply by MS-MVP
    > >Alan Edwards:
    > >
    >
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Yes, I see what you mean.
    Perhaps I should have put a copyright on it?
    I used that response every day for ages at one time, but it has become
    rare now that I get a chance.

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html


    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "glee"
    <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote:

    >Only four minutes, but you *did* have a headstart, being on the other side of the
    >Date Line. <g>
    >
    >BTW, doing a quick google on:
    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi­crosoft\Internet
    >Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.ex­e
    >it is interesting to note how many people quote your exact reply, word for word,
    >without bothering to acknowledge the authorship. :-\
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Considering how many people illegally download copyrighted music and even movies
    without a bat of the eye, I don't think copyrighting your reply will deter anyone.
    ;-)

    ....glen
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

    "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    news:1eat71ds76n4gedj2b1eb6g9n0a64k30ac@4ax.com...
    > Yes, I see what you mean.
    > Perhaps I should have put a copyright on it?
    > I used that response every day for ages at one time, but it has become
    > rare now that I get a chance.
    >
    > ...Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    >
    > In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "glee"
    > <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Only four minutes, but you *did* have a headstart, being on the other side of the
    > >Date Line. <g>
    > >
    > >BTW, doing a quick google on:
    > >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi­crosoft\Internet
    > >Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.ex­e
    > >it is interesting to note how many people quote your exact reply, word for word,
    > >without bothering to acknowledge the authorship. :-\
    >
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I don't think that McAfee has anything to do with the problem as I'm having
    the same problem and I've never used McAfee on my computer. Also, this is
    definitely a cross-platform issue that may or may not have anything to do
    with the operating system used because I'm using XP. I tried Alan Edwards
    suggestion and it didn't stop that inferno icon from appearing whenever
    trying to download software. Does anyone else out there have a suggestion to
    solve this very common problem?

    ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I don't know who mentioned McAfee, so I don't know what connection you
    are making there.

    Don't give up too quickly on my suggestion.
    Is there anything at all under the key below?

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
    Explorer\Plugins\Extension

    If so, export it and post it here for a second opinion or just delete
    it.

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html


    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Robert H"
    <RobertH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I don't think that McAfee has anything to do with the problem as I'm having
    >the same problem and I've never used McAfee on my computer. Also, this is
    >definitely a cross-platform issue that may or may not have anything to do
    >with the operating system used because I'm using XP. I tried Alan Edwards
    >suggestion and it didn't stop that inferno icon from appearing whenever
    >trying to download software. Does anyone else out there have a suggestion to
    >solve this very common problem?
    >
    >ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    >
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Thanks, Alan, for your response -- and your encouragement! I don't think that
    I'll quit trying anytime soon as I've been working on the problem for six
    months! The reference to McAfee was in response to the originating post in
    this thread. He suspected McAfee Anti-Virus might play a role. And I had
    already followed your original registry check when you first posted it
    without any result (it wasn't where you told us to look).

    I do know, however, that the problem is a cross-platform problem as at least
    Win98 and Win XP are similarly effected. I also know after reading many posts
    across the net that that dread small square box containing the red square,
    green circle and blue triangle, can result in MANY different situations
    including such times as when someone is trying to read an Adobe .pdf file,
    others with Netscape and MSIE6 crashing into each other, missing active-x
    files, music playing, etc. The only time I have the problem is when I've
    clicked on a "download" button when it will appear every time. If the
    download button directs me to an executable file such as .exe or .com, then I
    can workaround it by right-clicking on the download button and selecting
    "save target as...", downloading the file, and running from my hard drive.
    But I have found absolutely no workaround when clicking on the download
    button re-directs me to one of those .htm sites containing the boilerplate
    disclaimer clauses that I must agree to first before I'm directed to the
    download site.

    I have a lot of additional diagnostic work that I've performed without
    success but I don't want to drive anyone crazy with this problem that has
    obsessed me for so long.

    Ironically, if the problem is cause by a bug that is corrected by an
    available download, then I may or may not be able to get that bug-fix.
    [Actually, if I knew that were the case, then I would download any identified
    software patch or bug-fix on my backup computer and send it to my main
    computer as an e-mail attachment].

    Thanks very much again for taking the time to write.

    "Alan Edwards" wrote:

    > I don't know who mentioned McAfee, so I don't know what connection you
    > are making there.
    >
    > Don't give up too quickly on my suggestion.
    > Is there anything at all under the key below?
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
    > Explorer\Plugins\Extension
    >
    > If so, export it and post it here for a second opinion or just delete
    > it.
    >
    > ....Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    >
    > In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Robert H"
    > <RobertH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I don't think that McAfee has anything to do with the problem as I'm having
    > >the same problem and I've never used McAfee on my computer. Also, this is
    > >definitely a cross-platform issue that may or may not have anything to do
    > >with the operating system used because I'm using XP. I tried Alan Edwards
    > >suggestion and it didn't stop that inferno icon from appearing whenever
    > >trying to download software. Does anyone else out there have a suggestion to
    > >solve this very common problem?
    > >
    > >ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    >
    >
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Hi Robert,

    Sorry, I can now see where you got the spurious McAfee reference but I
    wrongly assumed you were the OP under another assumed name. (It
    becomes difficult with that infernal web interface to figure out whom
    one is talking to)

    I assume you do not have the Registry key I mentioned, which is quite
    unusual in this particular case. Please check the key in my last
    response shown below, not in the original response.
    Can you try and determine what key is being accessed when you have the
    problem?
    This freeware takes a bit of effort, but is worth persisting with:
    Regmon: http://www.sysinternals.com/

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Robert H"
    <RobertH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Thanks, Alan, for your response -- and your encouragement! I don't think that
    >I'll quit trying anytime soon as I've been working on the problem for six
    >months! The reference to McAfee was in response to the originating post in
    >this thread. He suspected McAfee Anti-Virus might play a role. And I had
    >already followed your original registry check when you first posted it
    >without any result (it wasn't where you told us to look).
    >
    >I do know, however, that the problem is a cross-platform problem as at least
    >Win98 and Win XP are similarly effected. I also know after reading many posts
    >across the net that that dread small square box containing the red square,
    >green circle and blue triangle, can result in MANY different situations
    >including such times as when someone is trying to read an Adobe .pdf file,
    >others with Netscape and MSIE6 crashing into each other, missing active-x
    >files, music playing, etc. The only time I have the problem is when I've
    >clicked on a "download" button when it will appear every time. If the
    >download button directs me to an executable file such as .exe or .com, then I
    >can workaround it by right-clicking on the download button and selecting
    >"save target as...", downloading the file, and running from my hard drive.
    >But I have found absolutely no workaround when clicking on the download
    >button re-directs me to one of those .htm sites containing the boilerplate
    >disclaimer clauses that I must agree to first before I'm directed to the
    >download site.
    >
    >I have a lot of additional diagnostic work that I've performed without
    >success but I don't want to drive anyone crazy with this problem that has
    >obsessed me for so long.
    >
    >Ironically, if the problem is cause by a bug that is corrected by an
    >available download, then I may or may not be able to get that bug-fix.
    >[Actually, if I knew that were the case, then I would download any identified
    >software patch or bug-fix on my backup computer and send it to my main
    >computer as an e-mail attachment].
    >
    >Thanks very much again for taking the time to write.
    >
    >"Alan Edwards" wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know who mentioned McAfee, so I don't know what connection you
    >> are making there.
    >>
    >> Don't give up too quickly on my suggestion.
    >> Is there anything at all under the key below?
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
    >> Explorer\Plugins\Extension
    >>
    >> If so, export it and post it here for a second opinion or just delete
    >> it.
    >>
    >> ....Alan
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>
    >>
    >> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Robert H"
    >> <RobertH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I don't think that McAfee has anything to do with the problem as I'm having
    >> >the same problem and I've never used McAfee on my computer. Also, this is
    >> >definitely a cross-platform issue that may or may not have anything to do
    >> >with the operating system used because I'm using XP. I tried Alan Edwards
    >> >suggestion and it didn't stop that inferno icon from appearing whenever
    >> >trying to download software. Does anyone else out there have a suggestion to
    >> >solve this very common problem?
    >> >
    >> >ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    >> >
    >>
    >>
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Hi Rob

    I have Adobe Reader on all machines except this one.
    I am trying this as an alternative:
    PDF Reader-Foxit: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
    It is fast, spyware free and does the job but I have only used it
    twice. It does not seem to have page numbers when shown in the browser
    but if I save the .pdf, it has that feature. I hadn't noticed that
    before.


    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html


    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Robert H"
    <RobertH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Alan, you never cease to amaze me! I've been been building and using
    >computers for over 20 years and, consequently, my leaning curve can be pretty
    >flat at times. But today, thanks to you, that curve has been fairly steep for
    >my old bones. I did not know that everyone using the Adobe Reader didn't have
    >that ultra convenient page reference on the bottom (I'm using most recent
    >upgrade - that could be part of the difference). And yes, you deduced
    >correctly that I was referring to the 2 pages in the uninstall section. But
    >even there they made a mistake by supplying a dead weblink in the last
    >paragraph. An active link for instructions to completely uninstall Zone Alarm
    >Pro completely is:
    >http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646/CompleteUninstallNonNT.html
    >Nope, I never ever got an error message when booting even after I had
    >automatically uninstalled Zone Alarm Pro over 6 six months earlier. And by
    >following the directions in the link I just posted, you wouldn't believe how
    >many remnants of the program I found all over my hard drive.
    >
    >Thanks again. You're my hero for the day.
    >
    >Rob
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows