multi-processor and core systems

MatTheMurdera

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
I was recently reading about ageia and their PPU, and i thought to myself: will everything be given its own seperate processor? The x-fi soundcard for audio, the ageia for physics, the ati/nvidia for graphics, an uncoming card for AI in games, and finally the system CPU could all be in a gaming rig by as early as 2007. I think it will, simply because parallel processing and specialization is better for perforance, as well as for software devolopers. Does anyone have any thought on this? Thanks.

xgas

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
First of all dude, some retail Robots now even uses Intel CPU chips, 2ndly, PPU gives interactive inviro, also means gameplay, it does not just give prosessing(e.g. blow down the whole plaze to get one guy.) Sound cards now give better sound quality and better performance when using surround sound mode. THEY ARE THERE TO ENHANCE and GIVE EXTRA FEATURES OR MORE POWER, NOT COMPLETELY REPLACE.

Note: The GPU Physics only gives Eye Candy visuals, no prosessing or off-loading most physics, but THE Agiea PhyX gives both visual eyecandy AND physics off-load to chip, great huh? Also means it gives gameplay.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Fugger was testing a PPU in an o/ced Conroe system and it was slower with the PPU in then just running on dual core.

MatTheMurdera

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
First of all dude, some retail Robots now even uses Intel CPU chips, 2ndly, PPU gives interactive inviro, also means gameplay, it does not just give prosessing(e.g. blow down the whole plaze to get one guy.) Sound cards now give better sound quality and better performance when using surround sound mode. THEY ARE THERE TO ENHANCE and GIVE EXTRA FEATURES OR MORE POWER, NOT COMPLETELY REPLACE.

Note: The GPU Physics only gives Eye Candy visuals, no prosessing or off-loading most physics, but THE Agiea PhyX gives both visual eyecandy AND physics off-load to chip, great huh? Also means it gives gameplay.

no....graphics card displays....the ageia just tells it where to display. and the ageia doesnt give interactive invironments, there were already there, it just speeds it up and allows it to do more. and i do understand sound cards enhance, but they can offload data processing too, which as i said GAMERS in high end stuff would use.

and I meant dual core CPUs give better performance for software developers. sorry if i wasnt clear. not sure what u meant by the robot thing.

TRENDING THREADS