Toggle switch

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 9, 2005 12:59:14 AM

Anyone have a good idea of how to create some kind of shortcut that would
make it easy to switch back and forth from 256 colors to 16 bit? I'm fixing
up an old computer for some folks for their kids to play games on. Lots of
the games require that you have your resolution set at 256 colors or they
won't even start. On the other hand, they have a lot of pictures on the
machine that really look sick in 256 colors. The kids are really too young
to try and teach the long way around. I can put an ATI display icon in the
tray, but it is just a longer way around to get to display settings. Even
if I could come up with a desktop icon that would open display settings
with the "settings" tab preselected would be better than nothing. This is
an old Compaq running Windows 98SE.

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

More about : toggle switch

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 1:59:09 AM

"Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> Anyone have a good idea of how to create some kind of shortcut that would
> make it easy to switch back and forth from 256 colors to 16 bit? I'm
fixing
> up an old computer for some folks for their kids to play games on. Lots of
> the games require that you have your resolution set at 256 colors or they
> won't even start. On the other hand, they have a lot of pictures on the
> machine that really look sick in 256 colors. The kids are really too young
> to try and teach the long way around. I can put an ATI display icon in the
> tray, but it is just a longer way around to get to display settings. Even
> if I could come up with a desktop icon that would open display settings
> with the "settings" tab preselected would be better than nothing. This is
> an old Compaq running Windows 98SE.

I've never tried this, so it may not work, but it won't hurt to try.

With the colors set to 256, save the WIN.INI file as WINLOW.INI

Change to the other setting, reboot if necessary,
and save the updated WIN.INI file as WINHIGH.INI

Now create 2 batch files.

Batch File #1 will overlay the current WIN.INI file with WINLOW.INI
and force a reboot.

Batch File #2 will overlay the current WIN.INI file with WINHIGH.INI
and force a reboot.

Create a desktop shortcut for "GAMES" and another for "PICTURES".

Obviously, the parents will have to watch for any other system changes
they may make which would cause WIN.INI to be changed,
because those changes will need to be reflected in
WINLOW.INI and WINHIGH.INI also somehow.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 2:29:56 AM

"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in

> "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
>> Anyone have a good idea of how to create some kind of shortcut that
>> would make it easy to switch back and forth from 256 colors to 16
>> bit? I'm
> fixing
>> up an old computer for some folks for their kids to play games on.
>> Lots of the games require that you have your resolution set at 256
>> colors or they won't even start. On the other hand, they have a lot
>> of pictures on the machine that really look sick in 256 colors. The
>> kids are really too young to try and teach the long way around. I can
>> put an ATI display icon in the tray, but it is just a longer way
>> around to get to display settings. Even if I could come up with a
>> desktop icon that would open display settings with the "settings" tab
>> preselected would be better than nothing. This is an old Compaq
>> running Windows 98SE.
>
> I've never tried this, so it may not work, but it won't hurt to try.
>
> With the colors set to 256, save the WIN.INI file as WINLOW.INI
>
> Change to the other setting, reboot if necessary,
> and save the updated WIN.INI file as WINHIGH.INI
>
> Now create 2 batch files.
>
> Batch File #1 will overlay the current WIN.INI file with WINLOW.INI
> and force a reboot.
>
> Batch File #2 will overlay the current WIN.INI file with WINHIGH.INI
> and force a reboot.
>
> Create a desktop shortcut for "GAMES" and another for "PICTURES".
>
> Obviously, the parents will have to watch for any other system changes
> they may make which would cause WIN.INI to be changed,
> because those changes will need to be reflected in
> WINLOW.INI and WINHIGH.INI also somehow.

OK... that sounds like fun. I'll give it a try and let you know how it
came out. This machine isn't requiring a reboot when I change resolutions
under Display Properties - Settings, although it does prompt you if you
want to apply the settings without restarting.
I'll have to bone up on my DOS a little... it's been a long time... :-)
I don't remember if it's:
echo y | copy winlow.ini win.ini or
copy winlow.ini win.ini /y
Better yet put "set copycmd=/y" in autoexec.bat

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
May 9, 2005 2:53:09 AM

> "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in
>

>> "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
>>> Anyone have a good idea of how to create some kind of shortcut that
>>> would make it easy to switch back and forth from 256 colors to 16
>>> bit? I'm
>> fixing
>>> up an old computer for some folks for their kids to play games on.
>>> Lots of the games require that you have your resolution set at 256
>>> colors or they won't even start. On the other hand, they have a lot
>>> of pictures on the machine that really look sick in 256 colors. The
>>> kids are really too young to try and teach the long way around. I
>>> can put an ATI display icon in the tray, but it is just a longer way
>>> around to get to display settings. Even if I could come up with a
>>> desktop icon that would open display settings with the "settings"
>>> tab preselected would be better than nothing. This is an old Compaq
>>> running Windows 98SE.
>>
>> I've never tried this, so it may not work, but it won't hurt to try.
>>
>> With the colors set to 256, save the WIN.INI file as WINLOW.INI
>>
>> Change to the other setting, reboot if necessary,
>> and save the updated WIN.INI file as WINHIGH.INI
>>
>> Now create 2 batch files.
>>
>> Batch File #1 will overlay the current WIN.INI file with WINLOW.INI
>> and force a reboot.
>>
>> Batch File #2 will overlay the current WIN.INI file with WINHIGH.INI
>> and force a reboot.
>>
>> Create a desktop shortcut for "GAMES" and another for "PICTURES".
>>
>> Obviously, the parents will have to watch for any other system
>> changes they may make which would cause WIN.INI to be changed,
>> because those changes will need to be reflected in
>> WINLOW.INI and WINHIGH.INI also somehow.
>
> OK... that sounds like fun. I'll give it a try and let you know how it
> came out. This machine isn't requiring a reboot when I change
> resolutions under Display Properties - Settings, although it does
> prompt you if you want to apply the settings without restarting.

Well, those settings must be stored somewhere else. win.ini, winlow.ini,
and winhigh.ini are all identical and I really don't see any reference to
video setting in there anyway. Ditto for system.ini and control.ini.
Maybe it's in the registry somewhere. Maybe I'll just have to lead those
kids (6 yr old twins) through how to do it till they learn. They'll
probably pick it up quicker than their folks would... :-)
Anyway, thanks for the idea. It was fun trying. Maybe I'll play with it
some more tomorrow.

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 1:05:42 PM

Menno Hershberger wrote:

> Even if I
> could come up with a desktop icon that would open display settings
> with the "settings" tab preselected would be better than nothing.
> This is an old Compaq running Windows 98SE.

Macro recorder? Easy enough to record the mouse clicks for 16 bit
color, another for 256 colors. The problem will be in finding a
recorder with an interface simple enough for your friend to just click
the desired macro. If The program should happen to store each recording
in a separate file it would be simple to make a shortcut to each file...

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
May 9, 2005 6:11:21 PM

Am I missing something?
What is wrong with the one already available?
(Display-Settings-Advanced-Show settings icon on the taskbar)

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, Menno Hershberger
<mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote:

>Anyone have a good idea of how to create some kind of shortcut that would
>make it easy to switch back and forth from 256 colors to 16 bit? I'm fixing
>up an old computer for some folks for their kids to play games on. Lots of
>the games require that you have your resolution set at 256 colors or they
>won't even start. On the other hand, they have a lot of pictures on the
>machine that really look sick in 256 colors. The kids are really too young
>to try and teach the long way around. I can put an ATI display icon in the
>tray, but it is just a longer way around to get to display settings. Even
>if I could come up with a desktop icon that would open display settings
>with the "settings" tab preselected would be better than nothing. This is
>an old Compaq running Windows 98SE.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 6:11:22 PM

All it yields (as I said below) is a longer way around to display
settings. See http://www.mewnlite.com/ati-icon.gif
I think I know what you're talking about though. On some machines, that
icon will bring up a list of resolutions and you can just click on the
one you want it it changes it on the spot. Unfortunately, as you can see,
that's not what comes up on this one.

Alan Edwards <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 7:55:56 PM

OK. I assumed you would see the same as I do, as every Win98 or Win ME
(with different video cards) computer I have shows the standard
Display icon on the taskbar and a right-click gives me 19 variations
to choose from.

If you don't have that option then create a shortcut on the desktop or
wherever suits you.
The command line should be:

control desk.cpl,,3

That should open display settings with the Settings tab selected.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, Menno Hershberger
<mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote:

>All it yields (as I said below) is a longer way around to display
>settings. See http://www.mewnlite.com/ati-icon.gif
>I think I know what you're talking about though. On some machines, that
>icon will bring up a list of resolutions and you can just click on the
>one you want it it changes it on the spot. Unfortunately, as you can see,
>that's not what comes up on this one.
>

>Alan Edwards <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in
>
>> Am I missing something?
>> What is wrong with the one already available?
>> (Display-Settings-Advanced-Show settings icon on the taskbar)
>>
>> ...Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>
>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, Menno Hershberger
>><mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone have a good idea of how to create some kind of shortcut that
>>>would make it easy to switch back and forth from 256 colors to 16 bit?
>>>I'm fixing up an old computer for some folks for their kids to play
>>>games on. Lots of the games require that you have your resolution set
>>>at 256 colors or they won't even start. On the other hand, they have a
>>>lot of pictures on the machine that really look sick in 256 colors.
>>>The kids are really too young to try and teach the long way around. I
>>>can put an ATI display icon in the tray, but it is just a longer way
>>>around to get to display settings. Even if I could come up with a
>>>desktop icon that would open display settings with the "settings" tab
>>>preselected would be better than nothing. This is an old Compaq
>>>running Windows 98SE.

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 7:55:57 PM

> control desk.cpl,,3

That's slick. Thank you very much!

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 7:55:58 PM

Menno,
There *is* a way to turn off and remove that ATi icon from the tray altogether, and
then show the standard display icon that Alan was originally referring to. I don't
have an ATi card installed on anything right now to find the method for you, but I
have done it in the past on other machines.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Alan Edwards <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in
>
> > control desk.cpl,,3
>
> That's slick. Thank you very much!
>
> --
> --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 8:56:59 PM

create a user profile for games and set the video res to 256 colors
logon play games
logoff
logon other name look pictures
could even set default logon to games user with tweakuii, so that kids dont
even know

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
"Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> Anyone have a good idea of how to create some kind of shortcut that would
> make it easy to switch back and forth from 256 colors to 16 bit? I'm
fixing
> up an old computer for some folks for their kids to play games on. Lots of
> the games require that you have your resolution set at 256 colors or they
> won't even start. On the other hand, they have a lot of pictures on the
> machine that really look sick in 256 colors. The kids are really too young
> to try and teach the long way around. I can put an ATI display icon in the
> tray, but it is just a longer way around to get to display settings. Even
> if I could come up with a desktop icon that would open display settings
> with the "settings" tab preselected would be better than nothing. This is
> an old Compaq running Windows 98SE.
>
> --
> --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 8:58:31 PM

properties
settings
ATI displays
[] show settings icon on task bar
then you can turn on the default windows display icon

--

> Menno,
> There *is* a way to turn off and remove that ATi icon from the tray
altogether, and
> then show the standard display icon that Alan was originally referring to.
I don't
> have an ATi card installed on anything right now to find the method for
you, but I
> have done it in the past on other machines.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>
> "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> > Alan Edwards <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in
> >
> > > control desk.cpl,,3
> >
> > That's slick. Thank you very much!
> >
> > --
> > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 12:37:08 AM

Thanks Bob....that sounds like what remember.
--

!