AMD Dual/Single Whatever?

I'm just about to embarj on my 3 yearly sell my soul to Mr Visa upgrade and
as always, looiking to future proof (LOL), so I'm happy to pay the premium.
I run mainly MSWord, broadband and the only real games I play are flight
sims (FS9, BoB and CFS3). I want to stick with AMD, but am caught between
dual and single core - I'm either going to go for the Athlon 64 FX-57 or the
64x2 4800 1MB. There's nary a penny between them, but I haven't a clue
which to go for...any ideas, ecperiences welcome....

Sean

Sean,
I'm in a similar boat, but I'm postponing my purchase becaus you won't
see much improvement in the FS's at this time because neither was
written to make use of 64bit or dual-processor technology.
Not even the current operating system can use these features.
A small improvement could possibly be realized by faster video, disk
and memory accesses.

I'd wait to see what the next generation FS will support - dual core,
64bit or both.

-=tom=-

"Sean McCarney" <sean.mccarney@btinternet.com> wrote:

>I'm just about to embarj on my 3 yearly sell my soul to Mr Visa upgrade and
>as always, looiking to future proof (LOL), so I'm happy to pay the premium.
>I run mainly MSWord, broadband and the only real games I play are flight
>sims (FS9, BoB and CFS3). I want to stick with AMD, but am caught between
>dual and single core - I'm either going to go for the Athlon 64 FX-57 or the
>64x2 4800 1MB. There's nary a penny between them, but I haven't a clue
>which to go for...any ideas, ecperiences welcome....
>
>Sean

Hi,

My suggestion,

Buy a Motherboard with dual core Ready,
install an affordable single core high speed amd processor,
wait until the price drop and/or lagging of the PC then go
for the dual core and upgrade by just changing the CPU.

Same thing for the more costly Dual CPU motherboard , buy one or two
single-core cpu to start,
but you must have window XP Pro for the dual CPU,
After the upgrade to dual cpu dual core you will have 4 cpu.

Another thing nice to have it is a motherboard SLI or Crossfire Ready,
it leave room for more upgrade by adding a second video card.

With all these, your PC will have a longer life span.

The best buy and more costly is the TYAN S2895,
dual amd cpu ready, dual core ready, SLI ready.

I am personnely waiting to buy a motherboard
simular the TYAN S2895 but with the Crossfire Ready
instead of the SLI ready.

If the Crossfire Ready, dual amd cpu, and dual core ready cpu will be
available soon,
if not, i will buy the Tyan S2895.

PC

news: dc34r0$1m6$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

"Sean McCarney" <sean.mccarney@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I'm just about to embarj on my 3 yearly sell my soul to Mr Visa upgrade
> and as always, looiking to future proof (LOL), so I'm happy to pay the
> premium. I run mainly MSWord, broadband and the only real games I play
> are flight sims (FS9, BoB and CFS3). I want to stick with AMD, but am
> caught between dual and single core - I'm either going to go for the
> Athlon 64 FX-57 or the 64x2 4800 1MB. There's nary a penny between them,
> but I haven't a clue which to go for...any ideas, ecperiences welcome....
>
> Sean
True that fs9 does not as such support 64bit and 2cores as such. But think
of this:
If FS hogs the first core - and it will use cpu to 99% - then your system -
ie all other apps running willl still have lots of free ressources on the
second core. That is a huge benefit in multiuser environments like terminal
server and I am sure it will be even on a singler user desktop when you have
a cpu hog like FS.
But this is of course only beneficial if you actually fx. browse the net or
read email while simming. If not - the 2nd core is perhaps not the best
investment.

So the question is 'how much better is the Athlon 64 FX-57 than the 64x2
4800 1MB - does the 'increased cost per core' (whatever!) give a
commensurate improvement in performance?

Sean

"Nicolaj C." <fjernmigspamnic@events.dk> wrote in message
> "Sean McCarney" <sean.mccarney@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> I'm just about to embarj on my 3 yearly sell my soul to Mr Visa upgrade
>> and as always, looiking to future proof (LOL), so I'm happy to pay the
>> premium. I run mainly MSWord, broadband and the only real games I play
>> are flight sims (FS9, BoB and CFS3). I want to stick with AMD, but am
>> caught between dual and single core - I'm either going to go for the
>> Athlon 64 FX-57 or the 64x2 4800 1MB. There's nary a penny between them,
>> but I haven't a clue which to go for...any ideas, ecperiences welcome....
>>
>> Sean
> True that fs9 does not as such support 64bit and 2cores as such. But think
> of this:
> If FS hogs the first core - and it will use cpu to 99% - then your
> system - ie all other apps running willl still have lots of free
> ressources on the second core. That is a huge benefit in multiuser
> environments like terminal server and I am sure it will be even on a
> singler user desktop when you have a cpu hog like FS.
> But this is of course only beneficial if you actually fx. browse the net
> or read email while simming. If not - the 2nd core is perhaps not the best
> investment.

> I'm either going to go for the Athlon 64 FX-57 or the 64x2 4800 1MB.
> There's nary a penny between them, but I haven't a clue which to go
> for...any ideas, ecperiences welcome....

If I had that kind of money I'd get the dual core. Definitely.
But.
If I wanted the performance of an FX57 I would buy a $323 athlon 64 3700
2.2GHz (11x200) San Diego core cpu and overclock it to 2.8Ghz (10x280 or
11x255) which is the same speed as the fx57 (actually is a tiny bit faster
because you are overclocking the htt link. Most people can get their San
Diego cores up to 2.8 or 2.9 on air cooling and even higher with water
cooling. Sure you could just get the fx57 but it really is the same chip as
the 3700 san Diego which is only a third of the price. with the money you
save you can get some better quality g.skill ram and better motherboard AND
a better graphics card. I'm not kidding!