SHDOCLC.DLL/dnserror.htm -- Can't Use IE

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

Hello,
I'm posting this from another computer. My main computer uses Windows 98. I
can not use that computer to access the internet anymore. Here's what
happened and what I've tried to do to remedy the situation:
I was downloading a program onto my Win98 computer and chose to overwrite
some files which I did not understand (dumb). I started having problems (not
the shdoclc problem), so I ran a free registry repair program (also dumb
since I don't understand this stuff very well). I *think* that's when I
started getting the above error. SO ... I backed up all my files and ran my
HP Pavilion System Recovery disk (the only disks I have). I reformatted and
recovered all programs. The disk seemed to have some problems -- i.e. I
needed to hit "retry" several times and "abort" one time to get it to run
and finish its task. But the recovery seemed to be complete. But then when I
tried to connect, I got the same message. So I tried to take a copy of the
shdoclc file from another computer and replace that file on my damaged Win98
computer, but I couldn't replace it because "windows [was] using the
specified file".
I have no idea where to go from here. Should I buy a Win98 disk? Is there
any way to reroute around this problem?
Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated.
Thanks,
Fred
4 answers Last reply
More about shdoclc dnserror
  1. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    1. LSP-Fix should solve your connection problem:
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    2. Now, find the hijackware that caused the problem.

    Check for Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Fred Mann wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I'm posting this from another computer. My main computer uses Windows 98.
    > can not use that computer to access the internet anymore. Here's what
    > happened and what I've tried to do to remedy the situation:
    > I was downloading a program onto my Win98 computer and chose to overwrite
    > some files which I did not understand (dumb). I started having problems
    > (not
    > the shdoclc problem), so I ran a free registry repair program (also dumb
    > since I don't understand this stuff very well). I *think* that's when I
    > started getting the above error. SO ... I backed up all my files and ran
    > my
    > HP Pavilion System Recovery disk (the only disks I have). I reformatted
    > and
    > recovered all programs. The disk seemed to have some problems -- i.e. I
    > needed to hit "retry" several times and "abort" one time to get it to run
    > and finish its task. But the recovery seemed to be complete. But then when
    > tried to connect, I got the same message. So I tried to take a copy of the
    > shdoclc file from another computer and replace that file on my damaged
    > Win98
    > computer, but I couldn't replace it because "windows [was] using the
    > specified file".
    > I have no idea where to go from here. Should I buy a Win98 disk? Is there
    > any way to reroute around this problem?
    > Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated.
    > Thanks,
    > Fred
  2. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    On Mon, 9 May 2005 13:41:05 -0400 If I have seen farther it is because
    I have stood on the shoulder of giants "Fred Mann"
    <fredmann@bellsouth.net> wrote :

    >Hello,
    >I'm posting this from another computer. My main computer uses Windows 98. I
    >can not use that computer to access the internet anymore. Here's what
    >happened and what I've tried to do to remedy the situation:
    >I was downloading a program onto my Win98 computer and chose to overwrite
    >some files which I did not understand (dumb). I started having problems (not
    >the shdoclc problem), so I ran a free registry repair program (also dumb
    >since I don't understand this stuff very well). I *think* that's when I
    >started getting the above error. SO ... I backed up all my files and ran my
    >HP Pavilion System Recovery disk (the only disks I have). I reformatted and
    >recovered all programs. The disk seemed to have some problems -- i.e. I
    >needed to hit "retry" several times and "abort" one time to get it to run
    >and finish its task. But the recovery seemed to be complete. But then when I
    >tried to connect, I got the same message. So I tried to take a copy of the
    >shdoclc file from another computer and replace that file on my damaged Win98
    >computer, but I couldn't replace it because "windows [was] using the
    >specified file".
    >I have no idea where to go from here. Should I buy a Win98 disk? Is there
    >any way to reroute around this problem?
    >Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated.
    >Thanks,
    >Fred

    Several things you can do.
    1:Add Remove Programs list and go to remove MS Internet Explorer.When
    you start the process it will give you the option to repair if you
    updated IE.Take it and re-boot and see how you go.

    2::Repair over-install as per,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/repair.html

    3:Install/Re-install dun 1.4 update,
    http://tinyurl.com/dl6o

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    remove obvious to reply

    "Shep©" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 9 May 2005 13:41:05 -0400 If I have seen farther it is because
    > I have stood on the shoulder of giants "Fred Mann"
    > <fredmann@bellsouth.net> wrote :
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>I'm posting this from another computer. My main computer uses Windows 98.
    >>can not use that computer to access the internet anymore. Here's what
    >>happened and what I've tried to do to remedy the situation:
    >>I was downloading a program onto my Win98 computer and chose to overwrite
    >>some files which I did not understand (dumb). I started having problems
    >>(not
    >>the shdoclc problem), so I ran a free registry repair program (also dumb
    >>since I don't understand this stuff very well). I *think* that's when I
    >>started getting the above error. SO ... I backed up all my files and ran
    >>my
    >>HP Pavilion System Recovery disk (the only disks I have). I reformatted
    >>and
    >>recovered all programs. The disk seemed to have some problems -- i.e. I
    >>needed to hit "retry" several times and "abort" one time to get it to run
    >>and finish its task. But the recovery seemed to be complete. But then when
    >>tried to connect, I got the same message. So I tried to take a copy of the
    >>shdoclc file from another computer and replace that file on my damaged
    >>Win98
    >>computer, but I couldn't replace it because "windows [was] using the
    >>specified file".
    >>I have no idea where to go from here. Should I buy a Win98 disk? Is there
    >>any way to reroute around this problem?
    >>Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated.
    >>Thanks,
    >>Fred
    >>

    > Several things you can do.
    > 1:Add Remove Programs list and go to remove MS Internet Explorer.When
    > you start the process it will give you the option to repair if you
    > updated IE.Take it and re-boot and see how you go.
    >
    > 2::Repair over-install as per,
    > http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/repair.html
    >
    > 3:Install/Re-install dun 1.4 update,
    > http://tinyurl.com/dl6o
    >
    > HTH :)
    >

    > --
    > Free Windows/PC help,
    > remove obvious to reply
    > email pds@OBVIOUSpartybombe.de
    > Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :O)
    > http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

    Hi Shep,
    Thanks for the recommendations, but IE does not show up under "Add/Remove
    Programs". I forgot to mention that I also tried installing IE5 from an
    older disk that I have. That did not work either. So it doesn't appear that
    IE is the problem.
    Also, I don't have a Win98 disk, just a System Recovery disk designed
    exclusively for my model of HP Pavilion.
    PLUS ... I don't have internet access on that computer, so I'm sure if I can
    follow these recommendations.
    But I did follow option 3, and that didn't work. I was able to instal the
    dun update, but I still got the same message after I restarted my computer.
    Any other ideas anyone?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    > On Mon, 9 May 2005 14:31:36 -0400 If I have seen farther it is because
    > I have stood on the shoulder of giants "Fred Mann"
    > <fredmann@bellsouth.net> wrote :
    >

    >>"Shep©" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> On Mon, 9 May 2005 13:41:05 -0400 If I have seen farther it is because
    >>> I have stood on the shoulder of giants "Fred Mann"

    >>> Several things you can do.
    >>> 1:Add Remove Programs list and go to remove MS Internet Explorer.When
    >>> you start the process it will give you the option to repair if you
    >>> updated IE.Take it and re-boot and see how you go.
    >>>
    >>> 2::Repair over-install as per,
    >>> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/repair.html
    >>>
    >>> 3:Install/Re-install dun 1.4 update,
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/dl6o
    >>>
    >>> HTH :)
    >>>

    >>Hi Shep,
    >>Thanks for the recommendations, but IE does not show up under "Add/Remove
    >>Programs". I forgot to mention that I also tried installing IE5 from an
    >>older disk that I have. That did not work either. So it doesn't appear
    >>that
    >>IE is the problem.
    >>Also, I don't have a Win98 disk, just a System Recovery disk designed
    >>exclusively for my model of HP Pavilion.
    >>PLUS ... I don't have internet access on that computer, so I'm sure if I
    >>can
    >>follow these recommendations.
    >>But I did follow option 3, and that didn't work. I was able to instal the
    >>dun update, but I still got the same message after I restarted my
    >>computer.
    >>Any other ideas anyone?
    >>

    > Start/run and type msinfo32 and press OK/Tools and see if the Internet
    > repair option is there?
    >
    > Also have you tried making a new DUN connection?
    >

    > --
    > Free Windows/PC help,
    > remove obvious to reply
    > email pds@OBVIOUSpartybombe.de
    > Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :O)
    > http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

    msinfo32 doesn't contain an internet repair option on this computer.
    I have not tried making a DUN connection. I'm not sure how to do that.
    That's dial-up, right? What would that do?

Internet Explorer Computers Windows