Java class packages

Two related questions here. Hope they are not OT

Last night I deleted all those java class packages and all the other files
that are in my C:\Windows\Java\Packages folder. I also deleted all the
associated registry entries. Is this okay or did I do a bad thing? (I have
GoBack, so I can restore everything the way it was.) So far, no problem do
anything I normally do. What is all this stuff and do I really need it?

Also, invariably, files that AVG antivirus identifies as trojans or viruses
end up in my Windows\.jpi_cache/jar folder. AVG doesn't have a lot of
details - It identifies these are viruses that exploit a vulnerability in IE
or Java that changes my home page. (I'm sure I've downloaded a critical
Windows Update that fixes the vulnerability.) But what are these things and
where to they come from. AVG doesn't detect them on the way in (every AVG
module is active) but only on a scan. Are they really malicious? Last night
I had five (one identified as a trojan, four as virus - "java verify" or
something like that). Anyone know? Every once in a while I stumble on a web
site that asks me if I want to reset my home page to that site (I say "No"
and there's never any problem). Could these be coming from those sites?

Thanks
--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

From: "Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid>

| Two related questions here. Hope they are not OT
|
| Last night I deleted all those java class packages and all the other files
| that are in my C:\Windows\Java\Packages folder. I also deleted all the
| associated registry entries. Is this okay or did I do a bad thing? (I have
| GoBack, so I can restore everything the way it was.) So far, no problem do
| anything I normally do. What is all this stuff and do I really need it?
|
| Also, invariably, files that AVG antivirus identifies as trojans or viruses
| end up in my Windows\.jpi_cache/jar folder. AVG doesn't have a lot of
| details - It identifies these are viruses that exploit a vulnerability in IE
| or Java that changes my home page. (I'm sure I've downloaded a critical
| Windows Update that fixes the vulnerability.) But what are these things and
| where to they come from. AVG doesn't detect them on the way in (every AVG
| module is active) but only on a scan. Are they really malicious? Last night
| I had five (one identified as a trojan, four as virus - "java verify" or
| something like that). Anyone know? Every once in a while I stumble on a web
| site that asks me if I want to reset my home page to that site (I say "No"
| and there's never any problem). Could these be coming from those sites?
|
| Thanks
| --
| Regards,
| Anthony Giorgianni
|
| The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
| to the newsgroup.

I can't answer the first part but here's how to deal with Java Script infectors.

1) Dump the contents of your IE cache -
Start --> settings --> control panel --> Internet options --> delete files

2) Dump the contents of the Mozilla FireFox Cache { if you use FireFox }
Tools --> Options --> Privacy --> Cache --> Clear

3) Dump the contents of your Sun Java cache -
Start --> settings --> control panel --> Java applet --> cache --> clear
or
Start --> settings --> control panel --> Java applet --> general --> settings -->
delete files

4) Download the TrendMicro Sysclean Front End

Download the utility SYSCLEAN_FE at the following URL --
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
SYSCLEAN_FE automates the download and execution process of the Trend Sysclean Package.
Direct URL --
http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/Sysclean_FE.exe

5) Execute; SYSCLEAN_FE.EXE
Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; c:\sysclean\SYSCLEAN_FE.BAT
{ or Double-click on 'SYSCLEAN_FE Link' in c:\sysclean }
when you get to the menu exit the utility so you can boot into Safe Mode.

6) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible.

7) Execute; c:\sysclean\sysclean.com
Let SYCLEAN.COM scan your computer.

8) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform
Execute; c:\sysclean\SYSCLEAN_FE.BAT
{ or Double-click on 'SYSCLEAN_FE Link' in c:\sysclean }
This time, choose to execute SYSCLEAN.COM from the menu.

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

"Anthony Giorgianni"
<pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid> wrote:

>Two related questions here. Hope they are not OT
>
>Last night I deleted all those java class packages and all the other files
>that are in my C:\Windows\Java\Packages folder. I also deleted all the
>associated registry entries. Is this okay or did I do a bad thing? (I have
>GoBack, so I can restore everything the way it was.) So far, no problem do
>anything I normally do. What is all this stuff and do I really need it?

If you never use a page that includes a Java applet, then you'll never
notice anything. But if you do go to a Java page, it won't work. I'd
bring all that Java stuff back immediately.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Anthony Giorgianni wrote:
> Last night I deleted all those java class packages and all the other files
> that are in my C:\Windows\Java\Packages folder. I also deleted all the
> associated registry entries. Is this okay or did I do a bad thing? (I have
> GoBack, so I can restore everything the way it was.) So far, no problem do
> anything I normally do. What is all this stuff and do I really need it?

Why did you do this?

> Also, invariably, files that AVG antivirus identifies as trojans or
> viruses
> end up in my Windows\.jpi_cache/jar folder. AVG doesn't have a lot of
> details - It identifies these are viruses that exploit a vulnerability in
> IE
> or Java that changes my home page. (I'm sure I've downloaded a critical
> Windows Update that fixes the vulnerability.)
<snip>

1. Check in at Windows Update.

2. See David Lippman's reply.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

I deleted this stuff because a lot of it had old dates. I hate running java
anything. Also, since I was getting virus hits on the other folder, I wasn't
sure where all these classes came from. It was tons of MBs. Actually, I
moved it all to "recycle" to see if anything would be affected, but I forgot
and emptied my recycle been while doing a cleanup with Easy Cleaner.

I'll out it all back now. But I'm still wondering if I need all this stuff.
What do these java class things do?

--

> Anthony Giorgianni wrote:
> > Last night I deleted all those java class packages and all the other
files
> > that are in my C:\Windows\Java\Packages folder. I also deleted all the
> > associated registry entries. Is this okay or did I do a bad thing? (I
have
> > GoBack, so I can restore everything the way it was.) So far, no problem
do
> > anything I normally do. What is all this stuff and do I really need it?
>
> Why did you do this?
>
> > Also, invariably, files that AVG antivirus identifies as trojans or
> > viruses
> > end up in my Windows\.jpi_cache/jar folder. AVG doesn't have a lot of
> > details - It identifies these are viruses that exploit a vulnerability
in
> > IE
> > or Java that changes my home page. (I'm sure I've downloaded a critical
> > Windows Update that fixes the vulnerability.)
> <snip>
>
> 1. Check in at Windows Update.
>
> 2. See David Lippman's reply.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Oh, I meant to add that I go to Windows update all the time. I don't have
any more critical updates available.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.
> Anthony Giorgianni wrote:
> > Last night I deleted all those java class packages and all the other
files
> > that are in my C:\Windows\Java\Packages folder. I also deleted all the
> > associated registry entries. Is this okay or did I do a bad thing? (I
have
> > GoBack, so I can restore everything the way it was.) So far, no problem
do
> > anything I normally do. What is all this stuff and do I really need it?
>
> Why did you do this?
>
> > Also, invariably, files that AVG antivirus identifies as trojans or
> > viruses
> > end up in my Windows\.jpi_cache/jar folder. AVG doesn't have a lot of
> > details - It identifies these are viruses that exploit a vulnerability
in
> > IE
> > or Java that changes my home page. (I'm sure I've downloaded a critical
> > Windows Update that fixes the vulnerability.)
> <snip>
>
> 1. Check in at Windows Update.
>
> 2. See David Lippman's reply.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Hello David

I started that process but unfortunately I'm on dialup, and the combined
downloads are over 10 MB, which would take me until I'm dead.

Neither AVG or Ad-Aware is showing anything on my machine. So I'm assuming
that these files (all zipped by the way) were sent to me but that nothing
actually was used or installed. (Deleting the jpl cache stuff per your
instructions got rid of the malicious files). Is there any reason to believe
there is bad stuff on my machine the either AVG or Ad-Aware is not finding?
Downloading that SYSCLEAN stuff really is impractical given my online speed.
Plus I believe I have long ago downloaded stuff from Windows Update to
prevent those files from doing anything anyway.

Thanks.

--

> From: "Anthony Giorgianni"
<pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid>

> I can't answer the first part but here's how to deal with Java Script
infectors.

> 1) Dump the contents of your IE cache -
> Start --> settings --> control panel --> Internet options -->
delete files

> 2) Dump the contents of the Mozilla FireFox Cache { if you use
FireFox }
> Tools --> Options --> Privacy --> Cache --> Clear
>
> 3) Dump the contents of your Sun Java cache -
> Start --> settings --> control panel --> Java applet --> cache -->
clear
> or
> Start --> settings --> control panel --> Java applet -->
general --> settings -->
> delete files
>
> 4) Download the TrendMicro Sysclean Front End
>
> Download the utility SYSCLEAN_FE at the following URL --
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
> SYSCLEAN_FE automates the download and execution process of the Trend
Sysclean Package.
> Direct URL --
> http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/Sysclean_FE.exe
>
> 5) Execute; SYSCLEAN_FE.EXE
> Choose; Unzip
> Choose; Close
>

> Execute; c:\sysclean\SYSCLEAN_FE.BAT
> { or Double-click on 'SYSCLEAN_FE Link' in c:\sysclean }
> when you get to the menu exit the utility so you can boot into
Safe Mode.

> 6) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as
possible.

> 7) Execute; c:\sysclean\sysclean.com
> Let SYCLEAN.COM scan your computer.
>
> 8) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform
> Execute; c:\sysclean\SYSCLEAN_FE.BAT
> { or Double-click on 'SYSCLEAN_FE Link' in c:\sysclean }
> This time, choose to execute SYSCLEAN.COM from the menu.
>

> * * * Please report back your results * * *
>

> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

I restored using GoBack and deleted the jpl stuff using David's method. Now
I have 22 MB of zipped files (and a folder with about 12 .dat files) in my
classes folder.

Thanks.

From: "Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid>

| Hello David
|
| I started that process but unfortunately I'm on dialup, and the combined
| downloads are over 10 MB, which would take me until I'm dead.
|
| Neither AVG or Ad-Aware is showing anything on my machine. So I'm assuming
| that these files (all zipped by the way) were sent to me but that nothing
| actually was used or installed. (Deleting the jpl cache stuff per your
| instructions got rid of the malicious files). Is there any reason to believe
| there is bad stuff on my machine the either AVG or Ad-Aware is not finding?
| Downloading that SYSCLEAN stuff really is impractical given my online speed.
| Plus I believe I have long ago downloaded stuff from Windows Update to
| prevent those files from doing anything anyway.
|
| Thanks.
|
| --
| Regards,
| Anthony Giorgianni

That's your decision. But... AVG has misssed *many* infectors so the fact that it doesn't
now doesn't mean much and Ad-aware SE is for non-viral malware and Sysclean is for viral
malware (Trojans included) so that doesn't mean much either. Using Sysclean can fings
things both AVG missed and Ad-aware would never find in the first place.

As for the Critical Updates. That just means that Exploit code won't take advantage known
vulnerabilities that have been patched. However, you could have been infected prior to
being patached and AVG signature were released.

Good luck !

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Thanks David

I hope to be getting cable internet soon and will try Sysclean again then.

Thanks.

--

"

wrote in message news:%23dbKqOOVFHA.2540@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> I started that process but unfortunately I'm on dialup, and the combined
> downloads are over 10 MB, which would take me until I'm dead.

At 56 Mb it should not take more than an hour or so.
Is your phone line so unreliable it disconnects sooner?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

You mean 56k? I don't get a connection speed more than 44 and it's chancy
whether it would stay on long enough, which is why I'm considering switching
to cable. Also, I really doubt my machine is infected with anything. These
files seem to creep in one at a time from some web site, which is why they
end up in the .jpl cache. They are contained in zip files. I'm going to
monitor it and see if I can narrow it down. None has been successful in
actually changing my home page.

From: "Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid>

| You mean 56k? I don't get a connection speed more than 44 and it's chancy
| whether it would stay on long enough, which is why I'm considering switching
| to cable. Also, I really doubt my machine is infected with anything. These
| files seem to creep in one at a time from some web site, which is why they
| end up in the .jpl cache. They are contained in zip files. I'm going to
| monitor it and see if I can narrow it down. None has been successful in
| actually changing my home page.
|
| --
| Regards,
| Anthony Giorgianni

They are .CLASS files stored in Java Jars (ZIP files). That's why you have to dump the
caches.
Anti virus software can extract a file from an archive file (ZIP, CABB, etc) clean or delete
the file and repackage the archive file.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

I am on dial-up, and connect mostly at only 28800bps, and I have downloaded Sysclean
and its signature file many times, along with a number of other apps that are 10 to
20MB downloads. I am still alive, and it really does not take all that long.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid> wrote in
message news:%23iTMNoOVFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Thanks David
>
> I hope to be getting cable internet soon and will try Sysclean again then.
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Anthony Giorgianni
>
> The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
> to the newsgroup.
> "

> They are .CLASS files stored in Java Jars (ZIP files). That's why you
have to dump the
> caches.
> Anti virus software can extract a file from an archive file (ZIP, CABB,
etc) clean or delete
> the file and repackage the archive file.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Thanks David

Is it correct that the file is uploaded from a web site, or is your advice
suggesting that the zip file is uploaded by another program - trajan etc. -
on my machine. In other words, does dumping the cache itself eliminate the
problem? A;sp. What is a CLASS file? And yes, AVG is detecting the
problematic files within one or more zip files.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

lee

That particular folder and files that you deleted were part of your
MSJava installation and they are supposed to be left alone. I would
download update 816093 (5 meg) from the Catalog site and reapply it
just to be sure your MSJava is working right. You also appear to have
Sun Java installed and you can switch between the two in Internet
Options|Advanced tab|Java (Sun) checkbox. Uninstall Sun Java from the
Add/Remove Programs applet before upgrading to a higer version of same.
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/
http://www.javatester.org/

Unfortunately, AVG fires off an alert on Byte Verify files and that
misleading report makes people believe that they've been infected when
Sun Java already caught the trojan and properly quarantined it. All
you need to in this case is delete your Temporary Internet Files from
the Internet Options box. Norton, AVG and I'm sure others, will also
fire off an alert on Sun Java's files as containing the Byte Verify
exploit when they are actually safe.

From: "Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid>

| Thanks David
|
| Is it correct that the file is uploaded from a web site, or is your advice
| suggesting that the zip file is uploaded by another program - trajan etc. -
| on my machine. In other words, does dumping the cache itself eliminate the
| problem? A;sp. What is a CLASS file? And yes, AVG is detecting the
| problematic files within one or more zip files.
|
| --
| Regards,
| Anthony Giorgianni
|
| The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
| to the newsgroup.

First ignore the Troll Lee. Do NOT remove Sun Java.

By going to some sites certain Java Script infectors will be installed. Usually its the
Java Jars. Dumping the cache eliminates the Java jars and any Jasave Script and/or applet
infectors they have in them. However, it will not correct and other infectors they in turn
may have downloaded and thus the scan of the platform.

BTW: Java Script infectors can infect MS Java as much as Sun Java. The effects are
slightly different but sisnce Microsoft was sued by Sun for misusing their license to Java,
Sun Java is the way to go, not Microsoft. Microsoft will soon loose all rights to MS Java
die to their loosing the law suit.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Microsoft has announced that they will cease supporting JAVA and stop
issuing security patchs for it in 2007.
Users should seriously consider migrating to Sun Java Run Time Environment,
where the current Win9X version is 1.5.0_02.
The programmatic update tool is available under Help, after installing
version 1.4.2_08:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

N.B. Each version is a 15-20 MB download.
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> From: "Anthony Giorgianni"
<pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid>

> | Thanks David
> |
> | Is it correct that the file is uploaded from a web site, or is your
advice
> | suggesting that the zip file is uploaded by another program - trajan
etc. -
> | on my machine. In other words, does dumping the cache itself eliminate
the
> | problem? A;sp. What is a CLASS file? And yes, AVG is detecting the
> | problematic files within one or more zip files.
> |
> | --
> | Regards,
> | Anthony Giorgianni
> |
> | The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting
back
> | to the newsgroup.
> |

> First ignore the Troll, Lee. Do NOT remove Sun Java.
>
> By going to some sites, certain Java Script infectors will be installed.
Usually it's the
> Java Jars. Dumping the cache eliminates the Java jars and any Jasave
Script and/or applet
> infectors they have in them. However, it will not correct any other
infectors they in turn
> may have downloaded and thus the scan of the platform.
>
> BTW: Java Script infectors can infect MS Java as much as Sun Java. The
effects are
> slightly different but since Microsoft was sued by Sun for misusing their
license to Java,
> Sun Java is the way to go, not Microsoft. Microsoft will soon loose all
rights to MS Java
> due to their losing the law suit.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Okay, thank you David.

Based on what you and Glen and others have posted, I'll take another shot at
downloading Sysclean. Who am I to argue with all this expertise :O). I'll
report back what it finds, though I probably won't be able to download until
tonight, when I get a long period of time when I won't need my phone (I work
at home so I can't tie things up during the day for such a large download).

Thanks again.