WANT wmp7 but get setup_wm.exe error

The original problem: WMP 6.4 "runs" but no audio is heard. But WinAmp 2.x,
IRfanview's player, and W98 Plus!'s CD Deluxe player all play audio just
fine!

Desiring to get WMP "fixed" inorder to support digital ripping, I downloaded
and installed WMP 7.1 (I good match for a 64meg, P1-200). Installation went
well. But the player behaves the same way v6.4 did - no audio is heard (and
yes.. the volume level is on and up).

Thinking that maybe an update (codec) would fix the problem, WMP's "Check
for updates" downloads and proceeds to install the update.. but after a few
seconds it generates a "setup_wm.exe performed an illegal operation". The
player still runs despite that, but there is still no audio.

What's the problem, and is there any way to get WMP to work?

try the mute button on the players face

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
"Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
> The original problem: WMP 6.4 "runs" but no audio is heard. But WinAmp
2.x,
> IRfanview's player, and W98 Plus!'s CD Deluxe player all play audio just
> fine!
>
> Desiring to get WMP "fixed" inorder to support digital ripping, I
downloaded
> and installed WMP 7.1 (I good match for a 64meg, P1-200). Installation
went
> well. But the player behaves the same way v6.4 did - no audio is heard
(and
> yes.. the volume level is on and up).
>
> Thinking that maybe an update (codec) would fix the problem, WMP's "Check
> for updates" downloads and proceeds to install the update.. but after a
few
> seconds it generates a "setup_wm.exe performed an illegal operation".
The
> player still runs despite that, but there is still no audio.
>
> What's the problem, and is there any way to get WMP to work?

No difference. The mute shows the "speaker" icon and the lines depicting
sound coming out.

"AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> try the mute button on the players face

What file types are not playing in WMP?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
> The original problem: WMP 6.4 "runs" but no audio is heard. But WinAmp 2.x,
> IRfanview's player, and W98 Plus!'s CD Deluxe player all play audio just
> fine!
>
> Desiring to get WMP "fixed" inorder to support digital ripping, I downloaded
> and installed WMP 7.1 (I good match for a 64meg, P1-200). Installation went
> well. But the player behaves the same way v6.4 did - no audio is heard (and
> yes.. the volume level is on and up).
>
> Thinking that maybe an update (codec) would fix the problem, WMP's "Check
> for updates" downloads and proceeds to install the update.. but after a few
> seconds it generates a "setup_wm.exe performed an illegal operation". The
> player still runs despite that, but there is still no audio.
>
> What's the problem, and is there any way to get WMP to work?

See if anything here helps you:
http://www.zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio

Although it deals mostly with WMP 9 or 10, much also applies to earlier versions.
Among the tips, there is this:

"How do I make WMP louder?
WMP uses both the main volume control and the Wave volume control. WinAMP, for
example, adjusts the Wave volume control and thus affects WMP. You would need to
click on the speaker icon by the clock on the Start Bar (this area is called the
system tray) and adjust the Wave volume control. Also affecting WMP's sound output
will be WMP's "View:Now Playing Tools" menu's Graphic Equalizer (which can provide
an additional boost by maxing the mixer lines), the "View:Now Playing Tools" menu's
SRS WowSound, and the Windows XP Plus! pack's "Speaker Correction". Finally, in some
cases, the DirectSound support from your sound card may be quieter than the waveOut
support, in which case you can switch to use waveOut and recapture that extra
volume. "
--

"glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message...
> What file types are not playing in WMP?

Well.. the files are "playing".. I can see them load, the title displays.
MP3's get accessed, load, display and the player starts playing (slider
moves to the right to indicate progress) but there is no sound.

When I put in a CD, the tracks get accessed, and then the following message
pops up:

Windows Media Player Error: Canont play bak audio stream: no audio hardware
is available, or the hardware is not responding.

Details reveals: Error ID 0x80040256, Remedy ID 0x00000000

BUT.. when I launch CD's with the Windows CD player, or Mp3's with another
player, the audio is just fine.

didnt really think it would, but sometimes there are those head slapping
moments

--

> No difference. The mute shows the "speaker" icon and the lines depicting
> sound coming out.
>
> "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > try the mute button on the players face

Ah, we finally get an error message! ;-)
Windows Media Player Cannot Play Back the Audio Stream:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=236396