DOS Application stops printing

I work in a place that relies HEAVILY on a DOS application. It appears
to run best in Win 98, although it will run in W2K and XP. My problem
with this app is that it stops printing and it appears this is an
arbitrary thing. I have all but given up with getting the program to
produce reports (that are very much needed on a daily basis) in the
2000 and XP environments. Today for no apparent reason the app quit
functioning properly on a Win98 machine. Up until today it was was
working just fine. When the request is made for a report, the program
"appears" to be behaving "normally", then the screen goes black, and
then the next thing you know, I have the Win98 desktop, no printout,
and some small error box about an illegal operation.

I checked the computer for spyware and removed a very large number of
things, checked for viruses - clean, rebooted the machine and still got
the sme problem. I checked the printer driver and it appeared to work
properly. This computer is on a network, and "Net Use" is used to map
to a network printer.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Tammy

--
TammyB
TammyB's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=558

    The exact wording of the error message might help in troubleshooting the
    issue.

    "TammyB" <TammyB.1osr0a@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    > I work in a place that relies HEAVILY on a DOS application. It appears
    > to run best in Win 98, although it will run in W2K and XP. My problem
    > with this app is that it stops printing and it appears this is an
    > arbitrary thing. I have all but given up with getting the program to
    > produce reports (that are very much needed on a daily basis) in the
    > 2000 and XP environments. Today for no apparent reason the app quit
    > functioning properly on a Win98 machine. Up until today it was was
    > working just fine. When the request is made for a report, the program
    > "appears" to be behaving "normally", then the screen goes black, and
    > then the next thing you know, I have the Win98 desktop, no printout,
    > and some small error box about an illegal operation.
    >
    > I checked the computer for spyware and removed a very large number of
    > things, checked for viruses - clean, rebooted the machine and still got
    > the sme problem. I checked the printer driver and it appeared to work
    > properly. This computer is on a network, and "Net Use" is used to map
    > to a network printer.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tammy
    >

    > --
    > TammyB
    > TammyB's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=558

    Here is the error message.

    \"THIS PROGRAM HAS PERFORMED AN ILLEGAL OPERATION AND WILL BE
    TERMINATED. QUIT ALL PROGRAMS, AND THEN RESTART YOUR COMPUTER.

    IF THE PROGRAM CONSISTENTLY ENCOUNTERS PROBLEMS, CLICK THE START
    BUTTON, THEN SELECT HELP, TROULESHOOTING AND 'IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE
    RUNNING MS-DOS PROGRAMS.'

    FAULT LOCATION: 0000:000C
    INTERRUPTS IN SERVICE: NONE\"

    I hope this helps someone figure out what happened.

    I went to the Help screens, but did not see anything relating to my
    issue.

    Thanks,
    -Tammy-

    --
    TammyB
    TammyB's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=558

    "TammyB" <TammyB.1osr0a@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    > I work in a place that relies HEAVILY on a DOS application. It appears
    > to run best in Win 98, although it will run in W2K and XP. My problem
    > with this app is that it stops printing and it appears this is an
    > arbitrary thing. I have all but given up with getting the program to
    > produce reports (that are very much needed on a daily basis) in the
    > 2000 and XP environments. Today for no apparent reason the app quit
    > functioning properly on a Win98 machine. Up until today it was was
    > working just fine.

    Did you confirm the network still uses the same
    printer on which you were formerly printing? Not
    many standard Windows printers print DOS apps
    without extra tweaking (so mine is a Brother, one
    of their older bisexual printers, i.e. both DOS and Win.)

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Every cumulative IE critical Windows Update will take your
    Troubleshooters away, for security reasons.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188867
    Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems. This article contains a
    link to what it says is the equivalent of the Windows Help
    Troubleshooters...
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/tshoot
    That's it, though sometimes it won't work.

    But, here is how to get them back when offline...

    NOTE: This first step undoes a security measure put into one/two files
    that will not get reinstated by the .reg's that follow. The .reg's only
    disable/enable the kill bit.

    First, "START, Find, F&F, Tshoot.inf"; R-Clk it & select "Install". You
    still won't have the Troubleshooters. So, second...

    (1) "START, Run, RegEdit"
    (2) Navigate to

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX
    Compatibility\{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}

    Compatibility Flags 0x00000400 (1024) <<Dword value 400

    by
    (a) Clicking plus signs, beginning with "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE",
    (b) & ending with "ActiveX Compatibility".
    (c) Finally, click "{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}" itself in
    the left pane.
    (d) Now, you see "Compatibility Flags 0x00000400 (1024)" in the right
    pane.
    (e) "Registry menu, Export Registry file".

    This will create a ".reg" file of the entire Key that is open...
    all the items in the right pane & all sub-keys in the left pane (if
    there is a plus sign). Give it a name & location of your choosing, even
    to the Desktop or My Documents. Then, to undo the following, you will be
    able to simply click that file, to Merge it's contents back into the
    Registry.

    Actually-- name that one "NoTrouble.reg". It will look like...

    ....Start.....
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX
    Compatibility\{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}]
    "Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000400

    ....End.......

    (f) Close RegEdit. You now have an "undo" .reg, named "NoTrouble.reg".
    (g) Make a copy of it called "Trouble.reg".
    (h) Open "Trouble.reg" in Notepad. Change the "dword" to look as
    follows... all zeros...

    ....Start..of "Trouble.reg"...
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX
    Compatibility\{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}]
    "Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000000

    ....End.......

    CAREFUL: That "HKEY" is one line, with TWO spaces only. One between
    "Internet Explorer", & the other between "ActiveX Compatibility". Make
    sure it looks that way in Notepad, before you click to Save. Also, you
    must have an empty line at bottom.

    Now, "Trouble.reg" gives you the Troubleshooters. "NoTrouble.reg" will
    give you security by taking them away. Remember to undo it, after you
    are done looking at the Troubleshooters.

    (2) By default, when a ".reg" is clicked, it will Merge into the
    Registry. To alter the default behavior: "START, Settings, Folder
    Options, File Types tab". Scroll to & click "Registration Entries",
    click the "Edit" button, select "edit" in the window & click the "Set
    Default" button. Now, when you click a ".reg" file, it will open in
    Notepad for examination. To merge it into the Registry, R-Clk it &
    select "Merge".

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "TammyB" <TammyB.1otr4a@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    | Here is the error message.
    |
    | \"THIS PROGRAM HAS PERFORMED AN ILLEGAL OPERATION AND WILL BE
    | TERMINATED. QUIT ALL PROGRAMS, AND THEN RESTART YOUR COMPUTER.
    |
    | IF THE PROGRAM CONSISTENTLY ENCOUNTERS PROBLEMS, CLICK THE START
    | BUTTON, THEN SELECT HELP, TROULESHOOTING AND 'IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE
    | RUNNING MS-DOS PROGRAMS.'
    |
    | FAULT LOCATION: 0000:000C
    | INTERRUPTS IN SERVICE: NONE\"
    |
    | I hope this helps someone figure out what happened.
    |

    | I went to the Help screens, but did not see anything relating to my
    | issue.
    |
    | Thanks,
    | -Tammy-
    |

    | --
    | TammyB
    | TammyB's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=558
    | View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870418320

    Yes Don,

    The printer remains the same. It's a rather "beefy" Canon
    Copier/Fax/Printer/Scanner that is fully attached to the network, and
    all computers which have the driver can print to it from any Windows
    app, regardless of the O/S. It's like there is a gremlin in the DOS
    App that decides whether it will print or not. Up until recently the
    DOS app has cooperated with all of the computers and printers, but
    gradually the communication has ceased. I am thinking that a viable
    solution may be to take one of the older printers, attach it to a Win98
    machine, and dedicate that machine for the reports. Obviously I need a
    parallel printer for this task, and they are still available if you
    look hard enough.

    I really don't like the idea of messing with the registry, but at least
    if things really go "sideways", I can always Fdisk and start again!

    Any other ideas out there?

    -Tammy-

    --
    TammyB
    TammyB's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=558

    All I can think of is... Are you sure the printer is being shared by the
    computer to which it is attached? That is shown at "Control Panel,
    Network, Configuration tab, File & Print Sharing button" on the computer
    that has the printer. Well, also try the Network Troubleshooter, I
    guess.

    --
    "TammyB" <TammyB.1ouloc@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    | Yes Don,
    |
    | The printer remains the same. It's a rather "beefy" Canon
    | Copier/Fax/Printer/Scanner that is fully attached to the network, and
    | all computers which have the driver can print to it from any Windows
    | app, regardless of the O/S. It's like there is a gremlin in the DOS
    | App that decides whether it will print or not. Up until recently the
    | DOS app has cooperated with all of the computers and printers, but
    | gradually the communication has ceased. I am thinking that a viable
    | solution may be to take one of the older printers, attach it to a
    Win98
    | machine, and dedicate that machine for the reports. Obviously I need a
    | parallel printer for this task, and they are still available if you
    | look hard enough.
    |
    | I really don't like the idea of messing with the registry, but at
    least
    | if things really go "sideways", I can always Fdisk and start again!
    |
    | Any other ideas out there?
    |
    | -Tammy-
    |

    | --
    | TammyB