Defrag problem

HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"trying hard" <trying hard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B66A39C2-8FC2-4BD1-9A51-53A780C79E3F@microsoft.com...
> Win98 v2 defrag refuses to run

If defrag, following scandisk, fails to complete in Normal Mode, attempt it
in Safe Mode. If that fails, use the free ScanDefrag:

> The free ScanDefrag is the most advanced disk maintenance
> program there is. It runs Disk Cleanup, ScanDisk, and Disk
> Defragmenter. It's easy to setup and use, and it can deal with
> problems like "drive's contents have changed: restarting...".
> Get it and read about all the options it has that you can use.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bblanton2/scandefrag/main.htm
http://www.blueorbsoft.com/scandefrag/index.html

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"trying hard" <trying hard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Win98 v2 defrag refuses to run

It also sounds like you may have too many operations running at the same time
as well. Make sure everying but your "explorer" and "systray" and whatever
sets up your keyboard are the only things that should be running when you do
a DEFRAG. You can also see what is running by hitting your "cnt alt del"
buttons at the same time. Also hit "start" "run" and type "msconfig" and go
to your startup tab and look at all of the items that are starting up "boxes
are checked" when your computer starts up. Outside of your virus program and
your system programs, you should keep these checked boxes to a minimum
especially if you have less than 256k of RAM. If you are in doubt as to what
one of the "checked boxes" are, I would leave it checked unless you know for
sure.