Right-Clicking oddity

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 10, 2005 7:31:01 AM

It has been going on for some time and I can't remember what was happening at
the time that it started. Following a new boot or reboot, right-clicking on
any Icon on the Desktop or on any File will not bring on any response until
10 to 15 seconds have elapsed. However, once accomplished on the first
attempt, any further right-clicking will behave normally. As implied, if I
were to reboot, the same thing will happen. Left-clicking acts normally at
any time.
Using W98SE.
Thanks for any suggestions!
PAL

More about : clicking oddity

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 12:55:43 PM

Slow Windows Performance

Q153114 - Opening a Folder Takes a Long Time:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q153/1...

Q190639 - Windows 98 Operates Slowly or Stops Responding:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q190/6...

Q239094 - Various Error Messages Displayed and Slow Windows Performance When
Virtual Memory Is
Enabled: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q239/0...

Q258636 - Windows Responds Slowly Or Stops Responding (Hangs):
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q258/6...

Regards
Andreas Kaestner

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It has been going on for some time and I can't remember what was happening
at
> the time that it started. Following a new boot or reboot, right-clicking
on
> any Icon on the Desktop or on any File will not bring on any response
until
> 10 to 15 seconds have elapsed. However, once accomplished on the first
> attempt, any further right-clicking will behave normally. As implied, if I
> were to reboot, the same thing will happen. Left-clicking acts normally at
> any time.
> Using W98SE.
> Thanks for any suggestions!
> PAL
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 2:20:24 PM

If Jack's references don't help, as an experiment, move everything from your
My Documents folder to a new folder on the desktop. Does this resolve the
problem?

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It has been going on for some time and I can't remember what was happening
> at
> the time that it started. Following a new boot or reboot, right-clicking
> on
> any Icon on the Desktop or on any File will not bring on any response
> until
> 10 to 15 seconds have elapsed. However, once accomplished on the first
> attempt, any further right-clicking will behave normally. As implied, if I
> were to reboot, the same thing will happen. Left-clicking acts normally at
> any time.
> Using W98SE.
> Thanks for any suggestions!
> PAL
May 11, 2005 2:11:03 AM

Ron Badour wrote:
> If Jack's references don't help, as an experiment, move everything from your
> My Documents folder to a new folder on the desktop. Does this resolve the
> problem?

Try:
1. Cleaning up your registry with MS RegClean
2. Installing TweakUI and moving your Temporary directory to a diffirent
drive if you have one.

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor

"Even a child who is pure at heart
And does his homework neatly
May become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms
And the moon is full, completely."
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 3:51:23 PM

MS quit supporting RegClean a number of years ago and I recommend that it
not be used as it could cause damage.

--

"Jure Sah" <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message
> Ron Badour wrote:
>> If Jack's references don't help, as an experiment, move everything from
>> your My Documents folder to a new folder on the desktop. Does this
>> resolve the problem?
>
> Try:
> 1. Cleaning up your registry with MS RegClean
> 2. Installing TweakUI and moving your Temporary directory to a diffirent
> drive if you have one.
>
> --
> Model: INFJ
> Primary function: Coprocessor
> Secondary function: Cluster commander
>
> "Even a child who is pure at heart
> And does his homework neatly
> May become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms
> And the moon is full, completely."
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 2:10:55 AM

Ron Badour wrote:
> MS quit supporting RegClean a number of years ago and I recommend that it
> not be used as it could cause damage.

Such as? I've been using it with anything up to Windows XP
(professionaly, as a devoloper, to clean up lost refferneces to ActiveX
controls) and didn't see much wrong happening. Been also using a 3rd
party tool called RegCleaner which claims to be suitable for up to
windows 2000 (XP didn't exist when it was made), which does the very
same thing.

Only thing I ever noticed with RegClean was that it kept removing the
joystick calibration data in a windows 95 machine.

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor
Secondary function: Cluster commander

"Even a child who is pure at heart
And does his homework neatly
May become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms
And the moon is full, completely."
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 2:10:56 AM

I have not used it in about five years so I really don't recall what it was
removing that it should not have. I do recall that even on its best day, it
removed entries when there was no apparent reason for doing so. While the
cleaner creates an undo file, the user has to remember that any problem that
surfaces later on might be related to something contained in the undo file.

--

> Ron Badour wrote:
>> MS quit supporting RegClean a number of years ago and I recommend that it
>> not be used as it could cause damage.
>
> Such as? I've been using it with anything up to Windows XP (professionaly,
> as a devoloper, to clean up lost refferneces to ActiveX controls) and
> didn't see much wrong happening. Been also using a 3rd party tool called
> RegCleaner which claims to be suitable for up to windows 2000 (XP didn't
> exist when it was made), which does the very same thing.
>
> Only thing I ever noticed with RegClean was that it kept removing the
> joystick calibration data in a windows 95 machine.
>
> --
> Model: INFJ
> Primary function: Coprocessor
> Secondary function: Cluster commander
>
> "Even a child who is pure at heart
> And does his homework neatly
> May become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms
> And the moon is full, completely."
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 2:10:56 AM

I believe Ron could have used a clarification that it not be used by the
inexperienced. Any registry cleaner in the hands of an inexperienced user can
very well spell disaster. One such removal that comes to mind aside from the
main window in RegClean is Orphaned dll's. Not all are 100% truly orphaned and
removal of the ones that aren't can become dll hell for the inexperienced.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Jure Sah" <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message
> Ron Badour wrote:
>> MS quit supporting RegClean a number of years ago and I recommend that it not
>> be used as it could cause damage.
>
> Such as? I've been using it with anything up to Windows XP (professionaly, as
> a devoloper, to clean up lost refferneces to ActiveX controls) and didn't see
> much wrong happening. Been also using a 3rd party tool called RegCleaner which
> claims to be suitable for up to windows 2000 (XP didn't exist when it was
> made), which does the very same thing.
>
> Only thing I ever noticed with RegClean was that it kept removing the joystick
> calibration data in a windows 95 machine.
>
> --
> Model: INFJ
> Primary function: Coprocessor
> Secondary function: Cluster commander
>
> "Even a child who is pure at heart
> And does his homework neatly
> May become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms
> And the moon is full, completely."
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 7:00:04 AM

Thanks....Jack Martinelli, Ron Badour, Jure Sah and Brian A, for your
suggestions and observations.
My time on the computer is sort of limited, but was able to try few things.
I did not really move My Documents to the Desktop, but moved its contents on
a Slave HD. Similarly, I emptied the Temp Folder except for untouchable
items. I also executed a batch file that cleans most of the history items.
This batch file was displayed in Posts past: (Some minor entries were added
to the original version)

echo off
c:\windows\smartdrv.exe
deltree /y c:\recycled
deltree /y c:\windows\tempor~2
deltree /y c:\windows\temp
deltree /y c:\windows\tmp
deltree /y c:\windows\ff*.tmp
deltree /y c:\windows\history
deltree /y c:\windows\cookies
deltree /y c:\windows\recent
deltree /y c:\windows\spool\printers
del c:\WIN386.SWP
del c:\windows\WMPLIB~1.db

In any event, nothing seemed to help the Right-Click in question.
(Incidentally, Tempor~2 is my Temporary Directory)
I also scanned the articles suggested by Jack and felt that all concerned
either Left or Right Clicking.
I would like to emphasize the fact that the “slow� response occurs ONLY on
the initial Right-Click action after a Boot or Reboot. Left-Click is not
affected.
Further, sorry to admit that, I was not aware of an MS RegClean. I have a
freeware RegCleaner.exe Version 4.3.0.780 Copyright 1999-2001 Jouni Vuorio.
This one, when executed, shows so much ‘stuff’ that it is intimidating. I
have not had the ‘guts’ to try to deal with it.
I am not confident to wander in unknown areas, but I will certainly
appreciate and consider all the suggestions.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 7:16:44 PM

BAP, if you've done virus & spyware scans & found no offender as I
diligently do, DON'T worry over a slight delay upon your first R-Clk!
I've just tried it & have one of my own. Could be something wants to do
some prep at the first one, maybe it's your virus scanner itself or some
latter day MS Windows Update, possibly KB891711. Try it in Safe Mode,
maybe, where those things won't be active to see. If I remember, I'll
try it myself some day.

| deltree /y c:\windows\tempor~2
| (Incidentally, Tempor~2 is my Temporary Directory)

What is tempor~1, then? Normally it is Temporary Internet Files. And are
you sure you're getting the right one? Better...

(a) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
(b) DIR C:\Tempor~* /a /s
(c) Use the "MARK", outline text with mouse, "COPY" button to post the
results.

Note: Mine is on G:\ now...

C:\>DIR G:\Tempor~* /a /s
Directory of G:\
TEMPOR~1 <DIR> 01-29-04 11:24p Temporary Internet Files

....& I have no "~2" (but may have had one once).

| deltree /y c:\windows\temp
| deltree /y c:\windows\tmp

One of these normally is the Temporary directory. And it should not be
deleted until after a certain point in the boot process. This is because
it may be part of an installation process, if you've seen a message
saying "reboot to complete" an install especially. You can safely delete
them with a shortcut in "C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp".

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| Thanks....Jack Martinelli, Ron Badour, Jure Sah and Brian A, for
your
| suggestions and observations.
| My time on the computer is sort of limited, but was able to try few
things.
| I did not really move My Documents to the Desktop, but moved its
contents on
| a Slave HD. Similarly, I emptied the Temp Folder except for
untouchable
| items. I also executed a batch file that cleans most of the history
items.
| This batch file was displayed in Posts past: (Some minor entries were
added
| to the original version)
|
| echo off
| c:\windows\smartdrv.exe
| deltree /y c:\recycled
| deltree /y c:\windows\tempor~2
| deltree /y c:\windows\temp
| deltree /y c:\windows\tmp
| deltree /y c:\windows\ff*.tmp
| deltree /y c:\windows\history
| deltree /y c:\windows\cookies
| deltree /y c:\windows\recent
| deltree /y c:\windows\spool\printers
| del c:\WIN386.SWP
| del c:\windows\WMPLIB~1.db
|
| In any event, nothing seemed to help the Right-Click in question.
| (Incidentally, Tempor~2 is my Temporary Directory)
| I also scanned the articles suggested by Jack and felt that all
concerned
| either Left or Right Clicking.
| I would like to emphasize the fact that the “slow� response occurs
ONLY on
| the initial Right-Click action after a Boot or Reboot. Left-Click is
not
| affected.
| Further, sorry to admit that, I was not aware of an MS RegClean. I
have a
| freeware RegCleaner.exe Version 4.3.0.780 Copyright 1999-2001 Jouni
Vuorio.
| This one, when executed, shows so much ‘stuff’ that it is
intimidating. I
| have not had the ‘guts’ to try to deal with it.
| I am not confident to wander in unknown areas, but I will certainly
| appreciate and consider all the suggestions.

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 8:59:20 AM

"PCR" wrote:

> BAP, if you've done virus & spyware scans & found no offender as I
> diligently do, DON'T worry over a slight delay upon your first R-Clk!
> I've just tried it & have one of my own. Could be something wants to do
> some prep at the first one, maybe it's your virus scanner itself or some
> latter day MS Windows Update, possibly KB891711. Try it in Safe Mode,
> maybe, where those things won't be active to see. If I remember, I'll
> try it myself some day.

*******
It is no major problem, really. I simply thought that there might have been
problems lurking about. I will see what will happen in Safe Mode.
Incidentally, I have, yet, to download MS Windows Update KB891711. Too many
problems??
*******

> | deltree /y c:\windows\tempor~2
> | (Incidentally, Tempor~2 is my Temporary Directory)
>
> What is tempor~1, then? Normally it is Temporary Internet Files. And are
> you sure you're getting the right one? Better...
>
> (a) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
> (b) DIR C:\Tempor~* /a /s
> (c) Use the "MARK", outline text with mouse, "COPY" button to post the
> results.
>
> Note: Mine is on G:\ now...
>
> C:\>DIR G:\Tempor~* /a /s
> Directory of G:\
> TEMPOR~1 <DIR> 01-29-04 11:24p Temporary Internet Files
>
> ....& I have no "~2" (but may have had one once).

*********
DIR C:\Tempor~* /a /s produced this:

Directory of C:\WINDOWS

TEMPOR~2 <DIR> 05-12-05 7:19a tempor~2
0 file(s) 0 bytes

Total files listed:
0 file(s) 0 bytes
1 dir(s) 21,738.97 MB free

C:\>
I mistate this as being the Temporary Directory. Sorry!
As you stated, this should be the Temporary Internet Files.
At one time it was Tempor~1. Can't recall exactly what I did some time back,
but, when I rebooted, it came up as Tempor~2.
What is surprising just now is that it shows zero contents when, in fact, if
I explore that Folder, it shows 75 files ranging from 1 to 60 KB.
***********

> | deltree /y c:\windows\temp
> | deltree /y c:\windows\tmp
>
> One of these normally is the Temporary directory. And it should not be
> deleted until after a certain point in the boot process. This is because
> it may be part of an installation process, if you've seen a message
> saying "reboot to complete" an install especially. You can safely delete
> them with a shortcut in "C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp".

************
You are correct! The Temp folder is the correct one.
I do understand what you say about not clearing it when there is unfinshed
business.
PCR, I really appreciate your observations.
Thank you for your time!
***********

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Thanks....Jack Martinelli, Ron Badour, Jure Sah and Brian A, for
> your
> | suggestions and observations.
> | My time on the computer is sort of limited, but was able to try few
> things.
> | I did not really move My Documents to the Desktop, but moved its
> contents on
> | a Slave HD. Similarly, I emptied the Temp Folder except for
> untouchable
> | items. I also executed a batch file that cleans most of the history
> items.
> | This batch file was displayed in Posts past: (Some minor entries were
> added
> | to the original version)
> |
> | echo off
> | c:\windows\smartdrv.exe
> | deltree /y c:\recycled
> | deltree /y c:\windows\tempor~2
> | deltree /y c:\windows\temp
> | deltree /y c:\windows\tmp
> | deltree /y c:\windows\ff*.tmp
> | deltree /y c:\windows\history
> | deltree /y c:\windows\cookies
> | deltree /y c:\windows\recent
> | deltree /y c:\windows\spool\printers
> | del c:\WIN386.SWP
> | del c:\windows\WMPLIB~1.db
> |
> | In any event, nothing seemed to help the Right-Click in question.
> | (Incidentally, Tempor~2 is my Temporary Directory)
> | I also scanned the articles suggested by Jack and felt that all
> concerned
> | either Left or Right Clicking.
> | I would like to emphasize the fact that the “slow� response occurs
> ONLY on
> | the initial Right-Click action after a Boot or Reboot. Left-Click is
> not
> | affected.
> | Further, sorry to admit that, I was not aware of an MS RegClean. I
> have a
> | freeware RegCleaner.exe Version 4.3.0.780 Copyright 1999-2001 Jouni
> Vuorio.
> | This one, when executed, shows so much ‘stuff’ that it is
> intimidating. I
> | have not had the ‘guts’ to try to deal with it.
> | I am not confident to wander in unknown areas, but I will certainly
> | appreciate and consider all the suggestions.

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 10:51:24 PM

| "PCR" wrote:
|
| > BAP, if you've done virus & spyware scans & found no offender as I
| > diligently do, DON'T worry over a slight delay upon your first
R-Clk!
| > I've just tried it & have one of my own. Could be something wants to
do
| > some prep at the first one, maybe it's your virus scanner itself or
some
| > latter day MS Windows Update, possibly KB891711. Try it in Safe
Mode,
| > maybe, where those things won't be active to see. If I remember,
I'll
| > try it myself some day.
|
| *******
| It is no major problem, really. I simply thought that there might have
been
| problems lurking about. I will see what will happen in Safe Mode.

Yea. I may also be getting a pause at my first left click. Also, while
NetZero is connecting to the NET, I have short periods of a completely
frozen mouse these days! (And you don't hear me complaining.)

| Incidentally, I have, yet, to download MS Windows Update KB891711.
Too many
| problems??
| *******

I think it is safe now, BAP, totally. May as well go for it, as it is
uninstallable in Add/Remove, anyhow.

| > | deltree /y c:\windows\tempor~2
| > | (Incidentally, Tempor~2 is my Temporary Directory)
| >
| > What is tempor~1, then? Normally it is Temporary Internet Files. And
are
| > you sure you're getting the right one? Better...
| >
| > (a) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
| > (b) DIR C:\Tempor~* /a /s
| > (c) Use the "MARK", outline text with mouse, "COPY" button to post
the
| > results.
| >
| > Note: Mine is on G:\ now...
| >
| > C:\>DIR G:\Tempor~* /a /s
| > Directory of G:\
| > TEMPOR~1 <DIR> 01-29-04 11:24p Temporary Internet Files
| >
| > ....& I have no "~2" (but may have had one once).
| >

| *********
| DIR C:\Tempor~* /a /s produced this:
|
| Directory of C:\WINDOWS
|
| TEMPOR~2 <DIR> 05-12-05 7:19a tempor~2

That looks a tad weird...!...

(a) Where is your Tempor~1, if you have a "~2"?
(b) Why does it not say "Temporary Internet Files" after the timestamp,
as mine did, viz...?...
TEMPOR~1 <DIR> 01-29-04 11:24p Temporary Internet Files

(1) Does the long name show in Explorer?

(2) What shows up at... "Control Panel, Internet Options, Settings
button", where does it say Temporary Internet Files are located?

(3) What shows up at...?...
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\She
ll Folders
Cache "G:\Temporary Internet Files"

....and...?...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Use
r Shell Folders
Cache "G:\Temporary Internet Files"

....not to mention...?...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Cache\Paths
Directory "G:\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5"
....& 4 sub-keys to that one.

| 0 file(s) 0 bytes
|
| Total files listed:
| 0 file(s) 0 bytes
| 1 dir(s) 21,738.97 MB free
|
| C:\>
| I mistate this as being the Temporary Directory. Sorry!

OK, but it looks weird!

| As you stated, this should be the Temporary Internet Files.
| At one time it was Tempor~1. Can't recall exactly what I did some time
back,
| but, when I rebooted, it came up as Tempor~2.

Can it be that is it's actual name? Normally, there will be no Tempor~2
without a Tempor~1. I guess (should test)... if you had both & deleted
"-1" you might end up with just the "~2". BUT... You are occasionally
deleting the "~2". So, it should come back as "Tempor~1"!

| What is surprising just now is that it shows zero contents when, in
fact, if
| I explore that Folder, it shows 75 files ranging from 1 to 60 KB.

That's normal, using "~*" (asterisk). Substitute your "~2" to see the
single file & folder...

C:\>dir G:\Tempor~* /s /a
Directory of G:\
TEMPOR~1 <DIR> 01-29-04 11:24p Temporary Internet Files
0 file(s) 0 bytes

C:\>dir G:\Tempor~1 /s /a
Directory of G:\Temporary Internet Files
.. <DIR> 01-29-04 11:24p .
... <DIR> 01-29-04 11:24p ..
DESKTOP INI 67 06-21-04 2:54p desktop.ini
CONTENT IE5 <DIR> 02-01-04 3:07p Content.IE5
1 file(s) 67 bytes

Total files listed:
1 file(s) 67 bytes
3 dir(s) 7,772.83 MB free

| ***********
|

| > | deltree /y c:\windows\temp
| > | deltree /y c:\windows\tmp
| >
| > One of these normally is the Temporary directory. And it should not
be
| > deleted until after a certain point in the boot process. This is
because
| > it may be part of an installation process, if you've seen a message
| > saying "reboot to complete" an install especially. You can safely
delete
| > them with a shortcut in "C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp".
| >
| ************
| You are correct! The Temp folder is the correct one.
| I do understand what you say about not clearing it when there is
unfinshed
| business.

OK, good.

| PCR, I really appreciate your observations.
| Thank you for your time!

You are welcome.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | Thanks....Jack Martinelli, Ron Badour, Jure Sah and Brian A,
for
| > your
| > | suggestions and observations.
| > | My time on the computer is sort of limited, but was able to try
few
| > things.
| > | I did not really move My Documents to the Desktop, but moved its
| > contents on
| > | a Slave HD. Similarly, I emptied the Temp Folder except for
| > untouchable
| > | items. I also executed a batch file that cleans most of the
history
| > items.
| > | This batch file was displayed in Posts past: (Some minor entries
were
| > added
| > | to the original version)
| > |
| > | echo off
| > | c:\windows\smartdrv.exe
| > | deltree /y c:\recycled
| > | deltree /y c:\windows\tempor~2
| > | deltree /y c:\windows\temp
| > | deltree /y c:\windows\tmp
| > | deltree /y c:\windows\ff*.tmp
| > | deltree /y c:\windows\history
| > | deltree /y c:\windows\cookies
| > | deltree /y c:\windows\recent
| > | deltree /y c:\windows\spool\printers
| > | del c:\WIN386.SWP
| > | del c:\windows\WMPLIB~1.db
| > |
| > | In any event, nothing seemed to help the Right-Click in question.
| > | (Incidentally, Tempor~2 is my Temporary Directory)
| > | I also scanned the articles suggested by Jack and felt that all
| > concerned
| > | either Left or Right Clicking.
| > | I would like to emphasize the fact that the “slow�
response occurs
| > ONLY on
| > | the initial Right-Click action after a Boot or Reboot. Left-Click
is
| > not
| > | affected.
| > | Further, sorry to admit that, I was not aware of an MS RegClean. I
| > have a
| > | freeware RegCleaner.exe Version 4.3.0.780 Copyright 1999-2001
Jouni
| > Vuorio.
| > | This one, when executed, shows so much ‘stuff’ that
it is
| > intimidating. I
| > | have not had the ‘guts’ to try to deal with it.
| > | I am not confident to wander in unknown areas, but I will
certainly
| > | appreciate and consider all the suggestions.
| > |
| > |

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 8:56:02 AM

PCR, just to report:
- The oddity occurs in Safe Mode, as well
- Tempor~1 is nowhere to be found. In spite of Tempor~2 being deleted with
that batch file, I presume, (unless is not really deleted -need to check this
out) it reappears over and over again
- At the DOS Prompt, the directory command on Tempor~2, with the /a /s
switches, does show things such as DESKTOP INI & CONTENT IE5 <DIR> , but
nowhere the number of files shown by MsExplorer
- The Internet settings in the Control Panel shows the Temporary Internet
Files located at Tempor~2
- The Registry, searched as per you suggestions, shows the location of the
Temporary Internet Files in C:\Windows\Tempor~2\Content.IE5
- So, I presume, I need not worry about possible problems. I am not really
worried, but I thank you for your time and interest in this matter.

----------

"PCR" wrote:

> [...]
> 1 file(s) 67 bytes
> 3 dir(s) 7,772.83 MB free
>

> | ***********

> | > One of these normally is the Temporary directory. And it should not
> be
> | > deleted until after a certain point in the boot process. This is
> because
> | > it may be part of an installation process, if you've seen a message
> | > saying "reboot to complete" an install especially. You can safely
> delete
> | > them with a shortcut in "C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp".
> | >
> | ************
> | You are correct! The Temp folder is the correct one.
> | I do understand what you say about not clearing it when there is
> unfinshed
> | business.
>
> OK, good.
>
> | PCR, I really appreciate your observations.

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 1:26:51 PM

While it's unusual to have the long name "Temporary Internet Files" associated
with tempor~2 it won't hurt anything.

On the delay you experience when first right-clicking on a file; look to what
menu items (especially third party) are in the menu. Some programs will allow
you to disable context menu items (i.e. WinZip). Those that don't, you would have
to uninstall, or disable manually in the registry to test.

Another thing you might try is booting to DOS and running-
scanreg /fix
scanreg /opt

"BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A18CF829-5548-45D9-ACD7-057EBA05A978@microsoft.com...
> PCR, just to report:
> - The oddity occurs in Safe Mode, as well
> - Tempor~1 is nowhere to be found. In spite of Tempor~2 being deleted with
> that batch file, I presume, (unless is not really deleted -need to check this
> out) it reappears over and over again
> - At the DOS Prompt, the directory command on Tempor~2, with the /a /s
> switches, does show things such as DESKTOP INI & CONTENT IE5 <DIR> , but
> nowhere the number of files shown by MsExplorer
> - The Internet settings in the Control Panel shows the Temporary Internet
> Files located at Tempor~2
> - The Registry, searched as per you suggestions, shows the location of the
> Temporary Internet Files in C:\Windows\Tempor~2\Content.IE5
> - So, I presume, I need not worry about possible problems. I am not really
> worried, but I thank you for your time and interest in this matter.

<snip>

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 6:18:12 PM

"BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| PCR, just to report:
| - The oddity occurs in Safe Mode, as well

It could be as Blanton said, that an item added to the R-Clk menu is
doing it. (I have added QuikView & WinZip.) Also, something may be
initializing a buffer upon the first R-Clk, perhaps Windows itself. If
the delay occurs occurs only on the first R-Clk (as we both said it
does), I think we have already agreed not to worry over it. (Safe Mode,
actually, may be naturally slow.)

| - Tempor~1 is nowhere to be found. In spite of Tempor~2 being deleted
with
| that batch file, I presume, (unless is not really deleted -need to
check this
| out) it reappears over and over again

Absolutely, it is not natural for a "~2" to show up when there is no
"~1". It could be those Registry entries are the cause...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\She
ll Folders
Cache "G:\Temporary Internet Files"

....and...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Use
r Shell Folders
Cache "G:\Temporary Internet Files"

....not to mention...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Cache\Paths
Directory "G:\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5"
....& 4 sub-keys to that one.

Probably, the situation arose from moving or renaming TIFs using True
DOS one day. That would have destroyed the long name.

| - At the DOS Prompt, the directory command on Tempor~2, with the /a /s
| switches, does show things such as DESKTOP INI & CONTENT IE5 <DIR>
, but
| nowhere the number of files shown by MsExplorer

The files shown in Explorer need to be constructed by Windows. They are
inside the Index.dat that is inside CONTENT.IE5. DOS cannot extract
them.

| - The Internet settings in the Control Panel shows the Temporary
Internet
| Files located at Tempor~2

The long file name of "Temporary Internet Files" was somehow destroyed,
when Temporary Internet Files was a "~2". Now, although you have no
"~1", the Registry entries must be fixing it as "Tempor~2" upon boot to
Windows, even after you delete that one in DOS. I don't know what the
implications will be if you ever create a new folder in C:\Windows that
wants to use a tilde (~). But I don't like it even esthetically.

| - The Registry, searched as per you suggestions, shows the location of
the
| Temporary Internet Files in C:\Windows\Tempor~2\Content.IE5
| - So, I presume, I need not worry about possible problems. I am not
really
| worried, but I thank you for your time and interest in this matter.

I don't like it. Probably, I would change each occurrence of "Tempor~2"
to "Temporary Internet Files" in the Registry, & reboot.
Alternatively...

(a) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Settings button"
Where does it say Temporary Internet Files are located?
That is the REAL one.
===== YOU SAID: "C:\Windows\Tempor~2" =====
(b) "START, Find, F/F".
(c) Enter "Tempor~*" (Tilde-asterisk, no quotes) in "Named".
(d) Click the "Advanced" button, & use the dropdown to select
"Folder".
(e) Then click the "Find Now" button.
If you have more than one "Temporary Internet Files" folder, you
may delete the one's that are not real.
===== YOU SAID: ONLY "C:\Windows\Tempor~2" WILL SHOW =====
Then, If TIFs are not where you want them, here's how to move it to
"C:\Windows\"...

1. Close all open windows, except Internet Properties if still open.
2. "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, check 'Delete
all
offline content', OK, Apply, OK"
3. "Control Panel, Internet Options, Settings button"
4. Click "Move Folder"
5. In "Browse for Folder" requestor:
a. Click plus to left of C:
b. Highlight "Windows"
c. Click OK
6. It will ask; give it permission to re-boot

That might do it too. After that, delete "C:\Windows\Tempor~2", if it
still exists.

| ----------
|
| "PCR" wrote:
|
| > "BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
....snip...
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 6:23:56 PM

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
| While it's unusual to have the long name "Temporary Internet Files"
associated
| with tempor~2 it won't hurt anything.

I don't like it. He's lost the long file name & only has "Tempor~2"...
"BAP" wrote in message
> [...]
....Quote.............
DIR C:\Tempor~* /a /s produced this:
Directory of C:\WINDOWS
TEMPOR~2 <DIR> 05-12-05 7:19a tempor~2
0 file(s) 0 bytes
....Unquote............

| On the delay you experience when first right-clicking on a file; look
to what
| menu items (especially third party) are in the menu. Some programs
will allow
| you to disable context menu items (i.e. WinZip). Those that don't, you
would have
| to uninstall, or disable manually in the registry to test.

It only happens at the first R-Clk after a boot.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 7:29:47 PM

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message

> Another thing you might try is booting to DOS and running-
> scanreg /fix
> scanreg /opt

Don't hold me to it, buts AFAIK after running with the /fix switch you run with
both switches, not only the /opt switch:

scanreg /opt /fix

It's always suggested to run each 3 times as each new run may pick out what the
subsequent run may have missed.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://basconotw.mvps.org/
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 1:54:49 AM

"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message news:eOMYBtXWFHA.3584@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
> | While it's unusual to have the long name "Temporary Internet Files" associated
> | with tempor~2 it won't hurt anything.
>
> I don't like it. He's lost the long file name & only has "Tempor~2"...

Ah, I didn't know that he lost the LFN.

> "BAP" wrote in message
> ...Quote.............
> DIR C:\Tempor~* /a /s produced this:
> Directory of C:\WINDOWS
> TEMPOR~2 <DIR> 05-12-05 7:19a tempor~2
> 0 file(s) 0 bytes

Hm. It still does have a lfn. "tempor~2". If it didn't it would be
listed in uppercase. But you're right, something's wrong with that.
It may be that he had some other TEMPOR~ folder/file at one time
holding the 1 slot when IE created the folder and it's gone now.

> | On the delay you experience when first right-clicking on a file; look to what
> | menu items (especially third party) are in the menu. Some programs will allow
> | you to disable context menu items (i.e. WinZip). Those that don't, you would have
> | to uninstall, or disable manually in the registry to test.
>
> It only happens at the first R-Clk after a boot.

Could be one of the handlers doesn't unload, or is cached, so
that later attempts are faster.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 1:57:30 AM

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message news:%23hhcfzYWFHA.3584@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message news:e5m5AHVWFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>

>> Another thing you might try is booting to DOS and running-
>> scanreg /fix
>> scanreg /opt
>
> Don't hold me to it, buts AFAIK after running with the /fix switch you run with both switches, not only the /opt switch:
>
> scanreg /opt /fix
>
> It's always suggested to run each 3 times as each new run may pick out what the subsequent run may have missed.

I know it's always (well not always, but in recent years) been suggested to run
"/opt /fix" (or "/fix /opt") Brian, but I've never seen any evidence that
including /opt with /fix does anything other than do a /fix.

From memory:

Assuming no recent compaction, and running tests on the same file set.

/fix will reduce both user.dat and system.dat to some number; x * 4k bytes
/opt will then rduce it furthur, by a small (y)4k amount.
running /fix again will increase the size back to the (x)4k bytes

/fix /opt | /opt /fix will compact the files to the same (x)4k as /fix
running /opt afterwards will again reduce the file by (y)4k

IIRC, one of the more reputable MVPs found out about running "/opt /fix, 3 times"
from someone at Microsoft. I have no doubt that he was told that and do trust him,
but I've never seen any hard evidence, or a good explanation on "why" that is.
Personally, I've never seen any of the mentioned "versions" of the command
(/fix, /opt, /opt /fix) compact the registry any more after their first run;
respective.

OTOH, my only "hard" evidence is file sizes.

I was just googling for this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184023/
to check something, and found this (which I've never seen before)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q201655/
It suggests doing a /fix and then an /opt as separate commands.

Of course as far as practical concerns go, there probably isn't much to be
gained from running anything other than a /fix.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 2:50:06 AM

I actually learned about it from an MVP long ago and IIRC it was to run /fix
first, then /opt /fix. I'd have to check thru old saved printouts to see who it
was and if memory faded.

It appears to me by the articles that perhaps running both once would be plenty
enough on one side, yet on the other side it might be as you say, running /fix
may be enough.

The first article mentions both optimizing and removing/rebuilding w/o empty
spaces although the wording is different.
Repairs any damaged portions of the registry, and optimizes it by rebuilding it
without unused space.
The /opt command-line switch causes the Registry Checker tool to optimize the
registry by removing unused space.

The second article mentions removal of empty spaces only by /opt.
The /fix command-line switch causes the Registry Checker tool to repair any
damaged portions of the registry.
The /opt command-line switch causes the Registry Checker tool to optimize the
registry by removing unused space.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://basconotw.mvps.org/
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 5:41:38 AM

| > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
| > | While it's unusual to have the long name "Temporary Internet
Files" associated
| > | with tempor~2 it won't hurt anything.
| >
| > I don't like it. He's lost the long file name & only has
"Tempor~2"...

| Ah, I didn't know that he lost the LFN.
|

| > "BAP" wrote in message
| > ...Quote.............
| > DIR C:\Tempor~* /a /s produced this:
| > Directory of C:\WINDOWS
| > TEMPOR~2 <DIR> 05-12-05 7:19a tempor~2
| > 0 file(s) 0 bytes
|
| Hm. It still does have a lfn. "tempor~2". If it didn't it would be
| listed in uppercase. But you're right, something's wrong with that.
| It may be that he had some other TEMPOR~ folder/file at one time
| holding the 1 slot when IE created the folder and it's gone now.

Right, something is wrong with it. There is no "Tempor~1", &
occasionally he deletes "Tempor~2" during boot in DOS. But I think I
have it covered in a post to him. I guess something was done to it in
True DOS, which destroyed the LFN. Then, those Registry entries are
causing it to be named "tempor~2", which, to me, was looking like a SFN.

| > | On the delay you experience when first right-clicking on a file;
look to what
| > | menu items (especially third party) are in the menu. Some programs
will allow
| > | you to disable context menu items (i.e. WinZip). Those that don't,
you would have
| > | to uninstall, or disable manually in the registry to test.
| >
| > It only happens at the first R-Clk after a boot.
|
| Could be one of the handlers doesn't unload, or is cached, so
| that later attempts are faster.

Whatever. But it only happens at the first R-Clk, & I think not worth a
big fuss, provided one is up-to-date on virus/spyware scanners, anyhow.
I get it too, that delay (& worse!).
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:21:20 AM

I suspect only the programmer knows for sure ;) .. As you probably know
when a key/value are deleted, it's only marked as such, and not physically
removed from the database. I would assume that during the "rebuild" by /fix
that empty space is removed as a consequence. /fix does seem to do a lot
more work just by how much more time it takes.

Don't really know.. All I really know is that /opt will reduce a /fix(ed) set,
and /fix will grow an /opt(ed) file set..(assuming it was /fixed first). Perhaps
it's something simple like /fix rebuilding the registry with some space
alloted to empty keys for possible future use, and /opt says "screw that"..
I'm here to optimize for the "now"..you don't need no stinkin' space..

dunno...

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message news:%23QOSipcWFHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I actually learned about it from an MVP long ago and IIRC it was to run /fix first, then /opt /fix. I'd have to check thru old
> saved printouts to see who it was and if memory faded.
>
> It appears to me by the articles that perhaps running both once would be plenty enough on one side, yet on the other side it might
> be as you say, running /fix may be enough.
>
> The first article mentions both optimizing and removing/rebuilding w/o empty spaces although the wording is different.
> Repairs any damaged portions of the registry, and optimizes it by rebuilding it without unused space.
> The /opt command-line switch causes the Registry Checker tool to optimize the registry by removing unused space.
>
> The second article mentions removal of empty spaces only by /opt.
> The /fix command-line switch causes the Registry Checker tool to repair any damaged portions of the registry.
> The /opt command-line switch causes the Registry Checker tool to optimize the registry by removing unused space.
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 6:50:08 AM

Bill, your suggestion (seconded by PCR) about looking for what menu items
(especially third party) are in the menut when right-clicking does make
sense. I paid attention to it and was surprised to see all the options
available.
I realize that right-clicking on the icons on the Desktop or on any file
will bring out some unique options, but certain files do show a seemingly
high number of them, such as: Open - Print - Quick View - Decode - Scan for
viruses - What’s This? - Add to Zip - WinZip - Erase - Scan with AVG free
plus the typical ones: Send to - Cut - Copy - Create Sortcut - Delete -
Rename - Properties.
The expanded WinZip shows: still more options.
Are there any easy ways to disable some of these options, at least for
locating the culprit, if there is one?

"PCR" wrote:

> "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
> | While it's unusual to have the long name "Temporary Internet Files"
> associated
> | with tempor~2 it won't hurt anything.
>
> I don't like it. He's lost the long file name & only has "Tempor~2"...
> "BAP" wrote in message
> ....Quote.............
> DIR C:\Tempor~* /a /s produced this:
> Directory of C:\WINDOWS
> TEMPOR~2 <DIR> 05-12-05 7:19a tempor~2
> 0 file(s) 0 bytes
> ....Unquote............
>

> | On the delay you experience when first right-clicking on a file; look
> to what
> | menu items (especially third party) are in the menu. Some programs
> will allow
> | you to disable context menu items (i.e. WinZip). Those that don't, you
> would have
> | to uninstall, or disable manually in the registry to test.
>
> It only happens at the first R-Clk after a boot.
>

> | Another thing you might try is booting to DOS and running-
> | scanreg /fix
> | scanreg /opt
> |

> | "BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | > PCR, just to report:
> | > - The oddity occurs in Safe Mode, as well
> | > - Tempor~1 is nowhere to be found. In spite of Tempor~2 being
> deleted with
> | > that batch file, I presume, (unless is not really deleted -need to
> check this
> | > out) it reappears over and over again
> | > - At the DOS Prompt, the directory command on Tempor~2, with the /a
> /s
> | > switches, does show things such as DESKTOP INI & CONTENT IE5
> <DIR> , but
> | > nowhere the number of files shown by MsExplorer
> | > - The Internet settings in the Control Panel shows the Temporary
> Internet
> | > Files located at Tempor~2
> | > - The Registry, searched as per you suggestions, shows the location
> of the
> | > Temporary Internet Files in C:\Windows\Tempor~2\Content.IE5
> | > - So, I presume, I need not worry about possible problems. I am not
> really
> | > worried, but I thank you for your time and interest in this matter.
> | >

> | <snip>
> |

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 7:31:01 AM

***********
PCR -
(b) "START, Find, F/F".
(c) Enter "Tempor~*" (Tilde-asterisk, no quotes) in "Named".
(d) Click the "Advanced" button, & use the dropdown to select
"Folder".
(e) Then click the "Find Now" button.
If you have more than one "Temporary Internet Files" folder, you
may delete the one's that are not real.

BAP - Only this shows:
tempor~2 C:\WINDOWS

Presumably, this is the only Folder.

***********
PCR - Then, If TIFs are not where you want them, here's how to move it to
"C:\Windows\"...

1. Close all open windows, except Internet Properties if still open.
2. "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, check 'Delete all
offline content', OK, Apply, OK"
3. "Control Panel, Internet Options, Settings button"
4. Click "Move Folder"
5. In "Browse for Folder" requestor:
a. Click plus to left of C:
b. Highlight "Windows"
c. Click OK
6. It will ask; give it permission to re-boot

That might do it too. After that, delete "C:\Windows\Tempor~2", if it still
exists.

BAP - Not sure about the above. Are the TIFs not in the right location, now?
If I were to take the described steps, will the TIFs have a different name?
**********

PCR - The files shown in Explorer need to be constructed by Windows. They
are inside the Index.dat that is inside CONTENT.IE5.
DOS cannot extract them.

BAP - Understand
***********

PCR - I don't like it. Probably, I would change each occurrence of
"Tempor~2" to "Temporary Internet Files" in the Registry, & reboot.

BAP - I did not edit any of the entries in the Registry, but did search for
the occurrences. There are several and all show the TIFs in C:\WINDOWS\
----- Some shown as TEMPOR~2 and some as tempor~2.
Would the reported case be of significance?
Bill Blanton singled this out: “ Hm. It still does have a lfn. "tempor~2".
If it didn't it would be listed in uppercase. But you're right, something's
wrong with that. It may be that he had some other TEMPOR~ folder/file at one
time holding the 1 slot when IE created the folder and it's gone now.�
*********
Please, keep in mind that, although I am learning during these sessions, the
problem is not of major concern. You and others must be getting tired of all
this. I am sure all of you could utilize your time for more pressing matters.
I do, however, thank you all for the time you spent on the subject.
______________________________________
PCR -
(a) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Settings button"
Where does it say Temporary Internet Files are located?
That is the REAL one.
===== YOU SAID: "C:\Windows\Tempor~2" =====

BAP -
Start - Settings - Control Panel - Internet Options - General Tab - Settings
It shows :
Ever Time you start Internet Explorer is (the only option) checked
Temporary Internet files folder
Current location C:\WINDOWS\tempor~2\
Amount of disk space to use 20MB

***********
PCR -
It could be as Blanton said, that an item added to the R-Clk menu is doing
it. (I have added QuikView &
WinZip.) Also, something may be initializing a buffer upon the first R-Clk,
perhaps Windows itself. If
the delay occurs occurs only on the first R-Clk (as we both said it does), I
think we have already agreed
not to worry over it. (Safe Mode, actually, may be naturally slow.)

BAP - This is, essentially, my reply to Bill.

Bill, your suggestion (seconded by PCR) about looking for what menu items
(especially third party) are in the menu when right-clicking does make

"PCR" wrote:

> [...]
> (e) Then click the "Find Now" button.
> If you have more than one "Temporary Internet Files" folder, you
> may delete the one's that are not real.
> ===== YOU SAID: ONLY "C:\Windows\Tempor~2" WILL SHOW =====
> Then, If TIFs are not where you want them, here's how to move it to
> "C:\Windows\"...
>
> 1. Close all open windows, except Internet Properties if still open.
> 2. "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, check 'Delete
> all
> offline content', OK, Apply, OK"
> 3. "Control Panel, Internet Options, Settings button"
> 4. Click "Move Folder"
> 5. In "Browse for Folder" requestor:
> a. Click plus to left of C:
> b. Highlight "Windows"
> c. Click OK
> 6. It will ask; give it permission to re-boot
>
> That might do it too. After that, delete "C:\Windows\Tempor~2", if it

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 12:26:50 PM

Soem you can't disable. Open, Print, Send to, Cut, Copy, Delete, Rename,
Paste, Properties. Those belong to Windows. I've never seen a problem
with Winzip and AVG, though it's a possibility. I would put "What's this?"
Erase, and Decode at the top of the list to investigate first.

I don't know what programs put those there, so you'll have to figure that out.
Check in the program's "configuration" or "preferences" for options to
"disable context menu" or maybe "shell extensions". If no option exists,
then you'll have to uninstall the app in Add/Remove programs.

I do know Winzip and AVG. Assuming the new version of AVG, open the program
by double-clicking the icon in the system tray. Click on the "Shell Extension"
box, and click the "Deactivate" button at the bottom. For Winzip, open the
program > Options > Configurations > System(tab) > uncheck "Use shell
extension". Of course you'll probably have to reboot to test each one, and
you'll probably want to re-enable at least AVG and Winzip when you're done.

Have you tried scanreg yet?

>> | Another thing you might try is booting to DOS and running-
>> | scanreg /fix
>> | scanreg /opt

I would do that first. If it works it'll save you a lot of hassle..

"BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3E76538-59CB-4D80-97E6-C7C634A1BC32@microsoft.com...
> Bill, your suggestion (seconded by PCR) about looking for what menu items
> (especially third party) are in the menut when right-clicking does make
> sense. I paid attention to it and was surprised to see all the options
> available.
> I realize that right-clicking on the icons on the Desktop or on any file
> will bring out some unique options, but certain files do show a seemingly
> high number of them, such as: Open - Print - Quick View - Decode - Scan for
> viruses - What's This? - Add to Zip - WinZip - Erase - Scan with AVG free
> plus the typical ones: Send to - Cut - Copy - Create Sortcut - Delete -
> Rename - Properties.
> The expanded WinZip shows: still more options.
> Are there any easy ways to disable some of these options, at least for
> locating the culprit, if there is one?
>

> "PCR" wrote:
>
>> "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
>> | While it's unusual to have the long name "Temporary Internet Files"
>> associated
>> | with tempor~2 it won't hurt anything.
>>
>> I don't like it. He's lost the long file name & only has "Tempor~2"...
>> "BAP" wrote in message
>> ....Quote.............
>> DIR C:\Tempor~* /a /s produced this:
>> Directory of C:\WINDOWS
>> TEMPOR~2 <DIR> 05-12-05 7:19a tempor~2
>> 0 file(s) 0 bytes
>> ....Unquote............
>>

>> | On the delay you experience when first right-clicking on a file; look
>> to what
>> | menu items (especially third party) are in the menu. Some programs
>> will allow
>> | you to disable context menu items (i.e. WinZip). Those that don't, you
>> would have
>> | to uninstall, or disable manually in the registry to test.
>>
>> It only happens at the first R-Clk after a boot.
>>

>> | Another thing you might try is booting to DOS and running-
>> | scanreg /fix
>> | scanreg /opt
>> |

>> | "BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> deleted with
>> check this
>> /s
>> <DIR> , but
>> Internet
>> of the
>> really
>> | >

>> | <snip>
>> |

>> --
>> Thanks or Good Luck,
>> There may be humor in this post, and,
>> Naturally, you will not sue,
>> should things get worse after this,
>> PCR
>> pcrrcp@netzero.net

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 7:39:07 PM

This seems rather powerful & allows items to be turned on/off by
checkmark...

"ContextEdit", Version 1.2, in it's own words:
............Start.............
ContextEdit lets you control which items appear on your context
menu--the menu that appears when you right-click on an item in Windows
Explorer. The context menu often contains numerous rarely-used commands.
These commands come from one of two places: shell commands stored within
the system Registry, and context menu handlers. The source of the menu
item is transparent to the end-user, but still has an impact. Windows
Explorer lets you add or remove simple shell commands, but gives you no
control over context menu handlers. ContextEdit lets you control both
types of context menu items. It also allows you to disable context menu
items without removing them entirely. Another unique feature is the
ability to add shell commands to all files regardless of type, or to all
files without an associated program.
...........End...............

http://www.pcmag.com/ Has many, many great utilities: BHOCop, COA2,
ContextEdit, Crackup, DiskAction, EndItAll2, Folders, HDValet, InCtrl5,
ListZapper, RegDetective, RegEdit+, StartupCop, WinTidy, etc. Now,
suddenly, there is a subscription fee at PCMag, but, it's worth it,
especially if you can get the whole bundle that is there.

..........Start..................
Yearly billing $19.97
Yearly billing (For PC Magazine subscribers) $14.97
Monthly billing (limit 3 downloads/month) $4.97
..........End...................

You may try Google, but do you really want to download from any odd
site?
http://www.google.com/

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Bill, your suggestion (seconded by PCR) about looking for what menu
items
| (especially third party) are in the menut when right-clicking does
make
| sense. I paid attention to it and was surprised to see all the options
| available.
| I realize that right-clicking on the icons on the Desktop or on any
file
| will bring out some unique options, but certain files do show a
seemingly
| high number of them, such as: Open - Print - Quick View - Decode -
Scan for
| viruses - What’s This? - Add to Zip - WinZip - Erase - Scan with
AVG free
| plus the typical ones: Send to - Cut - Copy - Create Sortcut -
Delete -
| Rename - Properties.
| The expanded WinZip shows: still more options.
| Are there any easy ways to disable some of these options, at least for
| locating the culprit, if there is one?
|

| "PCR" wrote:
|
| > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
| > | While it's unusual to have the long name "Temporary Internet
Files"
| > associated
| > | with tempor~2 it won't hurt anything.
| >
| > I don't like it. He's lost the long file name & only has
"Tempor~2"...
| > "BAP" wrote in message
| > ....Quote.............
| > DIR C:\Tempor~* /a /s produced this:
| > Directory of C:\WINDOWS
| > TEMPOR~2 <DIR> 05-12-05 7:19a tempor~2
| > 0 file(s) 0 bytes
| > ....Unquote............

| > |
| > | On the delay you experience when first right-clicking on a file;
look
| > to what
| > | menu items (especially third party) are in the menu. Some programs
| > will allow
| > | you to disable context menu items (i.e. WinZip). Those that don't,
you
| > would have
| > | to uninstall, or disable manually in the registry to test.
| >
| > It only happens at the first R-Clk after a boot.

| > |
| > | Another thing you might try is booting to DOS and running-
| > | scanreg /fix
| > | scanreg /opt
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | "BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > deleted with
| > check this
| > /s
| > <DIR> , but
| > Internet
| > of the
| > really

| > |
| > | <snip>
| > |

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 11:05:25 PM

"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message news:elgJC2xWFHA.3864@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> "BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> | Bill Blanton singled this out: “ Hm. It still does have a lfn.
> "tempor~2".
> | If it didn't it would be listed in uppercase.
>
> I don't know. Let me see something...
>
> C:\>dir /ad
> Directory of C:\
>
> SYSTEM SAV <DIR> 11-30-99 4:06p system.sav
> CPQDRV <DIR> 11-15-99 2:28p CPQDRV
> WINDOWS <DIR> 07-22-99 12:09a WINDOWS
> PROGRA~1 <DIR> 07-22-99 12:13a Program Files
> MYDOCU~1 <DIR> 07-22-99 1:13a My Documents
> CPQS <DIR> 11-15-99 2:28p cpqs
> MOUSE <DIR> 11-15-99 2:27p MOUSE
> COMPAQ <DIR> 11-15-99 2:31p compaq

> ...Some of the SFN's seem to be of mixed case! At least, they are so, as
> rewritten on the right. Yours was all capitals on the left like these &
> lowercase on the right.

Less than or equal to 8.3 characters is not what defines a SFN, though that
is the upper limit of a SFN. In the above \compaq, \cpqs and system.sav are
LFNs. I *think* even now if you were able to rename compaq to COMPAQ, COMPAQ
would still be listed in the LFN dir entry. Once a LFN always an LFN, unless
you move the contents to a SFN dir/file.

There is however a scandskw switch that will convert all files/dirs to SFNs.
Useful if you're tired of Windows ;-)
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:37:24 AM

| > "BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|
| > | Bill Blanton singled this out: “ Hm. It still does have a lfn.
| > "tempor~2".
| > | If it didn't it would be listed in uppercase.
| >
| > I don't know. Let me see something...
| >
| > C:\>dir /ad
| > Directory of C:\
| >
| > SYSTEM SAV <DIR> 11-30-99 4:06p system.sav
| > CPQDRV <DIR> 11-15-99 2:28p CPQDRV
| > WINDOWS <DIR> 07-22-99 12:09a WINDOWS
| > PROGRA~1 <DIR> 07-22-99 12:13a Program Files
| > MYDOCU~1 <DIR> 07-22-99 1:13a My Documents
| > CPQS <DIR> 11-15-99 2:28p cpqs
| > MOUSE <DIR> 11-15-99 2:27p MOUSE
| > COMPAQ <DIR> 11-15-99 2:31p compaq
|
| > ...Some of the SFN's seem to be of mixed case! At least, they are
so, as
| > rewritten on the right. Yours was all capitals on the left like
these &
| > lowercase on the right.
|
| Less than or equal to 8.3 characters is not what defines a SFN, though
that
| is the upper limit of a SFN. In the above \compaq, \cpqs and
system.sav are
| LFNs. I *think* even now if you were able to rename compaq to COMPAQ,
COMPAQ
| would still be listed in the LFN dir entry. Once a LFN always an LFN,
unless
| you move the contents to a SFN dir/file.

I hestitate to play with "C:\Compaq", as it is mentioned in my Registry
36 times. Well, damn, it has many case variations in there; so... WELL,
STILL, if I rename it to all upper in Explorer, how do I know I don't
just have a short, uppercase LFN? I think the true test is to move it in
True DOS, which I hesitate to do. That should kill LFNs. Or, is it a
true test? Afterwards...

COMPAQ <DIR> 11-15-99 2:31p compaq

....might look like...

COMPAQ <DIR> 11-15-99 2:31p COMPAQ

...., but can it be the one on the right is STILL a LFN once Windows gets
it's hands on it?

| There is however a scandskw switch that will convert all files/dirs to
SFNs.
| Useful if you're tired of Windows ;-)

Uhuh. I'd worry over Registry entries.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 7:40:01 AM

Bill, I have tried to run scanreg /fix from the DOS Prompt.
It all appeared to work well until toward the end when it stopped at 98%
reconstruction(?) stage of the System Files. At that time an error box popped
up saying: Windows found an error in your system files and was unable to fix
the problem. Try deleting some files to free up disk space on your Windows
drive. If that doesn't work then you will need to install Windows to a new
Directory. OK

What does it mean by Windows drive.....the Hard Disk or the Windows Folder?
As far as disk space, there is 21GB plus of unused space. At any rate I did
move several non-system files from the Windows Directory (Folder) and tried
to run scanreg /fix again. Same results. I even tried to restore a 4-day
earlier registry before attempting to run it for the third time. This time it
stopped at 92%.
I ran scanreg /opt once. Not sure if did any good.

Regarding the menu options:
-Erase got into the act when I installed Erase downloaded from
http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ Freeware.
-Scan for Viruses has never worked. The claim is that there in no associated
program with it, without
saying what program. There are several entries in the Registry about
virusscan, but, to my knowledge,
there is no apparent file in the Drive.
-What’s This? No idea of what it is or where it came from.
------

"Bill Blanton" wrote:

> [...]
> > Rename - Properties.
> > The expanded WinZip shows: still more options.
> > Are there any easy ways to disable some of these options, at least for
> > locating the culprit, if there is one?
> >

> > "PCR" wrote:
> >
> >> "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
> >> associated
> >>
> >> I don't like it. He's lost the long file name & only has "Tempor~2"...
> >> "BAP" wrote in message
> >> ....Quote.............
> >> DIR C:\Tempor~* /a /s produced this:
> >> Directory of C:\WINDOWS
> >> TEMPOR~2 <DIR> 05-12-05 7:19a tempor~2
> >> 0 file(s) 0 bytes
> >> ....Unquote............

> >> to what
> >> will allow
> >> would have
> >>
> >> It only happens at the first R-Clk after a boot.

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 7:06:23 PM

Scanreg /Fix won't work, if your Registry is about 9 MB in size, unless
the following article solves it...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;187680&Product=w98
"Out of Memory" Error Running Scanreg.exe with /Fix or /Restore
(187680) - When you run Registry Checker (Scanreg.exe) with the /fix or
/restore switch, you may receive an "out of memory" error message. You
may also receive this error message when Scanreg.exe creates a backup
copy of the registry during Windows startup.

To see how large yours is...

(1) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
(2) DIR C:\Windows\System.dat /a
(3) DIR C:\Windows\User.dat /a

Now, add them up...

C:\>DIR C:\Windows\System.dat /a
Directory of C:\WINDOWS
SYSTEM DAT 5,468,192 05-18-05 2:54p SYSTEM.DAT
1 file(s) 5,468,192 bytes

C:\>DIR C:\Windows\User.dat /a
Directory of C:\WINDOWS
USER DAT 684,064 05-18-05 2:54p USER.DAT
1 file(s) 684,064 bytes

I add up to about 6 MB, & /Fix works fine for me.

--
> [...]
that out.
| > Check in the program's "configuration" or "preferences" for options
| > "disable context menu" or maybe "shell extensions". If no option
exists,
| > then you'll have to uninstall the app in Add/Remove programs.
| >
| > I do know Winzip and AVG. Assuming the new version of AVG, open the
program
| > by double-clicking the icon in the system tray. Click on the "Shell
Extension"
| > box, and click the "Deactivate" button at the bottom. For Winzip,
open the
| > program > Options > Configurations > System(tab) > uncheck "Use
shell
| > extension". Of course you'll probably have to reboot to test each
one, and
| > you'll probably want to re-enable at least AVG and Winzip when

| > >> |

| > I would do that first. If it works it'll save you a lot of hassle..
| >

| > "BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > > Bill, your suggestion (seconded by PCR) about looking for what
menu items
| > > (especially third party) are in the menut when right-clicking does
make
| > > sense. I paid attention to it and was surprised to see all the
options
| > > available.
| > > I realize that right-clicking on the icons on the Desktop or on
any file
| > > will bring out some unique options, but certain files do show a
seemingly
| > > high number of them, such as: Open - Print - Quick View -
Decode - Scan for
| > > viruses - What's This? - Add to Zip - WinZip - Erase - Scan with
AVG free
| > > plus the typical ones: Send to - Cut - Copy - Create Sortcut -
Delete -
| > > Rename - Properties.
| > > The expanded WinZip shows: still more options.
| > > Are there any easy ways to disable some of these options, at least
for
| > > locating the culprit, if there is one?

Files"

| > >> |

| > >> |
| > >> |
| > >> |
| > >> |
Temporary

| > >> |
| > >> |

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 7:50:02 AM

System.dat consists of 9,981,988 Bytes .
User.dat has 1,366,468 Bytes.
The sum total....... well over the 9MB in size for Scanreg /Fix to work!
Suggestions from the Article:
1.• Restart the computer to a command prompt. To do so, restart your
computer, press and hold down the
CTRL key until the Windows 98 Startup menu appears, and then choose Command
Prompt Only. Then,
run Scanreg.exe with the /fix or /restore switch.
*** No success ***
2. • Rename the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files, restart your computer,
press and hold down the CTRL
key until the Windows 98 Startup menu appears, and then choose Command
Prompt Only. Then, run
Scanreg.exe with the /fix or /restore switch. After you run Scanreg.exe
rename your Autoexec.bat and
Config.sys files to their original names. For information about how to
rename a file, click Start, click Help,
click the Index tab, type renaming, and then double-click the "Renaming
files" topic.
*** No success ***
3. • Load all devices and terminate-and-stay resident programs (TSRs) in
upper memory, restart your
computer, press and hold down the CTRL key until the Windows 98 Startup menu
appears, and then choose Command Prompt Only. Then, run Scanreg.exe with the
/fix or /restore switch.
*** I was not sure about how to terminate the TSRs and did not try this.
Some time back I downloaded RegCleaner (Copyright 199902991 Jouni Vuorio and
RegSeeker. RegCleaner reports a high number of entries that could be
resolved. Have had no guts to go ahead with it. Might this be helpful?
Thank you for your time!

"PCR" wrote:

> [...]
> exists,
> | > then you'll have to uninstall the app in Add/Remove programs.
> | >
> | > I do know Winzip and AVG. Assuming the new version of AVG, open the
> program
> | > by double-clicking the icon in the system tray. Click on the "Shell
> Extension"
> | > box, and click the "Deactivate" button at the bottom. For Winzip,
> open the
> | > program > Options > Configurations > System(tab) > uncheck "Use
> shell
> | > extension". Of course you'll probably have to reboot to test each
> one, and
> | > you'll probably want to re-enable at least AVG and Winzip when
> you're done.
> | >
> | > Have you tried scanreg yet?

> | > >> |

> | > I would do that first. If it works it'll save you a lot of hassle..

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 6:46:48 AM

As far as that article, your best hope was renaming Autoexec.bat &
Config.sys. After that, you had no TSRs at all, if ever you did. Step 3
made no sense then.

Well, I wouldn't like it, but it appears the Registry functions well
large, because it isn't regularly processed in a linear manner. Also, no
one knows precisely what Scanreg/Fix fixes, anyhow.

But, one cure is to try to uninstall large apps or to prevent them from
using the Registry as a database. IE, for instance, keeps it "managed
sites" there, visible at "Internet Options, Privacy tab, Edit button".
That could be hard to do, especially if you have more than one user
profile. Another cure is to fresh install, which also has it's pitfalls
but probably is best.

--

> [...]
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | Bill, I have tried to run scanreg /fix from the DOS
Prompt.
| > | It all appeared to work well until toward the end when it stopped
at
| > 98%
| > | reconstruction(?) stage of the System Files. At that time an error
box
| > popped
| > | up saying: Windows found an error in your system files and was
unable
| > to fix
| > | the problem. Try deleting some files to free up disk space on your
| > Windows
| > | drive. If that doesn't work then you will need to install Windows
| > |
| > | What does it mean by Windows drive.....the Hard Disk or the
Windows
| > Folder?
| > | As far as disk space, there is 21GB plus of unused space. At any
rate
| > I did
| > | move several non-system files from the Windows Directory (Folder)
and
| > tried
| > | to run scanreg /fix again. Same results. I even tried to restore a
| > 4-day
| > | earlier registry before attempting to run it for the third time.
This
| > time it
| > | stopped at 92%.
| > | I ran scanreg /opt once. Not sure if did any good.
| > |
| > | Regarding the menu options:
| > | -Erase got into the act when I installed Erase downloaded from
| > | http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ Freeware.
| > | -Scan for Viruses has never worked. The claim is that there in no
| > associated
| > | program with it, without
| > | saying what program. There are several entries in the Registry
about
| > | virusscan, but, to my knowledge,
| > | there is no apparent file in the Drive.
| > | -What’s This? No idea of what it is or where it came from.
| > | ------
| > |
| > |
| > | "Bill Blanton" wrote:
| > |
| > Rename,
| > problem
| > this?"

| > that out.
| > exists,

| > program
| > Extension"
Winzip,
| > open the
| > shell
| > one, and
| > you're done.

| > | > >> |

| > menu items
| > make
| > options
| > any file
| > seemingly
| > Decode - Scan for
| > AVG free
| > Delete -
| > for

Internet
| > Files"

| > "Tempor~2"...

| > | > >> |
| > file; look
| > programs
| > don't, you

| > | > >> |
| > | > >> |
| > | > >> |
| > | > >> |
| > deleted -need to
| > the /a
IE5
| > Temporary
| > location
C:\Windows\Tempor~2\Content.IE5
| > am not
| > matter.

| > | > >> |
| > | > >> |

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 7:26:02 AM

PCR, I took a chance, yesterday, at using RegCleaner and RegSeeker and allow
deletion of the findings. I thought that, if things would have gone badly, I
could always use scanreg /restore. I know that the restore process has worked
for me without fail.
After taking those steps, I rebooted and checked the size of System.dat and
User.dat. Neither had changed from what they had been, 9,981,988 and
1,384,480 Bytes, respectively.
I then ran Scanreg /Fix and it worked. The Files sizes came down to
7,786,528 and 917,536 Bytes. On the second run, they decreased a bit more to
7,770,114 and 905,248 Bytes.
No change following the third run.
So far, there appears to be no problem, other than the one with the
Visioneer Software for a Flatbed Scanner. The System prompted me to reinstall
the Software, but it still came up with errors that I was experiencing before
the Registry Fix. The delay in right-click is still there.
Anyway, the registry should be a lot cleaner (?) and the delay is no big
problem.
Thank you for all your help?
--------------------

"PCR" wrote:

> [...]
> or
> | > /restore switch, you may receive an "out of memory" error message.
> You
> | > may also receive this error message when Scanreg.exe creates a
> backup
> | > copy of the registry during Windows startup.
> | >
> | > To see how large yours is...
> | >
> | > (1) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
> | > (2) DIR C:\Windows\System.dat /a
> | > (3) DIR C:\Windows\User.dat /a
> | >
> | > Now, add them up...
> | >
> | > C:\>DIR C:\Windows\System.dat /a
> | > Directory of C:\WINDOWS
> | > SYSTEM DAT 5,468,192 05-18-05 2:54p SYSTEM.DAT
> | > 1 file(s) 5,468,192 bytes
> | >
> | > C:\>DIR C:\Windows\User.dat /a
> | > Directory of C:\WINDOWS
> | > USER DAT 684,064 05-18-05 2:54p USER.DAT
> | > 1 file(s) 684,064 bytes
> | >
> | > I add up to about 6 MB, & /Fix works fine for me.

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 5:00:32 PM

Wow. That was a good plan, knowing /Restore could rescue you. Seems you
have survived, although I guess some app might some day protest when
some obscure option in it is used.

It is surprising that you were able to rid 3 MB of Registry that way.
I'm puzzled how nothing seemed to change after the first reboot. At that
point, an auto Scanreg /Opt should have kicked in to trim waste matter
(items deleted but still taking space in the .dats). It seems /Fix did
work on a Registry whose .dat size was still over 11 MBs, but much of it
was waste matter, not really there. Scanreg /Opt or /Fix actually do the
physical removal, not delete. Delete just causes the deleted items to
become inaccessible to normal Registry processing.

Well, good work! Glad to hear it!

--
> [...]
| > | files" topic.
| > | *** No success ***
| > | 3. • Load all devices and terminate-and-stay resident
programs
| > (TSRs) in
| > | upper memory, restart your
| > | computer, press and hold down the CTRL key until the Windows 98
| > Startup menu
| > | appears, and then choose Command Prompt Only. Then, run
Scanreg.exe
| > with the
| > | /fix or /restore switch.
| > | *** I was not sure about how to terminate the TSRs and did not try
| > this.
| > | Some time back I downloaded RegCleaner (Copyright 199902991 Jouni
| > Vuorio and
| > | RegSeeker. RegCleaner reports a high number of entries that could
be
| > | resolved. Have had no guts to go ahead with it. Might this be
| > |
| > | "PCR" wrote:
| > |
| > unless