Canon Users - Do You Believe????

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 10, 2005 10:48:00 PM

How many people out their believe in using 3rd party inks? If so what
is your brand, printer, paper and your experience with them. How long
have you been using them and how often do you print. How many of you
have had problems with print clogging the head, fading, lower quality
print results?

How much of a mess is it to refill cartridges and how long does it
take. How can you tell when the tank is running low without having to
remove the cart and inspect is physically?

If you only print every couple of weeks with you have a clogging problem
with non factory ink? I have no problems now with my Canon Pixma IP4000
but spending half of what you paid for the printer for ink is high.
Also spending $75 for a print head is out of line when I just saw the
IP4000 for a net price of $100 at Frys after a $30 instant rebate plus a
$20 mail in rebate.

More about : canon users

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 10:48:01 PM

I use 3rd party ink in all four of our Canon printers with no more
problems than I found using Canon's brand. After using three sets of
cartridges you will have saved enough to buy a new printer. Other than
maybe the possibility of Canon ink providing more fade resistant prints
I can't see any reason to pay their high prices. I get the cartridges
for $1.70 each shipped to my door so for me it isn't worth the hassles
to refill.

measekite wrote:
> How many people out their believe in using 3rd party inks? If so what
> is your brand, printer, paper and your experience with them. How long
> have you been using them and how often do you print. How many of you
> have had problems with print clogging the head, fading, lower quality
> print results?
>
> How much of a mess is it to refill cartridges and how long does it
> take. How can you tell when the tank is running low without having to
> remove the cart and inspect is physically?
>

> If you only print every couple of weeks with you have a clogging problem
> with non factory ink? I have no problems now with my Canon Pixma IP4000
> but spending half of what you paid for the printer for ink is high.
> Also spending $75 for a print head is out of line when I just saw the
> IP4000 for a net price of $100 at Frys after a $30 instant rebate plus a
> $20 mail in rebate.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 5:17:53 AM

Can U pls furnish a link to ur supplier ?
cheers-Herb.

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
> I use 3rd party ink in all four of our Canon printers with no more
> problems than I found using Canon's brand. After using three sets of
> cartridges you will have saved enough to buy a new printer. Other than
> maybe the possibility of Canon ink providing more fade resistant prints
> I can't see any reason to pay their high prices. I get the cartridges
> for $1.70 each shipped to my door so for me it isn't worth the hassles
> to refill.
>
> measekite wrote:
>
>> How many people out their believe in using 3rd party inks? If so what
>> is your brand, printer, paper and your experience with them. How long
>> have you been using them and how often do you print. How many of you
>> have had problems with print clogging the head, fading, lower quality
>> print results?
>>
>> How much of a mess is it to refill cartridges and how long does it
>> take. How can you tell when the tank is running low without having to
>> remove the cart and inspect is physically?
>>

>> If you only print every couple of weeks with you have a clogging
>> problem with non factory ink? I have no problems now with my Canon
>> Pixma IP4000 but spending half of what you paid for the printer for
>> ink is high. Also spending $75 for a print head is out of line when I
>> just saw the IP4000 for a net price of $100 at Frys after a $30
>> instant rebate plus a $20 mail in rebate.

February 11, 2005 5:17:54 AM

It is an ebay seller. I suggest sending them a message at
wiredbeans@hotmail.com and placing an order for the exact number and
color of cartridges you need. Also, you can still pay through Paypal.
I rarely need the same number of each color since our photo printer use
six ink tanks (i9100 & i960) and ordering this way allows me to mix and
match quantities and colors. I got the best price by doing this instead
of bidding through ebay. I order about 50 cartridges at once to keep
the per unit cost low. Here's a link to their ebay listings for Canon
compatible cartridges: http://tinyurl.com/52c6k

Their cartridges have a 25% larger ink reservoir than most others so you
get more prints per cartridge. I can personally confirm the reservoirs
are noticeably larger than OEM Canon cartridges. As for the print
quality, I can't see much, if any, difference from the Canon ink.
Definitely not enough to justify six times the cost.

herbzee wrote:
> Can U pls furnish a link to ur supplier ?
> cheers-Herb.
>
> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
>
>> I use 3rd party ink in all four of our Canon printers with no more
>> problems than I found using Canon's brand. After using three sets of
>> cartridges you will have saved enough to buy a new printer. Other
>> than maybe the possibility of Canon ink providing more fade resistant
>> prints I can't see any reason to pay their high prices. I get the
>> cartridges for $1.70 each shipped to my door so for me it isn't worth
>> the hassles to refill.
>>
>> measekite wrote:
>>
>>> How many people out their believe in using 3rd party inks? If so
>>> what is your brand, printer, paper and your experience with them.
>>> How long have you been using them and how often do you print. How
>>> many of you have had problems with print clogging the head, fading,
>>> lower quality print results?
>>>
>>> How much of a mess is it to refill cartridges and how long does it
>>> take. How can you tell when the tank is running low without having
>>> to remove the cart and inspect is physically?
>>>

>>> If you only print every couple of weeks with you have a clogging
>>> problem with non factory ink? I have no problems now with my Canon
>>> Pixma IP4000 but spending half of what you paid for the printer for
>>> ink is high. Also spending $75 for a print head is out of line when
>>> I just saw the IP4000 for a net price of $100 at Frys after a $30
>>> instant rebate plus a $20 mail in rebate.

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 6:34:44 AM

If you have any notion of color management why would you buy non-standard
inks?
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 6:34:45 AM

bmoag wrote:
> If you have any notion of color management why would you buy non-standard
> inks?

To save a boat load of money is a real good reason. In reality the
color difference is negligable. Anyone that is that picky about color
management can adjust the weighting of the individual ink tanks in the
printer driver to produce the results they prefer.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 7:50:23 AM

"bmoag" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in
news:o JVOd.3034$lz5.2611@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net:

> If you have any notion of color management why would you buy
> non-standard inks?

Few people who buy inkjets have any use or need for precise color
management or color science. For many of us, we can afford the
printer but can't afford the Canon cartridges that hold "two spoonfuls" of
ink and cost as much as the printer almost.

The several non-Canon inks I've tried deviate infinitismally little from
the so called "Canon standard", certainly not enough to justify me paying
up to 20 times the price. Yes, 20 times. I can fill my own cartridges for
under $5 - a set! Bring on the savings, and I'll deal with any color
variations I may encounter. Not that I've had to.
February 11, 2005 1:28:11 PM

There is a very active yahoo group (see "Groups" from the Yahoo home page)
that deals exclusively with Canon inkjet printers. There are many, many
archived posts there about 3rd part inks used in Canons, including reports
and recommendations, and a few warnings. The general consensus, from what
I've seen, is that refilling (or even just buying refilled cartridges) works
very well for these printers and changes considerations of the price of ink
from being THE dominant factor to being almost no factor at all.

Go take a look.

> How many people out their believe in using 3rd party inks? If so what
> is your brand, printer, paper and your experience with them. How long
> have you been using them and how often do you print. How many of you
> have had problems with print clogging the head, fading, lower quality
> print results?
>
> How much of a mess is it to refill cartridges and how long does it
> take. How can you tell when the tank is running low without having to
> remove the cart and inspect is physically?
>

> If you only print every couple of weeks with you have a clogging problem
> with non factory ink? I have no problems now with my Canon Pixma IP4000
> but spending half of what you paid for the printer for ink is high.
> Also spending $75 for a print head is out of line when I just saw the
> IP4000 for a net price of $100 at Frys after a $30 instant rebate plus a
> $20 mail in rebate.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 10:01:27 PM

Where do you buy them from?

What brand are they?

How frequently do you print?

Any problem at all with clogging?

How long have you been using non Canon brand ink?

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:

> I use 3rd party ink in all four of our Canon printers with no more
> problems than I found using Canon's brand. After using three sets of
> cartridges you will have saved enough to buy a new printer. Other
> than maybe the possibility of Canon ink providing more fade resistant
> prints I can't see any reason to pay their high prices. I get the
> cartridges for $1.70 each shipped to my door so for me it isn't worth
> the hassles to refill.
>
> measekite wrote:
>
>> How many people out their believe in using 3rd party inks? If so
>> what is your brand, printer, paper and your experience with them.
>> How long have you been using them and how often do you print. How
>> many of you have had problems with print clogging the head, fading,
>> lower quality print results?
>>
>> How much of a mess is it to refill cartridges and how long does it
>> take. How can you tell when the tank is running low without having
>> to remove the cart and inspect is physically?
>>

>> If you only print every couple of weeks with you have a clogging
>> problem with non factory ink? I have no problems now with my Canon
>> Pixma IP4000 but spending half of what you paid for the printer for
>> ink is high. Also spending $75 for a print head is out of line when
>> I just saw the IP4000 for a net price of $100 at Frys after a $30
>> instant rebate plus a $20 mail in rebate.

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 10:01:28 PM

measekite wrote:
> Where do you buy them from?

Check my reply to herbzee for the answer.

> What brand are they?

See above.

> How frequently do you print?

I print on one of the printers almost daily. My wife prints quite a few
photos since she is into scrap booking. Aside from the i9100 and i960
we have an MP780 and an N2000. I only use the N2000 for printing
Autocad half size drawings and the MP780 for mainly faxes and the odd
web page etc. I also ave an HP 2100M that I use for most black and
white printing on letter size and smaller.

> Any problem at all with clogging?

I've only had any issues with the i9100 regarding clogging and, IMO, it
hasn't been any worse than you would see with Canon cartridges. Also,
it is the most used printer in the house. I use the air can method of
unclogging the heads that really works great. I take the head out and
blow compressed air into the ink feed hole. Be sure to cover the
nozzles with a paper towel of you will have a mess on your hands.

> How long have you been using non Canon brand ink?

For about a year. This is how long we have had the i9100 and it was our
first Canon printer. The i960 has had compatibles in it from day one.
I still have the original Canon OEM's sitting on my desk. It has never
clogged and sometimes sets for over a week between printing sessions.

> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
>
>> I use 3rd party ink in all four of our Canon printers with no more
>> problems than I found using Canon's brand. After using three sets of
>> cartridges you will have saved enough to buy a new printer. Other
>> than maybe the possibility of Canon ink providing more fade resistant
>> prints I can't see any reason to pay their high prices. I get the
>> cartridges for $1.70 each shipped to my door so for me it isn't worth
>> the hassles to refill.
>>
>> measekite wrote:
>>
>>> How many people out their believe in using 3rd party inks? If so
>>> what is your brand, printer, paper and your experience with them.
>>> How long have you been using them and how often do you print. How
>>> many of you have had problems with print clogging the head, fading,
>>> lower quality print results?
>>>
>>> How much of a mess is it to refill cartridges and how long does it
>>> take. How can you tell when the tank is running low without having
>>> to remove the cart and inspect is physically?
>>>

>>> If you only print every couple of weeks with you have a clogging
>>> problem with non factory ink? I have no problems now with my Canon
>>> Pixma IP4000 but spending half of what you paid for the printer for
>>> ink is high. Also spending $75 for a print head is out of line when
>>> I just saw the IP4000 for a net price of $100 at Frys after a $30
>>> instant rebate plus a $20 mail in rebate.

February 11, 2005 10:01:29 PM

In article <j7idnbHxIYBgkZDfRVn-2A@comcast.com>, cds@erols.com says...
> For about a year. This is how long we have had the i9100 and it was our
> first Canon printer. The i960 has had compatibles in it from day one.
> I still have the original Canon OEM's sitting on my desk. It has never
> clogged and sometimes sets for over a week between printing sessions.

I can add to this:

I have a Canon i959 and 2 Canon i960's as well as an ip4000.

The i950 and the 960s have sat unused for up to 2 months at a time, and all I
do is run a cleaning cycle on them before printing after a "lay off" like
that.

The ip4000 hasnt been idle for more than a day since I bought it. Its been
through 4 sets of 3rd party refilled carts, and not a skip or a clog.

I use the 4000 a lot as its quite fast and does duplexing, so I dont need to
use a Photo Printer for daily documents.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

What about clogging? How often do you print?

AMcLean wrote:

>"bmoag" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in
>news:o JVOd.3034$lz5.2611@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net:
>

>>If you have any notion of color management why would you buy
>>non-standard inks?
>>

>Few people who buy inkjets have any use or need for precise color
>management or color science. For many of us, we can afford the
>printer but can't afford the Canon cartridges that hold "two spoonfuls" of
>ink and cost as much as the printer almost.
>
>The several non-Canon inks I've tried deviate infinitismally little from
>the so called "Canon standard", certainly not enough to justify me paying
>up to 20 times the price. Yes, 20 times. I can fill my own cartridges for
>under $5 - a set! Bring on the savings, and I'll deal with any color
>variations I may encounter. Not that I've had to.

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 10:18:56 PM

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:

> I use 3rd party ink in all four of our Canon printers with no more
> problems than I found using Canon's brand. After using three sets of
> cartridges you will have saved enough to buy a new printer. Other
> than maybe the possibility of Canon ink providing more fade resistant
> prints I can't see any reason to pay their high prices. I get the
> cartridges for $1.70 each shipped to my door so for me it isn't worth
> the hassles to refill.
>
> measekite wrote:
>
>> How many people out their believe in using 3rd party inks? If so
>> what is your brand, printer, paper and your experience with them.
>> How long have you been using them and how often do you print. How
>> many of you have had problems with print clogging the head, fading,
>> lower quality print results?
>>
>> How much of a mess is it to refill cartridges and how long does it
>> take. How can you tell when the tank is running low without having
>> to remove the cart and inspect is physically?
>>

>> If you only print every couple of weeks with you have a clogging
>> problem with non factory ink? I have no problems now with my Canon
>> Pixma IP4000 but spending half of what you paid for the printer for
>> ink is high. Also spending $75 for a print head is out of line when
>> I just saw the IP4000 for a net price of $100 at Frys after a $30
>> instant rebate plus a $20 mail in rebate.

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 11:01:38 PM

This is herbzee, I HAVE NOT seen this:
"Check my reply to herbzee for the answer."
stillooking, pls repeat. Thanx,cheers-Herb.

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
> measekite wrote:
>
>> Where do you buy them from?
>

> Check my reply to herbzee for the answer.
>
>> What brand are they?
>

> See above.
>
>> How frequently do you print?
>

> I print on one of the printers almost daily. My wife prints quite a few
> photos since she is into scrap booking. Aside from the i9100 and i960
> we have an MP780 and an N2000. I only use the N2000 for printing
> Autocad half size drawings and the MP780 for mainly faxes and the odd
> web page etc. I also ave an HP 2100M that I use for most black and
> white printing on letter size and smaller.
>
>> Any problem at all with clogging?
>

> I've only had any issues with the i9100 regarding clogging and, IMO, it
> hasn't been any worse than you would see with Canon cartridges. Also,
> it is the most used printer in the house. I use the air can method of
> unclogging the heads that really works great. I take the head out and
> blow compressed air into the ink feed hole. Be sure to cover the
> nozzles with a paper towel of you will have a mess on your hands.
>
>> How long have you been using non Canon brand ink?
>

> For about a year. This is how long we have had the i9100 and it was our
> first Canon printer. The i960 has had compatibles in it from day one. I
> still have the original Canon OEM's sitting on my desk. It has never
> clogged and sometimes sets for over a week between printing sessions.
>
>> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
>>
>>> I use 3rd party ink in all four of our Canon printers with no more
>>> problems than I found using Canon's brand. After using three sets of
>>> cartridges you will have saved enough to buy a new printer. Other
>>> than maybe the possibility of Canon ink providing more fade resistant
>>> prints I can't see any reason to pay their high prices. I get the
>>> cartridges for $1.70 each shipped to my door so for me it isn't worth
>>> the hassles to refill.

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 11:01:39 PM

Here is my response to your post:

herbzee wrote:
> This is herbzee, I HAVE NOT seen this:
> "Check my reply to herbzee for the answer."
> stillooking, pls repeat. Thanx,cheers-Herb.
>
> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
>
>> measekite wrote:
>>
>>> Where do you buy them from?
>>

>> Check my reply to herbzee for the answer.
>>
>>> What brand are they?
>>

>> See above.
>>
>>> How frequently do you print?
>>

>> I print on one of the printers almost daily. My wife prints quite a
>> few photos since she is into scrap booking. Aside from the i9100 and
>> i960 we have an MP780 and an N2000. I only use the N2000 for printing
>> Autocad half size drawings and the MP780 for mainly faxes and the odd
>> web page etc. I also ave an HP 2100M that I use for most black and
>> white printing on letter size and smaller.
>>
>>> Any problem at all with clogging?
>>

>> I've only had any issues with the i9100 regarding clogging and, IMO,
>> it hasn't been any worse than you would see with Canon cartridges.
>> Also, it is the most used printer in the house. I use the air can
>> method of unclogging the heads that really works great. I take the
>> head out and blow compressed air into the ink feed hole. Be sure to
>> cover the nozzles with a paper towel of you will have a mess on your
>> hands.
>>
>>> How long have you been using non Canon brand ink?
>>

>> For about a year. This is how long we have had the i9100 and it was
>> our first Canon printer. The i960 has had compatibles in it from day
>> one. I still have the original Canon OEM's sitting on my desk. It has
>> never clogged and sometimes sets for over a week between printing
>> sessions.

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 11:05:18 PM

herbzee has not seen a reply.

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>
>> Where do you buy them from?
>

> Check my reply to herbzee for the answer.
>
>> What brand are they?
>

> See above.
>
>> How frequently do you print?
>

> I print on one of the printers almost daily. My wife prints quite a few
> photos since she is into scrap booking. Aside from the i9100 and i960
> we have an MP780 and an N2000. I only use the N2000 for printing
> Autocad half size drawings and the MP780 for mainly faxes and the odd
> web page etc. I also ave an HP 2100M that I use for most black and
> white printing on letter size and smaller.
>
>> Any problem at all with clogging?
>

> I've only had any issues with the i9100 regarding clogging and, IMO, it
> hasn't been any worse than you would see with Canon cartridges. Also,
> it is the most used printer in the house. I use the air can method of
> unclogging the heads that really works great. I take the head out and
> blow compressed air into the ink feed hole. Be sure to cover the
> nozzles with a paper towel of you will have a mess on your hands.
>
>> How long have you been using non Canon brand ink?
>

> For about a year. This is how long we have had the i9100 and it was our
> first Canon printer. The i960 has had compatibles in it from day one. I
> still have the original Canon OEM's sitting on my desk. It has never
> clogged and sometimes sets for over a week between printing sessions.
>
>> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
>>
>>> I use 3rd party ink in all four of our Canon printers with no more
>>> problems than I found using Canon's brand. After using three sets of
>>> cartridges you will have saved enough to buy a new printer. Other
>>> than maybe the possibility of Canon ink providing more fade resistant
>>> prints I can't see any reason to pay their high prices. I get the
>>> cartridges for $1.70 each shipped to my door so for me it isn't worth
>>> the hassles to refill.

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 3:40:46 AM

What 3rd party ink do you use in the IP4000 and where do you get it?

Do you use 3rd party carts or do the pain in the butt refill your self
(messy)?

Is the results as good?

What about fading?

Larry wrote:

>In article <j7idnbHxIYBgkZDfRVn-2A@comcast.com>, cds@erols.com says...
>

>>For about a year. This is how long we have had the i9100 and it was our
>>first Canon printer. The i960 has had compatibles in it from day one.
>>I still have the original Canon OEM's sitting on my desk. It has never
>>clogged and sometimes sets for over a week between printing sessions.
>>

>I can add to this:
>
>I have a Canon i959 and 2 Canon i960's as well as an ip4000.
>
>The i950 and the 960s have sat unused for up to 2 months at a time, and all I
>do is run a cleaning cycle on them before printing after a "lay off" like
>that.
>
>The ip4000 hasnt been idle for more than a day since I bought it. Its been
>through 4 sets of 3rd party refilled carts, and not a skip or a clog.
>
>I use the 4000 a lot as its quite fast and does duplexing, so I dont need to
>use a Photo Printer for daily documents.

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 7:23:01 AM

If you look at the archives for this newsgroup or do a Google search you'll
see this has been discussed over and over. I have several Canon printers
(s820's, i950, iP4000) that I refill on a regular basis. I've used
Sensient-Formulabs ink from alotofthings.com for a couple of years and the
results have been excellent. No fading and reference sheets made using this
ink and OEM Canon ink show no detectible difference. Prior to using
Formulabs ink I used ink from MIS (inksupply.com) and atlascopy.com. Both of
those inks also preformed quite well. I've also purchased third party
cartridges from alothofthings.com and tylermartin.com. Results from these
tanks were excellent and once empty were put into my refill rotation.
Clogging has not been a problem with any of the above products. Refilling is
quick and easy with Canon tanks and done properly (using a little common
sense) is not messy.

You point about the original printer cost compared to refilling is quite
valid. Purchase a set of refill supplies at about $50 and after your third
refill, the cost of the bulk ink and the initial printer cost is completely
covered. Anything after that and you are saving approximately $60 each time
you refill an entire set. BTW, even if you do have to purchase a new printer
now and then as a result of a damaged printhead caused by refills (which is
not likely to happen since refilling using quality inks has not been shown
to be a cause of printhead failures) the cost savings from refilling will
more than cover a replacement unit. Don't forget the new printer would also
have a full set of OEM tanks which is worth about $60 so the net cost of a
new iP4000 would only be about $40 using the prices you quoted below.

The key thing to remember is that refilling requires the use of quality inks
and not a generic or universal ink. Review the newsgroup and you'll see
recommendations for several suppliers. I prefer Sensient-Formulabs ink from
alotofthings.com because of its low cost and quality output, but I'm only
one voice. Other users are happy with weinks.com, inkjetgoodies.com,
atlascopy.com, inksupply.com, and many more I can't think of. Send me a
private email and I'll send you a pdf file that I made showing how easy it
is to refill Canon ink cartridges.
--
Ron Cohen

!