Microsoft Updates Windows 8 Before Final Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I will not allow you to make my computer into a giant phone. Not buying, my life doesnt revolve around social network websites.

aoneone

May 27, 2011
hehe and guess what? torrents will be ready for windows 8 as well and So will I. Just so you know, why bother spending 300 -500 of your hard earned dollars? Corporations are just faceless entities so in reality, you're not hurting anyone ^_^ Trust me.. muahahaha

G

retarded people like sd619tech are so funny.

The update works amazingly well. Windows 8 was already better than Windows 7 from the battery life point of view, and the update seems to try and make it even better.

The updated apps feel more responsive and fluid which is always good. Power off time was also reduced. The system boots up in about 7 seconds on Wind8 instead of almost a minute on Win7, but before the update turning them off took about as long.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]DG[/nom]retarded people like sd619tech are so funny.The update works amazingly well. Windows 8 was already better than Windows 7 from the battery life point of view, and the update seems to try and make it even better.The updated apps feel more responsive and fluid which is always good. Power off time was also reduced. The system boots up in about 7 seconds on Wind8 instead of almost a minute on Win7, but before the update turning them off took about as long.[/citation]

all well and good, but they want to force the tablet and phone user interface down out throats while gimping the standard ui...

ushyperion

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
[citation][nom]sd619tech[/nom]I will not allow you to make my computer into a giant phone. [/citation]

Made my day. I am testing Windows 8 now for a few weeks. And the start menu is oke*.
If they only made it stay. Right now when i click on a other screen the start menu is gone =(.

*Only for users with 3 or more screens. (4 will do awesome) 1 screen for start and the rest for normal windows.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
these updates are not incorporated in the final RTM or "gold code" build but will be available through windows update. Are these really "improvements" or just last minute fixes to sloppy half-baked codes?

ushyperion

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]hehe and guess what? torrents will be ready for windows 8 as well and So will I. Just so you know, why bother spending 300 -500 of your hard earned dollars? Corporations are just faceless entities so in reality, you're not hurting anyone ^_^ Trust me.. muahahaha[/citation]

I agree. I will download it via NewsGroups. I pay to download so i find it legal.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]DG[/nom]retarded people like sd619tech are so funny.The update works amazingly well. Windows 8 was already better than Windows 7 from the battery life point of view, and the update seems to try and make it even better.The updated apps feel more responsive and fluid which is always good. Power off time was also reduced. The system boots up in about 7 seconds on Wind8 instead of almost a minute on Win7, but before the update turning them off took about as long.[/citation]
What an ignorant comment. Let me put it in perspective for you.

1. I use a desktop, how does battery life matter to me?
2. Does it really make any, and I mean any difference how quickly my computer loads? Firstly, from the instant I press the power button to the moment I can open Firefox is about 9 seconds under Windows 7. How you were getting more than 60 seconds is beyond me... Even when when I had a HDD as the system drive, it was no more than 15 seconds. So I call your BS on that or you have a crappy system.
3. If an update make an OS feel more "responsive and fluid", I can assure you that there is a major problem with the core code - no update should ever make an OS so much better that the user can actually, notice the difference, unless the patch fixed some sort of critical flaw, but again, you clearly have some issues with telling time seeing that you stated that Windows 7 takes over a minute to boot...

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]What an ignorant comment. Let me put it in perspective for you.1. I use a desktop, how does battery life matter to me?2. Does it really make any, and I mean any difference how quickly my computer loads? Firstly, from the instant I press the power button to the moment I can open Firefox is about 9 seconds under Windows 7. How you were getting more than 60 seconds is beyond me... Even when when I had a HDD as the system drive, it was no more than 15 seconds. So I call your BS on that or you have a crappy system.3. If an update make an OS feel more "responsive and fluid", I can assure you that there is a major problem with the core code - no update should ever make an OS so much better that the user can actually, notice the difference, unless the patch fixed some sort of critical flaw, but again, you clearly have some issues with telling time seeing that you stated that Windows 7 takes over a minute to boot...[/citation]

Not everyone has an SSD.

I just recently upgraded to an SSD and can see the bootup times are much faster, however, with a standard harddrive, it would typically take my computer a few minutes from Windows 7 Flash screen to loading all my taskbar and notification icons (antivirus, steam, etc).
I say you booting up in 15 seconds is simply over exaggerating (for an HDD). Your 9 second claim is way faster than what my Vertex 4 takes (when you take into account POST and windows flash screen and then desktop. Once the desktop is visible, then it may take 9 seconds to load everything and access my browser, but to say it takes 9 seconds from turning on to full Desktop is exaggeration...

Sorry to say, I call BS on your claims.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ushyperion[/nom]I agree. I will download it via NewsGroups. I pay to download so i find it legal.[/citation]
Yea not even close to legal, your justification is bad :p

DeadNetwork

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
I'm not happy at all with Windows 8. This is an OS that is meant for a tablet or some form of touch screen device, not my mouse. And updates a month before debut? I just don't feel right about it.

Source: Running Windows 8 in VMware Player

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]deadnetwork[/nom]I'm not happy at all with Windows 8. This is an OS that is meant for a tablet or some form of touch screen device, not my mouse. And updates a month before debut? I just don't feel right about it.Source: Running Windows 8 in VMware Player[/citation]

Welcome to IT.. Everyone whining and bitching about change need to remember these words, "Adapt or die." If you chose the latter then good for me, I chose to adapt. Let me know if the below line looks familiar, and seems comical to you.

"You'll never need more than 640K of memory"

Now replace that with "You will never need anything greater than windows 7" or "You will never need touch sensors on a desktop."

Plug your kinect into your windows 8 rtm box and you will see what Microsoft has planned. Honestly, I can hardly wait.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Yea not even close to legal, your justification is bad[/citation]
That's not a justification, that's just dumb.
Paying for piracy: the other guy is doing it wrong.

Still, I kinda agree on the original post, I dont see why is that bad to take things from huge financial groups. I mean, come on, not everyone is willing to pay extra for something that can perfectly work (given prior research about the method of authentication) with a pirate copy and also reduce budget on parts that actually matter. I know I am not. Im pretty sure that many readers of this site work on 'illegitimate' copies of Windows as well. Be honest, guys.

@Article: Well I think its great! Any improvements are welcome for W8 IMHO. Considering that it is already quite useful for resource-limited machines, further improve that is good news. However, the unavoidable truth is that for MANY users, including me, the product Microsoft offers is more like a toy rather than a workstation. Some comments above reflected that, the thing is a giant smartphone, more like a little girl's social networking machine rather than a ... how to say it, powerhouse simple-UI system with everything developed towards power users.

Aww man, that's what I love of Linux... its just no BS interface, no damn advertising-packed ecosystem, just the muscle of the kernel.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Win8 may be bad but the future will be worse:http://news.yahoo.com/microsoft-ce [...] nance.html[/citation]
The market spoke. The market likes Apple it's only logical for other companies to follow their path because there's more profit there. That said, they better not f*ck the Surface up. They better price it well

jdwii

Splendid
Why are people saying it boots so fast when i had it, it was like 6 or 9 sec's faster and it still took time to click on the desktop icon instead of all that other crap it was like windows still had things to load when i clicked on the desktop icon.

[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Welcome to IT.. Everyone whining and bitching about change need to remember these words, "Adapt or die." If you chose the latter then good for me, I chose to adapt. Let me know if the below line looks familiar, and seems comical to you."You'll never need more than 640K of memory"Now replace that with "You will never need anything greater than windows 7" or "You will never need touch sensors on a desktop."Plug your kinect into your windows 8 rtm box and you will see what Microsoft has planned. Honestly, I can hardly wait.[/citation]

Thankyou!!!! I deal with this every day with all the Linux people that volunteer at my work. "linux will take over" "Linux is better" "Windows is too expensive" " Win8 is dumb". Seriously, it is little wonder why I have a job and they are job hunting.

Win8 have some issues? absolutely! Are they critical design flaws? generally no.
The OS is tight, efficient, works equally well on gutless mobile platforms as it does on beefy multi-screen monsters (provided you have 2GB of ram), and when you have a touch screen or some form of gesture support via a newer style mouse/touchpad, or a device like leapmotion or kinnect it becomes amazingly obvious that this OS is actually very good at supporting an extremely wide variety of input sources (wish that voice commands were better though). And what's more is that I do not feel gimped at all when using a traditional keyboard and mouse with the one exception of the rt. click context menu coming up from the bottom of the screen instead of a traditional context menu, everything else is a good experience with mouse and keys.

At any rate, the point is that you need to learn not only windows8, but also OSX, iOS, WP7/8, Android, and a few Linux distros if you want to get a job these days. There are simply too many devices, and to be honest the days of a sysadmin having any say at all in what hardware is used are entirely gone. Learn it, learn to love the finer points of all, and find tools to help with the failings of every OS.

All that said, the big update screwed up 2 of the 6 machines that I have been testing win8 on. The laptops were fine, wife's PC was fine, and my test bench rig was fine. But my big i7 rig has some issues now, as does the example PC I have at work. I think it is a simply driver issue, but I have not had time to really get into it yet. Like I said, win8 is pretty good... but not without some issues.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Windows 8 doesn't boot faster than Windows 7 because Windows 8 shut down doesn't completely power off machine like Windows 7 shutdown. Windows 8 shut down is more like Widows 7 hibernation.

Windows 8 doesn't have a single feature worth upgrading over Windows 7. Windows 8 is broken OS on laptops and desktops UI wise. MS is clearly targeting Tablet and Phone market with Windows 8 and guess what don't even care about it. They are so obsessed with Apple that i see Windows 8 begining of end of Microsoft. Btw touch is not future way of computing but virtual reality.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
I think Valve saw what i see and they see Linux as ultimate platform for majority of people...bye bye MS and Apple and your bullshit. Can't wait for Steam on Linux so i can ditch Windows completely.

DeadNetwork

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Welcome to IT.. Everyone whining and bitching about change need to remember these words, "Adapt or die." If you chose the latter then good for me, I chose to adapt. Let me know if the below line looks familiar, and seems comical to you."You'll never need more than 640K of memory"Now replace that with "You will never need anything greater than windows 7" or "You will never need touch sensors on a desktop."Plug your kinect into your windows 8 rtm box and you will see what Microsoft has planned. Honestly, I can hardly wait.[/citation]

A small percentage of people adapted to Windows 6. They simple went from XP to 7. Again, a small percentage of people will adapt to Windows 8. It is designed for tablets, not the office environment. Adapting? Yes, for now I choose to adapt to Ubuntu 12 because of the horrible GUI of Windows 8. :)

Source: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.