Safe Mode - speed of operation

Safe Mode appears to be a lot slower than normal mode when running, for
example, Scandisk, installing programs or doing a spyware check. Why is
this - assuming this is normal? I expected that, with no background
programs running, Safe Mode would turn out to be at least as fast as normal
mode.

Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about safe mode speed operation

    "Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > Safe Mode appears to be a lot slower than normal mode when running,
    > for example, Scandisk, installing programs or doing a spyware check.
    > Why is this - assuming this is normal? I expected that, with no
    > background programs running, Safe Mode would turn out to be at least
    > as fast as normal mode.
    >
    > Thanks.

    In safe mode all unnessesary drivers are not loaded. The advanced IDE
    drivers aren't loaded too. In '98 the harddisk is running via BIOS
    functions, which are slow.

    Many thanks for that.

    Martin

    "Ingeborg" <a@b.invalid> wrote in message
    > "Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Safe Mode appears to be a lot slower than normal mode when running,
    > > for example, Scandisk, installing programs or doing a spyware check.
    > > Why is this - assuming this is normal? I expected that, with no
    > > background programs running, Safe Mode would turn out to be at least
    > > as fast as normal mode.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > In safe mode all unnessesary drivers are not loaded. The advanced IDE
    > drivers aren't loaded too. In '98 the harddisk is running via BIOS
    > functions, which are slow.

Safe Mode Microsoft Spyware Windows