Safe Mode - speed of operation

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
May 10, 2005 8:21:19 PM

Safe Mode appears to be a lot slower than normal mode when running, for
example, Scandisk, installing programs or doing a spyware check. Why is
this - assuming this is normal? I expected that, with no background
programs running, Safe Mode would turn out to be at least as fast as normal
mode.

Thanks.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 8:21:20 PM

"Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Safe Mode appears to be a lot slower than normal mode when running,
> for example, Scandisk, installing programs or doing a spyware check.
> Why is this - assuming this is normal? I expected that, with no
> background programs running, Safe Mode would turn out to be at least
> as fast as normal mode.
>
> Thanks.

In safe mode all unnessesary drivers are not loaded. The advanced IDE
drivers aren't loaded too. In '98 the harddisk is running via BIOS
functions, which are slow.
May 10, 2005 11:04:08 PM

Many thanks for that.

Martin