himem.sys - error

upon booting my windows 98 machine, I see this error as windows is loading -
however, windows continues to load and I am typically abel to operate fine,
barring some performance issues (and occassional lock-ups). I was curious if
there is a way to replace the potentially corrupt himem.sys file with a clean
version - and if so, how to do that.

the main reason I think it is affecting the computer's performance is that I
am getting buffer underrun errors every time that I attempt to burn a cd
(didn't have the problem prior to seeing this error). Any help would be
greatly appreciated.
14 answers Last reply
More about himem error

    one additional note - under this error message, there is another message
    saying there is an error with config.sys line 23 - if that means anything to
    you guys.

    like I said before - the computer still functions, but I think this error is
    hendering some functions and I'd like to try and find a way to fix. thanks!

    "MattW" <MattW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > one additional note - under this error message, there is another message
    > saying there is an error with config.sys line 23 - if that means anything

    Standard implementations of Win98 do not require
    CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT (i.e. do not require
    any of the DOS functions they execute.) Try renaming
    these two something else and reboot.

    > > upon booting my windows 98 machine, I see this error as windows is
    > > however, windows continues to load and I am typically abel to operate
    fine,
    > > barring some performance issues (and occassional lock-ups). I was
    curious if
    > > there is a way to replace the potentially corrupt himem.sys file with a
    clean
    > > version - and if so, how to do that.

    HIMEM.SYS is no more potentially corrupt than any
    other file on your hard drive. That said, Win98 requires
    this file to load Windows, and failure to read HIMEM.SYS
    is the commonest sort of boot error. Just keep a copy
    handy on your DOS boot floppy and recopy it to C:\Windows
    if the need arises.

    > > the main reason I think it is affecting the computer's performance is
    that I
    > > am getting buffer underrun errors every time that I attempt to burn a cd
    > > (didn't have the problem prior to seeing this error). Any help would be
    > > greatly appreciated.

    It is more likely you may be trying to run your CD burner too
    fast, or perhaps you have not loaded the most up to date
    drivers (from the vendor's web site.)

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    "MattW" <MattW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >upon booting my windows 98 machine, I see this error as windows is loading -
    >however, windows continues to load and I am typically abel to operate fine,
    >barring some performance issues (and occassional lock-ups). I was curious if
    >there is a way to replace the potentially corrupt himem.sys file with a clean
    >version - and if so, how to do that.

    Please provide the complete *verbatim* text of the himem.sys error
    message. It may be indicating a problem elsewhere in the computer.

    If himem.sys itself was damaged in any way or was missing then your
    computer would not boot into Windows as himem.sys is an essential file
    for the startup.

    >the main reason I think it is affecting the computer's performance is that I
    >am getting buffer underrun errors every time that I attempt to burn a cd
    >(didn't have the problem prior to seeing this error). Any help would be
    >greatly appreciated.

    Let's see what the himem.sys error message is actually about first.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    MattW wrote:
    > one additional note - under this error message, there is another message
    > saying there is an error with config.sys line 23 - if that means anything to
    > you guys.
    >
    > like I said before - the computer still functions, but I think this error is
    > hendering some functions and I'd like to try and find a way to fix. thanks!

    Well if your config.sys has 23 lines or more that says a lot about your
    problem. Windows 98SE should not have much loaded in config.sys or
    autoexec.bat if you want it to function correctly.

    For example there are CDROM drivers, in Windows 95 they will be fine and
    maybe even CD won't work without them being in config.sys but in Windows
    98SE, a CDROM driver in config.sys will give the system migranes and
    there will be memory conflicts (lock-ups, reboots and other odd behaviour).

    Send us the content of your config.sys and autoexec.bat files if it's
    not a violation of your privacy and we'll help you clean them up.

    --
    Model: INFJ
    Primary function: Coprocessor

    "Even a child who is pure at heart
    And does his homework neatly
    May become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms
    And the moon is full, completely."

    The exact error message at boot reads:
    The following file is missing or corrupted: "C:\Windwos\System\Himem.sys"
    There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on Line 23

    As I said, the machine still runs somewhat ok, but has been freezing up at
    least once a day and programs that require a good deal of memory seem to not
    work well (one being cd-burning). I have had this machine for 3+ years (Dell
    Dimesnsion 8100 - 256MB RAM) and has been operating fine (as well as burning
    cds) for a while. This is a new problem.

    errors at any speed, from cd to cd -and- from hard drive to cd.

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > "MattW" <MattW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >upon booting my windows 98 machine, I see this error as windows is loading -
    > >however, windows continues to load and I am typically abel to operate fine,
    > >barring some performance issues (and occassional lock-ups). I was curious if
    > >there is a way to replace the potentially corrupt himem.sys file with a clean
    > >version - and if so, how to do that.
    >
    > Please provide the complete *verbatim* text of the himem.sys error
    > message. It may be indicating a problem elsewhere in the computer.
    >
    > If himem.sys itself was damaged in any way or was missing then your
    > computer would not boot into Windows as himem.sys is an essential file
    > for the startup.
    >

    > >the main reason I think it is affecting the computer's performance is that I
    > >am getting buffer underrun errors every time that I attempt to burn a cd
    > >(didn't have the problem prior to seeing this error). Any help would be
    > >greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Let's see what the himem.sys error message is actually about first.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    "MattW" <MattW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >The exact error message at boot reads:
    >The following file is missing or corrupted: "C:\Windwos\System\Himem.sys"
    >There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on Line 23
    >
    >As I said, the machine still runs somewhat ok, but has been freezing up at
    >least once a day and programs that require a good deal of memory seem to not
    >work well (one being cd-burning). I have had this machine for 3+ years (Dell
    >Dimesnsion 8100 - 256MB RAM) and has been operating fine (as well as burning
    >cds) for a while. This is a new problem.

    >errors at any speed, from cd to cd -and- from hard drive to cd.

    Line 23 in your config.sys, which reads:

    device=c:\windwos\system\himem.sys

    is incorrect and should be removed or modified to read:

    device=c:\windows\himem.sys

    The himem.sys file is in your \windows folder, not \windows\system.

    There is actually little need to load himem.sys from your config.sys
    file in most circumstances. Windows will load the file automatically
    a bit later in the startup process if it was not loaded by a command
    in the config.sys file.

    You only need to load it via the config.sys file in the following
    situations:
    1. You are loading another driver via the config.sys file, such as
    emm386.exe, that requires himem.sys to be already loaded and present.
    2. You want to change something about himem.sys from the default
    setting, such as having it do a memory test by adding the /testmem=on
    parameter to the command line.

    A 23 (or more) line config.sys file would seem to be a fair bit of
    overkill for Windows 98. Can you post the contents of the file back
    here? Just open the file using Notepad then copy the contents and
    paste them into a reply.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Config.sys file reads:

    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
    REM [Header]

    REM [CD-ROM Drive]

    REM [Miscellaneous]

    REM [SCSI Controllers]

    REM [Display]

    REM [Sound, MIDI, or Video Capture Card]

    REM [Mouse]
    REM ------------------

    DOS=HIGH
    FILES=120
    BUFFERS=80
    DEVICE="C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HIMEM.SYS"

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > "MattW" <MattW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >The exact error message at boot reads:
    > >The following file is missing or corrupted: "C:\Windwos\System\Himem.sys"
    > >There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on Line 23
    > >
    > >As I said, the machine still runs somewhat ok, but has been freezing up at
    > >least once a day and programs that require a good deal of memory seem to not
    > >work well (one being cd-burning). I have had this machine for 3+ years (Dell
    > >Dimesnsion 8100 - 256MB RAM) and has been operating fine (as well as burning
    > >cds) for a while. This is a new problem.

    > >errors at any speed, from cd to cd -and- from hard drive to cd.
    > >

    > Line 23 in your config.sys, which reads:
    >
    > device=c:\windwos\system\himem.sys
    >
    > is incorrect and should be removed or modified to read:
    >
    > device=c:\windows\himem.sys
    >
    > The himem.sys file is in your \windows folder, not \windows\system.
    >
    > There is actually little need to load himem.sys from your config.sys
    > file in most circumstances. Windows will load the file automatically
    > a bit later in the startup process if it was not loaded by a command
    > in the config.sys file.
    >
    > You only need to load it via the config.sys file in the following
    > situations:
    > 1. You are loading another driver via the config.sys file, such as
    > emm386.exe, that requires himem.sys to be already loaded and present.
    > 2. You want to change something about himem.sys from the default
    > setting, such as having it do a memory test by adding the /testmem=on
    > parameter to the command line.
    >
    > A 23 (or more) line config.sys file would seem to be a fair bit of
    > overkill for Windows 98. Can you post the contents of the file back
    > here? Just open the file using Notepad then copy the contents and
    > paste them into a reply.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    "MattW" <MattW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Config.sys file reads:
    >
    >DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    >DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
    >REM [Header]
    >
    >REM [CD-ROM Drive]
    >
    >REM [Miscellaneous]
    >
    >REM [SCSI Controllers]
    >
    >REM [Display]
    >
    >REM [Sound, MIDI, or Video Capture Card]
    >
    >REM [Mouse]
    >REM ------------------
    >
    >DOS=HIGH
    >FILES=120
    >BUFFERS=80
    >DEVICE="C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HIMEM.SYS"

    You can reduce the config.sys file to just the following lines:

    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
    DOS=HIGH
    FILES=120

    *******

    The REM lines are all just comments
    The buffers= line is obsolete in Windows 98 and has no effect or
    value.
    And as previously stated the DEVICE="C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HIMEM.SYS" is
    invalid, which is why you were getting the error message.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron
    as you stated, I can reduce my config.sys file to read as you described. To
    do so, do I simply edit the config.sys file in notepad, then save it and
    problem should be resolved? Thanks.

    > Ron
    > as you stated, I can reduce my config.sys file to read as you described.
    > do so, do I simply edit the config.sys file in notepad, then save it and
    > problem should be resolved? Thanks.

    You can use Notepad, or you can use SYSEDIT
    or MSCONFIG, both of which are designed
    to support this function.

    "MattW" <MattW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Ron
    >as you stated, I can reduce my config.sys file to read as you described. To
    >do so, do I simply edit the config.sys file in notepad, then save it and
    >problem should be resolved? Thanks.

    Yup.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 11:16:06 -0700, "MattW"

    >upon booting my windows 98 machine, I see this error as windows is loading

    "HiMem.sys - error", but specifically, what? That HiMem has detected
    bad RAM, or that HiMem.sys could not be found?

    >however, windows continues to load and I am typically abel to operate fine,
    >barring some performance issues (and occassional lock-ups).

    The lockups suggest all is not well, and fits with "HiMem detected bad
    RAM at address..." reporting. Normally, HiMem.sys doesn't check RAM
    (as it did in MS-DOS days) unless you are booting Safe Mode, as
    happens by default if the previous Windows session failed to boot.

    >I was curious if there is a way to replace the potentially corrupt himem.sys
    >file with a clean version - and if so, how to do that.

    Extract /A from the OS .CAB set would do that.

    >the main reason I think it is affecting the computer's performance is that I
    >am getting buffer underrun errors every time that I attempt to burn a cd
    >(didn't have the problem prior to seeing this error). Any help would be
    >greatly appreciated.

    RAM errors don't cause performance issues or burning underrun errors,
    but a sick HD can do both, as well as corrupt files such as HiMem.sys

    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/bthink.htm refers.

    Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com
    >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 21:59:22 +0200, Jure Sah
    >MattW wrote:

    >Well if your config.sys has 23 lines or more that says a lot about your
    >problem. Windows 98SE should not have much loaded in config.sys or
    >autoexec.bat if you want it to function correctly.

    Yes and no, in that 23 lines doesn't mean 23 meaningful statements, or
    any real-mode code driver loads at all. Some systems have Config.sys
    and Autoexec.bat that are long, but contain only REMmed-out statements
    and a lot of empty line padding.

    >For example there are CDROM drivers, in Windows 95 they will be fine and
    >maybe even CD won't work without them being in config.sys but in Windows
    >98SE, a CDROM driver in config.sys will give the system migranes and
    >there will be memory conflicts (lock-ups, reboots and other odd behaviour).

    What is supposed to happen is that Win9x ignores real-mode CD-ROM
    driver loads, if it recognises them as such. Win95xx and Win98xx are
    likely to behave exactly the same way with respect to this, though a
    PC old enough to use the original Win95 may have a pre-IDE CD.

    Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com

Windows 98 Performance Windows