himem.sys - error

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 10, 2005 3:16:06 PM

upon booting my windows 98 machine, I see this error as windows is loading -
however, windows continues to load and I am typically abel to operate fine,
barring some performance issues (and occassional lock-ups). I was curious if
there is a way to replace the potentially corrupt himem.sys file with a clean
version - and if so, how to do that.

the main reason I think it is affecting the computer's performance is that I
am getting buffer underrun errors every time that I attempt to burn a cd
(didn't have the problem prior to seeing this error). Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

More about : himem sys error

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 3:32:06 PM

one additional note - under this error message, there is another message
saying there is an error with config.sys line 23 - if that means anything to
you guys.

like I said before - the computer still functions, but I think this error is
hendering some functions and I'd like to try and find a way to fix. thanks!

"MattW" wrote:

> upon booting my windows 98 machine, I see this error as windows is loading -
> however, windows continues to load and I am typically abel to operate fine,
> barring some performance issues (and occassional lock-ups). I was curious if
> there is a way to replace the potentially corrupt himem.sys file with a clean
> version - and if so, how to do that.
>
> the main reason I think it is affecting the computer's performance is that I
> am getting buffer underrun errors every time that I attempt to burn a cd
> (didn't have the problem prior to seeing this error). Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 8:17:58 PM

"MattW" <MattW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> one additional note - under this error message, there is another message
> saying there is an error with config.sys line 23 - if that means anything

Standard implementations of Win98 do not require
CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT (i.e. do not require
any of the DOS functions they execute.) Try renaming
these two something else and reboot.

> > upon booting my windows 98 machine, I see this error as windows is
> > however, windows continues to load and I am typically abel to operate
fine,
> > barring some performance issues (and occassional lock-ups). I was
curious if
> > there is a way to replace the potentially corrupt himem.sys file with a
clean
> > version - and if so, how to do that.

HIMEM.SYS is no more potentially corrupt than any
other file on your hard drive. That said, Win98 requires
this file to load Windows, and failure to read HIMEM.SYS
is the commonest sort of boot error. Just keep a copy
handy on your DOS boot floppy and recopy it to C:\Windows
if the need arises.

> > the main reason I think it is affecting the computer's performance is
that I
> > am getting buffer underrun errors every time that I attempt to burn a cd
> > (didn't have the problem prior to seeing this error). Any help would be
> > greatly appreciated.

It is more likely you may be trying to run your CD burner too
fast, or perhaps you have not loaded the most up to date
drivers (from the vendor's web site.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

"MattW" <MattW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>upon booting my windows 98 machine, I see this error as windows is loading -
>however, windows continues to load and I am typically abel to operate fine,
>barring some performance issues (and occassional lock-ups). I was curious if
>there is a way to replace the potentially corrupt himem.sys file with a clean
>version - and if so, how to do that.

Please provide the complete *verbatim* text of the himem.sys error
message. It may be indicating a problem elsewhere in the computer.

If himem.sys itself was damaged in any way or was missing then your
computer would not boot into Windows as himem.sys is an essential file
for the startup.

>the main reason I think it is affecting the computer's performance is that I
>am getting buffer underrun errors every time that I attempt to burn a cd
>(didn't have the problem prior to seeing this error). Any help would be
>greatly appreciated.

Let's see what the himem.sys error message is actually about first.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 1:59:22 AM

MattW wrote:
> one additional note - under this error message, there is another message
> saying there is an error with config.sys line 23 - if that means anything to
> you guys.
>
> like I said before - the computer still functions, but I think this error is
> hendering some functions and I'd like to try and find a way to fix. thanks!

Well if your config.sys has 23 lines or more that says a lot about your
problem. Windows 98SE should not have much loaded in config.sys or
autoexec.bat if you want it to function correctly.

For example there are CDROM drivers, in Windows 95 they will be fine and
maybe even CD won't work without them being in config.sys but in Windows
98SE, a CDROM driver in config.sys will give the system migranes and
there will be memory conflicts (lock-ups, reboots and other odd behaviour).

Send us the content of your config.sys and autoexec.bat files if it's
not a violation of your privacy and we'll help you clean them up.

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor

"Even a child who is pure at heart
And does his homework neatly
May become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms
And the moon is full, completely."
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 9:55:25 AM

The exact error message at boot reads:
The following file is missing or corrupted: "C:\Windwos\System\Himem.sys"
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on Line 23

As I said, the machine still runs somewhat ok, but has been freezing up at
least once a day and programs that require a good deal of memory seem to not
work well (one being cd-burning). I have had this machine for 3+ years (Dell
Dimesnsion 8100 - 256MB RAM) and has been operating fine (as well as burning
cds) for a while. This is a new problem.

errors at any speed, from cd to cd -and- from hard drive to cd.

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "MattW" <MattW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >upon booting my windows 98 machine, I see this error as windows is loading -
> >however, windows continues to load and I am typically abel to operate fine,
> >barring some performance issues (and occassional lock-ups). I was curious if
> >there is a way to replace the potentially corrupt himem.sys file with a clean
> >version - and if so, how to do that.
>
> Please provide the complete *verbatim* text of the himem.sys error
> message. It may be indicating a problem elsewhere in the computer.
>
> If himem.sys itself was damaged in any way or was missing then your
> computer would not boot into Windows as himem.sys is an essential file
> for the startup.
>

> >the main reason I think it is affecting the computer's performance is that I
> >am getting buffer underrun errors every time that I attempt to burn a cd
> >(didn't have the problem prior to seeing this error). Any help would be
> >greatly appreciated.
>
> Let's see what the himem.sys error message is actually about first.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 10:34:57 PM

"MattW" <MattW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The exact error message at boot reads:
>The following file is missing or corrupted: "C:\Windwos\System\Himem.sys"
>There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on Line 23
>
>As I said, the machine still runs somewhat ok, but has been freezing up at
>least once a day and programs that require a good deal of memory seem to not
>work well (one being cd-burning). I have had this machine for 3+ years (Dell
>Dimesnsion 8100 - 256MB RAM) and has been operating fine (as well as burning
>cds) for a while. This is a new problem.

>errors at any speed, from cd to cd -and- from hard drive to cd.

Line 23 in your config.sys, which reads:

device=c:\windwos\system\himem.sys

is incorrect and should be removed or modified to read:

device=c:\windows\himem.sys

The himem.sys file is in your \windows folder, not \windows\system.

There is actually little need to load himem.sys from your config.sys
file in most circumstances. Windows will load the file automatically
a bit later in the startup process if it was not loaded by a command
in the config.sys file.

You only need to load it via the config.sys file in the following
situations:
1. You are loading another driver via the config.sys file, such as
emm386.exe, that requires himem.sys to be already loaded and present.
2. You want to change something about himem.sys from the default
setting, such as having it do a memory test by adding the /testmem=on
parameter to the command line.

A 23 (or more) line config.sys file would seem to be a fair bit of
overkill for Windows 98. Can you post the contents of the file back
here? Just open the file using Notepad then copy the contents and
paste them into a reply.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 10:34:58 PM

Config.sys file reads:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
REM [Header]

REM [CD-ROM Drive]

REM [Miscellaneous]

REM [SCSI Controllers]

REM [Display]

REM [Sound, MIDI, or Video Capture Card]

REM [Mouse]
REM ------------------

DOS=HIGH
FILES=120
BUFFERS=80
DEVICE="C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HIMEM.SYS"

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "MattW" <MattW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >The exact error message at boot reads:
> >The following file is missing or corrupted: "C:\Windwos\System\Himem.sys"
> >There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on Line 23
> >
> >As I said, the machine still runs somewhat ok, but has been freezing up at
> >least once a day and programs that require a good deal of memory seem to not
> >work well (one being cd-burning). I have had this machine for 3+ years (Dell
> >Dimesnsion 8100 - 256MB RAM) and has been operating fine (as well as burning
> >cds) for a while. This is a new problem.

> >errors at any speed, from cd to cd -and- from hard drive to cd.
> >

> Line 23 in your config.sys, which reads:
>
> device=c:\windwos\system\himem.sys
>
> is incorrect and should be removed or modified to read:
>
> device=c:\windows\himem.sys
>
> The himem.sys file is in your \windows folder, not \windows\system.
>
> There is actually little need to load himem.sys from your config.sys
> file in most circumstances. Windows will load the file automatically
> a bit later in the startup process if it was not loaded by a command
> in the config.sys file.
>
> You only need to load it via the config.sys file in the following
> situations:
> 1. You are loading another driver via the config.sys file, such as
> emm386.exe, that requires himem.sys to be already loaded and present.
> 2. You want to change something about himem.sys from the default
> setting, such as having it do a memory test by adding the /testmem=on
> parameter to the command line.
>
> A 23 (or more) line config.sys file would seem to be a fair bit of
> overkill for Windows 98. Can you post the contents of the file back
> here? Just open the file using Notepad then copy the contents and
> paste them into a reply.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 10:34:58 PM

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "MattW" <MattW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >The exact error message at boot reads:
> >The following file is missing or corrupted: "C:\Windwos\System\Himem.sys"
> >There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on Line 23
> >
> >As I said, the machine still runs somewhat ok, but has been freezing up at
> >least once a day and programs that require a good deal of memory seem to not
> >work well (one being cd-burning). I have had this machine for 3+ years (Dell
> >Dimesnsion 8100 - 256MB RAM) and has been operating fine (as well as burning
> >cds) for a while. This is a new problem.

> >errors at any speed, from cd to cd -and- from hard drive to cd.
> >

> Line 23 in your config.sys, which reads:
>
> device=c:\windwos\system\himem.sys
>
> is incorrect and should be removed or modified to read:
>
> device=c:\windows\himem.sys
>
> The himem.sys file is in your \windows folder, not \windows\system.
>
> There is actually little need to load himem.sys from your config.sys
> file in most circumstances. Windows will load the file automatically
> a bit later in the startup process if it was not loaded by a command
> in the config.sys file.
>
> You only need to load it via the config.sys file in the following
> situations:
> 1. You are loading another driver via the config.sys file, such as
> emm386.exe, that requires himem.sys to be already loaded and present.
> 2. You want to change something about himem.sys from the default
> setting, such as having it do a memory test by adding the /testmem=on
> parameter to the command line.
>
> A 23 (or more) line config.sys file would seem to be a fair bit of
> overkill for Windows 98. Can you post the contents of the file back
> here? Just open the file using Notepad then copy the contents and
> paste them into a reply.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 11:58:21 PM

"MattW" <MattW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Config.sys file reads:
>
>DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
>DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
>REM [Header]
>
>REM [CD-ROM Drive]
>
>REM [Miscellaneous]
>
>REM [SCSI Controllers]
>
>REM [Display]
>
>REM [Sound, MIDI, or Video Capture Card]
>
>REM [Mouse]
>REM ------------------
>
>DOS=HIGH
>FILES=120
>BUFFERS=80
>DEVICE="C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HIMEM.SYS"

You can reduce the config.sys file to just the following lines:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
DOS=HIGH
FILES=120

*******

The REM lines are all just comments
The buffers= line is obsolete in Windows 98 and has no effect or
value.
And as previously stated the DEVICE="C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HIMEM.SYS" is
invalid, which is why you were getting the error message.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 3:24:01 PM

Ron
as you stated, I can reduce my config.sys file to read as you described. To
do so, do I simply edit the config.sys file in notepad, then save it and
problem should be resolved? Thanks.

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "MattW" <MattW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Config.sys file reads:
> >
> >DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
> >DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
> >REM [Header]
> >
> >REM [CD-ROM Drive]
> >
> >REM [Miscellaneous]
> >
> >REM [SCSI Controllers]
> >
> >REM [Display]
> >
> >REM [Sound, MIDI, or Video Capture Card]
> >
> >REM [Mouse]
> >REM ------------------
> >
> >DOS=HIGH
> >FILES=120
> >BUFFERS=80
> >DEVICE="C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HIMEM.SYS"
> >

> You can reduce the config.sys file to just the following lines:
>
> DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
> DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
> DOS=HIGH
> FILES=120
>
> *******
>
> The REM lines are all just comments
> The buffers= line is obsolete in Windows 98 and has no effect or
> value.
> And as previously stated the DEVICE="C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HIMEM.SYS" is
> invalid, which is why you were getting the error message.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 7:18:33 PM

> Ron
> as you stated, I can reduce my config.sys file to read as you described.
> do so, do I simply edit the config.sys file in notepad, then save it and
> problem should be resolved? Thanks.

You can use Notepad, or you can use SYSEDIT
or MSCONFIG, both of which are designed
to support this function.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 11:48:04 PM

"MattW" <MattW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Ron
>as you stated, I can reduce my config.sys file to read as you described. To
>do so, do I simply edit the config.sys file in notepad, then save it and
>problem should be resolved? Thanks.

Yup.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 1:09:33 AM

On Tue, 10 May 2005 11:16:06 -0700, "MattW"

>upon booting my windows 98 machine, I see this error as windows is loading

"HiMem.sys - error", but specifically, what? That HiMem has detected
bad RAM, or that HiMem.sys could not be found?

>however, windows continues to load and I am typically abel to operate fine,
>barring some performance issues (and occassional lock-ups).

The lockups suggest all is not well, and fits with "HiMem detected bad
RAM at address..." reporting. Normally, HiMem.sys doesn't check RAM
(as it did in MS-DOS days) unless you are booting Safe Mode, as
happens by default if the previous Windows session failed to boot.

>I was curious if there is a way to replace the potentially corrupt himem.sys
>file with a clean version - and if so, how to do that.

Extract /A from the OS .CAB set would do that.

>the main reason I think it is affecting the computer's performance is that I
>am getting buffer underrun errors every time that I attempt to burn a cd
>(didn't have the problem prior to seeing this error). Any help would be
>greatly appreciated.

RAM errors don't cause performance issues or burning underrun errors,
but a sick HD can do both, as well as corrupt files such as HiMem.sys

http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/bthink.htm refers.

Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com
>---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 1:13:26 AM

On Tue, 10 May 2005 21:59:22 +0200, Jure Sah
>MattW wrote:

>Well if your config.sys has 23 lines or more that says a lot about your
>problem. Windows 98SE should not have much loaded in config.sys or
>autoexec.bat if you want it to function correctly.

Yes and no, in that 23 lines doesn't mean 23 meaningful statements, or
any real-mode code driver loads at all. Some systems have Config.sys
and Autoexec.bat that are long, but contain only REMmed-out statements
and a lot of empty line padding.

>For example there are CDROM drivers, in Windows 95 they will be fine and
>maybe even CD won't work without them being in config.sys but in Windows
>98SE, a CDROM driver in config.sys will give the system migranes and
>there will be memory conflicts (lock-ups, reboots and other odd behaviour).

What is supposed to happen is that Win9x ignores real-mode CD-ROM
driver loads, if it recognises them as such. Win95xx and Win98xx are
likely to behave exactly the same way with respect to this, though a
PC old enough to use the original Win95 may have a pre-IDE CD.

!