RAM choice for Pentium D 940

Jagdpanther

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Given the recent price drop, I am considering upgrading from my current Pentium 4 Prescott 3.0E Ghz socket 478 to a Pentium D 940. I will probably wait for the new stepping to become avaliable.

For the Conroe / AM2 people I don't want to wait, this upgrade should give me enough of a performance boost.

As I got some photoshop and maya stuff I want to get 2 gigs of DDR2 preferably in the value range as I don't plan to overclock as least in the near future.

In terms of performance, would it be wiser to go for lower latency DDR2 - 533 rather than DDR2 - 667?

Also as I don't plan on overclocking in the near future, would it make much of a difference whether I spend more to get Corsair / OCZ / Kingston (same price) over Samsung memory?

Jagdpanther

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Not trying to shoot down your advice or anything but what does it offer in terms of performance v say Corsair, OCZ, DDR2 - 667? :?

All the reviews merely comment on shipping and ease of installation.

thanks

vulefu

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
If U dont plan to overclock you dont need crosair(overclocking one).

Its not so significant this or that ram.

But Crucial is world well known ram.

Jagdpanther

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Ok thanks.

How about low latency v higher speed? as in DDR2 - 533 v DDR2 - 667?
I know of the price difference but what of the performance difference?

thanks

Jagdpanther

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
ok thanks.

So in my case I should just go for DDR2 - 533 and a reasonable brand.

DDR2 - 533 v DDR2 - 667 would just be a few % difference that I probably won't notice?

If thats the case thanks a lot.

Krull

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2005
hi. if you will do any type of overclock goes to 667 cos all the chipset memory controller will allow you to use a highest ranks of dividers. if you aonly want large amount of ram (im not asking for the prupose) go for the cheapest.
here in barcelona(spain) it's easy to find kingstone valueram in most shops. i have mounted a large range of pc for my friends and never fails me. of course ar cheapest than every one performance ddr and think that kingstone have incorporate a line of 667 ddr2 ram to valueram line.(this option i thinks that could fill the two options that i have descrived.

see ya

TRENDING THREADS