msvcrt.dll

jorge

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001

IE keeps closing down with a message that it "... has encountered a problem
and needs to close...."

The error is in AppName ieexplorer.exe and ModName: msvcrt.dll.

What can I do?

98SE

Jorge

"Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
> IE keeps closing down with a message that it "... has encountered a
problem
> and needs to close...."
>
> The error is in AppName ieexplorer.exe and ModName: msvcrt.dll.
>
> What can I do?

Click on START and select RUN

Type MSINFO32 and click OK

Click on TOOLS and select
INTERNET EXPLORER REPAIR TOOL

jorge

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001

Thanks, but didn't solve it.

Most pages I open I keep getiing the same message.

I have run all sorts of Anti-virus but computer seems to be clean.

Any more ideas?

How do I restore a previous register?

I have done that in the past but can't remember anymore

Jorge

Jorge wrote:
> Thanks, but didn't solve it.
>
> Most pages I open I keep getiing the same message.
>
> I have run all sorts of Anti-virus but computer seems to be clean.
>
> Any more ideas?
>
> How do I restore a previous register?
>
> I have done that in the past but can't remember anymore

Does it crash immediately when you start it or upon visiting a website?
If it crashes immediately, what is your homepage?

Also, you might try simply using FireFox. If you have trouble
downloading it, ask and I'll mail it to you.

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor

"Even a child who is pure at heart
And does his homework neatly
May become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms
And the moon is full, completely."

jorge

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001

It crashes on opening some pages that I have in favourites, but also on
other pages I come up to for the first time. Sometimes some pages will
hold, but something is very strange

My homepage is Google but when the page crashes and I close the box that
comes up it defaults immediately to the Google page

Help...

Jorge

"Jure Sah" <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message
> Jorge wrote:
> > Thanks, but didn't solve it.
> >
> > Most pages I open I keep getiing the same message.
> >
> > I have run all sorts of Anti-virus but computer seems to be clean.
> >
> > Any more ideas?
> >
> > How do I restore a previous register?
> >
> > I have done that in the past but can't remember anymore
>
> Does it crash immediately when you start it or upon visiting a website?
> If it crashes immediately, what is your homepage?
>
> Also, you might try simply using FireFox. If you have trouble
> downloading it, ask and I'll mail it to you.
>
> --
> Model: INFJ
> Primary function: Coprocessor
> Secondary function: Cluster commander
>
> "Even a child who is pure at heart
> And does his homework neatly
> May become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms
> And the moon is full, completely."

Click Start> Find> Files or Folders, in the Named box, type: msvcrt.dll
Select the C:\ drive to search, and click Find Now.
How many copies of msvcrt.dll are found, and what are their locations?
Right-click each one found, click Properties, then the Version tab. Post back with
the version number of each copy found.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> It crashes on opening some pages that I have in favourites, but also on
> other pages I come up to for the first time. Sometimes some pages will
> hold, but something is very strange
>
> My homepage is Google but when the page crashes and I close the box that
> comes up it defaults immediately to the Google page
>

> Help...
>

> Jorge
>

> "Jure Sah" <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message
> > Jorge wrote:
> > > Thanks, but didn't solve it.
> > >
> > > Most pages I open I keep getiing the same message.
> > >
> > > I have run all sorts of Anti-virus but computer seems to be clean.
> > >
> > > Any more ideas?
> > >
> > > How do I restore a previous register?
> > >
> > > I have done that in the past but can't remember anymore
> >
> > Does it crash immediately when you start it or upon visiting a website?
> > If it crashes immediately, what is your homepage?
> >
> > Also, you might try simply using FireFox. If you have trouble
> > downloading it, ask and I'll mail it to you.
> >
> > --
> > Model: INFJ
> > Primary function: Coprocessor
> > Secondary function: Cluster commander
> >
> > "Even a child who is pure at heart
> > And does his homework neatly
> > May become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms
> > And the moon is full, completely."

jorge

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001

Hello Glen

I found several.

MyDownloaded files (5 entries all to do with my HP printer

5.00.7128
6.00.8337.0
6.00.8267.0
6.00.8797.0
6.00.8267.0

C\Windows\System

6.10.8293.0

C\ProgFiles\HP\Hp Print Screen Utility

6.10.8637.0

C\ProgFiles\Epson\EpsonSmartpanel (This has to do with my scanner)

5.00.7128

C\ProgFiles|ArcSoft|PanoramaMaker3

6.00.8797.0

I think (maybe) my problems started when I downloaded what I hoped to be
Nikon PictureProject from the following sites:

http://cameras-and-mp3-player.free-driver-download.com/Nikon/16721/Nikon-Digital-Camera-PictureProject-1.0-Windows-98SE-ME-2000-XP.html

http://cameras-and-mp3-players.freedrivers.us/Nikon/Nikon-Digital-Camera-PictureProject-1.0.1-Full-Version-Windows-98SE-ME-2000-XP.html

I have since removed the programs but maybe it deleted something needed for
IE

I have reinstalled IE and used MSInfo32\Tools|IE Repair Tool and scanned the
system with Ad-Aware, Housecall and my own resident McAfee and they found
nothing (although at one stage Ad_Aware after finding nothing, then found
Alexa.

I also have a previous message (at 13.09) about Mprexe.exe, which may be
related

Many, many thanks for your help.

I hope you can trace the problem.

regards

Jorge
> Click Start> Find> Files or Folders, in the Named box, type: msvcrt.dll
> Select the C:\ drive to search, and click Find Now.
> How many copies of msvcrt.dll are found, and what are their locations?
> Right-click each one found, click Properties, then the Version tab. Post
back with
> the version number of each copy found.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>

> "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
> > It crashes on opening some pages that I have in favourites, but also on
> > other pages I come up to for the first time. Sometimes some pages will
> > hold, but something is very strange
> >
> > My homepage is Google but when the page crashes and I close the box that
> > comes up it defaults immediately to the Google page
> >

> > Help...
> >

> > Jorge
> >

> > "Jure Sah" <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message

> > > Does it crash immediately when you start it or upon visiting a
website?
> > > If it crashes immediately, what is your homepage?
> > >
> > > Also, you might try simply using FireFox. If you have trouble
> > > downloading it, ask and I'll mail it to you.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Model: INFJ
> > > Primary function: Coprocessor
> > > Secondary function: Cluster commander
> > >
> > > "Even a child who is pure at heart
> > > And does his homework neatly
> > > May become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms
> > > And the moon is full, completely."

jorge

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001

Hi

I found something else

Now when I report the errors I get a MS page

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=efe3bc59-bed8-40b3-b830-bd72ce2439eb&SID=1490

That seems to confirm that the problem is with Msvcrt.dll

But the report refers to Millenium and I have 98SE

Help..

Jorge

> Click Start> Find> Files or Folders, in the Named box, type: msvcrt.dll
> Select the C:\ drive to search, and click Find Now.
> How many copies of msvcrt.dll are found, and what are their locations?
> Right-click each one found, click Properties, then the Version tab. Post
back with
> the version number of each copy found.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>

> "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
> > It crashes on opening some pages that I have in favourites, but also on
> > other pages I come up to for the first time. Sometimes some pages will
> > hold, but something is very strange
> >
> > My homepage is Google but when the page crashes and I close the box that
> > comes up it defaults immediately to the Google page
> >

> > Help...
> >

> > Jorge
> >

> > "Jure Sah" <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message

> > > Does it crash immediately when you start it or upon visiting a
website?
> > > If it crashes immediately, what is your homepage?
> > >
> > > Also, you might try simply using FireFox. If you have trouble
> > > downloading it, ask and I'll mail it to you.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Model: INFJ
> > > Primary function: Coprocessor
> > > Secondary function: Cluster commander
> > >
> > > "Even a child who is pure at heart
> > > And does his homework neatly
> > > May become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms
> > > And the moon is full, completely."

jorge

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001

Hi

Well, I followed the procedure to restore the original msvcrt.dll file and
all seems fine now.

The version seems to be a bit old 6.00.8397.0, but it works.

How can I upgrade it? Windows update did not come up with anything.

Thanks

Jorge

> Click Start> Find> Files or Folders, in the Named box, type: msvcrt.dll
> Select the C:\ drive to search, and click Find Now.
> How many copies of msvcrt.dll are found, and what are their locations?
> Right-click each one found, click Properties, then the Version tab. Post
back with
> the version number of each copy found.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>

> "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
> > It crashes on opening some pages that I have in favourites, but also on
> > other pages I come up to for the first time. Sometimes some pages will
> > hold, but something is very strange
> >
> > My homepage is Google but when the page crashes and I close the box that
> > comes up it defaults immediately to the Google page
> >

> > Help...
> >

> > Jorge
> >

> > "Jure Sah" <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message

> > > Does it crash immediately when you start it or upon visiting a
website?
> > > If it crashes immediately, what is your homepage?
> > >
> > > Also, you might try simply using FireFox. If you have trouble
> > > downloading it, ask and I'll mail it to you.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Model: INFJ
> > > Primary function: Coprocessor
> > > Secondary function: Cluster commander
> > >
> > > "Even a child who is pure at heart
> > > And does his homework neatly
> > > May become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms
> > > And the moon is full, completely."

If you are not having any problems or errors with that version, then you do not need
to update it. Your H-P programs have installed the versions they want in their own
folders, according to the info in your previous post (though I doubt anything uses
the copies in your folder named "MyDownloaded Files"). If you have MS Office, it
may install a newer version in the Windows\System folder, so if problems occur with
an Office app (if installed), a repair or reinstall of Office would take care of
that.

BTW, the MSKB article you were directed to applies to Win98 as well as ME (read the
entire title):
"A custom application that uses the C runtime (Msvcrt.dll) may unexpectedly quit on
a computer that is running Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 98, or Windows 95"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=895959
--

> Hi
>
> Well, I followed the procedure to restore the original msvcrt.dll file and
> all seems fine now.
>
> The version seems to be a bit old 6.00.8397.0, but it works.
>
> How can I upgrade it? Windows update did not come up with anything.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jorge

> > Click Start> Find> Files or Folders, in the Named box, type: msvcrt.dll
> > Select the C:\ drive to search, and click Find Now.
> > How many copies of msvcrt.dll are found, and what are their locations?
> > Right-click each one found, click Properties, then the Version tab. Post
> back with
> > the version number of each copy found.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
> >

> > "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
> > > It crashes on opening some pages that I have in favourites, but also on
> > > other pages I come up to for the first time. Sometimes some pages will
> > > hold, but something is very strange
> > >
> > > My homepage is Google but when the page crashes and I close the box that
> > > comes up it defaults immediately to the Google page
> > >

> > > Help...
> > >

> > > Jorge
> > >

> > > "Jure Sah" <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message

> website?

The system will use only one version of this file, but the particular one
that gets loaded depends on a number of things, not all of which you can
control. For instance, if your scanner was loading some module (such as a
systray app that detects when you push the copy button on the front of the
scanner) fairly early on in the boot procedure, then it's possible that the
really old version in the scanner folder was getting loaded, and this was
not good enough for some later application, which then caused the error.
However, if you were loading something else earlier in the boot process that
forced the system to look in the \System folder for the file, it would have
found the newer version and loaded that, with no subsequent error.

In other words, uninstalling an application (or simply removing it from the
startup process) can cause the wrong version to get loaded! It's good
practice to rename these older, private, versions of a common system file
(eg, msvcrt.dll.EPSON) so that there is only one copy in the system and you
know exactly which one is getting loaded.

If you want to upgrade it, rename the existing one in the \System folder,
and copy in the newest version you can find. You'll probably have to do
this from a DOS boot, as the file will be in use when Windows is running. If
the system errors, then boot back to DOS, remove the new file and change the
name of the renamed file back to standard.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)