Is there an EXTERNAL USB device that records DVD 2 Harddrive

dark-angel

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I have a ConvertX PX-tv402U. I bought it because the reviews said it could capture directly to DVD format. When I got it, it could directly capture to a blank DVD (albeit with some occas jerkiness and a dropped frame or 2).

What it can't do is code directly to DVD format to the hard drive so that I can edit the captured file (add chapters, etc). To get around this I have to take the native MPeg file and convert it to DVD format using Nero 7 which for a 3 hour video takes about 3 hours :cry:

Is there an external USB device that will record directly to the hard drive in DVD format?

ikaz

Distinguished
sounds like you are realy looking for software that will copy your DVD to your HD. Is that correct ?

I think you should try going to this site:

http://www.videohelp.com/

take a look around may have what you looking for

dark-angel

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
sounds like you are realy looking for software that will copy your DVD to your HD. Is that correct ?

I think you should try going to this site:

http://www.videohelp.com/

take a look around may have what you looking for

Actually, I'm trying to "Burn" in DVD format directly to hard drive while the show is playing live.

For example, I was watching a really cool show on drifting and it can record to my DVR, I used my external ConvertX to record to my Hard drive in MPeg while I'm watching the show live but then have to goto the hassle then post process the stuff to DVD format.

I could burn directly to a blank DVD +R but then I usually get dropped frames/jerky frames etc.

There is NO setting on the ConvertX to burn directly to DVD format according to their tech support. I'm just trying to figure out a way to skip the hassle of post processing in Nero 7.

Anyone know how to get around this?

avidday

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2005
If I understand you correctly, the short answer is no.

The big problem is that the MPEG2-PS specifications for DVD compatible VOB files are very strict. It is just about impossible to deterministically capture and encode MPEG2-PS on the fly to match the VOB specification in one pass. Normally a stream will require remultiplexing and padding to get it into a VOB compliant format. Three hours sounds does sound like a long time to remux an MPEG2-PS stream, though. With a fast CPU and HDD it is usually possible to remux at a few times real time speed. I don't use any of the software you are talking about so I can't help you with settings that might speed things up.