Un-installing KB891711 to install new version

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Windows Update
  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 12, 2005 1:59:27 AM

I have a friend who un-installed KB891711 from Add/Remove then went
to Windows Update for the new version but was informed it was
already installed. What else needs to be removed?
Anyone know?

Would appreciate any information.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

More about : installing kb891711 install version

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 2:24:02 AM

I've run into this, too, recently.

Download this update via Windows Update Catalog.
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/defaul...
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Bill Watt wrote:
> I have a friend who un-installed KB891711 from Add/Remove then went
> to Windows Update for the new version but was informed it was
> already installed. What else needs to be removed?
> Anyone know?
>
> Would appreciate any information.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Watt
> Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 2:45:15 AM

Press Ctrl+Alt+delete, and End task on Kb891711, if shown there.
Uninstall the update through Add\Remove Programs, then delete this folder, and all
its contents:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711

You should then be able to get the current version of 891711 through Windows Update.
If not, use PA bear's suggestion of getting it through the WU catalog.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message

> I have a friend who un-installed KB891711 from Add/Remove then went
> to Windows Update for the new version but was informed it was
> already installed. What else needs to be removed?
> Anyone know?
>
> Would appreciate any information.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Watt
> Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 1:49:43 AM

On Wed, 11 May 2005 21:59:27 -0400, Bill Watt <nobwatt@ptd.net>
wrote:

>I have a friend who un-installed KB891711 from Add/Remove then went
>to Windows Update for the new version but was informed it was
>already installed. What else needs to be removed?
>Anyone know?
>
>Would appreciate any information.

Robear and Glen, thanks for the info. I haven't heard back yet but
your suggestions should do it.

!