advice on an HP laserjet 6p

I have an HP LaserJet 6p (a little over 7 years old) and ink (shadowy print)
is finally beginning to streak when I print. (I print about 10 pages a
week.) I suspect the cartridge may finally need replacing. A replacement
cartridge costs about $75 (which I get for free because I have a gift card
from Office Depot).. Would I be better off buying a new printer in the
$150-$200 range?

I was given advice to buy a Samsung ML 1710 (?) for $80, other people say
just change to toner as the HP 6P is a sturdy model.
9 answers Last reply
More about advice laserjet

    In article <GQQOd.574$rB3.740176@twister.nyc.rr.com>, bullseye35
    @deletetheextrastuff says...
    > I have an HP LaserJet 6p (a little over 7 years old) and ink (shadowy print)
    > is finally beginning to streak when I print. (I print about 10 pages a
    > week.) I suspect the cartridge may finally need replacing. A replacement
    > cartridge costs about $75 (which I get for free because I have a gift card
    > from Office Depot).. Would I be better off buying a new printer in the
    > $150-$200 range?
    >
    > I was given advice to buy a Samsung ML 1710 (?) for $80, other people say
    > just change to toner as the HP 6P is a sturdy model.

    Have you ever removed the toner cartridge? I have one at work, and you
    can extend it a long time by simply removing it, tilting (not shaking)
    it around different axis, and then reinstalling it.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

    The LaserJet 6P is a great printer. You won't find anything to match it for
    $200.00 today. They don't build them like they used to! I own a LaserJet
    Series II, it has to be over 12 years old, and it is awesome! It always
    works. It's built like a battleship, weighs a ton and prints like the
    devil.

    "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message
    > I have an HP LaserJet 6p (a little over 7 years old) and ink (shadowy
    print)
    > is finally beginning to streak when I print. (I print about 10 pages a
    > week.) I suspect the cartridge may finally need replacing. A replacement
    > cartridge costs about $75 (which I get for free because I have a gift card
    > from Office Depot).. Would I be better off buying a new printer in the
    > $150-$200 range?
    >
    > I was given advice to buy a Samsung ML 1710 (?) for $80, other people say
    > just change to toner as the HP 6P is a sturdy model.

    "Andrew Rossmann" <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message
    <big snip>

    > Have you ever removed the toner cartridge? I have one at work, and you
    > can extend it a long time by simply removing it, tilting (not shaking)
    > it around different axis, and then reinstalling it.

    I have done that several times over the years.

    > --
    > If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before replying!
    > All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the
    > law!!
    > http://home.att.net/~andyross

    I have both an HP4 and a HP6p here in the office and wouldn't trade them for
    anything. Two real workhorses. As I recall the HP4 was around $1k and the
    HP6 cost about $700 (USD) when they were new. And if you got 7 years worth
    of use out of a toner cartridge, that amounts to about $11 per year in toner
    cost. Hard to beat - keep it and buy a cartridge. I'm sure if you look
    around on the net you can find them cheaper than $75.

    Bob S..

    "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message
    > I have an HP LaserJet 6p (a little over 7 years old) and ink (shadowy
    print)
    > is finally beginning to streak when I print. (I print about 10 pages a
    > week.) I suspect the cartridge may finally need replacing. A replacement
    > cartridge costs about $75 (which I get for free because I have a gift card
    > from Office Depot).. Would I be better off buying a new printer in the
    > $150-$200 range?
    >
    > I was given advice to buy a Samsung ML 1710 (?) for $80, other people say
    > just change to toner as the HP 6P is a sturdy model.

    Thanking all for your replies (and confirming the way I was leaning).

    What is the best way to perform routine maintenance then? I believe there
    are a few parts that I ought to clean to assure the printer continues to
    function properly. Is there a type of paper I can feed the printer for
    this? Do I need to do anything beyond what the manual recommends? (Also, I
    keep the back flap open to get my prints to come out straight instead of
    curling out to the top. Am I exposing the printer's innards to unnecessary
    dust?)

    bullseye wrote:

    > Thanking all for your replies (and confirming the way I was leaning).
    >
    > What is the best way to perform routine maintenance then? I believe there
    > are a few parts that I ought to clean to assure the printer continues to
    > function properly. Is there a type of paper I can feed the printer for
    > this? Do I need to do anything beyond what the manual recommends? (Also, I
    > keep the back flap open to get my prints to come out straight instead of
    > curling out to the top. Am I exposing the printer's innards to unnecessary
    > dust?)

    First, kudos for continuing to use that nice old printer. I recently
    acquired a LJ III and hope to fix its infeed jams so that I can junk a
    3-year-old Epson inkjet.

    I clean my lasers, PC keyboard and case with an hose adapter kit for
    house vacuum. Small hose, wands, and brush. Regarding lasers, lots of
    paper dust in a ream of paper, some of which stays in the printer. Also
    some toner, perhaps, and the occasional bit of paper. Vacuum it all
    out. My old IBM 4029 laser recommended cleaning the corona wire; I do
    that, but you must be *very* careful not to snag and break it. Other
    than vacuuming and final wiping, I do no other cleaning inside the
    printer.

    One important thing you can do for a printer - laser or otherwise - is
    to keep a dust cover over it when it's not in use. I use fitted vinyl
    covers made specifically for particular electronic test equipment (in a
    pinch I once used the vinyl cover for the exterior spare tire of a late
    model SUV), but even a low tech solution, a cardboard box, is much
    better than nothing.

    You can get a new HP brand cartridge on Ebay for $45
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32799&item=6742892991&rd=1

    Refills for $20 less

    bullseye wrote:
    > I have an HP LaserJet 6p (a little over 7 years old) and ink (shadowy print)
    > is finally beginning to streak when I print. (I print about 10 pages a
    > week.) I suspect the cartridge may finally need replacing. A replacement
    > cartridge costs about $75 (which I get for free because I have a gift card
    > from Office Depot).. Would I be better off buying a new printer in the
    > $150-$200 range?
    >
    > I was given advice to buy a Samsung ML 1710 (?) for $80, other people say
    > just change to toner as the HP 6P is a sturdy model.

    Having 14 years of great service from a very slow IBM 4019 dinosaur, I urge
    you to buy a new HP toner cartridge. I had to buy a cartridge every 2 or 3
    years. The two refurbished cartridges I bought were problems - I ended up
    throwing the first one away and buying a Lexmark, and the 2nd one concided
    with a terminal mechanical problem which was the demise of my 4019.

    I think it would have lasted forever with 1st quality toner cartridges given
    my limited printing needs.

    There is some benefit to my new Dell B/W laser with an ethernet connection.
    It is very much faster and supports Postscript, but I had no real complaints
    with the 4019. The print quality was subjectively better with the 4019.

    "Bennett Price" <bjpriceNOSPAM@itsa.ucsf.edu> wrote in message
    > You can get a new HP brand cartridge on Ebay for $45
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32799&item=6742892991&rd=1
    >
    > Refills for $20 less
    >
    > bullseye wrote:
    >> I have an HP LaserJet 6p (a little over 7 years old) and ink (shadowy
    >> print)
    >> is finally beginning to streak when I print. (I print about 10 pages a
    >> week.) I suspect the cartridge may finally need replacing. A
    >> replacement
    >> cartridge costs about $75 (which I get for free because I have a gift
    >> card
    >> from Office Depot).. Would I be better off buying a new printer in the
    >> $150-$200 range?
    >>
    >> I was given advice to buy a Samsung ML 1710 (?) for $80, other people say
    >> just change to toner as the HP 6P is a sturdy model.

    Thanking all for your input. I purchased an HP replacement toner for my 6p.

Printers Hewlett Packard Laserjet Peripherals