Switching OSs

I have the retail upgrade to XP Pro that came with a CD and product key
installed on my current computer. I am buying a new Emachines that comes
with XP Home, can
I just run this on the new machine to upgrade and then activate or do I need
to do something to remove it from the old computer first.

Then, I also wanted to know if the new computer which I haven't picked up
yet that
comes with XP Home can be used to install on my old pc.

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about switching

    XP Home on the new PC cannot be installed on any other system as it is an
    OEM disk and it also likely tied to the original hardware.

    If the retail XP Pro upgrade is a standard retail version and not an OEM
    version, then it can be used to upgrade XP Home to Pro on the new system but
    it must be removed from the original computer. If it has been less than 120
    days since you activated XP Pro on the original computer, when you attempt
    to activate on the new computer, you will be prompted to call a phone
    number. When you do so, just tell the operator you are removing it from
    your old system and installing on your new system.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Bruce" <test@videobyte.net> wrote in message
    >I have the retail upgrade to XP Pro that came with a CD and product key
    > installed on my current computer. I am buying a new Emachines that comes
    > with XP Home, can
    > I just run this on the new machine to upgrade and then activate or do I
    > need
    > to do something to remove it from the old computer first.
    >
    > Then, I also wanted to know if the new computer which I haven't picked up
    > yet that
    > comes with XP Home can be used to install on my old pc.
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi, Bruce.

    > can
    > I just run this on the new machine to upgrade and then activate

    Yes. If it has been more than 120 days since it was last activated on your
    original computer, you should be able to activate automatically over the
    Internet. If it has been last time, you will probably have to make a
    5-minute phone call (the number will appear when you try to activate),
    explaining what you are doing.

    > do I need
    > to do something to remove it from the old computer first.

    Yes, you should remove WinXP Pro from your old computer first. HOW you do
    this depends on how you installed it there originally. If you "upgraded"
    from Win9x/ME AND told it to preserve the files for the previous operating
    system, then there should be a Reversion option in Add or Remove Programs;
    use this to remove WinXP and restore Win9x/ME. If WinXP was "clean
    installed" or you did not opt to preserve the old files, then you will need
    to "clean install" the former Windows again. Before doing that, you will
    need to at least delete WinXP's boot folder (probably C:\Windows); it might
    be simpler to backup your data, reformat (especially if you've converted to
    NTFS), and clean install the previous Win9x/ME.

    > Then, I also wanted to know if the new computer which I haven't picked up
    > yet that
    > comes with XP Home can be used to install on my old pc.

    Not likely. That will be an OEM version of WinXP, which is permanently
    licensed to that specific computer and cannot be moved to any other.

    For some details, see this page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation.mspx

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Bruce" <test@videobyte.net> wrote in message
    >I have the retail upgrade to XP Pro that came with a CD and product key
    > installed on my current computer. I am buying a new Emachines that comes
    > with XP Home, can
    > I just run this on the new machine to upgrade and then activate or do I
    > need
    > to do something to remove it from the old computer first.
    >
    > Then, I also wanted to know if the new computer which I haven't picked up
    > yet that
    > comes with XP Home can be used to install on my old pc.
    >
    > Thanks

Computers Microsoft Windows XP