Windows background problems

Has anyone ever seen Windows98 break such that looking at the Display
properties doesn't give you all the tabs you expect. I have a machine with a
blue background saying there is a virus problem, and that I should run AV
(the backgrounds looks a lot like a Blue Screen of Death, same color, same
fonts, text in the middle of the screen, etc). I have done a scan with AVG,
found a bunch of stuff, and it now seems to be clean, but the background
still looks like a BSOD. I had thought to just change the background, but
when I go to Display properties there isn't a Desktop or Background tab,
just Screen Saver and Appearance and Settings.
Any thoughts? Is this machine broke beyond fixing? I don't think Win98 has
any kind of repair install, so am I looking at a complete reinstall? Or can
I just manually delete some file being used as the background image, which
wasn't caught by AVG as part of a virus?

Crossed fingers,
Gordon

Well, perhaps the answer is right there, hidden in the Display This, Turkey!
thread. Rational subject lines sure help, don't they?

Gordon

To double check with a second opinion, download/run F-Prot for DOS along with
it's latest defs:
http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/dos/

Next look up the virus/es at your av site and read thru any instructions for
removal to check again that no files were missed. I personally always look them
up at:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/vinfodb.html

If you still have the display issue, reinstall your video drivers.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Gordon Price" <gordon(thorn)@albedoconsulting.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone ever seen Windows98 break such that looking at the Display
> properties doesn't give you all the tabs you expect. I have a machine with a
> blue background saying there is a virus problem, and that I should run AV (the
> backgrounds looks a lot like a Blue Screen of Death, same color, same fonts,
> text in the middle of the screen, etc). I have done a scan with AVG, found a
> bunch of stuff, and it now seems to be clean, but the background still looks
> like a BSOD. I had thought to just change the background, but when I go to
> Display properties there isn't a Desktop or Background tab, just Screen Saver
> and Appearance and Settings.
> Any thoughts? Is this machine broke beyond fixing? I don't think Win98 has any
> kind of repair install, so am I looking at a complete reinstall? Or can I just
> manually delete some file being used as the background image, which wasn't
> caught by AVG as part of a virus?
>
> Crossed fingers,
> Gordon

"Gordon Price" <gordon(thorn)@albedoconsulting.com> wrote in message

> . . . I have done a scan with AVG,
> found a bunch of stuff, and it now seems to be clean, but the background
> still looks like a BSOD. I had thought to just change the background, but
> when I go to Display properties there isn't a Desktop or Background tab,
> just Screen Saver and Appearance and Settings.
> Any thoughts? Is this machine broke beyond fixing? I don't think Win98 has
> any kind of repair install, so am I looking at a complete reinstall? Or
can
> I just manually delete some file being used as the background image, which
> wasn't caught by AVG as part of a virus?

Start by checking whether your devices (e.g. sound
and video cards) have the right drivers (software) via
/ start / control panel / system
where faults are flagged in yellow.

--
Don Phillipson