KB891711

-- Hi, I am about to unanstall KB891711 to install the latest KB886179 .
But in "add/remove" I find I have Q823559-Q840315 and Q888113 updates.
Are these of any use to me or should I remove these also before the new
install?

Windows98 first.

Appriciate any advice.
Thanks
ron
8 answers Last reply
More about kb891711

    KB886179 is not being offered to me at Windows Update fro Win98SE.
    However, I have seen in the past that others sometimes get the offer
    before I do. At least, they seem to be talking about it before I can see
    it there. Anyway...

    What makes you think KB891711 needs to be uninstalled first? I've never
    heard of such a thing in normal circumstances, that a prior one must be
    uninstalled.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "ron.hosler" <ronhosler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    | -- Hi, I am about to unanstall KB891711 to install the latest KB886179
    ..
    | But in "add/remove" I find I have Q823559-Q840315 and Q888113
    updates.
    | Are these of any use to me or should I remove these also before the
    new
    | install?
    |
    | Windows98 first.
    |
    | Appriciate any advice.
    | Thanks
    | ron

    Don't uninstall anything.

    Don't install any updates other than those offered at
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    ron.hosler wrote:
    > -- Hi, I am about to unanstall KB891711 to install the latest KB886179 .
    > But in "add/remove" I find I have Q823559-Q840315 and Q888113 updates.
    > Are these of any use to me or should I remove these also before the new
    > install?
    >
    > Windows98 first.
    >
    > Appriciate any advice.
    > Thanks
    > ron

    When will Windows Update offer that one to me, PA; KB886179, I mean?

    --
    | Don't uninstall anything.
    |
    | Don't install any updates other than those offered at
    | http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com.
    | --
    | ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    | MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    |
    | ron.hosler wrote:
    | > -- Hi, I am about to unanstall KB891711 to install the latest
    KB886179 .
    | > But in "add/remove" I find I have Q823559-Q840315 and Q888113
    updates.
    | > Are these of any use to me or should I remove these also before the
    new
    | > install?
    | >
    | > Windows98 first.
    | >
    | > Appriciate any advice.
    | > Thanks
    | > ron

    Hi again,
    I would like to appologise to all who answered to this post, I seem to have
    caused some confusion.
    Why I posted this question was because I read in the post 5/11/2005 "
    uninstall kb891711 to install new version" and followd this link
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/cataloen/default.aspg/. and found the
    security update for windows journal viewer (kb886179). I now assume that this
    only applies if you have the program installed!
    Once again sorry . I appriciate all the vauable information I and many
    others gain from you guys, by just readin the addvice given.

    Thanks a million
    --
    ron

    "ron.hosler" wrote:

    > -- Hi, I am about to unanstall KB891711 to install the latest KB886179 .
    > But in "add/remove" I find I have Q823559-Q840315 and Q888113 updates.
    > Are these of any use to me or should I remove these also before the new
    > install?
    >
    > Windows98 first.
    >
    > Appriciate any advice.
    > Thanks
    > ron

    You are welcome. I see. That thread was probably speculating on whether
    one would need to uninstall the faulty KB891711 before taking the new
    one. Turned out it wasn't necessary.

    "Your requested page cannot be found", says your URL about kb886179.

    --
    | Hi again,
    | I would like to appologise to all who answered to this post, I seem
    to have
    | caused some confusion.
    | Why I posted this question was because I read in the post 5/11/2005 "
    | uninstall kb891711 to install new version" and followd this link
    | http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/cataloen/default.aspg/. and
    found the
    | security update for windows journal viewer (kb886179). I now assume
    that this
    | only applies if you have the program installed!
    | Once again sorry . I appriciate all the vauable information I and many
    | others gain from you guys, by just readin the addvice given.
    |
    | Thanks a million
    | --
    | ron
    |

    | "ron.hosler" wrote:
    |

    | > -- Hi, I am about to unanstall KB891711 to install the latest
    KB886179 .
    | > But in "add/remove" I find I have Q823559-Q840315 and Q888113
    updates.
    | > Are these of any use to me or should I remove these also before the
    new
    | > install?
    | >
    | > Windows98 first.
    | >
    | > Appriciate any advice.
    | > Thanks
    | > ron

    Buffer overrun in JPEG processing (GDI+) could allow code execution in
    Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer 1.5:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=886179

    => http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-028.mspx
    --
    ~PA Bear

    PCR wrote:
    > "Your requested page cannot be found", says your URL about kb886179.

    886179 points to the more encompassing

    ron.hosler wrote:
    > Hi again,
    > I would like to appologise to all who answered to this post, I seem to
    > have caused some confusion.
    > Why I posted this question was because I read in the post 5/11/2005 "
    > uninstall kb891711 to install new version" and followd this link
    > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/cataloen/default.aspg/. and found
    > the security update for windows journal viewer (kb886179). I now assume
    > that this only applies if you have the program installed!
    > Once again sorry . I appriciate all the vauable information I and many
    > others gain from you guys, by just readin the addvice given.
    >
    > Thanks a million
    >

    > > -- Hi, I am about to unanstall KB891711 to install the latest KB886179 .
    > > But in "add/remove" I find I have Q823559-Q840315 and Q888113 updates.
    > > Are these of any use to me or should I remove these also before the new
    > > install?
    > >
    > > Windows98 first.
    > >
    > > Appriciate any advice.
    > > Thanks
    > > ron

    Oh, my Lord, that is quite a long list of affected apps & just as long a
    list of unaffected ones! KB886179 yet is not offered to me at Windows
    Update, & I don't see it ever was. I do see at least KB833989 mentioned
    in MS04-028 has already come to me from Windows Update. So, I guess I'm
    OK, as I don't have the bulk of the affected apps that I can see,
    anyhow; certainly not any of the XP! OK, thanks.

    --
    | Buffer overrun in JPEG processing (GDI+) could allow code execution in
    | Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer 1.5:
    | http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=886179
    |
    | => http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-028.mspx
    | --
    | ~PA Bear
    |
    | PCR wrote:
    | > "Your requested page cannot be found", says your URL about kb886179.

Windows 98 Microsoft Windows