floppy write error

noname

I have a brand new floppy but when I try to put some file in it, first it
says that it is not formatted and even after formatting there is an error
message on blue screen. Any help will be highlyappreciate.

"noname" <noname@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have a brand new floppy but when I try to put some file in it, first it
> says that it is not formatted and even after formatting there is an error
> message on blue screen. Any help will be highlyappreciate.

The blue screen is the clue (assuming you started Win98 OK.)
There may or may not be an error in either the new floppy or
the old floppy drive, but there is also an error of some sort in
your Windows installation. Failure to format the floppy via
Windows ought to get you an error report but not a blue screen.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

I guess it's worth a try to...

Boot to Safe Mode (Hold F5 or Ctrl as you boot), &...

(0) Firstly, does the floppy drive work in Safe Mode?
Especially if so...
(1) "Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab"
(2) Open the "Floppy disk controllers" branch.

If there are more than one controller in this branch, you may have
a "ghost". Therefore, delete them all, & reboot to Normal Mode. Point it
to the folder that contains your .cabs, if asked.

But, if there is already just one driver there, then...

(3) D-Clk the controller that appears under it for Properties.
(Mine is "Standard floppy disk controller".)
(4) At the Driver tab, click the "Update Driver" button.
(5) Click the "Next" button.
(6) Bolt "Display a list of drivers...", & click "Next".
(7) Bolt "Show all hardware".

Examine the screen. Mine is "Standard", but I have four other
choices there. Do you? As one clicks them in the left "Manufacturers"
pane, descriptive info shows up in the right "Models" pane. Perhaps,
state what you see. It could be worthwhile to go to another and back to
the original just to shake things up. To switch, select one, & click
"Next".

(Soon, I must myself switch to the Compaq controller there. I wonder
when it was I mussed that!)

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"noname" <noname@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I have a brand new floppy but when I try to put some file in it, first
it
| says that it is not formatted and even after formatting there is an
error
| message on blue screen. Any help will be highlyappreciate.

What is the exact error message on the blue screen, please?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"noname" <noname@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a brand new floppy but when I try to put some file in it, first it
> says that it is not formatted and even after formatting there is an error
> message on blue screen. Any help will be highlyappreciate.

noname

thanks a lot for everyone especially PCR. I had to go to the last option u
suggested and which fixed the problem.
Now I just want to share my experience with everyone
after show all hardware I found many in the left pane. I selected them one
by one but when clicked next, windows told me that the action was not
recomnended. I went back to update driver stage and now opted for search for
a better driver and then in search locations there were 'windows update,
CDRom, Dcab(prhaps)' I cliked next. after all that I tried to put a file on
floppy(brand new), it said floppy was not formatted, I opted for quick erase
which didn't work and i had to go for thorough formathing. after that I was
able to put a text file on floppy and open it as well.
thanks again

Better state the error message then, as Glee suggested. Also, were there
any red/yellow ?/!'s on any icons in Device Manager? And what is the
floppy driver you ultimately did end up with? And was the floppy drive
reliable in Safe Mode?

--

| I guess it's worth a try to...
|
| Boot to Safe Mode (Hold F5 or Ctrl as you boot), &...
|
| (0) Firstly, does the floppy drive work in Safe Mode?
| Especially if so...
| (1) "Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab"
| (2) Open the "Floppy disk controllers" branch.
|
| If there are more than one controller in this branch, you may
have
| a "ghost". Therefore, delete them all, & reboot to Normal Mode. Point
it
| to the folder that contains your .cabs, if asked.
|
| But, if there is already just one driver there, then...
|
| (3) D-Clk the controller that appears under it for Properties.
| (Mine is "Standard floppy disk controller".)
| (4) At the Driver tab, click the "Update Driver" button.
| (5) Click the "Next" button.
| (6) Bolt "Display a list of drivers...", & click "Next".
| (7) Bolt "Show all hardware".
|
| Examine the screen. Mine is "Standard", but I have four other
| choices there. Do you? As one clicks them in the left "Manufacturers"
| pane, descriptive info shows up in the right "Models" pane. Perhaps,
| state what you see. It could be worthwhile to go to another and back
| the original just to shake things up. To switch, select one, & click
| "Next".
|
| (Soon, I must myself switch to the Compaq controller there. I wonder
| when it was I mussed that!)

noname

Ooooooooooooooops,
Problem not fixed 100%, when I add a file there is ablue screen telling
that therre was some write error but after that I can see file added to
floppy but many times it jsut tells the error without copying file to floppy.
If i go for tools-----check for errors it tells me that there are errors,
however after completing 'check and fix errors' temporarily I am successful
with only blue screen between me and succes that after blue screen error
message i can see file added to floppy.

How old is the floppy drive? it may be dirty....there are inexpensive cleaning
disks you can use. The drive heads may also be slightly out of alignment...see if
it helps to push in and hold slightly on one corner or the other of the disk when
trying to write. The drive may also be going bad.
You are trying this with more than one floppy disk, to make sure it isn't just a
flaky diskette, right?
--

> Ooooooooooooooops,
> Problem not fixed 100%, when I add a file there is ablue screen telling
> that therre was some write error but after that I can see file added to
> floppy but many times it jsut tells the error without copying file to floppy.
> If i go for tools-----check for errors it tells me that there are errors,
> however after completing 'check and fix errors' temporarily I am successful
> with only blue screen between me and succes that after blue screen error
> message i can see file added to floppy.

TRENDING THREADS