What do I do with a boot disk?

kelly

Ok here's the thing. I love XP but I am trying to format & reinstall 98 for
someone else and I got lost. I have the OEM CD and Product Key, I booted from
the CD and ran through setup. It didn't ask me for the key at all nor did it
ask me how I wanted to install; that is, the typical, custom, etc options.
When all was said and done, it booted to the desktop and lo' & behold,
nothing was changed. Did I essentially just do a repair install? Egad. 3
times before I finally decided cursing at it wasn't going to change anything.
So tomorrow I get the bootdisk, and this is what I think I am going to do.
Someone tell me the right way please.
1. Insert Floppy Boot Disk
2. Restart computer
3. Boot from Floppy and there will be instructions on how to F Disk or
format or whatever it's called in 98?
4. Insert 98 CD at some point in the process....
*sigh*
Help greatly appreciated...
Thanks in Advance
Kelly

1 Boot from the 98 Boot disk (or startup disk).
2 Initially choose start without CD support.
3 At the DOS Prompt (A:\.) type in "fdisk" and press the enter key
4 From the FDISK menu, choose #4 (hit the 4 key) to view how the drive
was configured.
If you only have one partition, it will be simple, if your have two
partitions, you will have to do two steps.
If the drive had a NTFS (or other non DOS system) you have to remove
the non-DOS partition first.
5 Press escape to get back to the FDISK menu.
6 If you have two partitions (or more) you must use option 3 to remove
the extended partitions first. Follow the screen directions. ESC to get
back to the main menu.
7 if you have only one partition, you go to option 3 remove the primary
partition. Follow the screen directions. ESC to get back to the main menu
8 Then use option 1 to create a primary partition and make it active.
9 Then exit FDISk and restart the computer (Ctrl+Alt+Del).
10 With this start, choose the option to start with CD support. Watch for
the drive letter assigned to the CD and put your windows 98 CD in the drive.
11 At the next DOS Prompt (A:\>) type in "format c:" and press enter.
12 When the format is complete, type in "X:\setup", where X is the
letter assigned to the CD drive.
13 Follow the on screen directions.
14 When you are done, check the Device Manager to see what drivers were
not found. Now comes the hard part, finding and installing the drivers for
the video, sound, modem and other included hardware.

"Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok here's the thing. I love XP but I am trying to format & reinstall 98
> for
> someone else and I got lost. I have the OEM CD and Product Key, I booted
> from
> the CD and ran through setup. It didn't ask me for the key at all nor did
> it
> ask me how I wanted to install; that is, the typical, custom, etc options.
> When all was said and done, it booted to the desktop and lo' & behold,
> nothing was changed. Did I essentially just do a repair install? Egad. 3
> times before I finally decided cursing at it wasn't going to change
> anything.
> So tomorrow I get the bootdisk, and this is what I think I am going to do.
> Someone tell me the right way please.
> 1. Insert Floppy Boot Disk
> 2. Restart computer
> 3. Boot from Floppy and there will be instructions on how to F Disk or
> format or whatever it's called in 98?
> 4. Insert 98 CD at some point in the process....
> *sigh*
> Help greatly appreciated...
> Thanks in Advance
> Kelly

kelly

*woot woot* I can do that! Thanks! Drivers shouldn't be tooo hard to find I
hope. I'll cross my fingers. Thanks again!
Kelly

"Richard Goh" wrote:

> [...]

> Ok here's the thing. I love XP but I am trying to format & reinstall 98 for
> someone else and I got lost. I have the OEM CD and Product Key, I booted from
> the CD and ran through setup. It didn't ask me for the key at all nor did it
> ask me how I wanted to install; that is, the typical, custom, etc options.
> When all was said and done, it booted to the desktop and lo' & behold,
> nothing was changed. Did I essentially just do a repair install? Egad. 3
> times before I finally decided cursing at it wasn't going to change anything.
> So tomorrow I get the bootdisk, and this is what I think I am going to do.
> Someone tell me the right way please.
> 1. Insert Floppy Boot Disk
> 2. Restart computer
> 3. Boot from Floppy and there will be instructions on how to F Disk or
> format or whatever it's called in 98?
> 4. Insert 98 CD at some point in the process....

It appears you over-installed which leaves all intact, otherwise the restore
disk would have formatted the drive first before installing fresh, returning the
OS back to its factory shipping state.
Could you please provide the manufacturer, make and model of the machine.
You mention only 1 OEM disk and many manufacturers, not all, provided 2 or more
so the user would have an option to either format/reinstall, or reinstall other
bundled software/hardware without destroying the OS.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok here's the thing. I love XP but I am trying to format & reinstall 98 for
> someone else and I got lost. I have the OEM CD and Product Key, I booted from
> the CD and ran through setup. It didn't ask me for the key at all nor did it
> ask me how I wanted to install; that is, the typical, custom, etc options.
> When all was said and done, it booted to the desktop and lo' & behold,
> nothing was changed. Did I essentially just do a repair install? Egad. 3
> times before I finally decided cursing at it wasn't going to change anything.
> So tomorrow I get the bootdisk, and this is what I think I am going to do.
> Someone tell me the right way please.
> 1. Insert Floppy Boot Disk
> 2. Restart computer
> 3. Boot from Floppy and there will be instructions on how to F Disk or
> format or whatever it's called in 98?
> 4. Insert 98 CD at some point in the process....
> *sigh*
> Help greatly appreciated...
> Thanks in Advance
> Kelly

kelly

It's not a restore CD, it's just an OEM copy of Windows 98. The machine is a
custom built box from a shop here in Nova Scotia, Canada so I doubt that
helps you any. Shouldn't over installing CHANGE something? It didn't install
it twice, there are no OS options upon boot up. Regardless, I have obtained a
boot disk and should be good to go from here now with that and the CD. Thanks!

"Brian A." wrote:

> It appears you over-installed which leaves all intact, otherwise the restore
> disk would have formatted the drive first before installing fresh, returning the
> OS back to its factory shipping state.
> Could you please provide the manufacturer, make and model of the machine.
> You mention only 1 OEM disk and many manufacturers, not all, provided 2 or more
> so the user would have an option to either format/reinstall, or reinstall other
> bundled software/hardware without destroying the OS.
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ok here's the thing. I love XP but I am trying to format & reinstall 98 for
> > someone else and I got lost. I have the OEM CD and Product Key, I booted from
> > the CD and ran through setup. It didn't ask me for the key at all nor did it
> > ask me how I wanted to install; that is, the typical, custom, etc options.
> > When all was said and done, it booted to the desktop and lo' & behold,
> > nothing was changed. Did I essentially just do a repair install? Egad. 3
> > times before I finally decided cursing at it wasn't going to change anything.
> > So tomorrow I get the bootdisk, and this is what I think I am going to do.
> > Someone tell me the right way please.
> > 1. Insert Floppy Boot Disk
> > 2. Restart computer
> > 3. Boot from Floppy and there will be instructions on how to F Disk or
> > format or whatever it's called in 98?
> > 4. Insert 98 CD at some point in the process....
> > *sigh*
> > Help greatly appreciated...
> > Thanks in Advance
> > Kelly

Badour once said...
OEM FULL INSTALL. This SE CD is designed to be installed to a blank
hard drive; however, there is a possibility that you can trick it into
upgrading. For info, go to:
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/upgrade.html Be aware that if you
buy an OEM disk, it might be customized for installation on a particular
computer; however, this will probably be primarily with a used disk.

Also, though Glee may disagree...
http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version
Those two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such that
they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a favorable
report.

Finally...
Be sure of your ProductKey...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
ProductKey "12345-12345-12345-12345-12345"

(1) "START, Run, RegEdit"
(2) Click plus signs beginning at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", & ending with
"Windows".
(3) Click "CurrentVersion" in the left pane under "Windows".
(4) Look in right pane for ProductKey.

That is the one that was used to install your current Windows. Jot it
down, as it may work if different from the one on your Windows 98 Manual
or CD case.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| It's not a restore CD, it's just an OEM copy of Windows 98. The
machine is a
| custom built box from a shop here in Nova Scotia, Canada so I doubt
that
| helps you any. Shouldn't over installing CHANGE something? It didn't
install
| it twice, there are no OS options upon boot up. Regardless, I have
obtained a
| boot disk and should be good to go from here now with that and the CD.
Thanks!

| "Brian A." wrote:
|
| > It appears you over-installed which leaves all intact, otherwise
the restore
| > disk would have formatted the drive first before installing fresh,
returning the
| > OS back to its factory shipping state.
| > Could you please provide the manufacturer, make and model of the
machine.
| > You mention only 1 OEM disk and many manufacturers, not all,
provided 2 or more
| > so the user would have an option to either format/reinstall, or
reinstall other
| > bundled software/hardware without destroying the OS.
| >
| > --
| >
| > Brian A. Sesko
| > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
| > Conflicts start where information lacks.
| > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| >

| > "Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > > Ok here's the thing. I love XP but I am trying to format &
reinstall 98 for
| > > someone else and I got lost. I have the OEM CD and Product Key, I
booted from
| > > the CD and ran through setup. It didn't ask me for the key at all
nor did it
| > > ask me how I wanted to install; that is, the typical, custom, etc
options.
| > > When all was said and done, it booted to the desktop and lo' &
behold,
| > > nothing was changed. Did I essentially just do a repair install?
Egad. 3
| > > times before I finally decided cursing at it wasn't going to
change anything.
| > > So tomorrow I get the bootdisk, and this is what I think I am
going to do.
| > > Someone tell me the right way please.
| > > 1. Insert Floppy Boot Disk
| > > 2. Restart computer
| > > 3. Boot from Floppy and there will be instructions on how to F
Disk or
| > > format or whatever it's called in 98?
| > > 4. Insert 98 CD at some point in the process....
| > > *sigh*
| > > Help greatly appreciated...
| > > Thanks in Advance
| > > Kelly

If you want to know more about partition problems and their solutions
and programming related issues, you can find the Book Contents ("Data
Recovery with & without Programming") on following link:

http://www.datadoctor.biz/author.htm

regards

Sachin