Scandisk hiccup?

Open scandisk
Click the advanced button
Uncheck "Report MS-DOS mode name length errors"
Click OK

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Rodney" <rodney@touch88gum.com.au> wrote in message
>I receive this warning everytime I do a "scandisk"
> I generally ignore it, but is this a potential problem?
> (There are about 15 errors pop up, all with "66character" cynosure)
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> http://cjoint.com/data/fnfrzgHWFd.htm

Assuming that the URL you posted is supposed to be a link to your error message,
what makes you think anyone will click a link to a file name like that?
fnfrzgHWFd.htm? Yeah, right!

Post your error message in plain text, in the body of your reply.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Rodney" <rodney@touch88gum.com.au> wrote in message
> I receive this warning everytime I do a "scandisk"
> I generally ignore it, but is this a potential problem?
> (There are about 15 errors pop up, all with "66character" cynosure)
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> http://cjoint.com/data/fnfrzgHWFd.htm

Alright....it *is* just an image of your error, and I see that cjoint.com does use
those random page names. So, regarding the error, and aside from the good advice in
the other replies, in this particular case there is no need to keep the files and
sub-folders in that location.

Open Windows Explorer or My Computer and navigate to this folder:
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player
Delete all files and sub-folders in the Flash Player folder, and do so on a periodic
basis, prior to running Scandisk.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Rodney" <rodney@touch88gum.com.au> wrote in message
> I receive this warning everytime I do a "scandisk"
> I generally ignore it, but is this a potential problem?
> (There are about 15 errors pop up, all with "66character" cynosure)
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> http://cjoint.com/data/fnfrzgHWFd.htm

Since this is a Windows application it is unlikely that you will need to
access the folder from DOS. If you do need to access it from DOS for some
reason, uninstall the application and install it into a new folder you
create at the root level. If you do not need to access it from DOS, then
set the Scandisk options to ignore this type of error (Advanced / Report
MS-DOS mode name length errors).
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Rodney" <rodney@touch88gum.com.au> wrote in message
>I receive this warning everytime I do a "scandisk"
> I generally ignore it, but is this a potential problem?
> (There are about 15 errors pop up, all with "66character" cynosure)
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> http://cjoint.com/data/fnfrzgHWFd.htm

If the domain was tinyurl you wouldn't hesitate, so why be concerted about
this one?
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> Assuming that the URL you posted is supposed to be a link to your error
> message,
> what makes you think anyone will click a link to a file name like that?
> fnfrzgHWFd.htm? Yeah, right!

Just feeling a little paranoid at the time I posted that. I am over it already.
;-) There *are* web sites that are set up for the sole purpose of installing
spyware and adware.....and I *would* hesitate to go to a tinyurl posted by someone I
did not know. I prefer links that are recognisable.
--

"Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> If the domain was tinyurl you wouldn't hesitate, so why be concerted about
> this one?
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> > Assuming that the URL you posted is supposed to be a link to your error
> > message,
> > what makes you think anyone will click a link to a file name like that?
> > fnfrzgHWFd.htm? Yeah, right!

Rodney

Gentlemen,
I do detect some jittery behaviour here. :)
However, I am delighted to see I have not been
scolded unnecessarily, and my nescience has been corrected.

Thank you very much indeed for your helpful advice,
(one and all)
It is sincerely appreciated.
Best regards
Rodney