closing program windows

Is there a keyboard shortcut to close all open program windows without
shutting down (similar to windows key+M to minimise)?
3 answers Last reply
More about closing program windows

    Marty19244 wrote:
    > Is there a keyboard shortcut to close all open program windows without
    > shutting down (similar to windows key+M to minimise)?

    No but there should be. Here's a list of the lot...

    Windows System Key Combinations
    F1: Help
    CTRL+ESC: Open Start menu
    ALT+TAB: Switch between open programs
    ALT+F4: Quit program
    SHIFT+DELETE: Delete item permanently

    Windows Program Key Combinations
    CTRL+C: Copy
    CTRL+X: Cut
    CTRL+V: Paste
    CTRL+Z: Undo
    CTRL+B: Bold
    CTRL+U: Underline
    CTRL+I: Italic

    Mouse Click/Keyboard Modifier Combinations for Shell Objects
    SHIFT+right click: Displays a shortcut menu containing alternative
    commands
    SHIFT+double click: Runs the alternate default command (the second item
    on the menu)
    ALT+double click: Displays properties
    SHIFT+DELETE: Deletes an item immediately without placing it in the
    Recycle Bin

    General Keyboard-Only Commands
    F1: Starts Windows Help
    SHIFT+F10 Opens a shortcut menu for the selected item (this is the same
    as right-clicking an object
    CTRL+ESC: Opens the Start menu (use the ARROW keys to select an item)
    CTRL+ESC or ESC: Selects the Start button (press TAB to select the
    taskbar, or press SHIFT+F10 for a context menu)
    ALT+DOWN ARROW: Opens a drop-down list box
    ALT+TAB: Switch to another running program (hold down the ALT key and
    then press the TAB key to view the task-switching window)
    SHIFT: Press and hold down the SHIFT key while you insert a CD-ROM to
    bypass the automatic-run feature
    ALT+SPACE: Displays the main window's System menu (from the System
    menu, you can restore, move, resize, minimize, maximize, or close the
    window)
    ALT+SPACE, N: Minimize active window.
    ALT+- (ALT+hyphen): Displays the Multiple Document Interface (MDI)
    child window's System menu (from the MDI child window's System menu, you
    can restore, move, resize, minimize, maximize, or close the child
    window)
    CTRL+TAB: Switch to the next child window of a Multiple Document
    Interface (MDI) program
    ALT+underlined letter in menu: Opens the menu
    ALT+F4: Closes the current window
    CTRL+F4: Closes the current Multiple Document Interface (MDI) window
    ALT+F6: Switch between multiple windows in the same program (for
    example, when the Notepad Find dialog box is displayed, ALT+F6 switches
    between the Find dialog box and the main Notepad window)

    Shell Objects and General Folder/Windows Explorer Shortcuts
    For a selected object:
    F2: Rename object
    F3: Find all files
    CTRL+X: Cut
    CTRL+C: Copy
    CTRL+V: Paste
    SHIFT+DELETE: Delete selection immediately, without moving the item to
    the Recycle Bin
    ALT+ENTER: Open the properties for the selected object

    To Copy a File
    Press and hold down the CTRL key while you drag the file to another
    folder.

    To Create a Shortcut
    Press and hold down CTRL+SHIFT while you drag a file to the desktop or
    a folder.

    General Folder/Shortcut Control
    F4: Selects the Go To A Different Folder box and moves down the entries
    in the box (if the toolbar is active in Windows Explorer)
    F5: Refreshes the current window.
    F6: Moves among panes in Windows Explorer
    CTRL+G: Opens the Go To Folder tool (in Windows 95 Windows Explorer
    only)
    CTRL+Z: Undo the last command
    CTRL+A: Select all the items in the current window
    BACKSPACE: Switch to the parent folder
    SHIFT+click+Close button: For folders, close the current folder plus
    all parent folders

    Windows Explorer Tree Control
    Numeric Keypad *: Expands everything under the current selection
    Numeric Keypad +: Expands the current selection
    Numeric Keypad -: Collapses the current selection.
    RIGHT ARROW: Expands the current selection if it is not expanded,
    otherwise goes to the first child
    LEFT ARROW: Collapses the current selection if it is expanded,
    otherwise goes to the parent

    Properties Control
    CTRL+TAB/CTRL+SHIFT+TAB: Move through the property tabs

    Accessibility Shortcuts
    Press SHIFT five times: Toggles StickyKeys on and off
    Press down and hold the right SHIFT key for eight seconds: Toggles
    FilterKeys on and off
    Press down and hold the NUM LOCK key for five seconds: Toggles
    ToggleKeys on and off
    Left ALT+left SHIFT+NUM LOCK: Toggles MouseKeys on and off
    Left ALT+left SHIFT+PRINT SCREEN: Toggles high contrast on and off

    Microsoft Natural Keyboard Keys
    Windows Logo: Start menu
    Windows Logo+R: Run dialog box
    Windows Logo+M: Minimize all
    SHIFT+Windows Logo+M: Undo minimize all
    Windows Logo+F1: Help
    Windows Logo+E: Windows Explorer
    Windows Logo+F: Find files or folders
    Windows Logo+D: Minimizes all open windows and displays the desktop
    CTRL+Windows Logo+F: Find computer
    CTRL+Windows Logo+TAB: Moves focus from Start, to the Quick Launch
    toolbar, to the system tray (use RIGHT ARROW or LEFT ARROW to move focus
    to items on the Quick Launch toolbar and the system tray)
    Windows Logo+TAB: Cycle through taskbar buttons
    Windows Logo+Break: System Properties dialog box
    Application key: Displays a shortcut menu for the selected item

    Dialog Box Keyboard Commands
    TAB: Move to the next control in the dialog box
    SHIFT+TAB: Move to the previous control in the dialog box
    SPACEBAR: If the current control is a button, this clicks the button.
    If the current control is a check box, this toggles the check box. If
    the current control is an option, this selects the option.
    ENTER: Equivalent to clicking the selected button (the button with the
    outline)
    ESC: Equivalent to clicking the Cancel button
    ALT+underlined letter in dialog box item: Move to the corresponding
    item

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    No. Try an app like this:

    CloseAll: http://web.tiscali.it/bk/freeware.html

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Marty19244"
    <Marty19244@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Is there a keyboard shortcut to close all open program windows without
    >shutting down (similar to windows key+M to minimise)?

    I don't know whether it is wise to fool with too many shortcut keys,
    dadiOH. Without a photographic memory, you never know what you may get!
    I have always been afraid of CTRL+Z, especially. But that's not the only
    one!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,