SHLWAPI. DLL issues

I have been having intermittant MSIMN faults related to the DLL above as
'invalid page faults' for weeks. Yesterday OE6 became unusable crashing
every couple of minutes after trying to send to NGs or going off-line.

I've scoured the web looking for fixes and unchecked the log-file
troubleshooting technique in 'News'. I've cleaned out as many unecessary
programs (down-loaded) as possible This morning (now) the fault hasn't thus
far appeared

Can anyone tell me what the story is with this fault? I'd be much
appreciated.

thanx,..Jason

http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/shlwapi.htm

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------

> http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/shlwapi.htm

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------

Thanx for the info. BTW I've just noticed AVG has picked up 6 viruses in the
last 2 days: Java/Byte/Verify Perhaps this had something to do with the
problem? Will confirm if this is the case.

Jason

> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> > http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/shlwapi.htm
> >

> Thanx for the info. BTW I've just noticed AVG has picked up 6 viruses in the
> last 2 days: Java/Byte/Verify Perhaps this had something to do with the
> problem? Will confirm if this is the case.

AVG will report Java.Byte.Verify when there is no actual malware on your system.
Where is it reporting as the location? I am betting it is in the Java cache (if you
use Sun Java) or in the TIF (if you use MS JVM). Try emptying the Java cache for
Sun Java, and/or the TIF, then run the AVG scan again.

If you are concerned that there may be trojans on the system, try cleaning your
system with the stand-alone app Sysclean:
- Create a new folder on your Desktop or the C: drive and name it Sysclean.
- Go here and download sysclean.com and the pattern files to the Sysclean folder:
- Unzip the pattern files from their .zip file into the Sysclean folder.
- Restart your computer in Safe Mode.
- Go to the Sysclean folder and double-click sysclean.com to start the scan.

When the scan is finished, use Notepad or Wordpad to look at the log it created. You
may need to locate the files it named there to manually delete them, if sysclean did
not delete them itself.

You also mentioned in your original post that you "unchecked the log-file
troubleshooting technique in 'News'". Does that mean you formerly had the box
checked, to keep a log, and that is when you were getting the errors?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> "Jason James" <associate@dodo.comzapspam.au> wrote in message
> >
> > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> > > http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/shlwapi.htm
> > >

> > Thanx for the info. BTW I've just noticed AVG has picked up 6 viruses in
the
> > last 2 days: Java/Byte/Verify Perhaps this had something to do with the
> > problem? Will confirm if this is the case.
>
> AVG will report Java.Byte.Verify when there is no actual malware on your
system.
> Where is it reporting as the location? I am betting it is in the Java
cache (if you
> use Sun Java) or in the TIF (if you use MS JVM). Try emptying the Java
cache for
> Sun Java, and/or the TIF, then run the AVG scan again.

You're right,..its in a couple of TIF created to store images. These were
due to another arr err,..family user. I'll negotiate a 'deletion'.

> If you are concerned that there may be trojans on the system, try cleaning
your
> system with the stand-alone app Sysclean:
> - Create a new folder on your Desktop or the C: drive and name it
Sysclean.
> - Go here and download sysclean.com and the pattern files to the Sysclean
folder:
> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp
> - Unzip the pattern files from their .zip file into the Sysclean folder.
> - Restart your computer in Safe Mode.
> - Go to the Sysclean folder and double-click sysclean.com to start the
scan.

> When the scan is finished, use Notepad or Wordpad to look at the log it
created. You
> may need to locate the files it named there to manually delete them, if
sysclean did
> not delete them itself.

Thus far AVG has picked up Trojan viruses in the past. If my DLL probs come
back I'll go to Sysclean.

> You also mentioned in your original post that you "unchecked the log-file
> troubleshooting technique in 'News'". Does that mean you formerly had the
box
> checked, to keep a log, and that is when you were getting the errors?

It had been checked for many months,..I was not aware the log-file was
cumulative. Now that I have unchecked it , the error messages and OE crashes
has stopped. Does this make sense?

thks for the interest,..Jason

> snip
> > If you are concerned that there may be trojans on the system, try cleaning
> your system with the stand-alone app Sysclean:
> snip
> Thus far AVG has picked up Trojan viruses in the past. If my DLL probs come
> back I'll go to Sysclean.

That's up to you, but I wouldn't wait for that if it were my machine.

> > You also mentioned in your original post that you "unchecked the log-file
> > troubleshooting technique in 'News'". Does that mean you formerly had the
> box
> > checked, to keep a log, and that is when you were getting the errors?
>
> It had been checked for many months,..I was not aware the log-file was
> cumulative. Now that I have unchecked it , the error messages and OE crashes
> has stopped. Does this make sense?

Well, it indicates that the log file may be involved in the errors, yes? I don't
know if the log is cumulative, but if it is (and I am guessing it is), it may have
become too large and started causing write errors.